Thread: 2019 Level 27 Ranger (Fox) Guide

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default 2019 Level 27 Ranger (Fox) Guide

Hello!

I've seen a great increase in the amount of players that are making new foxes at Lv 22-27 and it's great to see!

So I know some people are struggling a bit on how to play with Lv27 foxes, what skill orders to use against each classes etc. etc.

And for that reason I thought I'd share my knowledge of playing a Lv27 fox, as I have been playing it for quite some time now among many chars.

So! Enough chit-chat, let's get into the guide.

This guide will consist of 3 sections:
    -Builds/attributes
    -Gear
    -Playstyles and fighting scenarios against all classes

SECTION 1#

Builds/Attributes:

**A quick side note, We will be neglecting DEX fox builds since I have found it to not be as viable as STR foxes in the current meta**

For the Attributes,
    make sure you have at least 62 points in STR, as this will be needed for the Lv20 Warrior & Paladin plat packs (Commonly known as Conq set and Guru set).

The remaining attribute points I would highly recommend putting into DEX, as this will improve your damage, hit%, crit and dodge greatly. It also increases your skill damage (amount of damage your actual skills do) more than just going full STR.

Build wise,
    it is a common misconception that high hamstring is needed. It's... actually quite the opposite. The reason I say this is because you mainly use hamstring as a set-up for the abilities you're going to follow up with. There are just simply better skills to put points into such as Armor Shred (hence my username :3).

The build I use is as follows: 1 Rabid, 1 Vixen, 6 Evade, 6 Tonic, 1 Fury, 1 Hamstring, 6 Shred, 1 Howl, 1 Dart, 1 Needle and 1 Hypno.

This is more of a nuke-ish build since it's based mainly around Shred, but a good balance between sustain and nuke would be:

1 Rabid, 3 Hamstring, 6 Evade, 6 Tonic, 1 Fury, 3 Armor Shred, 1 Needle, 1 Dart, 1 Howl, 1 Hypno and 1 point in whatever you like.

Or the pull/juke build with vixen kick:

1 Rabid, 1 Hamstring, 3 Vixen, 4 Shred, 6 Evade, 6 Tonic, 1 Fury, 1 Needle, 1 Dart, 1 Howl, 1 Hypno.
    (Idea behind this is that 3 vix allows you to use vix before your target is in range, meaning you can hypno,vix AWAY from them when they are approaching you, and possibly bait their Ice or Beck etc. while still stunning them with Hypno.)

SECTION 2#

Gear:

Gear is a very important factor, at all levels really.

Like I mentioned above under the builds and attributes section, you will mainly be using the plat pack items.

A standard gear setup would be as follows: Lv20 Conq helmet, Lv20 Conq fine sword, Lv20 Conq armor and Lv20 Conq shield.

Using the other set, which is known to some as the fine sword set, the black one, is also a good choice, it gives more armor than Conq does, but you should be prioritizing dodge and crit on any Fox, which Conq has more of. Since Conq sets gives more crit and dodge I recommend it more.

Hammer setup would look as follows: Lv20 Conq helmet, Lv20 Guru hammer, Lv20 Conq armor.

You may have noticed the armor and helmet is still from the Conq set, this is due to the fact that the Conq helmet and armor give more crit and dodge than Guru does, which is important for any Fox.

Now, keep in mind the ones I listed here are just the very basic and elementary setups.

We have a lot of other items to choose from to switch these gear setups up a bit. Items to consider:

Lv20 *Pink* Mint cutter/Peppermint Pounder (Cutter and Pounder have the same stats, however I found that Cutter has smoother animations. These 2 weapons give more skill damage than Guru hammer, whilst sacrifing basic attack damage.)

Lv25 *Pink* Reaper's blade (Gives significantly better stats than the normal Conq sword, plus it looks a lot cooler :P)

Lv1 Nutzo Wand (This wand works surprisingly well against some DEX bears because of the Shatter proc. A built in Armor Shred basically).

Lv20 Black heart shield (Gives a significant amount of damage over the conq shield, if you happen to be using a sword setup)

Lv25 STR Halloween Marrow Mantle & Helm (gives slight increase in damage, but I wouldn't recommend it as it decreases armor significantly)

Lv15 Experts Reinforced Leather (Huge increase in crit, some people like to use this with hammer just for the 1 hit memes)

Ring,ammy and founder:

For rings, I would recommend using the Black ring of valiant glory, however Red ring works just the same with less regens.

For ammys, I would recommend the Lv10 3 armor 1 crit ammy (I can't think of the name). However this is not necessary, just helps a lot.

Founder's Helm is pretty straight forward, a cool vanity helm that gives 5 armor and 5 damage. Again, not necessary but helps a lot.

SECTION 3#

Fighting Mages:

Fbow Mages: Hammer
    Paw/Rose/Candle Mages: Sword

Mages are easily the hardest to fight against with a fox, assuming the mage knows what he is doing. Mages have the ability to remove negative effects with their heal, which also includes fox's Armor Shred. If you're using 6 Shred like me, you can't afford to get it's -60 armor healed off since you heavily rely on it.

The basic principle is to damage them enough so as to bait their heal, and AFTER they healed immediately shred them. Don't wait. They have short cooldowns on that heal. How you do this, is entirely up to you; I would normally do Rabid,Ham,Hypno,Needle and by this time they are low enough so that they MUST heal. Once they do, simply land your Shred, follow it up with a vix and dart/howl.
    Now in the rare instance where this combo DOESN'T get them low enough to heal, you want to follow up your hypno,needle with a howl and only then use shred.

Now, if they are using Fbow and are squishy af, Try using hammer and doing: Hypno, Needle, Shred, Vix. This should nuke them.

Fighting Foxes:

Fighting against other foxes is mostly pure luck imo. Whoever gets more dodges wins.
    However I found that while using Sword Hypno,Rabid,Shred,Vixen,Needle works quite well.
    Using hammers Hypno, Needle, Shred, Howl, Dart works quite well too.

Don't use vixen whenever you are stunned (Fox's Hypno, Bear's Beck, Mage's Freeze) as this will cause the common issue of your target switching.

Fighting Bears:

Oh boy, where do I even begin?

Like I mentioned above in the Gear section, you can try using Nutzo wand vs DEX bears. This is a 50/50 since you are solely relying on the proc. Use Hypno,Needle,Shred,Vix with Nutzo.
    If Nutzo doesn't work, use Hammer and do the same combo.

Now if they are an STR bear, never use Nutzo. Your damage will simply just not be enough. I recommend using Sword vs STR bears that use Sword, and Hammer vs STR bears that use Hammer (Rare).
    Combo vs. STR Bears with sword:
    Hypno,Vixen,Shred,Needle,Dart,Howl

I recommend using Dart before Howl as when you are stunned by Beck+Stomp they'll take a longer time to get to you when they are slowed by it, giving you more time for the stun to expire and unload more abilities on them.

Fighting Birds:

Birds are nonexistent at this bracket simply because of how underpowered they are. They do however start to shine after lv30.
    Use hammer vs. birds if they're DEX, Sword if they're STR.
    Combo: Hypno, Rabid, Shred, Vixen, Needle.

Fighting Rhinos:

Also nonexistent at this level bracket, but you basically fight them the same way you fight mages as stated above:
    Rabid, Hamstring, Hypno, Needle, Shred, Vixen, Dart, Howl.

General tips:

1. Dash towards your opponent after you both start approaching eachother, as this can make them panic a bit and give you better odds of winning.
    2. Like I said above, don't use vixen kick while you are stunned. This will do the target switch bug.
    3. When you are getting ready for a fight and you use your buffs, wait till you get really close to use your Evade buff. This is just because it has a short duration that expired fast when you're in longer fights vs. mages and such.
    3. When you're engaging the enemy, stay as close to them as possible. Your Shred has a 3m range (short) and your basic attacks are melee
    4. Using a vanity weapon to hide the real weapon you are using is effective as it makes it harder for the opponent to figure out what you're using and how you will be engaging.
    5. Your Needle, Vix are your highest damage skills other than Shred. Use them after you have Shredded your opponent to maximize damage output. There are exceptions though as I explained in the Fighting Mages part of section 3.

6. Another really important thing which I actually forgot to mention earlier, are the combos for fox (not skill orders, combos). Fox has 3 combos. First of which is the most common one, the Slam combo. This is performed by using Rabid, Hamstring.

After this you can perform a Knockout combo. This is performed by doing Rabid,Vixen AFTER you have already done the slam combo.

Last one is the Buried combo, which is performed by hitting Hamstring right after Knockout combo.
    To put this all simpler:

Rabid>Hamstring(slam)>Rabid>Vixen(Knockout)>Hamstr ing (Buried).

Alot of the time you will perform these combos completely unintentionally and then feel like a boss afterwards Lol.

A long time fox player known as Walie made video on fox combos if you need further clarification https://youtu.be/wiikMAF18ao

-End of Guide-

I am constantly updating this Guide to help the best I can, so I would greatly appreciate any feedback or constructive criticism below :-)

Let me know down below if you have any further questions, or PM me in game: Eatmyshred

Peace!

EDIT 1: Added more pictures for better illustration

EDIT 2: Added Bird and Rhino classes

EDIT 3: Added "General tips" sub-section to the guide

Sent from my Moto C using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Eatmyshred; 03-28-2019 at 03:00 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eatmyshred For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

Very well written, it's clear you spent a fair amount of time on this

Perhaps add pictures of the build and gear setups?? This helps cut it down from being a wall of text whilst also being useful

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burntoutdex For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burntoutdex View Post
    Very well written, it's clear you spent a fair amount of time on this

Perhaps add pictures of the build and gear setups?? This helps cut it down from being a wall of text whilst also being useful
    Thanks for the feedback! I will add screenshots soon!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eatmyshred For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eatmyshred View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! I will add screenshots soon!

Looks much better now

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burntoutdex For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts

Very nice guide. Thanks for taking the time to make it.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dolloway For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

very detail guide, like it, thanks for making great guide

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rehanmgual For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Amazing Guide! Rly Helpful tysm

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SomeNoobishBear For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Where have u been? I thought u quit lol, and ur freshfoot still at that solid Lv103
    -Stxp

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Organise For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

thx for the guide man and the effort put into this

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Strongtank For This Useful Post: