Thread: SL general guide to new players!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

Default SL general guide to new players!

So you're new to star legends huh? Have you been halted in your tracks whilst beginning your huge adventure in space? Well if so, you've found the right place!

When you start you will come to this screen:

The first thing to do is press the 'play' button. After doing this, your first job is to create your character. This is by far the most important decision of your adventure! During your time on this screen, you have to pick your name, gender and your class.

To choose a name, press the box toward the bottom of the screen that shows the current randomly generated name, then type in your desired name. But be aware, the game has been out for some time now and a lot of names have been taken. Also, keep your name clean, as you wouldn't want to be banned so early in your journey for an irresponsible name.

Ok, so now that's out of the way, you will want to choose the gender of your character. In the bottom left of the screen, you will see two buttons. These are where you will choose between a male and female character, pick which you would like.

After you have done this, you will, more than likely, want to customise your character. By pressing the 'customise' button, you will be able to choose between different skin colours, hair styles, and faces. Pick the perfect look for you!

Next, the BIG decision! You will have to decide between the three different classes. These are the operative, the engineer and the commando. All of them play important roles, and the best teams usually have one of each in the team. It would be a good idea to research these classes on the forum first, to find about each class. Here is a brief description of each:

Operative - This is the damage dealing class. They have great 'damage per second' for quickly taking down the harder mobs and bosses. They are also the only class that can wield two pistols at once.

Engineer - This is the support class. They can heal the party, and even revive dead players, so they can continue from where they went down. They are also the only class that can use 'glove' weapons.

Commando - This is the tank class. They can take lots of damage, due to a huge amount of armour. They should lead the team, and try to take the 'aggro' from the other players. They are the only class that can use heavy weapons.

After completing these steps, you will be given the option to upgrade your character for 30 platinum coins. Platinum coins are an alternate, purchasable currency in the game, which will give access to certain features such as vanity items, inventory slots, holiday events and much more. If you would like to upgrade your character, press the button. It will then lead you on to a screen, which will then allow you to purchase some platinum coins.

So you have finally entered the tutorial area. In there you will be shown, pretty much, the basics of the game, such as, how to move, rotate the screen, attack etc. It is possible to skip the tutorial area via the console, but be warned, it is very important to know how to play before you venture into space.

FINALLY! Welcome to space! The tutorial is over and you are now in the heavily populated universe, where you can find many helpful players who can assist you on your journey. Be sure to make friends and try not to be offensive to others. On the unlikely event that you would meet an offensive person, be sure to click on them and press the ignore button.

At some point you are going to want to chat with other players. To do this, just simply click the chat box at the top of the screen and type your message!

After completing the tutorial area, you will be automatically placed into a game. Here you will be able to fight enemies. To engage in combat, find an enemy and then press the attack button in the bottom right of the screen. By killing enemies you will gain experience points which are vital to a player, so that they can level up.

If you would like to leave the area, you will have to click on the menu button, in the top left of the screen. This will open up the menu. From there, you will have to click the button that says 'sector map'. This will open up another screen, which shows the different campaigns. Click 'USC blackstar' and then 'enter base' to be teleported to the main base area.

From here you can buy and sell items at the auction terminal, stash items at the stash terminal, accept quests, visit the sector map, talk to others and just chill out after the tiring effort of killing all of those space enemies.

So, for the rest of the menu screen. The first option is the avatar screen. This shows your character. Also, from here, you will be able to see your kills and deaths stats, which you will accumulate throughout your journey. Don't worry about dying though, as you will just get put back to the beginning of the map, which is no big deal. Furthermore, all of your stats will be shown on this screen, so you can compare with others or just check up regularly on them.

The next thing on the list is the inventory. Here, your items will be kept. Some of them will be of no use, which will be shown by a red box around the item. These can either be sold in your inventory, or sold at the auction terminal. The other usable items should be kept, unless you have 'out-grown' them. The items are colour coded to show the rarity. The colours go in this order, starting from least to most rare:

Grey-white-orange-green-purple-pink

Also, in the game there are super-rare vanity items that can be looted. These will be blue, but they are incredibly rare, and a lot of the community have never experienced looting one of these incredible items.

Next on the list is the skills tab. Whilst levelling up, you will acquire a number of different skills, which will be vital in battles to deal maximum damage. Each player can assign 8 skills into the skill slots, so choose wisely. Each skill can be upgraded up to 6 points, and if you feel you have distributed your skill points wrong, you always have the option to 'respec' them.

So, next, the platinum store. This is where you can purchase platinum coins, or earn them by downloading apps. Also, you will be able to spend them here too. You can purchase, armour, weapons, enhancers and lots more. These items are not compulsory, but if you would like to get slightly more out of the game, this is where you need to be.

Star legends is an mmorpg, this means there are lots of other people around, other than you. You will want to make friends in the game, and even join a guild. This is where the social tab comes in. From here, you can add people to your friends list, accept incoming requests, and see your friends an what they are doing. Also, if you click the guild tab, you can see your guild, if you have joined one.

Quests next. In every mmorpg, there are lots of quests to take part in. The quest page will direct you to your next quest and give hints on what to do during the quest. It, also, shows how close to completion the quest is. If you don't know where to go to complete the quest, you are free to press the 'go to' button, which will automatically take you to the correct area. Once completed, you can turn in the quest to receive your reward.

Finally, the menu. You won't have to use this often, but from there you can change options, see the credits etc. and pretty much what you would expect from a game menu.

So you know all that, but you still don't know how to join a game. To join a game go to the sector map and press join game. From there you can choose a game that you would like to join, and can even use the filters to refine your search, to get the best from the game. If you don't want to join the game, you can always host a game too, which will then allow your game to appear on the 'join game' list, so that others can join you.

You have been killing for a while, and now you are all out of potions. Well there is a solution to that. All you have to do is go to the USC blackstar base, and then to the potion vendor to purchase the amount of potions that you would like. If you don't have enough gold, u can always buy some with platinum coins at the platinum store.

That guy over there thinks he's better than you? Don't solve it with words, because, remember, we don't want to be inappropriate. Just remember, you can always resolve it with violence. Yeah, that's right. Forget what you have been told about violence never being the answer, and make a pvp game, where you can battle it out, to see who is better and even just to have fun with friends. Remember to keep chat clean during pvp, and always be respectful to your opponent.

OH NO! You logged out without registering your account. Well don't worry! Your account will be saved, but remember to register your account in the menu tab, so that you can log onto your account whenever and wherever. First click menu, and then spacetime nexus. From here you will see the option to register your account.

So you think you know everything now? Well get out there and begin your adventure! And remember, if you are ever in the case where somebody needs advice, try to be the one who can help out, because a good reputation is exactly what you need to get along with people in the game.
    Last edited by Matutd; 12-30-2011 at 09:03 PM.
    Nothing related to any players or drug references because they already got me into trouble

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matutd For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

wall of text !

LOL but nice guide bud (:

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kanozaki For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Nice guide dude

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Nice guide!

I'm going to make a guide too, it'll say
    "Guide to start off in SL!", then I'll put in the video that win the SL video contest. I can see it now!
    http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/javier995/132ba71b.jpg
    When the sky falls, when it crumbles,
    we will stand tall, and face it all together.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to javier995 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

+1. Love it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by javier995 View Post
    Nice guide!

I'm going to make a guide too, it'll say
    "Guide to start off in SL!", then I'll put in the video that win the SL video contest. I can see it now!
    Lmao

Thx for the positive feedback guys
    Nothing related to any players or drug references because they already got me into trouble

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

That's what I call a guide, it should to be stickied.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hankomachos For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

Thx hank!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

There is a very big difference with guides made by forum veterans and junior forum members.

Good guide
    One credit is what makes a million credits.
    Anishavie, The Merchant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Great Guide Mat! Although it could use a picture of me somewhere jokes lol!
    Star Legends: Drues (Operative) - Yahbuddy (Commando)
    Pocket Legends: Dreusadadan (Archer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

Thx guys don't worry dres I'll find a reason to fit a pic of you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Good text but I think no new player will read all this.. I think its much better to have all this information in a short Videotutorial.

Most of the informations here are in the Videotutorial of Challa too...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Good job, very well written. But I'd like to point something out.
    My thought is if you make a guide for new players, keep it short, simple and include just the essential stuff that newcomers need to know. They will learn more advanced things later, when they are more familiar with the gameplay .
    Challa - operative Challz - engineer Chalza - commando Challazalla - operative (twink)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Challa View Post
    Good job, very well written. But I'd like to point something out.
    My thought is if you make a guide for new players, keep it short, simple and include just the essential stuff that newcomers need to know. They will learn more advanced things later, when they are more familiar with the gameplay .
    Ok, true I suppose they might get bored of reading something so long hahaha
    Thx for the feedback guys and girls