44 Posts

Default Balanced staff for bosses

Anyone tried it?
    Mage 71: Dalledalle Warrior 66: Dallemanden

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

I use it. On dark attunement, the staff works pretty good when enemies deals significant dmg to you. In maus runs is useful for Umbral mass(far better than drag staff), Misshapen when use spin attack, Vory and Lich. Im luminous templar and Lich's white shield nerfs my dmg, so i use drag staff in dark pool when this shield. If purple shield is on, i swap to Balanced staff out of pools. I like to use magma aa with this staff.

Last goblin event was very good against Mother. Also i feel that if warrior uses Horn of Renew the proc effect decreases. I hope this can solve your doubts

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluehazee For This Useful Post:

Somewhere beyond and between here and nowhere...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by avikk View Post
    Lower damage reduction you have higher the damage. So ye
    How does Damage Reduction affects Damage? And why are they inversely proportional?
    Retired
    Tired of Dead Guilds & Offline FL? Click Here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoNuke View Post
    How does Damage Reduction affects Damage? And why are they inversely proportional?
    If you apply damage reduction debuff on someone, for example 15%. They will deal 15% less damage than they normally would do. It's same with damage reduction buff (elixir, nekro shield for example)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

What you said is right, if A is doing damage and B is using Damage Reduction buff then B will loose less HP then normal. Same way if Boss applies Dmg reduction debuff on A then A will do less damage to Boss. (Though its not same percentage, the formula include level and armor into consideration as well).

Anyway that was not my question to avik, read the chain of comments. The quote:
    Quote: "Also i feel that if warrior uses Horn of Renew the proc effect decreases"
    Reply: "Lower damage reduction you have higher the damage"

Which got me confused because:
    Horn of Renew's shield absorbs damage same as mage's shield. = damage reduction on caster; and as per him it = caster doing higher damage???
    Yeah I also don't really get it tbh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nohealth View Post
    If you apply damage reduction debuff on someone, for example 15%. They will deal 15% less damage than they normally would do. It's same with damage reduction buff (elixir, nekro shield for example)
    What you said is right, if A is doing damage and B is using Damage Reduction buff then B will loose less HP then normal. Same way if Boss applies Dmg reduction debuff on A then A will do less damage to Boss. (Though its not same percentage, the formula include level and armor into consideration as well).

Anyway that was not my question to avik, read the chain of comments. The quote:
    Quote: "Also i feel that if warrior uses Horn of Renew the proc effect decreases"
    Reply: "Lower damage reduction you have higher the damage"

Which got me confused because:
    Horn of Renew's shield deflects damage. = damage reduction on caster? = caster doing higher damage???
    Retired

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

What i tried to explain is that the more dmg you take, more dmg you deal with this staff. We could say that it works like a mirror.
    This are my feelings after use it, but since very few mages use it, it has not been easy to share impressions.
    I dont even use arcane shield with this staff, trying to take the more dmg possible.
    Also i forgot to add Cursed Captain on the bosses where it works very good.
    Sorry about english grammar >.<

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehazee View Post
    What i tried to explain is that the more dmg you take, more dmg you deal with this staff. We could say that it works like a mirror.
    This are my feelings after use it, but since very few mages use it, it has not been easy to share impressions.
    I dont even use arcane shield with this staff, trying to take the more dmg possible.
    Also i forgot to add Cursed Captain on the bosses where it works very good.
    Sorry about english grammar >.<
    Yes I understand what you are saying, and it make me wonder why it works like that. The proc (dark attunement) doesn't mention anything as such, hence I was curious to know what is avik's theory.
    Retired

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by avikk View Post
    Curse, the skill as well as the proc, is the reflection of damage back on the enemy which it has just dealt to you.

Lower your damage reduction, armor is also damage reduction, the higher the amount of damage being dealt to u becomes.

Why people who use curse don't get the damage reducing spec in PvP. Also why the curse PvE Nott's deal so much damage with curse.
    So you are saying that the Proc Dark attunement works like curse skill.
    The description of the proc says: Darkness curses enemies, causing them to take damage when attacking.

Hmm there is not much info here so lets go with your theory.

Edit:
    I went ahead and tested how curse works, as per my tests it isn't the reflection of damage back on the enemy.

Armor/Damage Reduction buff/Shield has no affect on how much damage is dealt to the enemy. The damage on the enemy was same everytime they striked under the affect of curse, irrespective of how much Armor I had, if I used the Arcane Shield skill or used the Damage Reduction buff elixir.

Raw Damage/Damage Passive/Damage from Pet/Damage from elixir did change (significantly) the amount of damage dealt to the enemy everytime they strike under the affect of curse.

Conclusion: Only the Damage stat(s) (Raw/%Dmg/BonusDmg) is considered for curse damage.
    Personal Conclusion: Pretty useless skill for pve, Devs should buff and tune it.
    Last edited by PsychoNuke; 07-19-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    Retired

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PsychoNuke For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

So you are saying that the Proc Dark attunement works like curse skill.
    The description of the proc says: Darkness searches out a nearby enemy to deal additional damage.

Hmm there is not much info here so lets go with your theory.

Edit:
    I went ahead and tested how curse works, as per my tests it isn't the reflection of damage back on the enemy.

Armor/Damage Reduction buff/Shield has no affect on how much damage is dealt to the enemy. The damage on the enemy was same everytime they striked under the affect of curse, irrespective of how much Armor I had, if I used the Arcane Shield skill or used the Damage Reduction buff elixir.

Raw Damage/Damage Passive/Damage from Pet/Damage from elixir did change (significantly) the amount of damage dealt to the enemy everytime they strike under the affect of curse.

Conclusion: Only the Damage stat(s) (Raw/%Dmg/BonusDmg) is considered for curse damage.
    Personal Conclusion: Pretty useless skill for pve, Devs should buff and tune it.
    i do agree this was asked a couple of time a while ago what actually mage's curse skill is useful for in pve which is pretty much it does nothing ....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Curse does nothing for mages, but for mobs it absolutely destroys.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zojack View Post
    Curse does nothing for mages, but for mobs it absolutely destroys.
    Probably because mobs don't cause as much dmg as players also some mobs have much more health than players.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehazee View Post
    I use it. On dark attunement, the staff works pretty good when enemies deals significant dmg to you. In maus runs is useful for Umbral mass(far better than drag staff), Misshapen when use spin attack, Vory and Lich. Im luminous templar and Lich's white shield nerfs my dmg, so i use drag staff in dark pool when this shield. If purple shield is on, i swap to Balanced staff out of pools. I like to use magma aa with this staff.

Last goblin event was very good against Mother. Also i feel that if warrior uses Horn of Renew the proc effect decreases. I hope this can solve your doubts
    i am contemplating to give up flame staff to use on Boss since DS is nerfed, wonder if better to use balance staff now on bosses o.o or is creeping gun process beterr?
    Last edited by will0; 07-10-2018 at 04:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

anyway sold my flame staff and bought a balance staff so far so good on bosses, just that notice sometime the curse AA wont process on some bosses

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Ds still works, better than hex fire on boss, but not as much as before. Also, i feel single ds works better than single hex fire in lvl71 m6 on normal mobs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

For the curse skill, i also did a few tests in pve on mobs. Conclusion is the same as above, it s useless. There is no reduced damage on me, there is no increased damage on mobs. When pvp, cursed rog often dies when attacking me. So, pvp might be working.
    ***new question: does curse skill work on the new boss of infested? Will it reduce boss' damage on us? Is it similar to the balanced staff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts

#nerfbalancestaff coming soon?
    Perhaps at lvl 76 cap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Also,whats the diff btwn a normal or charged curse? Haha, sry if u feel overloaded by my questions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Abuze View Post
    #nerfbalancestaff coming soon?
    Perhaps at lvl 76 cap
    a rogue in mage thread "asking" "speculating" "hintint" for nerf.. typical

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by will0 View Post
    a rogue in mage thread "asking" "speculating" "hintint" for nerf.. typical
    aw don't get too butthurt again, its just a little something with all the weapon nerfs lately :P