Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: The future of PL ... long term recommendations; my most important post for this year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I agree theres not any real reason to up the skill levels to 8. I put my first point in meditate, and gosh, what a horrible horrible skill. 45 second cool down for a 3 second ms boost. Even having a point in heal felt noobish to me. My birdy was awesome in sewers and a good bird and bad bird stood out very clearly. Now, we all have the same builds, sheesh, a player by max level can't really even mess up his skills, its all just automatic now, no thought required
    Duped - Lvl 65 Mage
    Conanursan - Lvl 65 Bear
    Isniped - Lvl 65 Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I think we'll be fine ... so long as each class has their non-buff skills upped to 8. Buffed skills would remain at 6.

It would force some decision making at least ... which skills to max out?

Some are obvious choices:

Bird:
    - Blast shot
    - Break armor

For PvP
    - Blinding shot
    - Repulse

And so on ...

I'm reluctant to go above 8 right now though - we don't want for example birds breaking massive amounts of armor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow!
    Thks WhoIsThis for this great job.

The Netherlands, posted 8 hours later than forum time.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Well said attackelf
    SebastiaaNL 67 mage, IlikePvP 66 bird, DutchTwinkk 56 bear, NoobzGtfo 44 bird, BoomFear 35 mage, moneymakerrr 11 merchant
    Proud member of Influence!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for a great start now if sts will follow through this should be all time post.

Thanks for your time and thoughts of many.
    Utaca 76- Skiiafacoz 72- Skiiabear 53- Utacax 35

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    I think we'll be fine ... so long as each class has their non-buff skills upped to 8. Buffed skills would remain at 6.

It would force some decision making at least ... which skills to max out?

Some are obvious choices:

Bird:
    - Blast shot
    - Break armor

For PvP
    - Blinding shot
    - Repulse

And so on ...

I'm reluctant to go above 8 right now though - we don't want for example birds breaking massive amounts of armor.
    I didn't mean that raising max skill levels (on non-buff/de-buff skills) was a great idea, for sure....it just would lead to some variety and some thought required when picking a build. I am pretty sure almost every end-game archer, bear and mage have pretty much the same skill build at this point, give or take a point or two here or there.

I still think skill trees is the way to go. Would make PL and SL way more hugely varied/entertaining. Not to mention the plat generated by all the constant respecs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

We need either more skills, or a skill tree - hmm.

With more skills, the skills have to be roughly comparable in power. Otherwise, we'd have the same problems.

I'm against the idea that one person suggested of allowing other skills from other classes.

Otherwise, what to choose?

- Beckon
    - Thorn Wall
    - Lightning
    - Ice Storm
    - Fire Blast
    - Drain life (or alternatively shattering scream for blast)
    - Blast Shot
    - Blessings of Might
    - Evade (bird)
    - Mage Heal
    - Mana Shield
    - Perhaps Revive, or alternatively stomp

Reason?

1. Beckon, if stomped available, use
    2. Thorn
    3. Lightning
    4. Hot flash, which if timed well can hit as same time as nature strike
    5. Blast shot

Unstoppable AOE domination.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 12-14-2011 at 08:45 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoIsThis For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

No, imho cross-class skill usage would be tragic for one, and be almost impossible to balance for two. Hey, an idea is an idea, but that would be too hard to balance out.

The idea of a beckoning archer or taunting mage is kind of funny, though :_

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zeusabe View Post
    So anyway, going back, item leeching will be practiced to its greatest form. Your suggestion will ultimately lead to a PVP-oriented game which the game itself is not ready, definitely, not ready, both in in-game mechanic and technical aspect.

The bar is simply too high in pay-to-play market as of the moment, and PL isn't really touching that market right now because they know they can't, the game is geared for casual not for hardcore, requiring people to pay is calling out hardcore market. The logic will be like this, "Why would I pay for PL if I can pay for WoW or Rift or Aion", the moment that sinks in, it's over. Anyway, that's it on my opinions. I'll reserve others after you address these. Thanks. XD

The thing is - WOW you must pay. With PL, you have the option to pay or not to pay, with no real penalty if you do not. No elixirs when you do a run. That is not something that everybody wants. People who want to can pay. People who do not, won't. You get 100% of the content if you pay or not, which is a huge difference. In a typical MMO, you MUST pay often to get access to content or to even keep playing.

Equally important, to your response about a PVP centric game - not at all. I have repeatedly said that PvP will not have a higher drop than PvE. You also do not lose your items when you die in PvP - in fact under my system, you gain items.

Tournament & Ladder Leader AbsolutePally's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

Disappointing to not see any dev comments. Fearfu that if something like this goes unnoticed it may have tragic consequences for PL.
    Retired: Alwaysdt 71 Mage. Legends never die, they just fade away.

Revelation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutePally View Post
    Disappointing to not see any dev comments. Fearfu that if something like this goes unnoticed it may have tragic consequences for PL.
    Devs read every post. This whole thread is so well thought out, you can be certain they have read and discussed it among themselves.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

The thing is - WOW you must pay. With PL, you have the option to pay or not to pay, with no real penalty if you do not. No elixirs when you do a run. That is not something that everybody wants. People who want to can pay. People who do not, won't. You get 100% of the content if you pay or not, which is a huge difference. In a typical MMO, you MUST pay often to get access to content or to even keep playing.

Equally important, to your response about a PVP centric game - not at all. I have repeatedly said that PvP will not have a higher drop than PvE. You also do not lose your items when you die in PvP - in fact under my system, you gain items.
    The psychological effect of subscription will still be there, obviously, in order to sell that optional subscription, at all, it must have some sort of leverage compared to purchasing platinum items one by one (product bundling to summarize your idea), otherwise, nobody would even touch that. People will start to think that STS is forcing their players into subscribing. However you put it, there is no such thing as a hybrid pay-to-play and free game, the moment you put that option, it will be classified as pay-to-play. That's how the industry works. Name one game where it's classified as hybrid pay-to-play and subscription. None. When somebody checks out a "new" game they haven't played before unlike yourself, they will only see that "subscription" option and automatically classify it as such. I don't think it's a good business move for STS.

Regardless of drop rate, they can still abuse the item drops from PVP kills by coercing. I did not say that losing items is the problem, it's the fact that you can repeatedly kill a fellow player with consent and get loots regardless if they lose that particular item or not. It's a proven flaw already that's happening now. Anyway, you're just suggesting so I won't really bother too much about it since you didn't really claim it would be the best direction. Nice effort for the write-up though. Thanks. XD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zeusabe View Post
    The psychological effect of subscription will still be there, obviously, in order to sell that optional subscription, at all, it must have some sort of leverage compared to purchasing platinum items one by one (product bundling to summarize your idea), otherwise, nobody would even touch that. People will start to think that STS is forcing their players into subscribing. However you put it, there is no such thing as a hybrid pay-to-play and free game, the moment you put that option, it will be classified as pay-to-play. That's how the industry works. Name one game where it's classified as hybrid pay-to-play and subscription. None. When somebody checks out a "new" game they haven't played before unlike yourself, they will only see that "subscription" option and automatically classify it as such. I don't think it's a good business move for STS.

Regardless of drop rate, they can still abuse the item drops from PVP kills by coercing. I did not say that losing items is the problem, it's the fact that you can repeatedly kill a fellow player with consent and get loots regardless if they lose that particular item or not. It's a proven flaw already that's happening now. Anyway, you're just suggesting so I won't really bother too much about it since you didn't really claim it would be the best direction. Nice effort for the write-up though. Thanks. XD
    You're kidding right? Coercion to PvP? Nobody is compelled to PvP - in fact the PvE chances remain better (due to the availability of elixirs). The incentive to PvP does not exist in that respect. If drop rates in PvP > PvE, then yes, there could be. But I did not advocate for such a system. And if anybody is trying to "coerce" anybody else into PvPing (or for that matter doing anything), that player ought to be reported. How is it already happening? In PvP, there are no rewards. There is no "coercion" to PvP happening right now either. Everybody who PvPs does so voluntarily - PvPing is very much a labor of love right now because there are no rewards.

I did not advocate for losing items for a very good reason - in fact I'd consider quitting if they did.

Finally, there is an incentive to subscribe yes, but so long as 100% of the content is free, there should not be an obligation. I make it very clear that there needs to be no obligation in my original post, which I think you need to re-read and my response earlier. In most other MMOs, you must pay for access - what I am advocating is to keep the full game accessible for non-platinum and to make an option to subscribe, but a subscription that gives no new content and nothing that could not be purchased with platinum should the player so desire. I suppose in that respect, it is an unconventional idea. But, the volume of platinum sales suggests that there are plenty of players that are willing to put a lot of money into this game. How the subscription is billed is key.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 12-15-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutePally View Post
    I have not been on since this morning, but the winter campaign does not bode well. Platinum for runs is worsening the earlier perception that things are not going well. I suspect that this post has largely been ignored.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 12-15-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

good work.....long and precise

I do suggest devs to look into the event pack plat purchase

in halloween 2011, people were crazy about getting all the vanities and the pink pitchfork, so what happened to our duplicated extra vanities? They just sit in our stash/inventory occupying space and we dont even want to loot any of them because its would be a 'waste' to do so.

in the new xmas 2011, people will be crazy again for the gingerbread and keep on buying packs until they get one.

at the end..our stash/inventory will be filled with extra vanities which we can't do anything about it.

I strongly suggest devs to make use of the extra vanities so that the plat buyers feel they are worth to spend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blurryeyes View Post
    good work.....long and precise

I do suggest devs to look into the event pack plat purchase

in halloween 2011, people were crazy about getting all the vanities and the pink pitchfork, so what happened to our duplicated extra vanities? They just sit in our stash/inventory occupying space and we dont even want to loot any of them because its would be a 'waste' to do so.

in the new xmas 2011, people will be crazy again for the gingerbread and keep on buying packs until they get one.

at the end..our stash/inventory will be filled with extra vanities which we can't do anything about it.

I strongly suggest devs to make use of the extra vanities so that the plat buyers feel they are worth to spend
    To be honest, vanity, I am not too worried about.

If you wish to spend 500 plat to buy that vanity or for random vanities, so long as they don't have stats (or in the case of the holiday weapons, not stats powerful enough to change the game), it should be ok.

Vanity is 100% optional for purchase, although I do support the idea of a la carte vanity purchases at a raised price.

18.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #77
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Great post. Just a quick note to say thanks and let you know that yes the team reads the forums.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Samhayne For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    Great post. Just a quick note to say thanks and let you know that yes the team reads the forums.
    To begin with, I am glad that this post has been read (and I hope that given the amount of time it took me to write it ... a couple hours by the entire PL dev team), I do however feel that there needs to be some sort of formal response to everything that has happened - perhaps a 2,000+ word post regarding the future.

Something like a road map for the next year or so. As the length hints, it should be in significant detail. We are seeing some players get discouraged and leave or go on hiatus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

To begin with, I am glad that this post has been read (and I hope that given the amount of time it took me to write it ... a couple hours by the entire PL dev team), I do however feel that there needs to be some sort of formal response to everything that has happened - perhaps a 2,000+ word post regarding the future.

Something like a road map for the next year or so. As the length hints, it should be in significant detail. We are seeing some players get discouraged and leave or go on hiatus.
    +1.

It is not enough, at this point in light of semi-recent events, to simply know that the devs are reading. What people are looking for are dev responses other than "We have mouths to feed". We know this. Multiple concerns/issues have been raised, most regarding plat in some shape or form, that have not been answered or addressed with anything other than "We are a business". We know this. The majority of vet forumers know this and did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday. A lot of people are looking for answers, that have not been very forthcoming in the last few months at times with any detailed responses. We respect you guys and look for justification/answers/reasoning/cookies along the lines of how it used to be more often during the first year but becoming more scarce, objectively.
    Last edited by Moogerfooger; 12-17-2011 at 12:33 AM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moogerfooger For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

This is getting very, very troubling. A lot of posts have been deleted and threads locked.

After the holidays, I think that we as a community want some sort of a response.