Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DISCUSSION: Are bears necessary for Mt.fang?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

Post DISCUSSION: Are bears necessary for Mt.fang?

This is entirely my opinion and I'm not trying to flame or anything.

In MT.fang it seems the mobs (levels 2-5 mainly) are easy to kill; especially by a mage or archer. In nuri; however, the mobs were a lot harder, and a bear was almost a must have for any run. In MT.fang before I even get up close to the enemys they're usually already dead. That makes me feel inessential to any team I'm playing with.

Bosses are a different story however. It seems like unless there's a good tank, the whole team usually dies. But tanks AKA warriors aren't just for tanking bosses; they're also for CC (crowd control). In MT.fang there isn't much to control, mobs are very weak compared to MT.fang's predecessors', mobs don't dish out enormous damage (remember gravestones, Tko's, etc. from nuri?) That's what bears where for: keeping one-hit-kills off of the "squishys".

When the next campaign comes out I'd like to see the awesomeness of CC returned. Not just one hit kill everything and leave poor lil' tank in the back.

Feel free to discuss your opinion in the comment section belooooooooww. (imagine slow motion voice)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I resent tht lol jk but yea i.feel.so left out now but i changed to a,bow bear so lol im doin my part aswell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

Well the hardest part for bear CC in Fang is the ridiculous dodge of the mobs. It's almost a less than half chance youd pull the enemy in the first place, even with a 100% hit.

-------AEO-------

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NECROREAPER For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

I'm dual specced but usually use my 61 Orlok set in Mt. Fang. Switching to Sanguine Bow set for Emma. Not to mention the 50% dodge on the mobs.
    I notice the lack of CC needed in Mt. Fang as well. Not that it matters much cause most the bears I ran with in Nuris usually wouldn't lead in or if they did they scattered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Hm, I'd certainly say so. Good bears make it that much easier when doing runs, they're the only ones who can clump up the mobs to set them for an easy kills. Also, during bosses, the bears survivability helps out a lot. If i, as a bird pulled the boss myself, I would probably be dead in a matter of minutes, without kiting or using up all my pots.
    On the same issue, are birds necessary? It seems as well, that the mt.fang mobs take lesser hits to kill. A team of images and bears would probably have no problem getting through the runs.
    Or how about mages, are they necessary?, with my glyph armor equipped and its awesomesauce regen ability, I have never used more than the 25 HP and man a potions during runs. (Well actually..that's all based on elixir runs, if i took that factor out, i'd be squishy as ever.) I think this trend of elixir running is to blame for the lack of team play during runs. I'm not complaining, I'm one of them pot heads.
    Bottom line, each class has their own part during runs, each of them make the runs more efficient. I always love a good bear that knows how and where to pull mobs during runs

the way to change the world is by doing one act of kindness at a time, care to buy some cookies?

PL: Zaltiar Lvl66| SL: Hellcharger/Alibi Lvl 41Com|Zaltiar Lvl38 Op| Warbringer 38

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default lol

Lol the below thing is from rwj

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Depends- if you use plat 4x elixires then no- you dont. But run MT famg without elixures and it definately helps having a good tank.
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

With elixir, no ... without elixir, very much so. Truth be told, good bears can speed up things even with the 4x.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

They're necessary, but this is the least necessary they have been ever, IMO.

Mobs dodging Beckon makes the core of our CC futile, boss mechanics favor ranged/running away, so less utility for us in both the mobs and bosses overall. Still nice to have one, just not as good as in BS and Nuri's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Even my mage sometimes fails its complete combos when I use firestorm.
    Firestorm is probably the lowest hit chance of all mage's attacks, so yah.
    Buuuuuttt anyways(slow motion voice), bears are the hardest class to play.
    Mages are just buff and heal/revive and then some spam skills.
    Birds are basically wanted if they just sit and shoot with AUTO.
    Bears are usually shooed away in turn for another bird unless they're using a longsword or are using DEX and pot 4x COMBO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    They're necessary, but this is the least necessary they have been ever, IMO.

Mobs dodging Beckon makes the core of our CC futile, boss mechanics favor ranged/running away, so less utility for us in both the mobs and bosses overall. Still nice to have one, just not as good as in BS and Nuri's.
    Mind you, I have been noticing that I die less at certain bosses with a good tank... the operative word being good.

I vote for more CC for the next dungeon too!
    Uepauke
    PL mage (66) and SL engineer (25), also Loonybird (65) in PL and others
    Alterran Royal Guard and The Farmers' Collective

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I miss the haunted symphony, the best map ever if I vote. In mt fang u simply don't need bear,especially mele bear. Round up death train is simply more efficient for clearing map compared to beckon. And for boss, most of them u can't tank them(I'm talking about non-elixir )
    I'm really really sad now, goodbye my bear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts

I think it just depends on your team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NECROREAPER View Post
    Well the hardest part for bear CC in Fang is the ridiculous dodge of the mobs. It's almost a less than half chance youd pull the enemy in the first place, even with a 100% hit.
    Indeed! Specially those mages, very hard to pull...

I recently started enjoying my new dex bear that I got to lvl 65 I've joined a lot of PUGs and try to stay ahead of the pack, do my pull-combo at the corner or against the wall then move on -- so I guess it's not so much as mob control but as Zaltair mentioned, makes it an easy kill for the pack and faster to clear the map.

I did a run with two other bears, that was fun... I still feel like a noob, but even so... I'm still enjoying it!

Find me in game and teach a bird how to be a bear ign: drearasy
    Rasi: Grumpy old arcane mage (AL)
    Haowesie: Confused & oblivious bird (PL)
    Aestrella: Sexy insecure mage wannabe (PL)
    Drearasy: Crazy-eyed dex-bear (PL)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Necessary? Yes. Required? No.

As Elly said, bears are as useless as ever IMO. The enemies low difficulty level and high dodge really makes tanking lose purpose and CC difficult. I only feel useful when A) Beckon is successful and pulls the mobs, which isn't too often or B) At a few bosses. Some bosses, like Aunt Emma, are almost useless to have a tank with IMO. Since her feet stay planted, and the party needs to back into the wall, other classes can use some ranged skills to hit her, bears on the other hand can pretty much only hit beckon for the small added damage and auto.

I figure it's nice and handy for the party to have one that knows what he's doing there helping, but I can't say with confidence that it's a better choice of a party member than, say, another Mage.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Man, I totally feel this way. The most satisfying thing about playing a bear is getting good beckons and then watching your team (and you) blast them all down in 1 wave of attacks. It just feels clean and organized. Having stragglers all over the place just leaves me with an uneasy feeling.

That being said, when I am on my bird or mage, I still like having a bear around just so its possible to have mega combos, but I have noticed things are faster/easier when it was a full group with just birds & mages.
    Kiitz - Int/Dex Bear (66) || Kiitx - Dex Bird (66) || Kiitzx - Int/Dex Mage (66)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kiitz For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

I haven't dusted off my bear yet as it is my #5. So these are only my experiences running with bears most times with 4x combo groups.

With a good bear
    - runs are only slightly slower
    - I use slightly less health pots
    - there is no effect on my death count
    - it feels a tad more relaxed

With a bad bear
    - runs are painfully slow
    - I have to use more pots because of stupid round up ideas
    - I die more frequently because of the same ideas
    - I am really annoyed

But tbh it already was like this before. In Fang it just seems a bigger problem because easy to kill mobs with high dodge seem to be bear kryptonite. The main benefits of having a bear in my group are mega combo possibilities and during some boss and mini fights.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby!!! For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

I think a lowering of difficulty was needed. The difficulty was getting too big in Nuri's. This difficulty raise started at BS and that is what is annoying me. If the mobs are being described easy in Mt. Fang I say good because they brought back some regular terms. Were bears needed in the low levels where one could solo it?

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cahaun View Post
    I think a lowering of difficulty was needed. The difficulty was getting too big in Nuri's. This difficulty raise started at BS and that is what is annoying me. If the mobs are being described easy in Mt. Fang I say good because they brought back some regular terms. Were bears needed in the low levels where one could solo it?
    You dont know difficult unless you were there when the swamps were new lol. The difficulty is fine for an end level campaign, and should get progressively difficult with each coming one.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedRyder For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NECROREAPER View Post
    soooo true and annoying....
    Pakax | Eclipse GM
    Pakax - 76 Elf | Pakaxx - 71 Eagle | Pakaxxx - 71 Grizzly | ZeroKarma - 71 Zero Death Eagle