Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Officially been made redundant..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Default Officially been made redundant..

So I've officially been made redundant as of today, and I'm just unsure where to go from here.

Basically the organisation I worked for was government related, I helped people on benefits back into work (ironic I know). A new government program was launched and with it all offices included (7-9 in the UK). All for the company to make a huge (super) office in head office, meaning anyone involved got made redundant about 16-25 per office.

So after that knockback I'm still a little bent out of shape. I know I can hear you saying "well you helped people to get in to work this should be a cinch" wrong with there being no jobs out there its become harder and harder to keep up with the amount of jobless that come through the door.

I'm wondering is it best to wait for a job I really like and want to do.. Downside, may not find one for a good couple of months!

Or take the other road and get any job that comes my way? Money while waiting for a good job to show up.. Downside some of these jobs can be soul destroying!

This happening to me has made me realise that contracted government jobs are not exactly the most secure atm and that's what I'm looking for. Seems all the knowledge, experience and hard work in that field of work had been for nothing.. Maybe time for a career change in total.

If I was being made redundant on my performance or a few hand picked out of the office id understand but all this for a new office in HQ is ridiculous am i being unreasonable here or what?

Ugg, will be nice to hear a little feedback on this, even if it is a few posts all is welcome negative and positive

Thanks for listening either way

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

I'm sorry bud, you'll find another soon!

Don't worry ill pay you 1k a day to grind with me! That's your new job
    http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/javier995/132ba71b.jpg
    When the sky falls, when it crumbles,
    we will stand tall, and face it all together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

So sorry to hear this :'( Best of luck Friend !!
    May be at StS...(if very lucky)
    I am sure you will find your dream job...i am with you Bod!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by javier995 View Post
    I'm sorry bud, you'll find another soon!

Don't worry ill pay you 1k a day to grind with me! That's your new job
    Lmao! Thanks for the chuckle Jav, well needed atm, don't want to get into that depression mode, want to do something about it ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Rittik View Post
    So sorry to hear this :'( Best of luck Friend !!
    May be at StS...(if very lucky)
    I am sure you will find your dream job...i am with you Bod!
    Cheers Bro (Gets on first plane to Austin )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

OMG, Bod... I am sorry to hear this. Sometimes things seem to pile on, don't they? (When it rains, it pours)

My advice would be to get anything quick - and think of it as temporary. Just to keep coins in your pocket, and dedicate time as you go to following your true dream. Begin to make a roadmap... where do you want to be, and what are the very first steps to getting there?? Don't be impatient. Find work that you can do well, so it doesn't drain your energy - but keep your eye on the horizon.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler."
    - Thoreau

Best of luck my friend.

MimeRifle-Comm/40 | Radaroreilly-Eng/40
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." G.B. Shaw

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MimeRifle For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster:498119
    So I've officially been made redundant as of today, and I'm just unsure where to go from here.

Basically the organisation I worked for was government related, I helped people on benefits back into work (ironic I know). A new government program was launched and with it all offices included (7-9 in the UK). All for the company to make a huge (super) office in head office, meaning anyone involved got made redundant about 16-25 per office.

So after that knockback I'm still a little bent out of shape. I know I can hear you saying "well you helped people to get in to work this should be a cinch" wrong with there being no jobs out there its become harder and harder to keep up with the amount of jobless that come through the door.

I'm wondering is it best to wait for a job I really like and want to do.. Downside, may not find one for a good couple of months!

Or take the other road and get any job that comes my way? Money while waiting for a good job to show up.. Downside some of these jobs can be soul destroying!

This happening to me has made me realise that contracted government jobs are not exactly the most secure atm and that's what I'm looking for. Seems all the knowledge, experience and hard work in that field of work had been for nothing.. Maybe time for a career change in total.

If I was being made redundant on my performance or a few hand picked out of the office id understand but all this for a new office in HQ is ridiculous am i being unreasonable here or what?

Ugg, will be nice to hear a little feedback on this, even if it is a few posts all is welcome negative and positive

Thanks for listening either way
    I know how you feel, my job was "synergized" a couple years ago and I found myself unemployed after 10 years. I just applied for three or four jobs a day over eight months and finally found a reasonable job. It sucks to start at the bottom again, but it is a marginally better life than on unemployment.
    Growwle - My guess is 1050

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster:498138

Lmao! Thanks for the chuckle Jav, well needed atm, don't want to get into that depression mode, want to do something about it ASAP.

Cheers Bro (Gets on first plane to Austin )

Yw buddy! I knew you needed a laugh

Wait take me with you! (Gets into Bods biggest bag, turns on phone, and begin to play SL)
    http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/javier995/132ba71b.jpg
    When the sky falls, when it crumbles,
    we will stand tall, and face it all together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MimeRifle View Post
    OMG, Bod... I am sorry to hear this. Sometimes things seem to pile on, don't they? (When it rains, it pours)

My advice would be to get anything quick - and think of it as temporary. Just to keep coins in your pocket, and dedicate time as you go to following your true dream. Begin to make a roadmap... where do you want to be, and what are the very first steps to getting there?? Don't be impatient. Find work that you can do well, so it doesn't drain your energy - but keep your eye on the horizon.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler."
    - Thoreau

Best of luck my friend.
    Tell me about it

Very wise words that Thoreau!

Think that's the direction I was leaning towards, though I'm not sure what I want to do anymore, I felt that being an Advisor and helping people was the route that I've wanted for years now, but the government side may not be the best choice for someone like me. I can deal with contract changes we had about 6 changes while I was there. All of which had different objectives and ways to go around the un-employment field be it Employers or Self-Employment.

I can adapt to the following, learning the Provider Guidance, the rules and regulations, sanctions etc basically changes pretty quickly. But moving to a whole new department and applying my skills there seems to be where my downfall is, mostly because this doesn't usually happen as they've all been under the same employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Growwle View Post
    I know how you feel, my job was "synergized" a couple years ago and I found myself unemployed after 10 years. I just applied for three or four jobs a day over eight months and finally found a reasonable job. It sucks to start at the bottom again, but it is a marginally better life than on unemployment.
    Well done on the Job Growwle

It is hard, and I've found when unemployed I seem to wait for the right job to arise, though due to these circumstances I doubt I could survive for 6-8 months without a job to keep me on my feet so to speak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

I'd def suggest the do anything rather than wait route. Stay active.

Also, would they consider you for a post in the new central HQ? Would mean moving but you'd be able to stay in the job u like and would show lots of willing on ur part.

Good Luck with it all. Whereabouts in the UK are you based currently?
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Redbridge For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    I'd def suggest the do anything rather than wait route. Stay active.

Also, would they consider you for a post in the new central HQ? Would mean moving but you'd be able to stay in the job u like and would show lots of willing on ur part.

Good Luck with it all. Whereabouts in the UK are you based currently?
    Thanks Redd, I live in Wales, Newport, and the HO (HQ) is in Sheffield (England), they offered me 3k (£) to commute on top of my wages per year, though after a long discussion with my gf (now my ex, as of late) we decided that it wasn't the route for us, and I turned it down. 3k wasn't enough to travel there and back each day and moving away was not an option at the time, all places have been taken now. If only I could have seen that coming, guess it just wasn't to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Man, you wanna hear about some crazy job endings, I got fired from dairy queen for having a seizure one day. Haha ridiculous people dude. Just keep your head up, do whatever you need to do to stay positive. Grab some lame 9-5 for a little while, save up some money from that and maybe take a week long vacation. Find you a new old lady too maybe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Sorry to hear it Bod

Where are you originally from?
    L15 Mage - Certificates. L12 Behr - Certificate. L15 Teamer Mage - Duuq

THE DUUQS WILL RULE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Artentreri:498271
    Man, you wanna hear about some crazy job endings, I got fired from dairy queen for having a seizure one day. Haha ridiculous people dude. Just keep your head up, do whatever you need to do to stay positive. Grab some lame 9-5 for a little while, save up some money from that and maybe take a week long vacation. Find you a new old lady too maybe?
    Isn't that considered an unlawful termination?
    Growwle - My guess is 1050

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Growwle For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Artentreri View Post
    Man, you wanna hear about some crazy job endings, I got fired from dairy queen for having a seizure one day.
    Wow is that even legal? :O

Haha ridiculous people dude. Just keep your head up, do whatever you need to do to stay positive. Grab some lame 9-5 for a little while, save up some money from that and maybe take a week long vacation. Find you a new old lady too maybe?
    Haha sounds like a plan!

Cheers Art, Guess its time I start throwing my C.V. out there at least

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BodMaster For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaduck View Post
    Sorry to hear it Bod

Thanks bro, born and raised in the UK, Wales

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster View Post
    Wow is that even legal? :O

Haha sounds like a plan!

Cheers Art, Guess its time I start throwing my C.V. out there at least
    No, it's not, but I was 16 at the time livin from house to house so I didn't think about it too much haha.

Definitely, just make sure to show her off to your last one. Haha.

Alaska, Left the heat on & melted my Igloo...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Very sorry to hear Bod. Job market is super tight right now. Keep your head up & that positive attitude your known for

Been unemployed all summer & not from lack of looking for work, just from bring picky & not wanting to take a step backwards. Getting a job & actually getting paid what your worth is a rarity now a days.

I say don't be overly picky but definitely don't take a job that you feel is beneath you. Things will pan out if you put your mind to it!
    Last edited by Bakoffmycandy; 12-01-2011 at 01:01 PM.
    Proud Officer of Infinite Union
    Downloads -36 Commando * Http -36 Operative * URL -36 Engineer

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Bakoffmycandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster:498282
    Sorry to hear it Bod

Thanks bro, born and raised in the UK, Wales
    Wow really??? I completely thought you were american. LOL! Welcome to the "Im from the UK" club... you are the 5th member -____-
    L15 Mage - Certificates. L12 Behr - Certificate. L15 Teamer Mage - Duuq

THE DUUQS WILL RULE.

24.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #19
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

That sucks, Bodmaster Sorry to hear you've lost your job.

Long story short, I was laid off from the Dev Studio I was working at back in Jan of 2010. I got involved in doing contract Community Work which led to me meeting Gary Gattis (Spacetime CEO) at the 2010 Game Developer's Conference and I started doing contract work for them. Fast forward a year later and I was hired full time by Gary to the position I have now at Spacetime.

So, while I know it stings be laid off now, you are alive, kicking and the future is full of possibilities. Focus on the positive. Get out there and network. Volunteer or otherwise help out with something you're interested or passionate about and see what doors open up.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Samhayne For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Artentreri View Post
    No, it's not, but I was 16 at the time livin from house to house so I didn't think about it too much haha.

Definitely, just make sure to show her off to your last one. Haha.
    Was going to say then, what excuse did they use this time! lol, because the line of work I used to be in I've heard my fair share of those unlawful stories, but if the person at the time didn't realise or didn't want to cause a fuss on getting this actioned there are ways around it unfortunately

Lmao I'm sure that would go down well haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakoffmycandy View Post
    Very sorry to hear Bod. Job market is super tight right now. Keep your head up & that positive attitude your known for

Been unemployed all summer & not from lack of looking for work, just from bring picky & not wanting to take a step backwards. Getting a job & actually getting paid what your worth is a rarity now a days.

I say don't be overly picky but definitely don't take a job that you feel is beneath you. Things will pan out if you put your mind to it!
    Thanks buddy! Don't feel any (Legit) job is beneath me as such, but I can see where you are coming from. Just don't want to get too comfortable in that job, as I know that can take me into a mindless job, with no potential gains from it.

Wow really??? I completely thought you were american. LOL! Welcome to the "Im from the UK" club... you are the 5th member -____-
    Lol! When I out in my two cents, I change it too pennies Im sure there are more members from here hidden somewhere, Bo, introduced me into a few id say I know 10+