Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the end of scaled farming?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Unhappy Is this the end of scaled farming?

Hello community and STS,

i dont know wich motivation was behind to make this change that the drop no longer adapts to the highest party member, but just adapts to everyones own level.

This is a very big change wich will make every scaled item kinda worthless. Why?
    Well for example u want to get lvl 21 items, now u no longer need a full group of max 21, but u can have 1x65 (doing all work) and 4x21 (drop leecher) to get the drop. Same is in Swamps (30) or Sewers (51). With my 51 i can join every Sewer group of any levels, i will get my 51 drop. Theres no more needed to have organized groups of twinks.
    What will happen now? I predict that CS will further be flowded of scaled items wich casually drops to new players wich just wanted to level up.
    Those ppl which collected, farmed, bought at high prices those rare items will loose a lot worth bcz we will see a lot more around from now.
    Even 51 farm gonna be worthless, every new player is be able to farm his equip hisself while leveling from 48-52.

I liked to make organzied partys to get scaled items, it was hard, it was a challenge, it was fun.
    Sad that probably that is gone now.

Ur free to discuss here, plz dont flame etc..
    - PL - Founder and proud C.O.T. officer
    RicciTS > DEX Bird L77 | Ricci > INT Mage L76 | XCarver> STR/DEX Bear L71
    and many more....

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Riccits For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Agreed, I hate the new system. Not only does it drop the value of scaled items, and draws in leechers, it may also force you to receive a specific level of loot that you don't want. Poor choice of words, so I'll give an example. I'm level 63, leveling to 65/66. I have a character there already, and 65 items are worth more. So I'm farming, and I drop a staff. The staff turns out to be Lv 63 even though everyone else is 65/66. The 63 staff is almost useless compared to the 65 since the 65 is worth more and would be of more use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Just pointing out this is the SL section, PM Sam to move

This update has not affected PL yet as far as im aware. Only SL atm.

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts

Pl is effected....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TANKKAAR View Post
    Pl is effected....
    Argghhh since when?? Didnt see it in the patch notes..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster View Post
    Just pointing out this is the SL section, PM Sam to move

This update has not affected PL yet as far as im aware. Only SL atm.
    darn sorry! happens to me all the time...

Any mod plz move to PL, thx!
    and many more....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster View Post
    Argghhh since when?? Didnt see it in the patch notes..
    since update of mount fang. u dont want to know how many things they change without any notes
    and many more....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I'm not quite sure on the reasoning behind this either. The people I see benefiting from this are very casual players that are very left behind versus the majority of the players.

By that, I mean a player that is still catching up to the end-game content. A level 51 player in a group full of 55/56. The past system would reward the 51 with a 55 piece, but would now give him a 51 piece - short term benefit, I guess. However, the way I see it, it also hurts the same players. Instead of getting a 55 drop which they can use at 55, they are stuck with a 51 piece that they will outgrow in a few levels.

I guess they removed the need to do organized scaled farming to cater more to the casual groups. Remember the threads complaining about being booted from a 51 game while being 52+?

PL/SL is running out of niches until someone finds a new thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Default well

Honestly I'm fairly happy with the update itself. But not with the principle of the matter. It looks to me like recently sts has been trying to drop prices overall in the market as well as get rid of twinks. This update is 2 in one. Scaled items are now just as valuable as normal items. Twinks are now discouraged of twinking and will probably level...they attacked twinks in the past with gettin rid of xp lock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Riccits View Post
    since update of mount fang. u dont want to know how many things they change without any notes
    Lol yeah I have noticed a few, that may cause a storm.. or two

Here's the patch notes for SL,

Item loot is now rewarded based on the receiver's level, rather than the AI level, so that content which scales based on level (such as holiday content) does not prevent players from getting their level-appropriate loot when higher level players are also present.
    When I had seen this was a little shocked, but I believed this would affect PL far more than SL and was hoping that it didnt move across. (How long have some of these PL twinks been going?!)

Used to farm 51 drops in sewers, but we made sure that we were all 51. Some even xp, locked their mains to get this. (When it was released) For them to be close to worthless and all that hard work put in for nothing (well not now anyway) is pretty bad move.

But as previously said and as Elly has pointed out this is more for the casual player, so they can pick up play get the gear they need from a few runs with high players and log off.
    Last edited by BodMaster; 11-16-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

don like any change in the way things drop yeah

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Default AMEN Ricci

I was absolutely devastated by this change. I loved leveling while still having the opportunity to loot my drops vs. buying them once I reached level cap. It gave me something to look forward to while grinding away.

I like many others froze alt toons to scale farm while with set groups. It was fun and provided us with a break if a certain map got too monotonous. And I know Fang will get monotonous on my grind to 66. Aside from that enjoyment it also served as a means to earn extra income.

I don't know why devs changed it, as I only recently came back from a very long hiatus, I doubt they will change it back but can only hope they at least consider it because everyone has made some very valid points.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

As someone who has recently gotten into twinking, I am displeased with this as well. I have spent plat on extra character slots and twinking gives me a break from the normal "grind" of end game. Too many aspects of SL are being adapted into PL when nothing was wrong in the first place. Why change aspects of a game which have worked for a year and a half now?

And I should point out that it's the twink farmers whom have stuck with this game and gotten it to the level of popularity it is today.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonTider For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

I have never really been into twinking or scaled farming, but all of you guys bring up some really good points....maybe they can re-visit this decision.

Unfortunately, I think some of this came from the drama from the Halloween event and the raging that went on about the twinks having problems with higher levels joining an unhostable game/event.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Moogerfooger For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    I have never really been into twinking or scaled farming, but all of you guys bring up some really good points....maybe they can re-visit this decision.

Unfortunately, I think some of this came from the drama from the Halloween event and the raging that went on about the twinks having problems with higher levels joining an unhostable game/event.
    LOL I had so much fun ruining the twinks/scaled farmer Halloween events.
    "Leave lvl 20s only."
    "NO LOL"
    "**********************************"
    If they weren't so rude, I would have just left.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=62120&dateline=131973  8744
    Kahlua/Knowledgebase - Star Legends Help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Sad sad sad

I loved having twinks for scaled farming - this should be over now. An organized L51 farming group now would be 4 L49s with AO2 gear running behind a L65 soloing maps - no need for fancy gear or smart builds anymore

But so true:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    PL/SL is running out of niches until someone finds a new thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    Too many aspects of SL are being adapted into PL when nothing was wrong in the first place. Why change aspects of a game which have worked for a year and a half now?
    This was only put into place on 10th for SL too. Though im not in agreement with the whole aspect of this being introduced at all.

Not once have I seen a post in SL section, complaining that the items in SL should be changed to this. Also in SL you do not get different level Purple/Pink its all levelled on the main gear at that time, 1 level below Cap. Not say 27/29/30 in Slouch-O or 32/34/35 in SY. Its all been scaled to one level for all items.

Slouch-O - Purple Lvl 30, Pink Lvl 30

Shipyards - Purple Lvl 35, Pink Lvl 35

(Excluding rare (Green) drops)

So in all honesty there was no real reason for this to be added in SL, nevermind PL (Which it affects tremendously)
    Last edited by BodMaster; 11-16-2011 at 07:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

All I can do is cry

Tapatalk'd from my PowerWashed Fascinate
    PL ign: Yvonnel - 66 Enchantress / Yvonnela - 65 Archer / Yvonnelw - 55 Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

I agree this sucks. I made an "open letter to the devs" thread last week asking them not to adapt this new system to PL. Drew, Gluttony, and myself were practically the only ones speaking out against it. If all you guys feel this way I wish you would have voiced your opinions then instead of waiting until it was implemented and too late.

Sam commented on it saying "thanks for the good input on both sides" which I translate into "we're going to do what we want anyway." I would have felt differently about the comment had he offered some type of rationale as to why this was going to be adopted besides destroying scale farming and pushing everyone towards the end game to buy elixirs.

This game is becoming more headaches than its worth to me. It's hard watching something you liked so much making so many changes for the worse. For me this is just the latest in a process that started when 4x combo elixirs were introduced. I feel like this marks the moment when STS's focus went from making a well balanced game that requires thought and skill to focusing on selling elixirs.

Like Crimson, I've recently created 4 twinks. I bought the character upgrade for 3 of these, extra inventory slots, and plat packs for 2. I'd like a plat refund for these now useless characters. Please credit it to my account. Although at this point I really don't care if I have any plat or not. Honestly, if it wasn't for the friends I made here in forums I would've quit this game when nuri's came out and mindless button mashing while on elixirs came into vogue.

Also, just for the record. I think not including something like this in the patch notes (something you know is going to create a stir) is cowardly.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wvhills For This Useful Post:

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robert7204 View Post
    Like Crimson, I've recently created 4 twinks.
    I have 10 new twinks. hehe

It kinda irked me when I saw the change was made to PL and it wasn't in the patch notes. Not as big a deal as it could've been though. If PL got the change before SL, all h-e-double-hockey-sticks probably would've ensued. But I think I got most of it out of my system in rob's thread.

Right now, the change doesn't affect SL much. With all SL vanities and legendaries as secondary drops, it's all plain luck anyways. Where it'll affect player happiness most in SL is if/when they start having legendaries which can scale to lower levels.

This isn't the end of scaled farming in PL. In fact, it's probably the opposite. Scaled farming is now easier to do. Of course, that also means pricing for such items will adjust as well, but still based on supply/demand. For example, even though this makes L10 Pink Armors easier to farm, I don't think you're going to see a bunch of them in CS in the next few days (unless Hunzzz decides to put all of his up for sale. hehe).

At this point, we probably shouldn't even call it scaled farming anymore. It's basically just regular farming now. Since you don't need to have a full group of the right level anymore, you can just solo farm the join screen for instances where you can reach the boss for the kill. Yep, you'll see a lot of this happen in Winter Fest pugs, I bet. And you'll probably see it a lot for DF1, SSC, and Swamps.

Essentially, the supposed main reason for the fix ("Halloween/holiday" drops) will also be what shows the most abuse of the new system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.