Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Why are words "Gay" and "Homo" banned?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Default Why are words "Gay" and "Homo" banned?

No idea where to post it so I'm doing it here.

Why do we get muted for writing gay and homo?
    First of all, this isn't insult or a curse/forbidden word. It's almost 2020 and people of all kind are playing this game. Everyone should be free to express themselves, however when some people try, they get muted for being themselves? Sorry but this isn't funny.

I have full respect towards people who accept and respect it and those who doesn't. It's fully your choice. Maybe even some game developers are against it? No problem, your choice. But please respect the people and the fact that LGBT people actually exist.

I really hope that these words are going to be taken down from "muted" list soon.

Thank you.

Edit:

Hey, thanks to all close minded people who actually threw this thread down with all the drama and disrespectful BS. I'd love to lock or delete it.
    Last edited by FeelingLazy; 12-21-2019 at 06:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FeelingLazy View Post
    No idea where to post it so I'm doing it here.

Why do we get muted for writing gay and homo?
    First of all, this isn't insult or a curse/forbidden word. It's almost 2020 and people of all kind are playing this game. Everyone should be free to express themselves, however when some people try, they get muted for being themselves? Sorry but this isn't funny.

I have full respect towards people who accept and respect it and those who doesn't. It's fully your choice. Maybe even some game developers are against it? No problem, your choice. But please respect the people and the fact that LGBT people actually exist.

I really hope that these words are going to be taken down from "muted" list soon.

Thank you.
    Its not because of homophobia, its because a vast majority of the people playing this game like to use "Gay" and "Homo" as an insult, its not because everyone is homophobic or against gay people.
    Personally i hate when people reach towards people being homophobic without actually looking into what might be the actual reason.
    Anyways, im getting sidetracked.

Long story short, its done to prevent people from using it as an insult wether you like it or not.
    Arcane legends is a game with many underage and young players who shouldnt be exposed to such language in my opinion.
    You not being able to say "gay" or "homo" in a normal sentence for me personally doesnt do much, on the contrary this saves alot of people from being insulted directly or teaching the younger generation words they shouldnt familiarize with, wether they would hear it here or someone else.

Using 2020 as an argument to say gay and homosexuals are accepted is not really relevant to this.
    We dont need to PROVE to you we accept homosexuals, if we choose to ofcourse we can, but we arent obliged to showing you were not against gays by changing a fundamental rule in the game.

Just my 2 cents

Edit: feel free to @ me i wouldnt mind debating with you, as long we keep it formal and civil

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spooked For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spooked View Post
    Its not because of homophobia, its because a vast majority of the people playing this game like to use "Gay" and "Homo" as an insult, its not because everyone is homophobic or against gay people.
    Personally i hate when people reach towards people being homophobic without actually looking into what might be the actual reason.

Long story short, its done to prevent people from using it as an insult wether you like it or not.
    Arcane legends is a game with many underage and young players who shouldnt be exposed to such language in my opinion.
    You not being able to say "gay" or "homo" in a normal sentence for me personally doesnt do much, on the contrary this saves alot of people from being insulted directly or teaching the younger generation words they shouldnt familiarize with, wether they would hear it here or someone else.

Using 2020 as an argument to say gay and homosexuals are accepted is not really relevant to this.
    We dont need to PROVE to you we accept homosexuals, if we choose to ofcourse we can, but we arent obliged to showing you were not against gays by changing a fundamental rule in the game.

Just my 2 cents
    That's where you are wrong, this word is misunderstood and took as an insult when it isn't a curse or insult word at all but normal word like woman, men, bike.

For you personally it doesn't but for a lot people it is problem getting muted every so often when they want to talk about their life etc..

"Underaged" players should learn that it's normal word, in most parts of the world it's a common. No idea what does you mean with "such language". It really is not an insult.

I'm not using 2020 as an argument, it's to show people that we're that far and it is still problem on some levels.

As I said, I don't need anyone to prove. I don't care whenever you or anyone else accepts it or not. I just want it to be respected as normal word because it is normal word and it should not be in ssme category as curse words.

Edit: I didn't came to debate. I came to speak for the people.
    Last edited by FeelingLazy; 12-18-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Just my 2 cents

Edit: feel free to @ me i wouldnt mind debating with you, as long we keep it formal and civil

I have the same opinion about it.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts

hahahahahaha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    520 Posts

I got muted for telling my friend an anecdote about a celebrity whose first name happens to be Gay.
    Yes, it is a first name and also means happy.
    Got muted for trying to recite a poem.."The owl and the Pussycat". A completely innocent poem. 😑

inmortal demon grotto, chilling with the dark crow
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

i can already see that word being unbanned and becoming the most used word of 2019

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiasaria For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    520 Posts

Well we all know people can get round using banned words just by changing or adding a letter.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Susanne For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts

Why do people care about a single word that cant be used in a game. But I agree to opinions above: Id rather describe gay with "being into men" for the few times I actually use it in a video game than seeing 13y olds spamming gay and homo into pvp maps once they see its unbanned.
    This is a good topic for the forums to use as a drama thread and endless responds and I wonder why it took so long till somebody brought it up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to QuaseT For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by QuaseT View Post
    Why do people care about a single word that cant be used in a game. But I agree to opinions above: Id rather describe gay with "being into men" for the few times I actually use it in a video game than seeing 13y olds spamming gay and homo into pvp maps once they see its unbanned.
    This is a good topic for the forums to use as a drama thread and endless responds and I wonder why it took so long till somebody brought it up.
    Didn't brought it for drama, I just want it to be equal. Thanks for the opinion though.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FeelingLazy For This Useful Post:

inmortal demon grotto, chilling with the dark crow
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

they use to ''insult'' but is actually just memeing, kissing just your homies goodnight isnt gay etc, besides kids people dont really mean to offend you by calling you gay :v

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiasaria For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

I am sure all those 13 yr old kids getting married on AL also know about homosexuality. The problem with the words “gay” and “homo” is that the ones mostly using it, use them to trash others, not to have nice discussions about sexuality or marriage or equal rights etc.

Even though that is the reason STS doesn’t allow them to be used, many innocent words get censored too, as some people have already commented. Chat filter is totally useless anyway. If people want to curse, they can bypass it quite easily so I find it rather pointless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    302 Posts

Replacing the 5min ban with (***) and (****) is a good way, and would only read the message with the message filter disabled

Name:  chattt (2).png
Views: 561
Size:  7.1 KB

Arcane Legends Since 2012

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GucciBang For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FeelingLazy View Post
    That's where you are wrong, this word is misunderstood and took as an insult when it isn't a curse or insult word at all but normal word like woman, men, bike.

For you personally it doesn't but for a lot people it is problem getting muted every so often when they want to talk about their life etc..

"Underaged" players should learn that it's normal word, in most parts of the world it's a common. No idea what does you mean with "such language". It really is not an insult.

I'm not using 2020 as an argument, it's to show people that we're that far and it is still problem on some levels.

As I said, I don't need anyone to prove. I don't care whenever you or anyone else accepts it or not. I just want it to be respected as normal word because it is normal word and it should not be in ssme category as curse words.

Edit: I didn't came to debate. I came to speak for the people.
    Saying the word is often misunderstood and taken as a insult is a weak comeback in my eyes, never have i ever came across someone who couldnt distinguish such an obvious matter.
    Everyone can know the difference between using gay as an insult or not.

Im not saying people shouldnt use or learn the word, im explicitely talking about the one meant to insult others.
    People in this game will use those words more as an insult rather than using it in a proper sentence.
    If u would balance the pros and cons the cons would come out on top.

That was my point, you want it to be respected yet it already is respected by those who choose to.
    In my eyes youre rather looking for validation which is totally uncalled for because, you my friend, can be and believe whatever you want.
    You definetely shouldnt let anyone stop you.
    But to then go ahead and say it should b changed in order to respect it, is quite equal to "if u dont change it ur a homophobe"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Saying the word is often misunderstood and taken as a insult is a weak comeback in my eyes, never have i ever came across someone who couldnt distinguish such an obvious matter.
    Everyone can know the difference between using gay as an insult or not.

Im not saying people shouldnt use or learn the word, im explicitely talking about the one meant to insult others.
    People in this game will use those words more as an insult rather than using it in a proper sentence.
    If u would balance the pros and cons the cons would come out on top.

That was my point, you want it to be respected yet it already is respected by those who choose to.
    In my eyes youre rather looking for validation which is totally uncalled for because, you my friend, can be and believe whatever you want.
    You definetely shouldnt let anyone stop you.
    But to then go ahead and say it should b changed in order to respect it, is quite equal to "if u dont change it ur a homophobe"
    There was no need to comeback as I stated my point already. I do not need validation nor I will be upset if the word stays banned. But you can easily compare it to calling someone black or white or yellow depending on where they are from. Should we ban these too? That's just ridiculous.
    Not sure how people would feel offended by getting called "gay". I doubt that adults would. This isn't even an insult word. You people did think of it like that and that's why there's no change.

You should see it from different perspective. Too bad people in Arcane Legends aren't as open minded as I thought they are.

If the "drama" keeps going on, I'll just ask moderators to delete this thread.

I just wanted equality.

Also, I'm amazed that such statements are coming from someone who is (High possibly) from Belgium or Netherlands where being gay is more than normal. But that's just a side note. Thought that at least you would understand
    Last edited by FeelingLazy; 12-18-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Those words are directed as insults 99% of the time in the gaming community. It's a misuse of terminology rather than not respecting the existence of the LGBTQ people. You respect them, I respect them, there will be others who respect them, but the majority using it as a slur will probably keep them as banned words bud.

I'll share something here. You know I have some people in my friend list..Whenever they meet each other they will go off on the tangent that 'Hey gae' 'you're gae', say gae a thousand times again to continue insulting each other that after a point of time it numbs my brain. Random players have attempted to insult me by calling me gay just because of the fact that I being a rogue am married to another rogue in game. So ya know... It's because of people like that you face measures like this, and I like Gucci's idea of adding the words to filtered chat. Not like getting muted stops people from using the words with altered spellings

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bundlos View Post
    Those words are directed as insults 99% of the time in the gaming community. It's a misuse of terminology rather than not respecting the existence of the LGBTQ people. You respect them, I respect them, there will be others who respect them, but the majority using it as a slur will probably keep them as banned words bud.

I'll share something here. You know I have some people in my friend list..Whenever they meet each other they will go off on the tangent that 'Hey gae' 'you're gae', say gae a thousand times again to continue insulting each other that after a point of time it numbs my brain. Random players have attempted to insult me by calling me gay just because of the fact that I being a rogue am married to another rogue in game. So ya know... It's because of people like that you face measures like this, and I like Gucci's idea of adding the words to filtered chat. Not like getting muted stops people from using the words with altered spellings
    Totally understand it. And yeah I love the idea too!

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

-1 even if its almost 2020 it's still used as insult

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,062 Posts

I don't get why people are against others for what they believe in, just a dumb thing to be against. Its like being mad at a wall because its made of bricks.
    In video games its usually not about being against the stuff, its just using random words to insult each other just because its the first word to come to their head.
    Everyone needs the mind set "If it does not effect me then I do not mess with it."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

Also there is/was (idk have not played in a while) a guild named "Porn" and the members were recently "unbanned" so maybe if STS is reading this thread they could throw some light on this??