Idea is simple. Instead of the first few options being to take essentially generic weapons from a specific level and upgrade them. Allow it to be a generic 'mech/OK/Fists/etc' upgrade option, so if you had the right crafting grabs you could use those to add options to any white/tan weapon.

Not sure how the ads would work, maybe a sliding scale based on the weapon's equip level (so the bonuses for lvl's 1 - 6 wouldn't be the same as level's 37 - 41 but the bonuses for a level 14 weapon would be the same as bonuses to a level 16 gun.)

I suppose this would essentially let you add modified/special/whatever status to anything.

Could also expand it to armor.

My worry is how to make it so the lowbies can get the stuff needed for their crafting but leave mr lvl 36 grinder still having to work to find all the bits.

Also. Unrelated but I'd honestly like to see the past level cap vanities become craftables. Start with a generic helm for your character (any level so long as it's something for your class) and a hard to gather crafting list. Result would be a non-tradeable, non-sellable vanity. The actual recipiet for the item would also be non-tradeable (meaning YOU would have to be the one to buy it.. .and it would cost 10k - 20k credits.)

Means those that missed out on past crap vanities could still theoretically get them, but it'd be insanely hard to do and the end result couldn't go on the market.