Thread: Initial Thoughts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Talking Initial Thoughts

Hello Everyone,

TLDR; The game is a blast -- I think STS has a real gem here. Keep it simple, keep it fast, don't establish player hierarchy.

What I love:
    Here's my problem with most games: First, as a working 9-5er, I don't have the luxury of building a character up from the beginning, so that some crazy number of hours later, I can start playing a game competitively. And second, my free time is very much fragmented during the day, I may have half an hour here, or five minutes there. It is rare to find a game that satisfies those two requirements, while also providing a balanced, captivating, and entertaining experience that keeps me coming back for more -- and I believe STS has done a fantastic job in doing exactly that. It's highly addictive, and I could easily see this game becoming wildly successful.

Specifically:
    • I love the simplicity: Get in, spend as much time as you dare, get out. Play for 5 minutes or an hour, your adrenaline is pumping the entire time.
    • The balance: No player hierarchy, no imbalance between the five minute quickie player and the 30 hour dedicated player. Even the highest tier player can be toppled by the lowest of tiers if they're really not paying attention. If they are, it might take a firefight, or cooperation between players to take down the top guy. I'm not sure if the game is pure skill, or just pure craziness, but I love it. Stick it to the man! Power to the people!
    • The willingness to try every possible combination and permutation: Since you haven't spend hours working on leveling up, you can try things out without worrying. Worst comes to worse, you spend five minutes leveling back up again.
    • Combat variety: The core principle of combat in the game is dead simple; Point and... nope, just point. +5 for automatic shooting. What makes the combat interesting, is working to stay out of the crossfire, making sure to grab HP packs when nearby and positioning the other players so they can't get them, strategic detonation of barrels, use of obstacles for cover and means of escape, etc. All this keeps the oldest players on their toes, while drastically lowering the barrier of entry with its basic simplicity.
    • Map variety: I've only played mean streets so far, but I love the variety in buildings, obstacles, barrel placements, etc. I've played the same map for hours, and it feels like a different playing experience every round. The map is just big enough that you might spend most of your time in one quadrant, but small enough that you can traverse the entire thing in time for a escape landing.

What I dislike:
    • Revive fee: Instead of having to leave the game on death, add a re-spawn timer, with the option of paying for instant revive (with and without boost).
    • Imbalance from not enough $$ with many high tier players around: Lower tier players can never level up fast enough to pose a threat when there are multiple t16s around killing everything. The only alternative is to carry around barrels hoping to catch these higher tiers off guard. One solution would be to simply scale the $$ spawn rate based on the number of players in the map (or some combination of player quantity and tier levels present). Not dissing the barrel approach though, that can be quite fun, albeit frustrating at times.

What I would like:

1. Guilds & Guild Warfare

I think there's a real opportunity here to branch out, and add a few more game modes. Specifically, I think with the creation of guilds, open guild war maps where guilds battle it out for dominance would be absolutely amazing. Think TF2 map modes (defend the point, capture the flag, etc). These guild maps should be separate from the free for all maps.

2. Additional Weapon Classes & Possible Combat Changes

Multiple gun types would be enjoyable, but balancing these might be difficult. My advice would be to keep the types very distinct, and only offer one weapon choice per type.

For example, the following types could be offered:
    * Rifle = What we have now.
    * Sniper rifle = Good at long range. Terrible at short range. Movement significantly impaired while aiming. Zooms out the longer you aim. Does higher damage at longer ranges.
    * Shot gun = Good at short range. Short range. High damage. High spread.
    * Grenade launcher = Shoots grenades. Slow fire rate.

I also think there's room for additional obstacles, such as timed barrels (explode after x seconds once armed), movable objects that act as cover, etc.

3. Text/voice chat

4. An explanation of how each of the upgrades (blast, homing, etc) work

5. Town
    The town is lovely as a hangout spot, but assuming chat (hopefully voice and text) is added to the game, I'm not sure having the store and other features accessible through the town is a good thing. I think accessing these things through menus is significantly easier and more intuitive. I might recommend removing the town, and adding the ability to add friends, inspect character, etc, in the actual fights themselves.

Additional thoughts likely to follow...

P.S. While I am opposed to player hierarchy in general, since there's already a throne, perhaps I could live with a monarchy...
    Name:  IMG_4839.PNG
Views: 96
Size:  784.6 KB

P.P.S. Sorry Gary, I have trouble splitting my feedback across multiple threads.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DanielRH For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

+1 on every suggestion
    Completely agree with you
    Last edited by Justg; 05-30-2018 at 11:01 AM. Reason: removed long quote
    NICE SIGNATURE BRUHHHH

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts

Really love all of your suggestions and input. Only thing I might contend with is that I think the towne has always been an awesome feature that STS utilizes. It really provides another medium for socializing, and I think if they integrated some fun, engaging features to the town — that would be a good time
    Last edited by XghostzX; 06-01-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,127 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DanielRH View Post
    Hello Everyone,

TLDR; The game is a blast -- I think STS has a real gem here. Keep it simple, keep it fast, don't establish player hierarchy.

What I love:
    Here's my problem with most games: First, as a working 9-5er, I don't have the luxury of building a character up from the beginning, so that some crazy number of hours later, I can start playing a game competitively. And second, my free time is very much fragmented during the day, I may have half an hour here, or five minutes there. It is rare to find a game that satisfies those two requirements, while also providing a balanced, captivating, and entertaining experience that keeps me coming back for more -- and I believe STS has done a fantastic job in doing exactly that. It's highly addictive, and I could easily see this game becoming wildly successful.

Specifically:
    • I love the simplicity: Get in, spend as much time as you dare, get out. Play for 5 minutes or an hour, your adrenaline is pumping the entire time.
    • The balance: No player hierarchy, no imbalance between the five minute quickie player and the 30 hour dedicated player. Even the highest tier player can be toppled by the lowest of tiers if they're really not paying attention. If they are, it might take a firefight, or cooperation between players to take down the top guy. I'm not sure if the game is pure skill, or just pure craziness, but I love it. Stick it to the man! Power to the people!
    • The willingness to try every possible combination and permutation: Since you haven't spend hours working on leveling up, you can try things out without worrying. Worst comes to worse, you spend five minutes leveling back up again.
    • Combat variety: The core principle of combat in the game is dead simple; Point and... nope, just point. +5 for automatic shooting. What makes the combat interesting, is working to stay out of the crossfire, making sure to grab HP packs when nearby and positioning the other players so they can't get them, strategic detonation of barrels, use of obstacles for cover and means of escape, etc. All this keeps the oldest players on their toes, while drastically lowering the barrier of entry with its basic simplicity.
    • Map variety: I've only played mean streets so far, but I love the variety in buildings, obstacles, barrel placements, etc. I've played the same map for hours, and it feels like a different playing experience every round. The map is just big enough that you might spend most of your time in one quadrant, but small enough that you can traverse the entire thing in time for a escape landing.

What I dislike:
    • Revive fee: Instead of having to leave the game on death, add a re-spawn timer, with the option of paying for instant revive (with and without boost).
    • Imbalance from not enough $$ with many high tier players around: Lower tier players can never level up fast enough to pose a threat when there are multiple t16s around killing everything. The only alternative is to carry around barrels hoping to catch these higher tiers off guard. One solution would be to simply scale the $$ spawn rate based on the number of players in the map (or some combination of player quantity and tier levels present). Not dissing the barrel approach though, that can be quite fun, albeit frustrating at times.

What I would like:

1. Guilds & Guild Warfare

I think there's a real opportunity here to branch out, and add a few more game modes. Specifically, I think with the creation of guilds, open guild war maps where guilds battle it out for dominance would be absolutely amazing. Think TF2 map modes (defend the point, capture the flag, etc). These guild maps should be separate from the free for all maps.

2. Additional Weapon Classes & Possible Combat Changes

Multiple gun types would be enjoyable, but balancing these might be difficult. My advice would be to keep the types very distinct, and only offer one weapon choice per type.

For example, the following types could be offered:
    * Rifle = What we have now.
    * Sniper rifle = Good at long range. Terrible at short range. Movement significantly impaired while aiming. Zooms out the longer you aim. Does higher damage at longer ranges.
    * Shot gun = Good at short range. Short range. High damage. High spread.
    * Grenade launcher = Shoots grenades. Slow fire rate.

I also think there's room for additional obstacles, such as timed barrels (explode after x seconds once armed), movable objects that act as cover, etc.

3. Text/voice chat

4. An explanation of how each of the upgrades (blast, homing, etc) work

5. Town
    The town is lovely as a hangout spot, but assuming chat (hopefully voice and text) is added to the game, I'm not sure having the store and other features accessible through the town is a good thing. I think accessing these things through menus is significantly easier and more intuitive. I might recommend removing the town, and adding the ability to add friends, inspect character, etc, in the actual fights themselves.

Additional thoughts likely to follow...

P.S. While I am opposed to player hierarchy in general, since there's already a throne, perhaps I could live with a monarchy...
    Name:  IMG_4839.PNG
Views: 96
Size:  784.6 KB

P.P.S. Sorry Gary, I have trouble splitting my feedback across multiple threads.
    Spot on +11