Thread: we only can assign 8 skills? why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default we only can assign 8 skills? why?

Ok so why we only assign 8 skills (4 per swap) when we can have more than 8 skills?

Why is this different than PL ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Its been brought up in the past.. unfortunately you can only have 8 slots currently. It was discussed that the skills could either be laid out like PL which im not to fond of myself, or another page of skills.

I had suggested another page of skills, though instead of clicking one way for all 3 have a main and a left and right skill page set up.

Another good poing that gets brought in to the equation is when we hit all 8 skill slots with 6 skill points used in each what will happen to the others? Will these be spent on other dormant skills? though keeping in mind we will not be able to map the other skills so they will be unused points (wasted points).

No light was shone on this topic, but im sure the Devs have taken all into account from the feedback and changes for the better will be implemented in the future

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blurryeyes:476011
    Ok so why we only assign 8 skills (4 per swap) when we can have more than 8 skills?

Why is this different than PL ?
    The answer is in your question.

STS didnt want just a copy paste of PL.
    And having a different type of map skills is just one of the distinction in place.

To add Bod post:

This light layout takes less space on screen since it is just in corner.

Also, STS I think is trying not to only make it a spam skills game in pve/pvp.
    8 skills anyway is more than enough.

Later when more max skills even if not practical, u can reassign other skills b4 certain pve maps. Some are more usefull than other dpdin situation.

At least it forces you to think how to tune better your avatar.
    Last edited by Kakatoa91; 11-09-2011 at 03:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

It creates strategy not a button masher. Basically what you said. ^^

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

hmm the game is not really made for spamming skills, doesnt pay off much, and you are more likely to waste mana... being able to use 8 skills properly on a map takes some quick thinking as it is, its easily possible to use just four or six skills for most of a map, seen some skills being heavily misused (nothing more than OP lurch), sending off creeps close to barrels and away from the crowd in the heat of an attack, or two mandos on a map using gravity well whenever it refreshes, sending all the others running between the two frantically...
    players in the game told me that 8 skills are too few and that there are games with like 40+ skills, and playing on all of them was one of the main pleasures of the game, but I dont really agree, as im perfectly comfortable using these skills as they are given. Tuning your chars skills to just the right levels for where and how you play is pretty tough to get right on these 8 slots anyway. Almost always the optimum build for one map does not work out as good on another map, and some skills work better on lower levels but not on higher ones. Also, many skills are best at one, or are most energy efficient at 5, or are practically useless any more after 1, so maxing out all your skills is not really a good bet. Wudnt mind a few more tho, guess theres a slot for at least one more

have given out points to 9 skills on my engie tho, with a good team im perfectly comfortable removing rev and replacing it with 1 pain, but ive only done this with my engie
    Last edited by Slant; 11-09-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

a quick(ish) solution would be to have 4 passive and 8 active skills then you could invest skill points into everything and still have 8 special moves
    STS SUBREDDIT
    Reddit / Steam have claimed me and my soul. aka less Spacetime games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Bod, wasn't there a bunch of posts back in the Beta-test days about making people specialize a bit more? You could still be a generalist kind of char, but having only 8 skills available really means you have to choose--are you trying for highest DPS? Pulling aggro? Healing? Defense? Offense? What's your role in a group going to be? In a way it's frustrating because I want one of everything. In another way it's good because it makes me think about how I want to use the char and concentrate only on the skills that'll help it fulfill that role.
    Last edited by CanonicalKoi; 11-09-2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: typoooo--replacement fingers are on back-order
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Because 7 8 9!!! oh wait that's not right...

I'm assuming they'll eventually max out the levels past 6, because as Bod said, putting points in skills you're never use after the others are maxed is just a waste.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=62120&dateline=131973  8744
    Kahlua/Knowledgebase - Star Legends Help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CanonicalKoi View Post
    Bod, wasn't there a bunch of posts back in the Beta-test days about making people specialize a bit more? You could still be a generalist kind of char, but having only 8 skills available really means you have to choose--are you trying for highest DPS? Pulling aggro? Healing? Defense? Offense? What's your role in a group going to be? In a way it's frustrating because I want one of everything. In another way it's good because it makes me think about how I want to use the char and concentrate only on the skills that'll help it fulfill that role.
    Sure were! Its been brought up still now and again.

Exactly as Kaka and yourself and others have pointed out, hit that nail right on the head! More skill involved alot more thought goes into every skill point you have to give basically needing to know what skills you have and why you have them forbyour build.. other than spamming and hoping for the best

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlua View Post
    I'm assuming they'll eventually max out the levels past 6, because as Bod said, putting points in skills you're never use after the others are maxed is just a waste.
    Exactly what PL had done at 5 and decided to raise to 6 per points to a skill to cause this from happening.

Can go either way,

More skill slots, Extended Skill tree (more 'swaps') = Alot to implement

Increase Skills points per Skill = Very little to implement (Pretty much options already there just an increase)

Only thing I will say though is, Please... I repeat please 'do not' change it like PL! All skills taking over half of the UI HUD etc.
    Last edited by BodMaster; 11-09-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Also, if I remember correctly, when I first started PL the skill selection was the same as what we have on SL. I believe they changed it later to allow all 8 skills to be shown at once. I believe the devs may like that version better.
    PL Characters: Azumel Hapexamendios Dazamo
    SL Characters: Azumel Hapexamendios Dazamo
    DL Characters: Azumel Lilit

Alaska, Left the heat on & melted my Igloo...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I like to have all my skills accessible at all times, just the way I have always played. Never been a fan of having to switch Hotbars in the middle of a fight just because you don't have room on your screen for more.

This really did bug me a lot when I started SL, really liked the Options in PL for button layouts. Later down the road after playing for a while, I barley notice. I just comes 2nd nature now.
    Proud Officer of Infinite Union
    Downloads -36 Commando * Http -36 Operative * URL -36 Engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

I think the only class that really has an issue with not enough skill space is the commando. Maybe it's just my play style...but my Engineer had no problem only using 8 or less skills, and the same went for my operative. However, with my commando, depending on the build and situation, I could definitely see myself using all the available skills.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=62120&dateline=131973  8744
    Kahlua/Knowledgebase - Star Legends Help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

You know why there are limited active-skill slots?

Because the last slot on the skill-list for each class will be a Passives section! Once you reach the required level to unlock passives, you can tap that slot to open the Passive-skills-list. There will be probably 5 in there, with a variety of effect both offensive and defensive.

--

Well, that's how I imagine it anyway.
    Gandalf—Level 21 Arcane Legends Sorcerer
    Redeemed—Level 12 Sorcerer twink

Nighttrooper - Level 40 Commando [retired]
    Nightarcher - Level 60 Avian Archer [retired]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nightarcher View Post
    You know why there are limited active-skill slots?

Because the last slot on the skill-list for each class will be a Passives section! Once you reach the required level to unlock passives, you can tap that slot to open the Passive-skills-list. There will be probably 5 in there, with a variety of effect both offensive and defensive.

--

Well, that's how I imagine it anyway.
    LMAO!

When first reading that then, believed that you had some inside info

Though that would be amazing!!!!!!!! lol