Thread: Items drop rate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Items drop rate

hi all, i think the drop rate should be increased a bit i don't have all day to play and this is taking too long.... + people whould proally sell for less so everybody whould be happy :P ty for reading me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Riggas View Post
    hi all, i think the drop rate should be increased a bit i don't have all day to play and this is taking too long.... + people whould proally sell for less so everybody whould be happy :P ty for reading me!
    Well...while I understand it can take a long time sometimes to get pinks I don't think they drop rate should be increased to make the game easier for everyone. So far, only the incredibly rare items have low enough drop rates to make them actually hard to get. Other than those rare few items, all of the other times just take a few runs though plasma pyramid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jstizar View Post
    Well...while I understand it can take a long time sometimes to get pinks I don't think they drop rate should be increased to make the game easier for everyone. So far, only the incredibly rare items have low enough drop rates to make them actually hard to get. Other than those rare few items, all of the other times just take a few runs though plasma pyramid.
    Too bad Plasma Pyramid takes about 40 minutes to complete.
    Last edited by Banned; 07-21-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Banned View Post
    To bad Plasma Pyramid takes about 40 minutes to complete.
    Too bad plasma pyramid drops random crap...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't know all of you would complain so much :P. Plasma takes a little while but you have a better chance there of getting the standard pinks you need then in another dungeon. The rarer pinks.....good luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

I don't think you have to play all day to get drops. You just have to join groups running through the right maps. Groups get more, simply put. I ran the Fathom "Quick Pain" map solo and got about a half dozen drops, and it took a while because I used the technique of out-running the demons while shooting at them. But with a group, we can do "Quick Pain" in about 5 minutes and everyone gets about half a dozen items. Sometimes a group will agree to go back and run "Quick Pain" several times, hoping for an orange or green drop, because it's mostly white and silver liquidation material (but don't sneer at that because you can make enough in two runs to buy a hundred health potions).

But the point... I tend to get lost on rabbit trails...

The point is, go with groups because you get the same amount of treasure only faster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    I don't think you have to play all day to get drops. You just have to join groups running through the right maps. Groups get more, simply put. I ran the Fathom "Quick Pain" map solo and got about a half dozen drops, and it took a while because I used the technique of out-running the demons while shooting at them. But with a group, we can do "Quick Pain" in about 5 minutes and everyone gets about half a dozen items. Sometimes a group will agree to go back and run "Quick Pain" several times, hoping for an orange or green drop, because it's mostly white and silver liquidation material (but don't sneer at that because you can make enough in two runs to buy a hundred health potions).

But the point... I tend to get lost on rabbit trails...

The point is, go with groups because you get the same amount of treasure only faster.
    Problem with that statement. let's say there was a group of four farming for a talon in AO2 level one. they havent gotten a talon yet. then someone else joins on a new round. All of a sudden, he sees that he gets the talon! -.-

What I'm trying to say here is that your drop rate reduces as more people join, same thing happens with xp.
    List of Insults! Found by me.
    THIS IS!!!!!!!.....sparta.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LIGHTNINGLORD67 View Post
    Problem with that statement. let's say there was a group of four farming for a talon in AO2 level one. they havent gotten a talon yet. then someone else joins on a new round. All of a sudden, he sees that he gets the talon! -.-

What I'm trying to say here is that your drop rate reduces as more people join, same thing happens with xp.
    Math is hard!

YOUR drop rate has NOTHING to do with who else is in the game. If you were to farm AO2 I by yourself 10 times, or 10 times with other people, YOUR chance of getting a Talon Drop will be exactly the same. The only difference is it takes an eff load longer to run 10 by yourself then with other people.

Now for Group Drop rate, if you have five times the people, the Boss will be 5 times more likely to drop a Talon for any one person.

Group Drop Rate = Number in Group * Personal Drop Rate
    BUT Your personal Drop Rate is still the SAME!

OK, now for the hard part, and why people always say they never get the drops. In a group of five people, it is FOUR TIMES more likely that SOMEONE ELSE will get the Talon Drop then you. I know I know, math is hard:

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

So, Fluff, you seem to concur that it is faster to go with groups. That your personal drop rate doesn't change, every member of the group has the same drop rate, the only difference is it is faster.

But Lightning is pointing out something I have seen, too. We only really get purples at my level, and they are pretty rare. They only drop from certain bosses, too, so if I were to run a level just to fight that boss, and other people joined me, the chances of getting the purple to drop are increased, but the chance of it dropping on me specifically is less.

I suck at math, but I'll give this a try. If I go once and 10 items drop, and 4 people go once to make 40 items drop and one is purple, then I would have to go solo 4 times to have the same chance of getting the purple, but it would guarantee that I got it, not someone else ... if it does drop.

So, basically, Lightning's point is similar to the OP in that if you are farming solo it takes a long time to get a rare item.

Still, I think that, if 4 people go 4 times, that should balance it out, right? And 4 people can go 4 times way faster than one can solo 4 times, but they have to have a goal, for instance, to repeat the level until everyone gets at least one rare item.

(I'm sure you can tell from my sig that I am not up to farming yet, so I'm just guessing.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    So, Fluff, you seem to concur that it is faster to go with groups. That your personal drop rate doesn't change, every member of the group has the same drop rate, the only difference is it is faster.

But Lightning is pointing out something I have seen, too. We only really get purples at my level, and they are pretty rare. They only drop from certain bosses, too, so if I were to run a level just to fight that boss, and other people joined me, the chances of getting the purple to drop are increased, but the chance of it dropping on me specifically is less.

I suck at math, but I'll give this a try. If I go once and 10 items drop, and 4 people go once to make 40 items drop and one is purple, then I would have to go solo 4 times to have the same chance of getting the purple, but it would guarantee that I got it, not someone else ... if it does drop.

So, basically, Lightning's point is similar to the OP in that if you are farming solo it takes a long time to get a rare item.

Still, I think that, if 4 people go 4 times, that should balance it out, right? And 4 people can go 4 times way faster than one can solo 4 times, but they have to have a goal, for instance, to repeat the level until everyone gets at least one rare item.

(I'm sure you can tell from my sig that I am not up to farming yet, so I'm just guessing.)
    Did you read fluff's post? because if you did I'm not sure you understood if fully.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

I suck at math.

What didn't I understand?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Consider this, the chance of you personally getting any certain drop is ALWAYS the same. Regardless of how many people are present when the boss goes down, your chances are still un-changed, which is why I never understand why people call drops when you join their game - you don't affect their chances.

The more people you have in a group however, the quicker you can complete runs and the more chance an item will drop, but with a full group you are no less likely to recieve an item yourself, you are only more likely too see it drop period.

Sadly as dungeons/enemies do not scale properly, it always makes sense to group when possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

drop rate is fine as it is, pinks are supposed to be rare so let them stay rare, there are different color gear for people who don't put alot of time in, or buy pinks from levels past, they are the same just I bit less def, and there are alot of choices out there , you can't expect the best pinks by playing an hour a week(for example)
    IAMBIRDMAN LVL50 SNIPER
    IAMTHEBEAR LVL45 TANK
    IAMABOOMSTICK LV45 NUKER/HEALER
    I put reality into words.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another thing to maybe help snake is that I have seen a boss drop two of the same item at once. Just because you see someone get the item you have been going for doesn't mean they stole it from you, they just got lucky and yes it's annoying to see but soloing isn't gonna give you a higher chance of getting rare items. Also xp is not split in any way you get the same amount of xp soloing or in a group nor do you get more for being lvl 1 in a 40 zone.
    Birdfy- 45 archer
    Elfffy- 25 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Fun story to tell on that regard.

Last night I figured I'll buy the rest of the maps, and then hosted a game in Lost. And a pink dropped for one of the other people in the group. It was only the second time I'd seen a pink drop, and I was so jealous! But I grinned and played on, hoping to see it again, and maybe it would be me. Not only did that not happen, but I kept dying in the boss fights and the others would pull the boss so far out of range that I wouldn't get a treasure drop. Here I has just spent a ton of plat and all I had to show for it was the fact the I was jealous of other people's bling.

But then, this morning, it was the opposite. I hosted for the Swamps [correction: Skeller Krunch] and in one of the levels I (my bear Corelli) got a pink. I celebrated, and one of the other players GAVE me two pinks. I guess he had duplicates. I made sure to give him back some archer drops I got that were purples. It was a really nice thing to do! But then, in the final level [correction: I don't know which boss], I got another! Four pinks just like that! And they were all for a bear. That is coolness.

It's wonderfuly random. You've just gotta play a lot (in groups, in the right levels) to tip the odds, but in the end, it's random.
    Last edited by Snakespeare; 07-22-2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: corrections