Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Fix Movement Speed in PVP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Default Fix Movement Speed in PVP

This glitch makes pvp almost impossible for those with movement speed awakenings. What happens is if a player has a certain amount of movement speed, the radius for auto-locking aimed shot or nox etc. doesn't work for a few seconds. For example,

if I run up to a player very quickly (since I have movement speed) and shoot an aimed shot, it will miss, even though I'm well within the radius of autolock aimed shot. What the system does is it acts as if I haven't reached that spot yet, and was instead going normal speed (even though the screen shows I'm right there next to the player. What's strange is that in pve this isn't an issue - if I run up to a mob, and use aimed, it autolocks immediately. Please fix ASAP as it makes pvp impossible for me.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45216&d=1383296273

Ign: frynoodles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wowdah View Post
    This glitch makes pvp almost impossible for those with movement speed awakenings. What happens is if a player has a certain amount of movement speed, the radius for auto-locking aimed shot or nox etc. doesn't work for a few seconds. For example,

if I run up to a player very quickly (since I have movement speed) and shoot an aimed shot, it will miss, even though I'm well within the radius of autolock aimed shot. What the system does is it acts as if I haven't reached that spot yet, and was instead going normal speed (even though the screen shows I'm right there next to the player. What's strange is that in pve this isn't an issue - if I run up to a mob, and use aimed, it autolocks immediately. Please fix ASAP as it makes pvp impossible for me.
    Its not the radius nor glitch. Server cant keep up.

Your position while using the skill =/= spot where its gonna hit.
    Other than that I suggest to don't use movement speed awakenings in pvp and switch them to pvp ones, like everyone does.
    Issue about missing skillshots because of this have been sorted out while ago with explanation I think.

Aka Ares/Twerrk/Mystery. :]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

It's not a fix to say "Just don't use X, Y, and Z" in pvp since they don't work. That's not how a game should work in general. I'm not sure how the server can't keep up if it can keep up with pve —*there should be some way to fix this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wowdah For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

yes please fix

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

"In pve this isn't an issue"
    Yes it is for me and always has been a problem. If I'm speedy my first auto attack never lands unless I stop in front of mob and wait for them to activate. A skill can hit with speed but not my auto, and I use charged auto a LOT for "charmed"

I assume it's a ping/latency issue that they can't fix, but I'd love to be wrong on this one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

it has to do with the way sts servers work . Im sure there is a name for this but i dont remember , so i'l just explain : im sure you noticed that during a ping spike or before a disconnect you can freely walk around even tough there is no data exchange going on - the movement of your character that you see on the screen has nothing to do with the server or connection quality . So naturally because of ping the servers are slightly delayed on your position( you can guess how this affects skill range ) . Usually its not that big of a difference so you dont notice it , but with ss and awakenings your move speed is so high that even a small amount delay ( ping ) will have a big impact .

Don't use op speed if your ping is high , on your screen you see your character without delay but for the servers your not actually there , the time that you wait for auto lock to work depends directly on your connection speed , not much sts can do to improve that .
    Last edited by Gouiwaa9000; 02-20-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Ign : Derp - endgame main / Gouiwaa : will be a twink once twinking is back / Derpynuts : lvl1 , my troll account

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts

It's kind of an issue in PvE as well. Even with only 200% MS.
    Example: Trying to dodge bombs or red zones in mausoleum, shouldn't MS give players the advantage to take control of a split second? In this scenario dodging bombs or red zones. This isn't the case tho, same issue as with the auto locking as mentioned above.
    Hopefully STS can do something regarding this and word towards a fix.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abuze For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Guys, I'm not talking about auto attacks, I'm talking about skills — I've run many many many maps in pve with my speed and have pretty much 0 problem with my skills autolocking on mobs near me (that is, they don't randomly miss like they do in pvp). Yes, auto attack maybe doesn't work very often, but as long as my SSS, aimed, and nox work I'm happy. In PVP, that doesn't work, nox and aimed always miss if I run up to an enemy. In essence, the game is punishing me for having speed, when instead, speed should be a luxury and help people in pvp.

PS: Even when I had 50 ping this was still an issue, so I assume something can be done to fix this (if it works at normal speed, why can't it work at higher speeds? Can nothing be done?).

But I agree it could be a problem in some scenarios in pve as well, so thus just really want a fix in general to this problem. If something new is added to the game, then it would be optimal if it didn't have drawbacks that couldn't be fixed.
    Last edited by wowdah; 02-20-2018 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

What you are referring to is "desynchronize" or "desync".

It happens in many games, and is often used as a cheap tactic. Example: In Diablo 2, melee characters would stack speed items to purposefully disappear (desync) from the server in order to invisibly close the gap between them and their target. On your screen you look perfectly normal, but on your opponents screen you disappear then magically reappear next to them when you stop and the server catches up to you. You could also desync ranged attacks, by either using items to cast/shoot super fast, or first desyncing using run speed then cast/shoot.

In AL, i wouldnt be surprised if some rogues are using desync to aimed shot through obstacles and calling it pro.

Now will it ever get "fixed"? I highly doubt it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Azebor For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

^ Yes but that isn't true since when I quickly appear in front of an enemy, THEIR AIMED SHOT hits me while mine doesn't. This means the server does indeed register me in that spot in some sense or another, but not in the sense that my aimed autolocks etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Im not saying your aimed shot teleports with you, it likely gets fired from where you were last registered on the server PRIOR to desync. Therefore, your aimed shot is "missing" because it is being fired from way back (likely outside of auto-target range). Also, when you re-sync infront of the enemy, and they fire at you, obviously you eat an aimed shot.

Disclaimer: This is theorycrafting based upon my experiences playing other games. So it may or may not apply to AL.
    Last edited by Azebor; 02-21-2018 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Yes but what I'm saying is that I resync IMMEDIATELY in front of my enemy, like I rush up to him and he/she kills me instantly, whereas my aimed shot shoots as if I was way back there. That disconnect doesn't make sense to me, unless there was another underlying problem with movement speed (otherwise I should be able to run up to an enemy really quick and be invincible-ish for 1-2 seconds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Yes but what I'm saying is that I resync IMMEDIATELY in front of my enemy, like I rush up to him and he/she kills me instantly, whereas my aimed shot shoots as if I was way back there. That disconnect doesn't make sense to me, unless there was another underlying problem with movement speed (otherwise I should be able to run up to an enemy really quick and be invincible-ish for 1-2 seconds.
    Unfortunately, what you see as your location on your screen wont be any different when in or out of sync. Just like how goeiwaa's post details how you move perfectly fine on your screen during ping spikes. So you cannot tell me when you exactly resync.

However, what your opponent sees on their screen is more in line of where the server says you are, meaning, when they shoot you based upon what they see on their screen, you die.

Bottom line is, in AL i doubt you can effectively use desync to close the gap to the target like what you wish you could do. This is because you cannot desync consistently enough, long enough, or cover a far enough distance quick enough to overcome AL's ez-mode auto-targeting system. The only time i think desync would help you here is if you use Line of Sight techniques.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

You're simply not understanding me. I know that what I see on my screen won't be any different whether or not I'm in sync (or even connected, which is why if ping = 50k my fps is still fine). You don't get my next point.

Say my opponent is behind a rock. I quickly circle up to him and tap aimed. In that instant, my opponent taps aimed at the same realtime as I do. His aimed will hit me while my aimed will go astray. BECAUSE my aimed goes astray, what y'all are saying is I'm out of sync, that is, that my LEGIT position is elsewhere, i.e. in a place outside of my opponent's autolock radius. BUT THEN HOW can he hit me with his aimed? By all of your logic, he shouldn't be able to hit me with his aimed EITHER since I'm apparently "out of sync" and thus in another location, outside of his radius. Note that I tested all of this with my opponent STANDING STILL. So I find it hard to explain this movement speed catastrophe with mere "server" and "ping." There has to be more to it than that (or just refute this evidence, which is paradoxical in nature).

Note that I tested this with 100 ping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Think of it like this, when you stack move speed you eventually will move so fast that u will create a shadow image of yourself that follows you like some ninja.

That shadow image is where you are on the server, and is where you will be shooting from if you press the button. So even if you run up next to the opponent on your screen, your shadow is a couple steps behind. So in your rock example, you are standing next to your opponent, but your shadow is still being blocked by the rock, resulting in the rock eating your arrow.

However, on your opponents screen, they only see 1 thing: your shadow image. So when they see your shadow image walk up, they shoot and u die because you already wasted your shot into the rock.

Try running beyond your opponent to give your shadow time to catch up.

If that doesnt work, then the only logical explanation is that STS hates you. Good luck.

19.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #16
    Spacetime Studios Dev
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    210 Posts

Unless you are standing still, your server position is always a bit behind the client position (it's always been like this) and the faster you are, the further behind you are. Missing skills and auto-attacks is a side effect of this.

Short of removing / nerfing speed sets, there isn't anything to be done about this as I understand it.
    | | |

| |

Need Help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lojack For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

I get what you are saying , its still the same thing . They dont kill you instantly , they could fire as soon as they see the real you in range and it would be to fast for you to notice . I suggest trying to use 2 devices at once in duel and see how it works for yourself (^^ i hope this is not against ToS , would love some info on this )

Ign : Derp - endgame main / Gouiwaa : will be a twink once twinking is back / Derpynuts : lvl1 , my troll account

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Well darn, thanks for response. I guess I won't be pvping again :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

101 to speed running with Speed Set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lojack View Post
    Unless you are standing still, your server position is always a bit behind the client position (it's always been like this) and the faster you are, the further behind you are. Missing skills and auto-attacks is a side effect of this.

Short of removing / nerfing speed sets, there isn't anything to be done about this as I understand it.
    Isn’t it better to nerf speed to the point where servers can keep up then? If an item is faster than server can update, it’s inherently flawed.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post: