Thread: Complaints about STS and my solutions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Default Complaints about STS and my solutions.

Recently, there has been a decline of customer happiness. At least on the forums.
    While we forumers are just a small part of the community, most of us have spent the most platinum.
    I feel our complaints are [usually] perfectly justifiable, and nails the coffin shut for STS...kinda.

Anyway....
    Listed in order of priority (for me at least )
    COMPLAINT #1: STS lack of creativity following Balefort Sewers.
    Explanation (With a creativity review of all campaigns):
    STS is now basically repainting backgrounds and mobs, with a few tweaks. Here's a creativity review.

Forest Haven/DF/Fathom/Balefort - All the same, because STS was just a budding company.
    Lost Expedition - I think this was beginning of the top of the mountain for STS. Great campaign, TOTALLY different mobs, (Yetis), but the whiteness did hurt my eyes. But hey, this was a snowy campaign.
    Ancient Swamps - This was the best campaign STS has churned out besides AO3, before Swamps got nerfed. Same thing as before: totally different mobs (Crocs) and an environment that enhanced teamplay.
    AO1 - A so-so campaign, but it did offer newer mobs and campaigns.
    AO2 - Great for the development and population of PL, bad for the more hardcore players enjoyment. (Mynas)
    AO3 - I'm sure you've heard about it. The best campaign STS has ever released, and at this creativity rate, the best campaigns STS WILL ever release. It had challenging mobs, that dropped plenty of liquidate-able trash greens that built up after a while. Best of all, it capped off with plenty of challenging bosses that required STRATEGY, FINALLY, instead of just hack n' slash away.
    Balefort Sewers - A campaign that was a little bit above-average. Inclusion of fire grates and those challenging spiking birds made it a campaign that worked your timing. I liked how the oranges/greens were almost equivalent to the pinks.
    Nuri's Hallows - This was the start of the foreseeable (creativity-wise) end. The mobs were repainted. The gameplay wasn't so bad, imo though. The mobs were just challenging enough that we didn't have to be lazy.
    Mount Fang - The current campaign. From what I've heard, it's basically a hard repaint of Balefort Castle, with better mobs and different bosses.

The STS side argument - So far, all I've heard from the people who support STS through thick n' thin is that the main spine is free, and at least the campaigns were released relatively fast...

My solution - Honestly, I can't think of anything to "solve" anybody's lack of creativity, I don't think you CAN solve a lack of creativity. Only thing I can think of is something that's been suggested before -- to have the forumers suggest ideas for the next campaign, and work with the players. That'd be something to do rather than wait around at elite cap, so it would satisfy players of the lack of new material. It'd also increase population of forums community.

Complaint #2: STS is now all about platinum
    Explanation
    • The new platinum vendors. "Harvey the Hat Maker" "Vincent the Vendor" "Tori the Teller" They're advertisements.
    • The Elite Caps combined with the elixirs. From what I hear, an average player uses about 300 - 500 Platinum getting to the elite cap. That's a bit too much.
    • Reduced Recipe drop rate combined with buyable recipes. I've seen posts asking whether recipes drop or not. Apparently in MF, the drop rate is so low. Buying recipes with platinum is a viable option once again...

Pro - STS argument - All I ever hear, ever is that STS is a business. They have to make profit, to feed themselves. Also, "Platinum is optional." True. But...

My argument towards this is that yeah, of course, STS is a business. But let's be brutally honest: it doesn't have the best graphics. I mean, if we were basing on graphics, I would DEFINITELY go buy O&C. It doesn't have the greatest gameplay experience. If we're basing on gameplay, I'd go buy O&C as well. But no, I play PL because it was a game that WAS cheap to play. I play PL because the devs USED to interact with EVERYONE. I played PL because the devs USED to come up with wonderful campaigns for a relatively cheap price. Most of all, I play PL because friends play PL. If my buds quit, I'd definitely walk out, too. This is my challenge to STS: Can you make this a game that doesn't hinge on the fact that my friends play PL?

Also, platinum isn't...really optional.
    If you want to do winter festival runs, it's 2 plat per run. Sure, yeah, WF is optional too.
    If you want to get to 66 without your eyes falling out, you gotta buy at least 100 plat.

My Solution - I would definitely tweak the UI a little bit, perhaps MOVE THE GOLD ELIXIRS TO THE TOP. It's been a long time at the bottom for the gold elixirs and the horrid flick to move scroll seems like it's purposely there to make it inconvenient for you to reach the gold elixirs at the bottom. I would also perhaps increase the recipe drop rates, and release a 3X elixir...FOR GOLD. OK, I can hear the gasps. But, PL also needs a better gold sink, and perhaps 50 - 200K 3x/4x Elixir would do the trick. It wouldn't take away too much from the profits of STS, and perhaps a gold elixir is just what STS needs. It'd definitely, imo, take away the argument that STS is MAKING us buy platinum from elixirs. Plus, we get gold elixirs that you don't have to grind forever to get elite cap.

Ya so that's all the complaints that I relate with too. Heh. Not as many as expected.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to noobmigo For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Well said. You hit everything I have been thinking of randomly but am to scatterbrained to write in a comprehensive post

I was stunned at how nice the new SL campaign was. Especially compared to the new-er PL campaigns like Nuri's and Fang. I can see where they are spending more dev time, seemingly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

I agree fooger- PL has dropped since sl came out. I kinda wanna quit PL for SL now. I mean te new gear is completely new (not jist ild armor rpainted) and apparently it rocks.
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    Well said. You hit everything I have been thinking of randomly but am to scatterbrained to write in a comprehensive post

I was stunned at how nice the new SL campaign was. Especially compared to the new-er PL campaigns like Nuri's and Fang. I can see where they are spending more dev time, seemingly.
    It seems odd. PL is still the game with the larger player base and thus higher potential for more revenues. To be honest, I am not sure what SL offers that PL could not offer. They share the same gaming engine and basic codebase.

PL right now needs more attention than SL does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    It seems odd. PL is still the game with the larger player base and thus higher potential for more revenues. To be honest, I am not sure what SL offers that PL could not offer. They share the same gaming engine and basic codebase.

PL right now needs more attention than SL does.
    I am not saying it makes sense, but after several runs through the new SL campaign, it is obvious who the red-headed stepchild is, as far as creativity with level, environment, and equipment design

Until an AO3/Voleria-caliber campaign comes out in PL, not much will dissuade me otherwise Volleria lacks something like the Cyber quests from AO3, but it is relatively impressive as far as graphics and some new angles like the snipers go. I was however totally underwhelmed by the last boss. Just along drawn-out blastblastblast with no real stategery required.
    Last edited by Moogerfooger; 12-17-2011 at 01:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I've largely stopped SL so I can't say I would know what has happened. Missed the 36 cap. But from what I have seen, SL really doesn't offer anything that PL could do as good or perhaps better.

I think that SL has become the favored child though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Ur right i started pl because i liked the fast support, the nice idea and the "cheap" game. I joined the forums cause i liked to met the nice players of pl and that i can suggest things for new campaigns, but now it seems like sts likes to nearly copy old campaigns rather then trying out the ideas of the users that really think about things that make the game better. But i have to say i still like the game but it would be nice if the points noobmingo described (much better than i did) could be improved
    Characters:
    Deadfarmers Level 76 Mage Deadsoldiers Level 36 Bear Deadfighters Level 15 Twink Deadmerchant Level 33 Merchant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

[QUOTE=WhoIsThis;

PL right now needs more attention than SL does.[/QUOTE]

well said bud

+1

Devious [lvl77 mage] IDEVI [lvl77 bird] Famosity [lvl77 bear] and sum moar...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Very, well, done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Thanks guys.
    I don't agree SL should have less attention, but perhaps even it out a little bit?