Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IGN Giveaway: Who is the hero known as "Beard"?

@ the intersection of Tea. Earl Grey. Hot and Damn Fine Cup of Coffee.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts

Default IGN Giveaway: Who is the hero known as "Beard"?

I have another IGN giveaway....The Man(?), the Myth, the Living Legend...Beard.

As a life long comic book fan, I love a good origin story. Write a short origin story of the Arlorian folk hero known as Beard.

Contest begins after 3 entries
    Contest Deadline: June 30, 2018
    Winner announced: July 7, 2018

Good luck to all and remember: With great beard comes great responsibility.
    Last edited by Java; 06-24-2018 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Reduced entry min from 5 to 3!

Join the AL Community Discord!https://discord.gg/VrMWZ8t
    Retired Coffeegirl, Veep Of Arlor, 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Reserved

11 chars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

There once was an intrepid hero named Beard who was incomparable to anyone because no one was at the same caliber as he was, as he excelled at everything he did. Beard was the savior of Arlor after Kraag was attacked by skeletons and after Shuyal became a breeding ground for necromancers and shadow wolfs. All of Arlor envied Beard for he was very famous, courageous, and rich. Although Beard was well known for his valiant endeavors throughout Arlor, Beard was most famous for his thick, luscious beard.

Although many envied Beard and his beard, others had enmity towards him and his prized possession. One of Beard’s biggest haters was a formidable opponent named Mustache. Mustache incessantly tried to grow himself a mustache as luscious as Beard’s beard, but he was simply unable to do so. Mustache was very jealous of Beard’s beard and of all the recognition Beard received, so Mustache devised an assassination attempt on Beard’s beard. Once word went throughout Arlor of Mustache’s malicious plan, riots broke out in Kraag, Windmoore, Kelys, and Tindirin. The mob of Beard supporters inundated Mustache with hate mail and death threats, and because of this Mustache surreptitiously created an elite group called “The Prophecy” to do his dirty work, and their first task was to eliminate Beard’s beard from the picture.

The tragic event occurred at The Chancel of Light during a promotion ceremony held for Beard to become a Luminous Templar. Beard received his halo from the Benediktus, when suddenly “The Prophecy” entered the ceremony without an invite. The presence of “The Prophecy” left many ambivalent as to why they came, but as soon as they realized the reason they had come it was too late. Beard’s beloved beard was incinerated by a magic spell many call fireball. To this day Mustache and “The Prophecy” were never tried for their crimes, and Beard was never seen again without his beard. Many folktales that are spread throughout Arlor say Beard fled to the perilous Caves of Tarewa and was killed by Arachna’s insatiable appetite for Arlorians. Beard’s beard later became the symbol of peace and prosperity for all of the land of Arlor and many waited for Beard’s return to the spotlight, but as years went on Beard’s once existing fame diminished and Arlorians stopped sharing his story. He was seen as a coward and anyone telling his story would be tortured and eventually brutally murdered by “The Prophecy” which became the enforcers of law by the new self-proclaimed ruler of Arlor, Mustache.
    Last edited by Killerjam; 06-08-2018 at 10:19 AM.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Killerjam For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts

The Beard vs. The Mustache! I'm dying

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post
    The Beard vs. The Mustache! I'm dying
    Thanks!
    /11char

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts

B is for Beard(nott bump)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts

Don't forget to enter for a chance to win the name Beard!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post
    Don't forget to enter for a chance to win the name Beard!!
    Cool I will write something. I guess the dead line is too long. thats why not many ppl entered by now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts

That's possibly the case...I was thinking I would make it a little longer in case levelar event and expansion came early.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Oh oh oh nice nice ^_&

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I will personally submit 4 entries just to start this contest.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Teases For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Once upon a time in a kingdom known as Arlor lived a great hero named Beard. He was revered for being the bravest and most honorable fighter there was. What he didn't know was that he was stuck inside a video game!

Beard often relaxed in the guildhall with his guildies and master. The master of the guild recognized that he had a true gem, a fighter, and a courageous man. The master often thanked Beard for being in the guild but Beard was way too humble to accept any sort of praise. He instead offered quotes of wisdom such as: "Seek true peace" "A fighter must do what he can to protect what he cares for" "The true strength of a man is determined upon the ability to humble themselves before others and serve their guild". In the middle of one such session of him giving quotes a sudden blue light appeared upon him. The blue light asked, "You are the best fighter in all of Arlor, yes?" Beard replied, "Oh mystical blue light! I do not think of myself as such, but am only told so by my guild." The blue light fixtures a face out of the shimmering sparkles and replies, "Well, your final challenge awaits you. You will know what to do when the time comes." The blue light gave a devilish smirk and then vanished into thin air. Beard was obviously confused and had no idea what to do, however he kept on with the life without prudence.

Hardly a month had passed and Beard settled down to take care of his newly birthed son. Beard had admired his blue eyed and blond haired son who obviously took on the look of his father. Beard felt proud that he had basically accomplished all of his life's wants and felt extremely content with his current life choices. That would all change on the 5th birthday of his son, Goatee. Goatee was a joyful child that appreciated the little things in life such as the wildlife and the morning dew. However, he seemed to be different on his birthday, as he would not respond to his father [Beard] when talked to. Beard was confused about this, but had an entire itinerary planned with his child to enjoy on his birthday. "Hey Goatee! I'm going to take you to ride the Nekros over in the Traveler's Outpost! Doesn't that sound fun?", Beard said enthusiastically. Beard even did a little dance to show his excitement and hopefully transfer it over to his blank-faced son. Goatee just stared at his father as if he had taken the last Magma cookie from the Magma porcelain jar. Beard didn't understand where he went wrong and as he was going to burst into full anger mode the blue light appeared. "The time has come for you to complete your final challenge", said the blue light. Beard with a confused voice says, "Why today of all days?" The blue light responded, "I'm not sure if you are aware, but you are not a real thing! You are simply pixels that us game designers have coded!" Looking as confused as ever Beard nods his head at the blue light. The blue light says, "Well let me introduce myself! My name is Justg and I am a creator of this game you are currently in along with a few others." Beard responds, "Are you going to punish me or something? I haven't done anything wrong sir creator! Everything that I do is for good." Justg responds with a grin on his face, "No no no! Don't get the wrong idea now! I simply want to test your strengths and weaknesses. I believe that you can lead the ingame community to be very good if you expand your abilities! Will you allow me to explain your final challenge?" "I suppose so", Beard responds. Justg goes on to explain the challenge to Beard, meanwhile Goatee is going off to play with the surrounding fauna. Beard understood that his task was to journey to Glintstone and defeat an unknown enemy. Justg would not let him know what the name of the person was, however he said that he would know who it was when he got there. Justg and Beard parted ways saying their goodbyes.

Beard took only a week on foot to arrive to Glintstone after stopping multiple times to sleep at sleep-stops. Beard had left his son back in Kraag with someone he could trust and then kept on his adventure. Beard arrived at Glintstone and noticed an awful vibe in the air. He sensed wickedness and evil through the thickness of the fog. He had prepared plenty of materials for his journey including his weaponry. As he took out his weaponry, a voice from behind a ghastly tree said, "do you come to defeat Infinity?" Beard replies, "Infinity? I have come to defeat a man whom I do not know the name of." The voice hissed, "You must know infinity! He has been terrorizing Glintstone ever since his birth!" The voice walked out from behind a tree to reveal himself as a repugnant old man who's skin looked to have been scorched by acid. The man proclaimed, "In order to defeat Infinity you have to sacrifice something very dear to you! Otherwise he is too strong and you cannot kill him. His lifespan is exactly representative of his name, Infinity. He cannot die." The old man kept getting closer and as he took each long and heavy step, he seemed to transform. The old man was about 5 feet away from Beard until his shirt somehow went from raggedy and old to a plain white tee with an infinity sign. Beard froze and feared the worst for his life.

Infinity quickly grabbed Beard's neck and began to hold him into the air. Infinity said, "No matter what you do now, you cannot win. Nothing within your grasp is worth sacrificing which means you cannot defeat me." At that moment a red light begins to crack down from the sky about 20 feet from them. Down came a red bodied light sort of like the blue one. The red light said, "Beard! My name is Cinco and I have come to give you advice since I see you are in a pickle. You do have something dear with you at the moment. It lies on your face, Beard." Beard responds, "Do I need to take all of my beard off? It's what gives me my strength and power. Without it, I am nothing!" Cinco replies yelling, "50% off? NO! 75% off? NO! EVERYTHING MUST GO!" With that in mind, Beard takes his dagger from his shoe and with one swipe takes off all of his beard. Beard feels a sudden surge of energy and prys Infinity's hands from his neck. Beard swiftly takes his cut beard off the floor and magically forms a spear in his hands with the hair. He takes a couple quick jabs at Infinity and sees blue liquid spewing out of the wounds. Infinity counterattacks, but Beard is too quick and dodges everything. Beard decides to end it all in one final blow, so he full out sprints with the spear at Infinity and pierces his chest. Beard decides to take it all the way and pushes Infinity with the spear through his chest to the mountain wall. The beard spear then melts back to hair and then flies at Beard's face reattaching itself. Both Justg and Cinco appear in front of Beard and congratulate him on his victory and his sacrifice. Then Cinco jokingly asks, "I wonder if I could do that too if I were to grow my beard out?" Beard and Justg burst out laughing. Just then says, "You, Beard, are a legend. I think that you can absolutely lead the community in a positive direction. Thank you." Beard nods and kneels down to say, "I'll take care of this land til death does us part!"

Beard successfully leads the community into a positive direction and every time he defeats an enemy his beard gathers blood. He is now known as Beard, the bloodstained hero.

THE END

Side note: Sorry I couldn't add more background to who infinity was or anything. I am not very good at writing stories and honestly this was my best attempt. I could probably expand the story if requested, but honestly I'm content. Incase you didn't get it, the reason why cinco says "50% off? NO! 75% off? NO! EVERYTHING MUST GO!" was because of this. I found it funny and thought to add it in, idk...

Good luck to everyone else and I hope you enjoyed my attempt!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragonsalt For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts

Brilliant story...I yelled "NOooooOoo!!" out loud when he cut his beard off. Hahaha..and that Cinco video is a classic!
    Last edited by Java; 06-24-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts

This contest still has a few days left to enter. If I get one more entry (instead of min 5) I will make this active!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Man, I really want this contest to go active so I can have a chance at winning the beard name. I really like it

Post more stories people!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragonsalt For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Unknown Legend

It was a long day. The battle was going to be great. Rumors were saying something big gonna change after that . Every arlorian from every tribe was there , well almost.
    Except "Archid",the rogue in stronghold that was still hatching an unknown egg for years , everyone else was in the arena.
    The huge fight of Seer Hox and Krobox was going to happen. Seeking power of those two heroes might result in death of one of them , but they had made their decisions. The Arena was full of arlorian people sitting all around the battle circle. And in the middle , Seer Hox and Krobox was standing , facing each other and they were waiting for the battle to be started.
    The crowd became quite. looked like it was the time to begin the fight. The countdown began:
    Four!
    Three!
    Two!
    Someone died. Well seemed like the cannon that they were using for countdown backfired. Using another cannon the countdown started again:
    Four!
    Three!
    Two!
    "Stop it!"
    The crowd looked back to see who said that.
    It was Beard, A middle aged man that was known just for his long thick beard. VERY long and thick beard. His only achievement in life was his name in Arlorian Guinness records book for being a man whose beard is taller than himself.
    Everyone in that moment was looking at his face and his beard. Well mostly at his beard. He couldn't say anything so no one paid attention to him and they started the countdown again.
    "If you don’t respect Beard , at least respect his beard! " said a random rogue in the corner. But since she was lvl10 no one paid attention to her either.

The battle started. Seer Hox casted fireball which was blocked by Krobox’s arcane shield. The shield was fading away, putting Krobox in risky situation…

Meanwhile Beard was thinking with himself about what just happened to him. "Who am I? A normal man with no power that everyone can just ignore me? Or I'm more than this? What did I do in these years of my life?"
    He wasn't paying attention to the battle or the crowd. Everything around him was blurred and the only thing that he could hear was an unknown voice from his inside: "Whats wrong Beard?"
    Beard: " I just don’t know my identity, I don't want to be an average arlorian who gets ignored by others"
    "Who do you think you are?"
    said the unknown voice from inside
    Beard: "I said I don't know. Are you stupid?"
    The Voice: "Oh ok. Lets just say what are your goals in life?"
    Beard: " I guess I don't have any goal "
    " Really? Lol goodbye"
    His unknown inside voice ignored him too
    But he couldn't stay there and watch the battle so he made the biggest decision of his apparently worthless life.
    He started walking toward the battle! He was unsure what is going to happen but it took a short time that he noticed he was inside the battle circle.
    Everything stopped. no sound no action. All the eyes were on Beard.
    "Get out of the arena you foolish man!!" said Seer Hox with anger.
    Beard was melting down because of the pressure but he said what he came for: "Hello. I'm here to say something"
    Seer Hox shouted " GET OUT OF THE ARENA, NOW!!!"
    Beard: "I just want to ask Why are we fighting each other when devil Bosses are killing Arlorians?"
    A deep silence fell upon the crowd…
    "Like!" Said that random rogue in the corner
    Beard: "We are losing our citizens everyday and our heroes that are supposed to help them are fighting each other in arena? We must be together!"
    The crowd shouted: "yeah!!"
    Beard: "more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis, the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers..." Someone shouted that this dialog is copy pasted from somewhere else.
    Beard: " Oh ok. Let’s just fight bosses instead of ourselves. Right?"
    "He's right!" Said the crowd together
    Seer Hox was thinking about this and suddenly he said "ok" ..."But under one condition!"
    Beard: " Thanks! , any condition is accepted "
    Seer Hox: " YOU will be the first one to fight the boss"
    Crowd: O.o
    Beard: :-|
    Seer hox: :-)
    The rogue hatching egg in stronghold: Zzz

Beard:"me?! I'm not a hero , I can't even hold a sword"
    Seer Hox: "this is your idea and you will be the one to start it"
    It was at this moment that he knew he :/ well , is in a bad situation.

Beard thought with himself: "I guess Hox is psychopath. But maybe it’s a chance for me to prove myself. Maybe I can be a hero"
    "OK! I will fight the boss !!"
    Beard shouted.
    The crowd stood up and clapped for him
    "Stupid -_-" said that unknown voice inside

Hox invited the Boss "Glob" to come to the arena but he refused. So Hox paid him some gold and he finally came.

Glob: "Who wanted to fight me?"
    Beard: "Me!"
    Glob was staring at Beard and his beard. Mostly at his beard.
    Beard:"what?"
    Glob:"Yo Hox I didn't get gold to fight with a stupid unhero dying arlorian"
    Hox said slowly "Shut up!"
    "What are you saying??" Beard said with anger
    Hox:"Calm down guys. He was just kidding about the gold section. Ok let’s go to fight. Start the countdown!"
    Four!
    Three!
    During the countdown Beard was filled with anger. He knew that no one would believe that he can be a hero but he wanted to prove that he can.
    Two!
    And One!
    Beard started running toward Glob , focusing all his energy in his sword. The crowd was shouting "Beard! Beard!"
    Beard reached Glob and
    Died.
    Glob: “0.97 Second! OMG That’s a new world record”
    Everyone entered arena. Beard's body was not moving and Glob's claws had entered his chest.

"What did you do Beard?"

Said by an Angel with white wings , the only one that Beard could see in that moment.
    "Ah, I just don't know. I wanted to do something. I thought I could be a hero for these people. Am I going to die for that?!"
    Angel: "Do you think your destiny ends here?"
    Beard:"Damn I just asked the same question. Do you have a relation with that inside voice??"
    Angel:"yea kinda. Ok just open your eyes. You got another chance. Seems like you have more things to do"
    Thanks to his beard the claws didn't reach his heart. The angel healed him and Beard could see the world again. Btw he could just press the respawn button. It was faster
    He woke up and started laughing.
    Seer Hox:"What the heck are you laughing at?"
    "I did it!" Said Beard with excitement " You said the condition is to fight the boss and I did it.”
    Hox:" by fighting boss I mean to defeat him not dying in 1 second , you stupid"
    Beard:"What??"
    It was at this second monent that he knew he… "No Hox" said Krobox. " You said to fight the boss not defeating him and everyone here heard that"
    Hox: "Fine -_- , you won. From now this arena will be used to fight bosses"
    The crowd stood up, clapping and shouting " Beard! Beard!...." "You are our hero!"
    It was the first time that a real smile was seen on his face , Knowing that he did what he supposed to do.
    Thanks to Beard's sacrifice the arena was named "Planar Arena" which has no relation with his name but it’s still a good name!
    ‎He opened a path that changed lives of thousands arlorians. He brought Nekro to life. He made a better future for pet industry, pendent users , rogues , vial hoarders or probable fossil hoarders
    ‎You see how can everything change for someone? He was completely normal arlorian named Beard but now what? Well still Beard.
    Hmmm Nothing particular changed about him but he got some fans. Having fans is so good!
    They even made a statue for him:

Name:  2018-06-11 23_13_17-.png
Views: 374
Size:  209.4 KB
    Which got destroyed the week after because it was blocking the way.
    ‎Yes. He may not be a strong mighty hero or someone with unique powers or someone hatching egg in stronghold but he was a hero for his people because he helped them. That’s how heroes are defined.

So yea. This was his story. Did you like it you little dragon?
    --WOW! That was so cool mom! Did all that really happen?
    Yea I guess. In fact ,I wasn't there. I'm the one who was hatching you all the time -_-

-------------------
    Is it too long? idk xd. Hope u like it
    Last edited by slr; 06-27-2018 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Fixed some mistakes, Sry my english xd

21. The Following User Says Thank You to slr For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts

Well done, Slr. Great story, love the breaking down the 4th wall bits and the use of emoticons made me laugh. "Crowd: o.O"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Java For This Useful Post:

slr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Very nice read
    Next contest Java gna giveaway ign:Archid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Trahern For This Useful Post:

slr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

still gonna submit, gonna work on it today after i finish cleaning!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Come closer, and hear my whispers… though today not often remembered, many harvests ago, our lands were ruled by a band of seven Grim Lords who served as hands to a monstrous and ghastly king. The wickedness that transpired on the ground you walk on… but, our story starts even before then, to the birth of Salma.

Born sickly and near death, her parents pled to the Gods, calling each by name but to deaf ears. It was only when Salma neared her final hours did a deity appear, calling himself Bashir. He promised them that Salma would indeed live a long life “but nothing gets you nothing” he sneered, “Salma will indeed live a long life, and it will be wonderful, and she will want for naught, but at the cost of her final years, which will be plagued with misfortune, deriving no happiness.”

They sat in quiet contemplation as the divine lingered, a voyeur to their tragedy. “She will know happiness, Miriam, and we will tell her of her woes to come, and she will be ready.” They held each other as they struck the deal.

“I am not an unkind God, I will bestow upon her a gift: the gift of beauty. She will grow gracefully, beautiful both of face and heart.” and as it was foretold, Salma did indeed age into beauty beyond compare, and wanted for naught. She was charitable, and kind, wanting only happiness and the betterment of other people. Her heart and soul became so pure, her skin radiated sunlight and offset moonbeams.

It was this very beauty that attracted the Terrible King. Believing himself the better of every man in Arlor, he saw only fit his bride be the best of every woman. But again as it was foretold, Salma was prepared, knowing only hardship would follow. Unable to deny him, Salma would give birth to a son… Beard.

Named for his bloodline, the King wanted nothing more than for his son to grow up, masculine and just as every bit as terrible as he. The Fates, however, had a different plan. Beard, unlike his name, would grow up to be lanky and having scarce facial hair… the bane of his father.

As he neared the age of puberty, the King became more and more cruel at the disappointment he came to make. It was after his nightly beating that Salma would come into Beard’s bedroom and tell him stories. “Do you know the story of your father, Beard?”

“Of course, mama.”
    “Tell it to me tonight my beloved.”
    “Long ago, the fates foresaw a terrible darkness, one that would cover Arlor for hundreds of years, and would consume the world in blood and fire.”

Salma would always chuckle at his dramatic readings.

“Yes, habibi, but do you know the story of your mother?”
    “Nooo” he replied innocently.
    “You see, I was born very ill, and my mother and father traded my future happiness for the life I live. It was said that my future would fruit no happiness, and my days plagued by misfortunes.”
    Beard gasped in surprise, “Is that true, mama?”
    “Well what do I have here on my face?”
    “A smile?”
    “A smile.” she said, “Now, if I’m smiling, do you think my life has bore no happiness? For despite all the darkness that surrounds us, my habibi, this life has given me you. The Fates can tell of prophecy, Beard, but we choose our own destiny.”

With his mother’s words ringing in his ears, when Beard came of age, he stabbed his father as he slept, and looked into his black, black eyes. “How can a man as evil as you be king with this bastard heart?”

It is said that free of his reign, the people overthrew the Grim Lords, and buried them so far into the ground that even the annals of time would forget them and their immortal dread, and with them, Beard… but, if you listen closely, to the whispers in the wind, you may hear their tale again.
    Last edited by Teases; 06-29-2018 at 10:03 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Teases For This Useful Post: