Thread: [Guide] Budgeting your gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    385 Posts

Default [Guide] Budgeting your gold

Howdy there Arlor! I thought I'd quickly provide y'all with some quick tactics that have helped me to accumulate gold and that have helped me to avoid hitting a wall and just ending up gearless in the swamps, praying that I get a party strong enough to carry me through the simplest of pulls. Now by no means am I a very rich player. Only recently have I really begun to apply these principles to my gameplay, but the results have been more than a little promising. Keep in mind that accumulating wealth in a game such as Arcane Legends is a slow process and unless you are able to spend real life money on platinum, there is no effective shortcut. This guide is mostly for people, like myself, who have struggled to maintain their wealth, but also for anyone that wishes to accumulate gold in the game.

Section one: Accumulating gold

1.1 - Accumulating gold through farming
    1.2 - Accumulating gold through merching

Section two: Maintaining wealth

2.1 - Intelligent spending habits (the big things)
    2.2 - Intelligent spending habits (the small things)
    2.3 - Using the stash to your advantage

Accumulating Gold

Farming is the primary method by which players accumulate wealth and gear in an MMO. It is the way by which I've decided to attempt to become rich in this game. It's a very straightforward process. Repeatedly completing maps in the hope of acquiring valuable items. There are tons of guides on how to farm. As of the time that I am writing this guide (7/6/18), the most effective method for a free to play player such as myself is running the new maps to loot murkstone tokens, or farming raw gold drops in m6 / elite southern gates. Generally it's wise to invest in gear that benefits your luck such as a leprechaun pendent, eggshell ring, or awakened gear that has a luck bonus if you intend on farming.

The next method of accumulating wealth is acting a merchant, or "merching". I'll admit that I haven't spent very much time in this game merching, and am not very good at it. However, the idea of it is to buy items at a discounted price and then sell them for more than you bought them for, thus making profit. For more of a detailed description of merching tactics, I'll link to this brief guide - https://www.spacetimestudios.com/sho...light=merching.

Maintaining Wealth

This section is devoted to making sure that you do not blow all of your money. A lot of these tips are relatively straightforward and may seem obvious to a majority of the readers but for myself, as someone who has fallen victim to one or more of these in game systems, I wish I'd been wise enough to avoid them.

The first of these systems is the slot machines of Arlor, chests. If you have any interest in accumulating wealth, DO NOT go anywhere near locked chests, Sir Spendsalot's Weapon Cache, or really any chest that you have to spend a significant amount on, or didn't farm yourself. Trust me, expecting to hit it rich from chests is a doomed tactic. I've been at my richest points in the game due to chests, and miracle days where I loot three arcane items in 20 or so chests. But inevitably your luck with run out, and with it whatever supply of gold you've earned. Gambling addiction is alive and well in Arlor, best to steer clear.

The next system to avoid as if it were the plague is any form of gold sink, with the most obvious example being Sir Spendaslot. Unless you are absurdly rich already, in which case you do not need this guide, there is no reason you should be spending your gold on anything that will give you zero return.

Finally, this is something that will really be pretty obvious to a majority of players, but is a sneaky way that a few players literally lose EVERYTHING. Never ever ever should you give out your account info. Even if you trust somebody like they were family, there is no reason that they should have access to your account. This also goes for any website or 3rd party system which promises a shortcut to riches. There is no shortcut except for luck and real life money.

This section is devoted to things that aren't as devastating as what was mentioned in the previous section, but will certainly stunt your in-game development. The first of these smaller spending errors is a lack of patience. It's understandable that we as people want new vanities and gear, however don't rush into spending hundreds of thousands extra gold on items that could be acquired for far less in the near future. I personally avoid making large purchases unless I think that the item will either gain value, or that the item will provide a specific purpose that makes whatever gold I'm spending worth it.

The next thing that will slow your development is buying elixirs. While there are times where they are helpful (luck lix when farming kraken mines was an awesome profit), for the most part they are completely unnecessary. For example, there is no reason to be dropping 20k for 30 mins of damage elixir when you're just running random parties in a map that hardly provides profit. You may feel selfish making your party suffer through 30% less damage output from you, however the long term gold that you will gain will go to gear, and soon enough you'll be stronger than your old character without the elixir.

Finally, it's just best to avoid buying items from auction that you don't know the general price range of, or that you can farm yourself. The easy path is almost never the most beneficial for your development.

This section is devoted to a specific tactic which has allowed me to budget my gold better than ever before, and since utilizing it, I've seen the amount of gold that I accumulate skyrocket. It goes like this. Based on how much gold you currently have, you will select a relatively small amount of "spending gold", which is, for the most part used for potions and other amenities. The number I selected is 50k. This is enough to get me through whatever necessary purchases I have to make, without allowing enough for me to waste my gold, and completely derail my development. All of the other gold that I have besides this 50k goes into my stash. Meanwhile, I have specific goals that I wish to achieve. Whether it be acquiring a rare item, a new set, or a new vanity, the gold held in my stash will only be put towards long term goals, which must meet the principles previously outlined in this guide. This tactic may seem silly, but it's what works for me, and I suggest that everyone out there who wishes to become the next rich player find something which works for them. There are numerous formulas that one can use to get rich in Arlor, and this is just the one that I've decided to follow.

Thank you to everyone that took the time to read this guide. If anyone has a suggestion feel free to leave a comment. I'm open to any criticism that you may have. Oh and if you have your own "get rich quick" method, please do share! Have a nice day y'all.

Helpful info shared later in the thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrce View Post
    For accumulating gold, farm any new items (currently anything desirable you can sell from Festerfang) and farm any desirable sellable items from Events. There are actually items from various zones throughout the game that still have good value, so if you have time, it might be worth farming these or at least keeping an eye on their prices/availability.

For keeping your gold, definitely have a normal spending budget and keep the rest of your gold out of any toons you regularly play. All my toons have a set range of "everyday" gold. In addition, I have a absolute rule of never spending over 10% of total gold (30% if it is a new equipping season, though I have not had to spend these amounts for a long time).

If you like to gamble or play the market (auction/trades), then do the same thing: Have a set amount of gold just for doing this. Again I recommend no more than 10% of your total gold. I also recommend sequestering this gold bundle in specific market/gamble toons, so you do not get confused or use up more gold than you want to. And yes, if your gambling bundle is too small, that means you should not be gambling.
    Last edited by Befs; 07-07-2018 at 10:03 PM.
    Ign - Coolguymage

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Befs For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

good guide

looking forward to some more but this is not the right section. post in new player section next

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Farm more spend less.

OK. Think I got it.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    385 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by macgreaze View Post
    Farm more spend less.

OK. Think I got it.

I'm glad! Pretty straightforward but hopefully it'll be of some hep.
    Ign - Coolguymage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

For accumulating gold, farm any new items (currently anything desirable you can sell from Festerfang) and farm any desirable sellable items from Events. There are actually items from various zones throughout the game that still have good value, so if you have time, it might be worth farming these or at least keeping an eye on their prices/availability.

For keeping your gold, definitely have a normal spending budget and keep the rest of your gold out of any toons you regularly play. All my toons have a set range of "everyday" gold. In addition, I have a absolute rule of never spending over 10% of total gold (30% if it is a new equipping season, though I have not had to spend these amounts for a long time).

If you like to gamble or play the market (auction/trades), then do the same thing: Have a set amount of gold just for doing this. Again I recommend no more than 10% of your total gold. I also recommend sequestering this gold bundle in specific market/gamble toons, so you do not get confused or use up more gold than you want to. And yes, if your gambling bundle is too small, that means you should not be gambling.

Star light, star bright...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fyrce For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Thanks for the guide! I'm stupid with my gold and needed to be reminded to focus on my long-term goals.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

I'd say stay away from merching completely unless you've been playing a while and know the prices.

There are far too many fraudsters artificially increasing the price of goods in auction. Today it was fighting spice (worth 6k but in auction at 800k). It's a legal scam.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    385 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrce View Post

I hope you don't mind that I added this to the guide. Was just too helpful not to! Tysm!

Quote Originally Posted by macgreaze View Post
    I'd say stay away from merching completely unless you've been playing a while and know the prices.

There are far too many fraudsters artificially increasing the price of goods in auction. Today it was fighting spice (worth 6k but in auction at 800k). It's a legal scam.

The auction can definitely be a dangerous place for newer players especially.
    Ign - Coolguymage