Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Made me laugh! beggar in CS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger:507439
    Aikebo...although you often have some excellent posts...they are generally way, way too long. Can't bring myself to read nonstop long post after long post. Try cutting the length down a little bit in the future? I'm certain you will find more feedback to your posts.
    Thank you for the advice. Ever since the New Elixr Feedback thread, I vowed to make shorter posts. I have made 35 posts since then, all much shorter.

Just so you know, the other day, I found that in just the last few days - 29 different people on 10 different threads made 67 posts that were all as long or much longer than this one.

25 of these 29 people have all been posting on the forum longer than me and/or have made more posts than I have.

Were you saying that I need to keep my posts short for some reason, or were you just giving a friendly reminder to everyone that it's a good idea to try to keep it shorter rather than longer? That second idea I agree with.

What is the word count limit? You seem to know. Apparently, I'm not the only one that is not sure.
    "How Wude! Mesa your humble Servant."
    "You can argue with me, but you can't aruge with the math." Foghorn Leghorn, 20th Century American Philospher

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aikiebo View Post
    I agree. First off, he didn't even ask for power leveling.

He asked for help leveling up. If he is a true new player, still low level and didn't join with a friend who is traning him, I can almost gaurantee that he needs help leveling up.

He probably don't know what to do. One time in FH, a bird was spamming "how do I get more dex". So, I looked at his inspect page and he hadn't added updated any of his stats and he was level 14.

Why do you think that there are now the "tips" messages as we move through the game. Because people aren't learning fast enough.

My first time through, the very first conversation I had with anyone about game mechanics was the first time I fought GO. We waited for a level 56 to show up. He gave a speech telling us all what to do. It was hysterical. But some might have thought he was beeing rude. Not really, he was just trying to make it very clear to us what he wanted us to do, lol.

As far as "asking for assistance is a form of begging".... from Merrium Webster Dictionary:

Definition: Ask

2a: to make a request of "she asked her teacher for help" 2b: to make a request for "she asked help from her teacher" 2: to make a request "asked for food".

Synonyms for Ask: question, interrogate, query, inquire, request, solicit.

Definition: Beg

1: to ask for as in charity 2a: to ask earnestly for

Synonyms for Beg: entreat, beseech, implore supplicate. "Beg" suggest earnestness or insistence.

I can't give the link to this cuz I'm on the app, but I just googled "Merriam-Webster Dictionary".

Obviously, there is a big difference between asking and begging. In fact, "beg" is NOT EVEN a synonym for "ask".

Btw, it looked like the guy who was asking for help got a guild invite.

Players should feel free to ask for help in-game and on the forum.

Be nice and have fun.
    Ok, I didn't see this reply right away since I'm a noob, anyway, allow me to address you. The moment you said "he didn't even ask for power level", I totally knew everything else that would follow would be false (Call it gut feel). Let me define what power leveling is to you, even without looking at any reference, power leveling is when a higher level helps a lower level to...level-up, which includes avoiding the usual difficulty, so in a way, it's an artificial game slider that to some people are disgusting. Now, tell me, wasn't he asking to be power-leveled given that definition? If you insist no, then you can stop reading since I will be revolving around this definition of what power level is and everything you said beyond that was in support of it. Using basic in-game common sense, why would somebody ask assistance from another player if he thinks he cannot help him level up in such manner? In-game and actual experience say that you don't "ask" for assistance from lower level people (that's totally absurd) or even of the same level (you ask to party or you ask if you would to run, but, categorically saying "assistance" common in-game says, it's a lower level addressing a higher level).

Now on your next point, you specifically used "I" on your experience which means everything that follows is your "own" experience and cannot be used to argue something that concerns a population (misleading). Personally, I "never" experienced that so that already disproves your argument. Your eagerness to help low levels is not an excuse to allow power leveling as a general population, that feeling of wanting to help that dex bird is your own judgement no better than mine (I would not help), again that example is not valid to excuse power leveling unless you can prove to me that if no power leveling occurs it will cause a significant "breakdown" of a game. Again your next point where a higher level bird assisted you, it's "your" experience so again that's not a valid point if you'll use that as proof to justify an action concerning the entire population, you can categorically say it worked wonders for you but you cannot use it to say it will work wonders for others, misleading. Next point, you "assumed" people aren't learning fast enough based on what? That is "your" opinion don't claim that as fact, you may be right, but you may not be right, but it's not without doubt therefore you cannot use it at all to justify your argument, just say it's your opinion and say it worked wonders for you. Overall, everything I said above is saying that everything you said is based on your own experience nothing more nothing less, therefore, you have not justified anything except narrate your excerpts in-game.

Now let me tell you a story about how power leveling originated. Back in the day, they call this leeching because it allowed players to skip the difficulty that the other players did not, that brought about annoyance and much debate, whether they be friends or whether it be consent, fact remains that a low level benefited from a high level which doesn't diminish the leeching activity. To address these, popular MMO's then either created the "tagging" system so leechers are forced to fight and attract aggro, or ban the leechers (Feel free to look these up on google, I don't like to quote much unless it's a dictionary). Now people being very innovative, they were able to create a program called "leech" bots that allow your toons to behave like a human player and leech without actually playing the game, these prototype bot programs will avoid all enemies at all costs and survive so they can get a piece of the XP all the time (tag enemies). Again the game companies devised a way to address these and tracked down these leech bots and banned them one by one. Since these prototype bots aren't really that "convincing" (very robotic movements, patterned movements, toon that doesn't talk, etc.), leech bots somehow took the back seat but was never defeated. Now, the "clever" guys then improved their creation to AI BOTS which are harder to detect as they behave like real players (Again, feel free to look these up, you wouldn't see it in one essay but you will see bits and pieces of events, I'm actually doing you a favor by putting them all together). And so, the game companies and hackers war continued leaving MMO game casualties. There are many games that were ruined by the onset of bots such as Runescape, any Runescape player can attest to that. Not only does botting destroy the economy, it discourages "new" players because they can no longer interact with real people, imagine all players doing ALA Mr.Smith(Matrix) and you're the only one left XD. End of Story. Now, if you actually gave effort and look them up), you will find that everything I said is true and are "facts". There you go, I just narrated how a simple innocent power leveling mutated into a MR.SMITH(MATRIX) true-story. Now tell me, does your own personal experience weigh heavier than that? If you say yes, then let's not discuss any further, we will just have to agree to disagree on that point.

To the final point of the difference between asking and begging, your statement of the two words being having "big difference" is false. Indeed the two words are different but put in a context, "asking is a form of begging", I never said the two are synonymous, I said, asking is a "form" of begging based on the definition I quoted. Now you have to take into account the instance of what we're talking about otherwise what's the point. The ask-er blatantly asked for level up assistance to a stranger (yup, no reason to think they're acquainted), now let's analyze, when you go out there and you try to ask something from a stranger, doesn't that mean you're begging? In this context, asking is a form of begging. There many ways to use ask and one way is to beg that's what I'm saying that's why I did not say it categorically synonymous, I said it's a form. You can ask to seek an answer such as "asking for a name", or ask to invite such as "asking somebody out", or ask to to request (I think you're referring to this form of ask), you do realize that in a dictionary you have the different number 1,2,3 to identify the different forms. If you notice, upon looking up "beg" definition you will see that one number will (most of the time) show "ask" for charity/donation as its form of use, however, you will not see any term "beg" under the definition of "ask" (in most cases), this is because asking is a form of begging and not the other way around (begging is not a form of asking..) maybe next time you can site a dictionary better and not discriminate just to prove your point. Going back in context, it is clear as day that the one asking is using the "begging" form because the one he's talking to is a stranger and is not indebted to him as opposed to a customer in a restaurant asking for water (waiter is reponsible for the job so it's in requesting form). Anyway, I feel like I'm re-explaining things I learned over a decade ago so my wordings are a little bit cluttered. Anyway, thanks. XD

EDIT: Removed last line XD
    Last edited by zeusabe; 12-13-2011 at 03:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

We shouldn’t ridicule players publically. This forum is for EVERYONE. We haven’t been authorized to narrow that idea. Maybe he wanted to power level, maybe not. The game allows power leveling. So, even if that’s what he wanted, that’s ok.

People “speak from their own experience”. You do. Apparently, your experience with power leveling is more limited than mine.

As far as leeching goes, we basically agree with each other. I’ve said many times that leeching is the worse form of power leveling. But, no need to judge those that use the new elixir. It’s not the end of the world. People will still learn how to play. If STS is making big money from elixirs, then that is a very good thing. Relax and let people enjoy their free time. Most log into the game to enjoy and have fun.

Power leveling is any technique, device, method, etc. that allows for faster leveling. Power leveling is here. It’s been here a long time and it seems it’s gonna stay for a long time. Should people power level (e.g. use elixirs of any kind) without learning how to play? No, of course not.

I understand people are nervous about power leveling cuz of the total absurdity that Mynas Gen was. But, our game has improved and people are different. It’s not going to be the same. Power leveling is a 1000x better than simple leeching.

Being nice and helping others is important. No one is obligated to do so. But that is what STS is hoping we’ll do. The purpose of AoA /GoA is to be friendly, nice and helpful. Let’s encourage people to play the game and play the game longer.

There needs to be more in-game communication. We need to improve the rate new players are learning. The devs and players are improving this. It’s getting better.

Yeah, asking and begging are two different things. You can ask questions all day long without begging and beg all day long without asking a question. I gave the info to find the Merriam-Webster Dictionary so that people could see I was accurate.

Be nice and have fun.

word count: 357
    word count of the post I’m responding to: 1678

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aikiebo For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

Omg I loved that post Aikiebo

Spot on

-------AEO-------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NECROREAPER View Post
    Omg I loved that post Aikiebo

Spot on
    Thanks, Necro! I appreciate that a lot.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

We shouldn’t ridicule players publically. This forum is for EVERYONE. We haven’t been authorized to narrow that idea. Maybe he wanted to power level, maybe not. The game allows power leveling. So, even if that’s what he wanted, that’s ok.

People “speak from their own experience”. You do. Apparently, your experience with power leveling is more limited than mine.

As far as leeching goes, we basically agree with each other. I’ve said many times that leeching is the worse form of power leveling. But, no need to judge those that use the new elixir. It’s not the end of the world. People will still learn how to play. If STS is making big money from elixirs, then that is a very good thing. Relax and let people enjoy their free time. Most log into the game to enjoy and have fun.

Power leveling is any technique, device, method, etc. that allows for faster leveling. Power leveling is here. It’s been here a long time and it seems it’s gonna stay for a long time. Should people power level (e.g. use elixirs of any kind) without learning how to play? No, of course not.

I understand people are nervous about power leveling cuz of the total absurdity that Mynas Gen was. But, our game has improved and people are different. It’s not going to be the same. Power leveling is a 1000x better than simple leeching.

Being nice and helping others is important. No one is obligated to do so. But that is what STS is hoping we’ll do. The purpose of AoA /GoA is to be friendly, nice and helpful. Let’s encourage people to play the game and play the game longer.

There needs to be more in-game communication. We need to improve the rate new players are learning. The devs and players are improving this. It’s getting better.

Yeah, asking and begging are two different things. You can ask questions all day long without begging and beg all day long without asking a question. I gave the info to find the Merriam-Webster Dictionary so that people could see I was accurate.

Be nice and have fun.

word count: 357
    word count of the post I’m responding to: 1678
    Power leveling is leeching, C'mon, be more sensible it's same thing, the only difference is the other one sounds a lot better. What is so hard to understand that both methods practice low levels being piggy backed by higher levels? That is the core definition of it. Power leveling is not "only" a technique for faster leveling but also a technique to "avoid" the usual difficulties, it goes hand-in-hand. True, power leveling has been there a long time but it doesn't mean you have to accept it just like that, it's like saying ok prostitution has been there since kingdom come so let's just accept it. If you're fine with that, then go ahead, but I'll continue to condemn power leveling 'till I decide to call quits in MMO. Obviously, we have difference in principles. Btw, I am proud to say that my "experience" in power leveling is limited, in fact, almost none, because I condemn it, I would be a hypocrite if I preach and not practice.

I'm pretty sure when STS devs said people help, they did not mean let them leech you. You can help in many ways, like answers questions, or give start-up items. But to let them leech you, it's classic case of right intention of helping but wrong means. It's like helping a classmate by letting him copy your notes, it's not right. period. Don't sugarcoat it. Like I said, it was even a BANNABLE offense in other games that has developers more successful than STS, so are you saying they are wrong too?

I'm not discussing the definitions independently, put it into context on what this thread is talking about, there is truth when you say they are different but when you "put" it into the context of this thread (the screenshot), he was asking in begging form as I said in my previous post. You are limiting the definition of asking, I even gave examples, there are many ways to use the "word" ask in a sentence much like how you can use the word "running" i.e. "the boy is running fast", and you can also use it as "he is running for presidency", you seem to disregard the part where you use "words into context" and just define them independently.

If you read my post, one paragraph there wasn't my experience at all, but from actual "events" that took place in the MMO industry, either you did not read my post or you totally ignored that.

I'm not sure what's your point in counting the words, but I'm confident that my "1678" post is a lot more "meaty" than your "357", in fact, I could have gone past "3000" if I wasn't at work. Only shows the discrepancy in the ability to compose a post in a coherent manner between us, as writing 101 states the more you write, the more mistakes, you obviously have a limited capability to achieve it, because that "357" has more mistakes than my "1678", that's how I'd look at your figures. Thanks XD

PS: I'm not generally nice, I admit, but I sure am having fun. XD

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Thanks, Necro! I appreciate that a lot.
    He praised you after he directly "attacked" me by name calling in another thread, just saying XD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zeusabe View Post

PS: I'm not generally nice, I admit, but I sure am having fun. XD
    A lot of discussion on power leveling is off-topic. This thread is about the pic of that player at the cs. If you want to debate power leveling, that's fine. But, it will need to be on a different thread. I asked you about this once before and you backed down and said you didn't want to do that. Then mumbled something about how the only people that will talk to you are your parents.

Try to take it easy.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

A lot of discussion on power leveling is off-topic. This thread is about the pic of that player at the cs. If you want to debate power leveling, that's fine. But, it will need to be on a different thread. I asked you about this once before and you backed down and said you didn't want to do that. Then mumbled something about how the only people that will talk to you are your parents.

Try to take it easy.
    Ah yes I remember saying that, Ok if you want to call that back down, it's ok, I'm not so sensitive about those things, what I also was trying to say is, I will post whenever I want to post not when somebody tells me when to post XD I'm taking it easy, I'm actually facebook-ing while waiting for your "short" responses XD to my effortless "long" ones XD