Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Booting

(This is just an opinion, so some of you might disagree).

I find that it's rather rude when people boot you right away with reasons like: k, s, and random letters I guess. I prefer when people ask you to leave,
    with comments like: "Level 56 farming," or "Thrasher or boot, sorry," or "level 60 grinding."
    Like I said, I hate it when people do this, especially since I'm only level 57.
    Any thoughts?
    (remember, only an opinion and my preference).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts

Join guild members or friends? Or you can just ask i f there's room? Just a thought.... But have you ever considered maybe they find it rude your just joining the game like you were invited?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

I have to agree that I prefer when people ask me to leave because how am I supposed to know if a PUG game (that has some open slots) is actually full or even a hosted game for that matter? Also, there are many without guilds, and good friends are hard to come by. If I join a hosted game, I usually do ask if there's room (but sometimes I'm booted with a letter before I can even ask or the level even loads!), but if it's a PUG game I don't consider it rude to join because it doesn't seem presumptuous to join an open game

Proud Member of Eclipse
    PL: Rocshana[main, lvl 75]
    AL: Roc [warrior] with my trusty puppy Crescent

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TANKKAAR:479450
    Join guild members or friends? Or you can just ask i f there's room? Just a thought.... But have you ever considered maybe they find it rude your just joining the game like you were invited?
    Isn't that what the join feature is for?? I wouldn't consider it rude. I'd say he is utilizing the features of the game.
    Zheobird Level 71 Full Dex
    Zheomage Level 71 Full Int
    ZheobearLevel 71 Dual Dex

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Sometimes people are in a hurry and don't want to have to type out a reason every time. I'd prefer it if someone asked me to leave too and some people do, but if people are using elixirs or holding a spot for a friend, I don't get upset if I get booted with "S" or some random letter. It is their game, they can do whatever they want, whether I like it or not...I joined THEIR game.

If you expect everyone to be as polite as you, you will be disappointed, unfortunately. I always ask nicely for someone to leave if I need to keep a spot open, and many forumers do, but a lot don't.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZHEOTARE View Post
    Isn't that what the join feature is for?? I wouldn't consider it rude. I'd say he is utilizing the features of the game.
    And the person booting for whatever reason they feel like is "utilizing a feature of the game" as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

I despise it too, until I started getting into the habit of hosting my own games. Having seen both sides, I understand why people boot for that reason.

Platinum Elixirs=Timed=Money. Therefore, spending an amount of time booting players with full messages EVERY time adds up. If it's just one or two, I'll give them the full message, but when players start piling in, I am not afraid to boot for one letter. I know it sucks as I've been booted many times like that, but since I have seen both sides of "The Boot", I have learned not to mind it.

Most people aren't cruel, even that one letter symbolizes a reason of their actions. Just food for thought.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Mr. Moogerfooger.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    Did your ninja just ninja your ninja? rotss

EDIT: You deleted one of your many ninjas. -.-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Did your ninja just ninja your ninja? rotss
    I can neither confirm nor deny if I ninjad my ninja. I would have to kill you if I did. Silently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

I can neither confirm nor deny if I ninjad my ninja. I would have to kill you if I did. Silently.
    I have it in browser history, got enough proof. (:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    I have it in browser history, got enough proof. (:
    Yeah, I accidentally attached it first and had the dreaded Double Ninja.

Anyway....back to the post....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts

It is annoying

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

And the person booting for whatever reason they feel like is "utilizing a feature of the game" as well.
    I agree with that. In no way did I say a person was in the wrong for booting. They are allowed to boot for whatever reason they like, whether I feel it is rude or not. My comment was in reference to...

Quote Originally Posted by TANKKAAR View Post
    But have you ever considered maybe they find it rude your just joining the game like you were invited?
    Zheobird Level 71 Full Dex
    Zheomage Level 71 Full Int
    ZheobearLevel 71 Dual Dex

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

I totally agree with the OP, but booting is a very valid part of the game and responsibility is not just on the host but also on the participants to help reduce booting...

There's plenty everyone can do to reduce it.

I put a few tips together to help with this and many other frustrations. http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...270#post324270

Here's a short and long section on booting.... hope it helps...
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    Booting
    • It happens and pays to just let it go.
    • To avoid booting - Ask before joining games
    • To avoid booting - Ask if it's ok to join and maybe what type of runs they are doing.
    • Never buy Elixirs until you have permission to stay.
    • Never join a game and run straight in the fray.
    • Don't get offended with single letter boot reasons. The host might have been busy. Find another game.
    • Never engage in an arguement with the host or the booted player.
    • For Hosts - Where possible use a password protected game.
    • If booting try where possible to give a valid reason. At least a 'sry', if mid battle. A valid reason goes a long way to diffusing an issue before it even starts.
    • It is rarely acceptable to boot players halfway through a map, or even at a boss if they helped you get there, at least warn them first if something isn't right, better still just remake.
    • Booting before the boss drops doesnt increase your chances of getting a pink, and is extremely rude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    Booting

Booting when it happens can be very frustrating, but booting does have it's place and is an important part of the game. Where it often falls down is the lack of communication, so here are some tips to ensure booting is always carried respectfully so it doesn't result in angry "i got booted" posts.

- Being Booted -
    Try to ask before joining friends in maps. There's a 4 in 5 chance they aren't the host.

Always ask when entering maps. Ask if it's ok to join, and maybe even what they're up to. This is someone else's game. That group could be there for a specific reason and might be waiting for someone else, who's spot you've just taken. That other person could be waiting to get into the game to play with the team they've played with for the last 2 hours. They may be stopping half way through (i.e. not killing keeper) so this might not be the game for you if you need to kill the keeper. Asking right at the start will save a lot of hassle if you're not wanted in that game.

Never buy Elixirs unless you have been told you can stay. It is an entirely avoidable waste of your Gold/Platinum if you get booted after buying one.

When joining a map, especially with unknown players, don't assume anything. They all may have a playing style so fit in with them and understand their style until you become part of the team. If you think you can improve the game in anyway, only offer your suggestions for change after a run or two, or when you think it is suitable.

NEVER join a game and run straight into the mobs whilst everyone else is standing around. They maybe trading, sorting something out, discussing a planning, going the the toilet, grabbing some food, or anything. Wait and ask.

If you get booted with a single letter. please don't be offended. The host may have been mid boss battle and unable to juggle fighting, booting your and the constant 'let me in' requests from his best friend. Just move onto the next game there are loads.

NEVER engage in an argument with the host if you get booted, or the player who was booted. Its a waste of yours and their time. If what they did is reportable, simply report them. If it isn't count to ten and walk away. Even consider putting them on your own ignore list if you think they were rude but engaging with them is a sure fire way to start an argument and them adding you to their own ignore list. The host is in the middle of a game after all and they haven't got time to discuss it. Ignoring you is the only way to stop you talking whilst they're fighting.

- Booting Others -
    Where possible, use a password protected game if you are running the same team over and over as it will avoid unwanted problems

Always explain where possible, to new entrants, what your game is for so they are clear if they can help of contribute to that game.

If booting try to always include a reasonable explanation. If its not possible then at least say 'sry', it goes a long way to reducing stress levels.

It is not acceptable to boot players half way through a map, or even at the boss if they have helped you to get there, unless they are being rude or unhelpful. You should normally warned them first really. But better still just remake, start a new game (with a password) and don't allow them to rejoin.

Do not boot players if they buy Elixirs after you have let them know they can stay.
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redbridge For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZHEOTARE View Post
    Don't get me wrong here.... I don't think it's rude if people join an open game either but road goes both ways is what I'm trying to get at. Also as mooger has already pointed out the boot feature is just another in game took that these people are utilizing. TBH I find it just as easy to send a PM that says "full" to the person as booting and typically they leave with no whining...lol... but it never fails if I boot I always get that nasty PM telling me off...Hahaha

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TANKKAAR For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

I mean, at least they are getting booted with a random letter instead of some really silly reason, like wearing Big Luck

(I could not resist, I may feel the wrath of said player soon....)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Smile

I emphatically agree with Redbridge's advice - very sound. I have personally been forced to use single letter or "." boots under pressure but I've tried to give reasons - though I think maybe I'll just leave it at "sry" in the future rather than give a frank "bad bear" reason that will start a flame war.

On the other hand, here are the booting reasons I've seen that are perhaps less justifiable (not thinking anyone will disagree they are poor, just sharing horror stories):
    • idiot
    • noob
    • various profanities
    • premier example: after spamming me and guild co-GM with dungeon invitations, we join and my co-GM (who is still a better player than I am and is the one that taught me to strafe) shortly gets booted with "full". This is maybe a reason to not frantically invite every online "friend", especially repeatedly. When she got booted I left and when he would not respond to questions even after leaving the dungeon he got de-friended and we've never played with him since.

Some personal notes I feel are related to the theme of booting, group/team playing, etc.:

We're only a few months short of a year playing now (joined between the March 'big luck' and April Easter events though it took me a few months to find and join the forums.) We've learned more than just how to strafe and do combos. We've learned that when you find people that are polite, play well, are flexible and supportive (like when you are learning their pattern in a dungeon they don't get mad and boot you for going the wrong way) - treat those people like gold. Or better, platinum! Nothing is more important not just to dungeon success but to having a good time than people you can respect not just as players but as who they are (or at least how they behave.)

An excellent example to whom I'd like to give mad props - the *alio characters (all in Legendary Looters, I think.) Mature, skilled, pleasant and a great asset in the dungeon.

I'll get off my gratitude soapbox now.
    2.718281828459045235360287471352662497757247093699 95957496696762772407663035354759457138217852516642 74274663919320030599218174135966290435729003342952 60595630738132328

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

My problem with this subject is that the forums are cluttered with these repeat threads. There are threads for complaints and threads like Redbridge's showing how to deal with it. Other than extremely rude booting, I am not sure why this bothers people so much. Either find another game or host you own. Maybe it's just me....
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TANKKAAR View Post
    I don't think it's rude to join a game that isn't passworded. I agree with OP. It is rude to be booted before you even get a chance to spawn. That's just my opinion though. I don't really get tore up, I just find another game.