Thread: What is the significance of DPS stat now?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Question What is the significance of DPS stat now?

I was reading this amazing write-up on dps vs dmg. (https://www.spacetimestudios.com/sho...led-comparison)
    It mentions that DPS=Dmg/weapon speed and refers to your auto attack dmg.
    So I compared the speed of auto attack on a level 3 toon and a level 76 toon and they both felt same to me.
    Why do we have this stat anymore? What is its significance? Why not just keep dmg stat instead of both dmg and dps?
    World will be a better and peaceful place if people learn to appreciate the difference in opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

DPS is more useful if all one is interested in is using their base attack and not any abilities. Because this isn't the case the majority of time, DPS is rather useless. I don't see the point of removing DPS, but Damage is certainly a far more valuable stat because it affects ability damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts

^
    Dps shows me how fast u can farm kt4 for energy, which is as useful as a screen door on a submarine
    \m/,____( >. < ‘ )________,\m/
    Suentous

“The Cult” does not exist. Stop asking questions!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts

lol dps is useless stat, and showing really nothing, damage dealt by skills depends only on DMG.
    for example on rogue:
    my dmg is 5084, dps is 9151 (with ebon daggers), 9151/5084= 1,8
    i guess that 1,8 is 1,8 attacks per second (using those daggers, and it will be 1,8 almost with all endgame daggers)
    with ebon/duggar bow it will be around 1,2 attacks per second

i would prefer if we had stats DMG and "attacks per second"
    for example instead of 930,4 dps in ebon daggers, it should be 516,9 dmg and 1,8 attacks per second... and ebon bow should be 485 dmg and 1,2 attacks per second
    i hope devs will make this change in all weapons' descriptions, so we could easier compare bow vs daggers
    Last edited by slaaayerrr; 12-07-2019 at 11:59 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to slaaayerrr For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slaaayerrr View Post
    lol dps is useless stat, and showing really nothing, damage dealt by skills depends only on DMG.
    for example on rogue:
    my dmg is 5084, dps is 9151 (with ebon daggers), 9151/5084= 1,8
    i guess that 1,8 is 1,8 attacks per second (using those daggers, and it will be 1,8 almost with all endgame daggers)
    with ebon/duggar bow it will be around 1,2 attacks per second

i would prefer if we had stats DMG and "attacks per second"
    for example instead of 930,4 dps in ebon daggers, it should be 516,9 dmg and 1,8 attacks per second... and ebon bow should be 485 dmg and 1,2 attacks per second
    i hope devs will make this change in all weapons' descriptions, so we could easier compare bow vs daggers
    Is that how its calculated?
    Weirdly the dmg to enemy from bow/gun/sword Auto is a bit higher compared to dag/staff/aegis Auto. What stat defines the damage of the Auto?
    World will be a better and peaceful place if people learn to appreciate the difference in opinion.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alexios View Post
    Weirdly the dmg to enemy from bow/gun/sword Auto is a bit higher compared to dag/staff/aegis Auto
    somewhere in old thread devs said that bow/gun will deal 2x damage (by autoattacks), dont remember about aegis (since lvl46 expansion i guess). it happened at same moment when all daggers got armor in stats (it was like rework all types of weaps)

What stat defines the damage of the Auto?
    damage and type of weapon i guess

PS:
    here's about why bow/gun with lower dps/dmg still deal more damage by autoattacks than daggers/staffs https://www.spacetimestudios.com/sho...f-the-Cryostar
    Last edited by slaaayerrr; 12-07-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts

Dps (damage per second) is how much damage you can do per second with your base attack.

If your base attack did on average 1000dmg per hit, and you could make 1 hit per second your dps would be 1000.

Slower weapon might mean you could make only 1 hit every 2 seconds, so your dps would be 500. Super fast with 2 hits per second and your dps would be 2000.

Damage is a multiplier and determines how much damage your skills (and presumably your base attack?) do on each hit.

You can test it with pets that add damage - look at the damage range for your skills and see how they change when you add a +damage pet.

Ranged weapons ages ago used to have higher damage vs melee weapons which had higher dps.

Now melee weapons have higher everything which I find sad as preferring a ranged gameplay is in most instances the inferior choice

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slaaayerrr View Post
    here's about why bow/gun with lower dps/dmg still deal more damage by autoattacks than daggers/staffs https://www.spacetimestudios.com/sho...f-the-Cryostar
    Thanks for the share, this thread should be a sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmony View Post
    Dps (damage per second) is how much damage you can do per second with your base attack.

If your base attack did on average 1000dmg per hit, and you could make 1 hit per second your dps would be 1000.

Slower weapon might mean you could make only 1 hit every 2 seconds, so your dps would be 500. Super fast with 2 hits per second and your dps would be 2000.

Damage is a multiplier and determines how much damage your skills (and presumably your base attack?) do on each hit.

You can test it with pets that add damage - look at the damage range for your skills and see how they change when you add a +damage pet.

Ranged weapons ages ago used to have higher damage vs melee weapons which had higher dps.

Now melee weapons have higher everything which I find sad as preferring a ranged gameplay is in most instances the inferior choice

Yes I have been reading all the threads related to this, and came across this: https://www.spacetimestudios.com/sho...taff%2C+dmg%2C. It is similar to what you said, but it has some numbers by Kaziscate and Psychonuke.

Though I am still a bit skeptical about the 2x base damage for reduced skill damage trade off. Is 2x auto attack damage worth 100-150 raw damage? With the level 76 arcane weapons the range to armor trade off also went down.
    As per the dev the changes were made in past because daggers were not able to compete with bows, but now it looks like the opposite. Its worse when you compare the damage power in terms of procs.

I think devs should look into it, balance it, because right now it looks like they are forcing the aegis/dags/staff play-style. If so, why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts

Thanks for the share, this thread should be a sticky.

Yes I have been reading all the threads related to this, and came across this: https://www.spacetimestudios.com/sho...taff%2C+dmg%2C. It is similar to what you said, but it has some numbers by Kaziscate and Psychonuke.

Though I am still a bit skeptical about the 2x base damage for reduced skill damage trade off. Is 2x auto attack damage worth 100-150 raw damage? With the level 76 arcane weapons the range to armor trade off also went down.
    As per the dev the changes were made in past because daggers were not able to compete with bows, but now it looks like the opposite. Its worse when you compare the damage power in terms of procs.

I think devs should look into it, balance it, because right now it looks like they are forcing the aegis/dags/staff play-style. If so, why?
    So from that it looks like "basic attack" strength is actually based on the weapon.

If that's true, weapon descriptions in game could be clearer!! How is this "weapon base attack dmg" value reflected in stats? Even if bows still have 200% higher bade attack, how would players know this was the case o.o (if it's supposed to be reflected through the dps it's deffo not the case)

I don't hugely like player generated numbers as they're just based off player tests and very rough averages. This could use some dev clarification as to whether these "fixes" still apply and how we can know this when comparing weapons >.<

Deffo agree that the balance has tipped the other way towards melee though to my despair T_T

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmony View Post
    Deffo agree that the balance has tipped the other way towards melee though to my despair T_T

Well, be ready for silence or a comment saying "This is intentional." followed by a Closed thread.

~Surprise me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts

Why not just keep dmg stat instead of both dmg and dps?
    Short answer 1 is power damage & 1 is weapon damage. Dps i.e. weapon damage does not equal the same across classes.

Rogue