Thread: How Scammers are dealt with

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts

Default How Scammers are dealt with

So I just wanted to say that with my experience in AL, all the scammers I seem to encounter, always run off free without any consequences.

And I guess what prompted this is that a good friend of mine was scammed by another friend. The scammer resultantly changed his ign and after learning we had discovered his real name, decided to transfer all of his items and gear to another character, thus taking all of the items he had scammed and running off free with no trouble.

I feel that scammers have too many ways of hopping away free without reaping any of the consequences. They can change there name, they can create a new character to transfer goods on. This disgusts me in every way shape and form and I feel that this has to stop, as this for me has been causing most of my friends to quit AL. How easily, it is to scam someone. It has in fact driven me to the breaking point and has nearly caused me to quit myself.

I honestly feel that the large proportion of scammers in AL has been what has caused the most drop in players who play AL, not the lack of things to do in the game itself. If i didnt have to worry about logging on everyday to see one of my friends who got scammed, I, myself would be much more motivated to log on and play myself.

And sometimes, none of which is Sts fault, STS doesnt do anything about the scammers when reported because there simply isnt enough information that players are able to provide as proof that someone scammed. I would also like to add that its often very difficult to provide proof, as with the increasing numbers of players turning to trading on the street, the common day to day action of screenshotting or recording a trade simply becomes to tedious to keep up with.

I would just like to hear the community's opinion on how easy it is to scam someone and get away free without consequences as well as any possible solutions you guys might have to offer. Thanks a ton Everyone ^_^.
    Last edited by Spheresome; 03-18-2018 at 06:36 PM.

@ the intersection of Tea. Earl Grey. Hot and Damn Fine Cup of Coffee.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts

The issue is trusting the wrong people with your stuff. I don't know how a person is scammed other than giving someone something of their own free will expecting this person to return it. Why do they do this sort of thing?

In 5+years there is only 2 people I loan things to...and I've known them for 5+ years. Bottom line...If you can't afford to lose it, don't loan it.

The solution to stopping scammers starts with the individual. Don't trust anyone. Don't be a show off. Just say NO!

Do this and you'll never be scammed.

Join the AL Community Discord!https://discord.gg/VrMWZ8t
    Retired Coffeegirl, Veep Of Arlor, 2016

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Java For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post
    The issue is trusting the wrong people with your stuff. I don't know how a person is scammed other than giving someone something of their own free will expecting this person to return it. Why do they do this sort of thing?

In 5+years there is only 2 people I loan things to...and I've known them for 5+ years. Bottom line...If you can't afford to lose it, don't loan it.

The solution to stopping scammers starts with the individual. Don't trust anyone. Don't be a show off. Just say NO!

Do this and you'll never be scammed.
    Amen

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

I do not really understand how all your friends are losing items either. In a way, it is better for them to learn about this in game than about it for their toys, their mail orders, their phones, their gift cards, and their bank accounts.

I actually do not understand all this lending people stuff either. I have done some but I can count all of my "lends" over the last 8+ years on the fingers of my hands.

I also do not understand anyone going through with a hinky trade. I have stopped trades just because the other person claimed they were lagging. Even if they are faultless, lag will cause unnecessary stress on both sides. Better to trade with someone else or wait until their internet is stable. Moreover, there is no rush with any trades. Any trades not on auction should follow the 5-second rule: count 5 seconds before tapping on any confirm button. As long as all the steps are being followed, a slow trade is fine with me.

As for super fast trading because you want to sell your item you got at a super cheap price for a super high price, well, learn from your greed. Do enough trading and you will find something on auction for a cheap price. As for selling, prices fluctuate all day long, everyday. No one item will make or break your bank. If it does, you are trading at too high a level. Again, learn from your greed.

Multi-step step trades involving more than 1 trade and/or with more than 2 parties carry the most risks and I would think most people would be very reluctant to do these, i.e. would not do these at all.

Recognize the risks and adjust your expectations accordingly. The higher the risk, the more likely someone can just run away with your item or your gold. Your expectation should be to lose that item or gold. Once your expectation matches the risk, the game is quite simple.

Unfortunately for your friends, any game involving auction or trades will has this "scam" aspect to it. Sooner or later, you will overpay or underpay for an item. Sooner or later, you will underestimate or overestimate your need for an item. These actually are just human nature and part of life.
    Last edited by Fyrce; 03-18-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts

I think the most important thing when trading is to stay calm.Sometimes people get excited of getting that item they desire which can cause people to rush the trading process.This leads to scams,what I recommend is double checking everything before confirming trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

I agree with Java. Part of the reason there are so many scams is because people let their guard down. Scammers know this and they try to trick them in a way of getting your stuff. I was in a guild for awhile, and I’ve had this person right up ask me if they could use my leprechaun. I can be a pushover sometimes, so I told him to wait and “not now, but later.” Soon it got to be every time we were on at the same time. He just would not leave me alone. After awhile I grew sick of it and lent it to him, which is not a very smart thing to do XD. I told him give it back every time before I logged off. Then it grew to, “can I have it for one more hour?” I said ok but I was a little wary of it. He did give it back, but let me tell you a secret: IT IS NOT ALWAYS THE CASE!!!!!!!

If sts took down scammers, 50% of the game would be gone. Just be wary when buying stuff through trade. My brother got scammed 50k once...it is not a big deal now but back in the day... xD.

Honestly, people need to learn to say no to stuff if they feel like it’s a scammer. Always go with your gut. Think it through before buying stuff from scammers. It’s what you do before making a purchase irl, if you think about it. The best thing to do is wait awhile to consider your motives for lending and ask yourself if it is a good decision. Lots of times you might change your mind about the person. It’s also similar to promoting guildies to officers. When you give them that position, you are basically giving them part of your guild. However, sometimes that trust or bond between officer and leader is fake and the leaders who had spent months, perhaps years, building up their guild lose it all.

You know you’ll get punched, so why do you want to lend it? I try to be nice, but sometimes that gets me nowhere, even in life. I’ve opened my heart out to ppl and ended up getting tricked and slapped in the face. Idk why I kept forgiving them tbh if they kept doing it....

Anyway try to see what I’m trying to say regardless XD if you read it that is...
    Last edited by Tippertwo; 03-18-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts

I understand where you are coming from tipper, its just that when a friend scams another friend, its one of the worst things they could possibly do. Especially in my case where all they do is brag about being richer and better...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Spheresome For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts

But I think Everyone is missing my point. I'm not saying its easy to avoid being scammed, I'm saying those with the intentions of scamming others and who have succesfully scammed others get off too easy and dont get punished for their actions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts

Is scamming another person not an infringement of the terms of service? Scam is not permitted and it also ruins another players playing experience, thus infringing the terms of service in 2 ways. Additionally, I feel as if the AL community loses more people to scammers than if sts were to inflict punishments upon those who have unjustly scammed others.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Spheresome For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spheresome View Post
    Is scamming another person not an infringement of the terms of service? Scam is not permitted and it also ruins another players playing experience, thus infringing the terms of service in 2 ways. Additionally, I feel as if the AL community loses more people to scammers than if sts were to inflict punishments upon those who have unjustly scammed others.
    there have been certain instances where a :
    1.)a person becomes close to a person through a guild or just by talk.
    2.)then as time progresses.. he starts suddenly giving you some stuff worth 5-10m saying you to try..
    lets suppose he trusts you with 5-10m if you do have a lb vanity on you.
    3.)then after some time he will say "bro, can i try your lb vanity for a minute.. i will show to my friend.. he say im poor lol"
    4.)now the owner of lb says i can if you give me insurance/or he can even ask for trust..
    so what happens is this person would lend him items worth 20+m just to show his trust thinking that be is going to get a bigger haul of the lb vanitu for 80m+ when...
    The Lb owner takes off with his 20m fot his own greed..

The point here is that.. in these trust scams(NOT ALL) .. BOTH PARTIES HAVE SOME INTENT TO CHEAT.

imagine if the lb owner thought..ok he gave me 20m worth stuff.. i will trust him amd gift his lb vanity...
    the other guy would have eloped with it.. making this guy the victim..
    so personally i feel.. that scamming should not even be a bannable offence and is totally on you if you make the choice to lend that gold/items to a person.. i mean..
    WHY would you do that without expecting returns?.. this makes both parties malicious.. and guilty to be a scammer depending on who goes first.. if a person A got scammed. he will call all his friends and report B.. and vice versa if IN THAT EXACT TRADE,IF B got scammed..
    so lastly.. i say to the victims..
    Dont be greedy.. and lose even your stuff for your greed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts

Im sorry but I dont quite understand your logic..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

No , if you get scammed your dumb and you won't get refunded simple as that. Scammers get away because its your fault that you trusted item to another player, moderators cannot do anything nor devs, its completely up to you scammers won't be banned, because its your fault you trusted them . Simple as that.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Im sorry but I dont quite understand your logic..
    My logic is this..
    ==>the victims are also potential scammers.

@ the intersection of Tea. Earl Grey. Hot and Damn Fine Cup of Coffee.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts

But I think Everyone is missing my point. I'm not saying its easy to avoid being scammed, I'm saying those with the intentions of scamming others and who have succesfully scammed others get off too easy and dont get punished for their actions.
    Lending "scams" are not scams. The word you're looking for is gullible.

Anyone that wants to "try on an item" gets immediately added to my ignore list.

I'm suspicious of anyone who tries to befriend me by "giving" me things. "Beware of strangers bearing gifts"

I'm not keen on ppl asking how much money I have or how much I spent on "x" item. Gets my spidey sense tingling.

Keep your circle of friends small.

Adopt a few rules for friending new people.

Just because they are officers or guild masters in your guild doesn't automatically make them trustworthy.

Just because they appear rich doesn't mean they are trustworthy.

Don't buy expensive gifts for your new gf/bf or flavor of the week. It usually ends up badly. Sugar Daddies and Sugar Mommas just end up with Diebeetus!!

Join the AL Community Discord!https://discord.gg/VrMWZ8t
    Retired Coffeegirl, Veep Of Arlor, 2016

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

true...
    and thats why these (not scams) fails rather, is on you and not on the person who likes the item too much to give it back to you who gave him without taking any insurance in the first place..
    this is NOT a scam..
    a scam which is bannable i think is when 1.)someone tries using phishing websites to lure you or....
    2.)tries to sell you game items/acc for real life money and tries to elope with it.
    3.)pretending to be a sts mod and asks you to lend the item.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

unfortunately if you lend your equipment to someone can’t be considered scam if not lent back. And it’s true that you shouldn’t trust anyone.
    BUT
    -people who will to sell an item that’s not the intended one (old lepre/lunar scam for example)
    - who “forget” a zero in their offer
    - who claim to double your money
    - ask to wear your vanity to take a picture (happened to me yesterday)
    - Etc
    and in the end scam you while willing to do it, ruin the game experience and imo should be banned, as for TOS.
    I can’t think that good feelings like trust and joy to share can be faults. It’s not right.

Not easy for devs to take care of it as most of the time no proofs. All countermeasures I can think about have more cont than pros......
    If there would be a competition for stupidity, I would be second. Cause I’m stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts

just make big banner all over Arlor saying: GIVE OR SELL, NEVER LEND!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

"O.M.G. You have the most amazing wallet. Let me try it for 10 minutes. Trust me. I will give it back! I would never steal! Never!"

Real Life: Bahahahahahahahahaha!
    In Game: Ok. <an hour later> Wait. Is he coming back???

Star light, star bright...

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fyrce For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Spheresome you cant expect StS to punish players for you or your friends bad judgement. How many times do we hear the phrase "dont ever give anyone something your not willing to lose" or some variation of it. Yet people still do it everyday.