Thread: End Game Mage Pvp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Post End Game Mage Pvp

Hello everyone,

I’ve been playing PL for 6 years and absolutely thought pvp was the biggest joke. I have recently loved pvp from the guild events as early on during the event I hated pvp, but figured out the pvp play style and skill combos that helped me succeed. With this event over I want to look toward end game pvp.

I have a few Questions I would love someone to answer for me:

1. As a pure int mage what enchant types do I need for each piece of enchantable armor (weapon, armor, shield, amulet)

2. I see a lot of people say to mage nuke, but when do you use this vs ice fire combo

3. How do you kite it seems like it doesn’t ever really work and mage attack’s hit farther than their ranges delegated

4. As a mage how does one play the area to be successful and win fight of multiple people attack’s at one time.

5. What kind of rotation is most beneficial (Opener/Then what are the priorities)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Also how does one figure the ranges it seems I can never really tell and stuff just may or may not hit and I wouldn’t know.

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Heya,

I'm really glad you're enjoying PvP! It's a blast once you learn the ropes a bit. Endgame PvP feels a lot different compared to the PvP Event Honor Map, but it's nothing you can't figure out

1. You should aim for the following:

-Damage for your weapon

-Armor for your armor, shield, and amulet (damage on amulet usually suffices as well).

2. You really want to use that ice+fire combo anytime you have both skills ready to go. Nuking is definitely a skill that takes practice. The more experience you have, the better you'll be at judging and anticipating when your opponent is about to run out of health (that's when you want to nuke).

3. Kiting, again, is an art that takes practice – and even the players who appear to be 'the most skilled' won't succeed in kiting every time. The best advice I have for kiting:

-Practice your ranges with Drain, Fire, and Frostbite. To master kiting, you have to have that perfect feel for when you enter the 12m skill-zone – to the point where it becomes instinct to press those skills when you have finally stepped in range.

-Kiting often relies on unpredictable, spontaneous movements. You have to be cunning, and strike at a time when your opponent least expects it. Hence, your movement needs to be random and unpredictable. Wait until your opponent has wasted 1-2 skills, then attack. The moment they step into your 12m range, it should be like pulling the trigger on a gun (which I have never done, but you get the point).

4. In situations where you are up against multiple people at the same time, it's kind of useless to fight back by yourself. You should definitely make sure you have a team on your side. The best piece of advice I have, in short, is to stick by your teammates. You should focus on healing them from being frozen/stunned/rooted. You should attack when you feel your teammates are about to attack (if you successfully attack at the same time, your opponents will have no chance to heal). You have to learn to read your teammates movements, and anticipate when they are going to activate their skills. You will utterly fail if you try to do everything by yourself – you will experience a great degree of success if you learn to cooperate with your teammates, especially as a mage.

In terms of 'playing the area', just make sure utilize all of the space and obstacles. They can really be used to your favor if you know how to use the dimensions of a map correctly.

5. If by 'rotation' you mean a go-to nuking combo, a simple one is: frostbite, drain, lightning, fire. Make sure you hit that ice+fire combo. Sometimes, it's more beneficial to do frostbite + lightning + fire, as that can pack a punch in a quicker amount of time. Again, it's something you just get a feel for. Debuffs are useless at endgame PvP (they are really useful for the PvP events).

Feel free to add me in-game. My ign: Ghost

I'm happy to help anytime Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts

I am in no way a great mage, but what helped me when I was learning it was to make sure you know the 8 meter range for "Lightning". I found myself oftentimes using it like a noob (missing it), and once I resorted to using it when people were on top of me, I found that I did much better!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts

Enchantments will be the most important part, and can take a while.

1h weapons +100 damage
    2hweapons +150 damage
    Armor +200 armor
    Off hand +100 armor
    Amulet +60 damage or armor
    Armor on the amulet will help you with 2v2 and 3v3, but in 1v1s a damage amulet wins due to crit factor.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

In regards to knowing your ranges and why they never seem to work out...

You'll have to accept the reality that timing and range are in a metaphorical sense, symbiotic. You really need the best out of both in order for your overall range to succeed. Keep a close eye on player/opposing team movements and cast your skills wisely because one wrong move at the wrong time may just be the difference between living and dying.

Now.. with this said.. no matter how many years you put into this, or how long you feel you've worked on mastery. There will still be moments where things just don't go accordingly lol. Something was mis-timed, or take dodges into account, you were just out of range by a tiny bit etc.

Best of luck though. Practice, patience and perseverance are a must.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Holyfuryzz For This Useful Post: