Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Regarding: Absence of Guardians of Alterra

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

Default Regarding: Absence of Guardians of Alterra

First off, I think we need some more Guardians; so lets get to that.

Based on just my view and correct me if I am wrong, we have a lot of Guardians either gone, or inactive.

The bolded Guardians of Alterra below are Gone or Inactive based on my view:

Inducted 2/11/11: Yanis, Kalielle, Orei, Physiologic, Royce, Arterra, Snakespeare, FluffNStuff, KingRichie

Inducted 2/25/11: RedRyder, DanielRH

Inducted 3/25/11: ChadM, Wrap

Inducted 4/8/11: Mysticaldream

Inducted 4/25/11: Ellyidol, Apollo

Inducted 5/6/11: Redbridge, Ayrilana

Inducted 6/16/11: CowboyJim, DawnInfinity, Petrichor

Inducted 7/31/11: WoundedEagle, Otukura

Inducted 9/20/11: JaytB, CrimsonTider, StompArtist, Conradin

Inducted 10/7/11: NavyGreen, Darkfader

Lets take a closer look at Guardian of Alterra activeness based individually:

-Apollo: On everyday, super active on forums and in-game.

-Arterra: Out of control with bad wireless connection; activity is early morning, around 6 eastern for chatbox and few posts. Not active in-game.

-Ayrilana: In-active on forums and in-game.

-ChadM: Last activity on forums was 09-22-2011 08:15 PM. Not active on forums nor in-game.

-Conradin: Active in-game and on forums. On everyday.

-CowboyJim: Not so active on forums. Posts every few days 3-6 day increments. Not known to be currently super active in-game.

-CrimsonTider: Active everyday on forums. Also active in-game a lot.

-DanielRH: Currently posted that they are taking a break. Active on forums and briefly in-game.

-DarkFader: I believe he is active in-game and on forums partially.

-DawnInfinity: Not active on forums nor in-game. Peaks on forums every now and again.

-Ellyidol: Active on forums everyday. Not so active in-game to my knowledge.

-FluffNStuff: Active on forums. Not active in-game.

-JaytB: Posts about once a day. Not so active in-game.

-Kalielle: Not active on forums; posts every few days. Not active in-game to my knowledge.

-KingRichie: Recently made a thread saying hello. Came on that day and hasn't been on since. Not active in-game nor forums.

-Mysticaldream: I think he's active in-game. Not way too active on forums, but still here; posts everyday.

-NavyGreen: Hit Guardian and hasn't been seen since shortly after that. Not active on forums nor in-game.

-Orei: Last activity on forums was 04-13-2011 06:11 PM. Was seen in-game farming kills. Not active. (Still Guardian?)

-Otukura: Active in-game everyday and active on forums everyday.

-Petrichor: Active in-game and partially on forums (Doesn't post much).

-Physiologic: Not active in game. Got StarGuard and hasn't been active on forums since 10-23-2011 07:37 AM. Not active.

-Redbridge: Not super active in-game, pops in every now and again. Posts everyday. Active on forums.

-RedRyder: Active on forums everyday. Partially active in-game.

-Royce: Sadly gone from forums and game. No activity on forums since 03-24-2011 05:17 PM. Not active at all.

-StompArtist: Plans to quit soon due to the way STS is rolling. Has been active on forums, I am unaware about in-game, but would say not active.

-WoundedEagle(Me): Ehh. Active on forums everyday and active on my Twink appropriately named, Twink, everyday for short periods of time.

-Wrap: Not active on forums since 11-19-2011 07:52 PM (Woh, Wrap was on in November?). Not active at all.

-Yanis: Posts every few days. Not active in-game to my knowledge. Never made Mt. Fang Pink Guide (Drewcapu did).

So are most active people and the best models of a Guardian at this moment, based on activity in-game and on forums are:

-Apollo
    -Conradin
    -CrimsonTider
    -DanielRH
    -DarkFader
    -Otukura
    -RedRyder
    -Not going to say me because that would be cocky.

People active during December at all:

-Apollo
    -Arterra
    -Conradin
    -CowboyJim
    -DanielRH
    -DarkFader
    -DawnInfinity
    -Ellyidol
    -FluffNStuff
    -JaytB
    -Kalielle
    -KingRichie
    -MysticalDream
    -Otukura
    -Petrichor
    -RedBridge
    -RedRyder
    -StompArtist
    -WoundedEagle
    -Yanis

Suggestions, in no particular order:

-Siejo
    -NecroReaper
    -Gluttony
    -Noobmigo
    -WhoIsThis
    .... I started searching around then realized none others came to mind...

This thread may be useless or look bad. But I don't think people nor STS realize how much the ideal program of Guardians of Alterra, the highest rank in the community one player can get to, has gone down the drain.

For those who want to be one, it isn't about the rewards (Just a shield and forum title), it's about changing the community for the better in a different way. To be honest, I believe I was made one for how much I reported. I was an in-game police. I changed my attitude when I got it, and when the shut down the old report system that I loved. Now that I am one, I am less active, less social in-game, I have less fun in-game, I get more questions that people should ask themselves first, and I lost what I did all of that for. I didn't want to be a Guardian, just wanted to help the way no one else was.

So, my point is, we need to strengthen this program fast before it dies. The reason why so many Guardians quit, is because we know STS and we know Pocket Legends inside and out (not to be cocky or pretentious). I think the reason is that we just know where it is and where it is headed when we see the potential and possibilities of the game and STS.

Happy Holidays,

-we.....

P.S. I am not to acquainted with every Guardian, so please feel free to correct me. Also, post some suggestions... We haven't gotten new Guardians since October.
    Last edited by WoundedEagle; 12-17-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I'm not sure adding more guardians would improve the standing of this program at this point.

It's a program that has lost its luster, so to speak. Letting this program die out seems like the best option IMO and scrapping the entire thing.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhoIsThis For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

I agree with many guardians going innactive I think we need some new guardians.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    I'm not sure adding more guardians would improve the standing of this program at this point.

It's a program that has lost its luster, so to speak.
    I understand where you're coming from. You should probably be on the list too. You're active everywhere. I just think it needs cleaning so to speak.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

I am on every day in-game buddy. I have 12 toons so I am constantly bouncing around trying to avoid the boredom.

To explain my thoughts on GoA, many of the ones who are gone or inactive are that way for a few reasons but one which is common is this: boredom. I will not go into what this entails but I can assure you it is a common understanding that this is NOT the PL we all grew to love. Also, I don't know about you, but the complaints/concerns I get on a daily basis make logging in to "play" difficult. (Thus my high number of twinks... my escape.)

I like your suggestions but I will tell you that a lot of people whom I feel are best suited for GoA are already heading in the direction of the bolded names.
    Last edited by CrimsonTider; 12-17-2011 at 12:10 AM.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WoundedEagle View Post
    I understand where you're coming from. You should probably be on the list too. You're active everywhere. I just think it needs cleaning so to speak.
    I am not trying to become a GoA. The program, as I have said, is no longer something worth striving for in my mind.

Edit:
    To me, it's one of those things where, if it happens, good. If it doesn't ... not a big deal.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 12-17-2011 at 12:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    I am on every day in-game buddy. I have 12 toons so I am constantly bouncing around trying to avoid the boredom.

To explain my thoughts on GoA, many of the ones who are gone or inactive are that way for a few reasons but one which is common is this: boredom. I will not go into what this entails but I can assure you it is a common understanding that this is NOT the PL we all grew to love. Also, I don't know about you, but the complaints/concerns I get on a daily basis make logging in to "play" difficult. (Thus my high number of twinks... my escape.)

I like your suggestions but I will tell you that a lot of people whom I feel are best suited for GoA are already heading in the direction of the bolded names.
    I also escape on Twinks. I baby them. I have over 30 Twinks/alternates I bounce around on also.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    I am not trying to become a GoA. The program, as I have said, is no longer something worth striving for in my mind.
    Oh, I hope I didn't come off that way. I meant the fact that your help and activeness is not even at the slightest to get the Guardian position; You're genuine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

No offense taken. I know that you have the best of intentions at heart.

To me, intentions are always more important than anything else, and I can see that you have good intentions.

10.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #9
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Is there any particular reason why you think the GoA program has lost it's luster? I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on that.

Also, beyond just adding more to the group, what would you like to see from the program?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    299 Posts

I tthink u missed my name
    But i agree we need more GOAs i like walkin around an seein those sheilds flashin around!
    But yes GOA is just a name i wanna see sommething else out of the program but im not sure exactly what though :/
    I would never take it off haha!
    Good luck to whoever is next!
    We kno yul all deserve it!
    Last edited by LwMark; 12-17-2011 at 12:30 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LwMark For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Steph moved on to O&C, to my knowledge. Aka DawnInfinity.

Vampire the Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandar View Post
    Is there any particular reason why you think the GoA program has lost it's luster? I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on that.

Also, beyond just adding more to the group, what would you like to see from the program?
    The quality of GoAs has declined with each successive generation. The first 2-3 generations consisted of players like Royce, Physiologic, who were very active. Some of them left. Others, such as Apollo and Ellyidol stayed. These were non-controversial people that most people agreed demonstrated outstanding achievement on the forums. Each successive generation though, saw people who were not of the same calibre. In one case, we had a player by the name of Navygreen who joined, did very little, and managed to earn the GoA within one month, only to never be heard from again. There are other cases, but you get the idea.

Either way, the end result has been that the GoA selection system is no longer a meritocracy. It appears to be something that is quite randomly awarded. I ams sure that it is not, but because the bar was set lower and lower, it seemed like it. Furthermore, there were people who were in the eyes of the community more worthy than say, Navygreen who did not get it, such as Siejo.

At this point, Physiologic's recommendation of scrapping the entire program and making the GoAs regular senior members is in my opinion anyways, the best option. People who are truly passionate like Ellyidol or Apollo or Wounded above are not going to go away and stop being helpful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

To be honest, it is so inactive. Before I was Guardian, I thought it wasn't just a reward. I thought it was a way to get through to the devs. A way to be heard better. Which it was, but in an off-set manner so to speak. I would rather them strip the shield and be able to get through to them better. I just get flustered at how much potential we have, and how STS seems to push away the innovators who have molded the game to where it is now. I would have to agree that this is not the game I grew up loving. It was different. It seems as if STS wants to make a profit off of... well.... anything. For instance the Reindeer Antlers in DotD. There the same exact coding and the same exact thing as 2011 Reindeer Antlers, just a different name. Of course you could walk to Towne Crier and get some for free. Those who buy them seem to be suckered in. It's not like I can tell the difference between purchased ones and free ones....

Quote Originally Posted by Draco Mikato View Post
    Steph moved on to O&C, to my knowledge. Aka DawnInfinity.
    Yep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Two very different answers.

This program had so much potential when I heard about it in the winter of 2011. Today ... it's almost irrelevant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Actually I disagree. The problem is not that the quality of the GoA's has been declining. The problem is human Nature. Everyone wants to be better than the next guy and from a selfish point of view, the GoAs are "better" than the average guy. Certainly they are leaders and should be upheld but not considered "better" if you catch my meaning...

Because of this, we get people like, (i believe his name was) MasterChief who come in to the forums, find out about GoAs and then pretend to be someone they're not. MasterChief gave away all his money and items in hopes of achieving GoA. When he wasn't awarded with it he raged and quit. Rumor has it he now begs in game for a living...

My point is, people should not try and achieve GoA. They should be themself and if they deserve GoA they will get it. Human nature simply doesn't allow the system to work.

You mentioned the first GoAs were of the highest quality. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it stand to reason that it is simply because they were not expecting GoA? In other words they were helpful just to be helpful. They had no intention of earning anything. Their motives were pure.

Now the motive is "If I am helpful and good enough I might get GoA." IMO that is a flawed idea.

~MM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I'd have to disagree with Might on this one. The quality of GOAs has been declining. If we look at the order, do you see the later generation of GOAs making as many guides, and being as active as the first 2-3 generations? Some like Wounded, yes. But many others, no. On average, the quality has declined with time.

Not to mention, empirical evidence contradicts his post. When the program was first introduced, there were many people asking how they could become a GoA. Today, there are few people striving to become one. People are no longer actively trying to become a GoA, or certainly not nearly to the extent that they were in the early month's of this program. Note the lack of threads and posts from people asking how to become a GoA - hence how I pointed out why this program seemed irrelevant.

19.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #17
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Okay so I think we've established that everything thinks it is on the decline. But the question I haven't seen answered is what would you like to see happen in order to revive it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Yanis...NavyGreen...Arterra! Gone! Now Lowly is gone, Skav is gone, Stomp will be gone soon... My only close friends are leaving.

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Okay so I think we've established that everything thinks it is on the decline. But the question I haven't seen answered is what would you like to see happen in order to revive it?
    Here, Wounded and I will probably give you very different answers.

I believe that this program has declined to the point where it may be past a salvageable point. I think it's best to let it die out and turn the GoAs back into senior members. A few may be hurt, but the ones that are genuine are going to keep on being as active and useful as ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandar:514466
    Improve the election process, I don't want to see a single vanity in game that states they are a GoA or else people will start to try and get in for the wrong reason, and give players the feeling that the devs are right beside you as you are now, Pandar.
    Last edited by Cahaun; 12-17-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!