Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by javier995:481151
    Quote Originally Posted by Weak_Sauce View Post
    Let me preface this by saying I am not an English major and that this is about more than just correcting grammar on the forums.

In the world I see around me today I find that many people (mainly younger generations) have no grasp of the English language. I've seen more and more posts that are written either completely in abbreviations, without the use of periods and/or is some foreign combination of the two with some slang added in for good measure.

What worries me is that it seems we are currently producing generations that do not know how to write or, even worse, this is what our language is turning into.

Now I don't believe I have ever corrected someone within this forum, but I completely understand why some people feel the need to do so. Everyone misspells words, uses the wrong punctuation, etc etc, I just think and hope that some of the people who are pointing out major errors are doing so for the right reasons.

Honestly, I'm not defending nor condemning these people. I guess that I just want my nerdy concerns to be taken into consideration when thinking about this subject.

After all, the pen is mightier than the sword.

Ps. Feel free to point out any errors in my grammar.

Younger generations you say? I don't know if everyone knows this, but I'm only 16.
    I use proper language to be, how would I say this, respectful? I guess that's it. If you check my posts, I use proper grammar and rarely use abbreviations. I type this way to show that I'm, how would you say, serious about showing my point?

It seems that the better way you type and format a post, the more it's taken seriously in my opinion.

Don't be so quick to judge us younger generations, some of us will do great things.

- Javier M.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that everyone is this way, nor would I say the majority. I would, however, say that the numbers are growing (I would cite a few studies and reports I've read but I can't be bothered to look for them) and they're growing at unprecedented rates. In the end, it is my opinion and the opinion of some percentage of people whose lives are devoted to this field.

I just wanted to get everyone to think about it. I'm dyslexic myself and I suppose that makes me think about it that much more.

Also,I forgot to say before that at my last job I was in charge of all of our interns. So many of the resumes I received over the 3 years were, well, a mess. No periods at the end of sentences or missing capital letters, abbreviations, shorthand, and slang. If some of them weren't so sad they would have been hilarious.

Uepauke, you hit the nail on the head. I would NEVER make fun of someone for an error of this nature. I've been the person who made an error and if someone points it out to me politely and in a helpful way I am appreciative, if someone makes fun of me for something that I can't help (I often read words and get the first few letters then change it in to another word when I speak) it's humiliating.
    Last edited by Weak_Sauce; 11-14-2011 at 07:20 AM.
    PL Anibird- Level 66 Bird Anicat- Level 65 Mage Anibear- Level 66 Bear
    SL Ani- Level 35 Operative Animeva- Level 30 Commando Anibird- Level 27 Engineer