Thread: How to make a video and get the orange antenna

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Default How to make a video and get the orange antenna

I know a lot of you guys want the orange antenna, and can find uses for the plat as well. So this is a quick and dirty tutorial on how to make and submit a video, Im rushing through this because I just want the antenna, and want to get back to the game :P But if you take more time and effort using these methods, maybe you can get at the prize plat. didnt even think of the antenna till I had a 36, im half way through my second one so took some time to do this using only free software

The thread for the contest is here look at the requirements before starting off

Things you will need:
    1. K-Lite Codec pack, for video codes available here if you haven’t already installed it
    2. Camstudio. A free, lightweight screen recording software that can be downloaded from here
    3. Windows Movie Maker - free software for windows users

edit: cant get the images to show up full size, thats where most of the guide is, just click on em, trying to get em to show up

1. Setting up Chrome for recording
    You can record the entire screen, but unless you have like a supercomputer or something this will take up a lot of disk space, be relatively slower than a smaller section of the screen and take longer to process and render. So zoom out of chrome to record.

2. recording in game footage
    Open up Cam Studio
    In the menu go to Region > Fixed Region. You will be prompted to select a region, select the area on the chrome browser with the game showing.
    Go to Options > Cursor Options and make sure Show Cursor is selected, this will help people look at what you are clicking on screen.
    Click record and start playing the game. Remember to minimize cam studio. Do not record for more than about 15 minutes at a time. Stop after you are done, and save the files in a folder. This will take some time, do not record another video while the first video is being saved. Wait for it to get saved first.

Thats it! record the video footage of what you need now

Note: If you start star legends before camstudio, camstudio will prompt you that it was unable to set the keyboard shortcuts, ignore these prompts, it doesnt matter

3. Editing the video
    Just follow the steps here, basically you have to
    -Import video files from the specified location (make sure ”create clips for video files” is unchecked)
    -Use cut and trim to chop down the video into tiny bits and position these in the timeline, the image shows how
    -add titles to the chopped up bits
    -add fx to these bits, do not overuse this, make the video interesting in content instead of fx
    -add music to the video. You can get free tracks from jamendo, archive.org and last.fm . I used mine from last.fm if you are worried about copyright issues, use tracks from archive.org, as that is all public domain music.
    -export the finished video, upload to youtube and e-mail sts

The recording was about two hours of recording over the past week whenever I felt like it. The editing took two hours. Typing out this tutorial and the images took another two and a half hours. So this is real easy, go for it!

This is what I managed to knock together

Hidef version

lowdef version (this is the quality you get for a lower filesize that you can email):

now I can use other editing software as well, dont hesitate to try out something like adobe permiere pro or sony vegas, it has much of these features and more... but the approach is more or less the same. if you need clarification or help with the editing, ill reply here and keep watch on the main thread as well

good luck!
    Last edited by Slant; 11-06-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts

Great video! Really tells you about the game!