Thread: Experience-needed calculation change

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Default Experience-needed calculation change

maybe... instead of increasing the amount of xp needed to level every cap-raise, you re-set the experience gaining proportions.
    I am not too great at explaining this, I'll try again.
    Instead of increasing the total xp needed per level cap, assign a maximum xp needed for the last level (eg 10k) and scale down the experience needed per level from there.
    One side effect is that the more you expand the game henceforward, the difference of xp needed per level will smooth out as well, instead of there being radical jumps from 45+

the whole point of it is that while players get better gear and stats as they level, the difficulty also rises, and so the xp they gain per hour is technically the same whether they are lv10, 30 or 60... which is a real bummer as the xp needed keeps jumping forward drastically each level cap, therefore driving more and more people to desperate leveling methods, changing the game entirely from what it was a few months ago (what i opine to be the PL golden era, with many legendary contributing community members)
    This system prompts predictable progress for players, without unduly unbalancing the game.

maybe... instead of increasing the amount of xp needed to level every cap-raise, you re-set the experience gaining proportions. here is an example of what i mean... first, the current system.

(made up figures and rising values, it might not actually even be exponential)

lv40-45 = 10xp
    lv45-50 = 100xp
    lv50-55 = 1000xp
    lv55-60 = 10000xp
    etc... as in, the amount will grow towards infinity.... not good plan

why not instead adopt this?

level cap (5 level difference) = 10k
    % of levels below level cap = 7k
    (the next % of levels below the level cap) = (lower number)

that way, the leveling process is expected and reproducible, and as content gets released lower levels actually get easier to pass as their importance is lessened too.
    Last edited by Arterra; 11-24-2011 at 05:02 AM. Reason: changed OP to be more easily understood!
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good idea! Sounds like genius!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

This could work, but Im kinda confused with the level cap. So does the xp go down?

Proud Member of AEO (PL) and Sparkling Pwnies (SL)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beanmachine View Post
    This could work, but Im kinda confused with the level cap. So does the xp go down?
    Yes the xp goes down because the xp is decreased.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

I am not too great at explaining this, I'll try again.

Instead of increasing the total xp needed per level cap, assign a maximum xp needed for the last level (eg 10k) and scale down the experience needed per level from there.
    One side effect is that the more you expand the game henceforward, the difference of xp needed per level will smooth out as well, instead of there being radical jumps from 45+

the whole point of it is that while players get better gear and stats as they level, the difficulty also rises, and so the xp they gain per hour is technically the same whether they are lv10, 30 or 60... which is a real bummer as the xp needed keeps jumping forward drastically each level cap, therefore driving more and more people to desperate leveling methods, changing the game entirely from what it was a few months ago (what i opine to be the PL golden era, with many legendary contributing community members)
    This system prompts predictable progress for players, without unduly unduly unbalancing the game.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

In a way they are already doing this. With each successive level cap they've lowered the xp requirements for a lot of the previous levels.

While the current xp to next level for levels 60 thru 65 are lower than what is expected, it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't change a whole lot after this current xp "event".

Sam never did quite clarify if the current xp requirements for Mount Fang are part of the event or not.

In any case, we'll see what happens to the xp right after the event is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

as long as they simply keep making the necessary xp per level higher, and keeping the xp gaining system the same way, they are heading for the same problems all over again. I thought STS learned something about that when they switched liquidation systems in SL to represent fair amounts.