Thread: how can ppl get scamed

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default how can ppl get scamed

i dont get how ppl get scamed its common sense i know some ppl trust but come on man

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Greed and laziness.
    Zheobird Level 71 Full Dex
    Zheomage Level 71 Full Int
    ZheobearLevel 71 Dual Dex

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

to simple words lol so true

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Default Many reasons

Ever had a party and afterwards noticed something missing? Or lend something to a "friend" and never get it back?

We are encouraged to be helpful and friendly in game. Unfortunately, some peoples goal in life is to exploit a persons kindness.

I suppose some incidents can be chalked up to greed when someone gets scammed. But it takes a special kind of person to exploit a persons kindness when someone is trying to be helpful.

Scam me once shame on you, scam me twice shame on me. each week i'm dodging (potential) scams, i'm not willing to follow through to find out if it was anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KillaSkillz View Post
    Ever had a party and afterwards noticed something missing? Or lend something to a "friend" and never get it back?

We are encouraged to be helpful and friendly in game. Unfortunately, some peoples goal in life is to exploit a persons kindness.

I suppose some incidents can be chalked up to greed when someone gets scammed. But it takes a special kind of person to exploit a persons kindness when someone is trying to be helpful.

Scam me once shame on you, scam me twice shame on me. each week i'm dodging (potential) scams, i'm not willing to follow through to find out if it was anymore.
    I've been in the same boat, someone asked why I wasn't wearing any gear (36 Cap), I told them the real reason, I was borrowing my custom set to a friend. They were like okay, a few secs later I get "Can I try out your gun for PvP" (Nova) I debated as I knew of them in PL, so I agreed (maybe I shouldn't have) they say "thanks so much promise I wont take it", so I say "test it out and bring it back" next moment they go offline, then a few hours after I see them in B* waving my gun around, click on them and realize they de-friended me. I asked "how is the pvp going?" with no response (even tho they were moving abt shooting my Nova) and then suddenly back offline. Little did they fully understand who I was, or more importantly who I knew. Spoke to their GM (I knew most of the guild) and one of the guild members finally got it back for me after a week. The member that helped me explained that the person in question that took it was like "I don't want to get ban, I didn't realize it was a scam".

Since then I have had multiple requests but im not willing to go down that route again. It was my error for trusting in another player, but as far as gear etc goes no one except myself will be wearing/using it from now on except very and i mean very close friends.

Easy to fall for, especially when trying to help out or a good deed etc.

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster View Post
    I've been in the same boat, someone asked why I wasn't wearing any gear (36 Cap), I told them the real reason, I was borrowing my custom set to a friend. They were like okay, a few secs later I get "Can I try out your gun for PvP" (Nova) I debated as I knew of them in PL, so I agreed (maybe I shouldn't have) they say "thanks so much promise I wont take it", so I say "test it out and bring it back" next moment they go offline, then a few hours after I see them in B* waving my gun around, click on them and realize they de-friended me. I asked "how is the pvp going?" with no response (even tho they were moving abt shooting my Nova) and then suddenly back offline. Little did they fully understand who I was, or more importantly who I knew. Spoke to their GM (I knew most of the guild) and one of the guild members finally got it back for me after a week. The member that helped me explained that the person in question that took it was like "I don't want to get ban, I didn't realize it was a scam".

Since then I have had multiple requests but im not willing to go down that route again. It was my error for trusting in another player, but as far as gear etc goes no one except myself will be wearing/using it from now on except very and i mean very close friends.

Easy to fall for, especially when trying to help out or a good deed etc.
    Similar story of how i lost my first x-rayz.. Just lend 'em 'for two days' to a really good guy. I mean really good - as on forums, so in game. He is well known, helpful and polite and everything..

But he appeared to be a scum.. Told me some story of selling them bla-bla-bla

Now i don't give any stuff to anyone asking.. Just for guild members (who r in guild for some time and with whom i do runs) and i do this myself, not because they asked

I prefer not to lose trust in humanity any more)) so watch out and take care people!
    click my sig to join

Got a SCAMMER to REPORT? DO it HERE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

All depends on the scam, and how 'good' that person is at convincing people with their little lie.

You have people inrl being scammed, so not that hard to see that it wouldn't happen in a game.

Good thing there is report/ignore
    http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/javier995/132ba71b.jpg
    When the sky falls, when it crumbles,
    we will stand tall, and face it all together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Bodmasta can I borrow your Nova Gun, I promise I'll give it back.

Rodvik - 40 Engineer - Guy on the Couch in Infinite Union
    Fouroneone - Pay It Forward

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flashbackflip View Post
    Similar story of how i lost my first x-rayz.. Just lend 'em 'for two days' to a really good guy. I mean really good - as on forums, so in game. He is well known, helpful and polite and everything..

But he appeared to be a scum.. Told me some story of selling them bla-bla-bla

Now i don't give any stuff to anyone asking.. Just for guild members (who r in guild for some time and with whom i do runs) and i do this myself, not because they asked

I prefer not to lose trust in humanity any more)) so watch out and take care people!
    Who was it? Want me to go ruff them up? (jking about telling me who, not the ruffing up part )

Seriously that sux buddy, I made sure to get a screenie of the convo leading up to it to fall back onto if needed, me doing that must of been my consciouns telling me otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by javier995 View Post
    Good thing there is report/ignore
    But that wont get an honest players X-ray back like FlashBackFlip. An X-ray is a make or break item, id be tempted to naming and shaming the so called "polite and helpful" member.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodvik View Post
    Bodmasta can I borrow your Nova Gun, I promise I'll give it back.
    Unfortunately Rodders you do not match the criteria,

but as far as gear etc goes no one except myself will be wearing/using it from now on except very and i mean very close friends.
    Last edited by BodMaster; 01-07-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

scamming = no fun to me
    my best friend left game after he got scammed a long ago.Trusting someone is one thing but bieng lazy diffrent, i remember i traded comedy for 108k, though i dint realised i put 10800 instead of 108000 and he accepted.Then i realised i have some money left with me which was not supposed to be,and imediatly traded rest of the credits.Scamming is not smartness but against the quality of a gamer coz a gamer knows he do not have to scam someone to achieve something.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Defyduck For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Hello defy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

OMG I don't fit the criteria as very close friend! I am so not coming over anymore and playing old school paper and pencil Dungeon's & Dragons with you anymore!

Rodvik - 40 Engineer - Guy on the Couch in Infinite Union
    Fouroneone - Pay It Forward

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rodvik View Post
    OMG I don't fit the criteria as very close friend! I am so not coming over anymore and playing old school paper and pencil Dungeon's & Dragons with you anymore!
    Hahaa DnD FTW! (Still have like 8-10 different dice for that ha)

What can I say.. we fell apart... been too long.. :'(

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

can i bite ur taco ill give it back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Defyduck View Post
    Scamming is not smartness but against the quality of a gamer coz a gamer knows he do not have to scam someone to achieve something.
    Good words indeed

Tru kru respektah

click my sig to join

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Defyduck:533289
    i remember i traded comedy for 108k, though i dint realised i put 10800 instead of 108000 and he accepted.Then i realised i have some money left with me which was not supposed to be,and imediatly traded rest of the credits.

It was me!

Never trade while your half asleep lol.
    http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/javier995/132ba71b.jpg
    When the sky falls, when it crumbles,
    we will stand tall, and face it all together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster View Post
    But that wont get an honest players X-ray back like FlashBackFlip. An X-ray is a make or break item, id be tempted to naming and shaming the so called "polite and helpful" member.
    As Javier said it depends on how good is this person with convincing skills. That one was really ashamed, though after some research i doubt it now... he made a promise so i didn't give out his name to his GM (again i'm doubtfull it was a good decision, but he has my word now)

But anyway - as my mom used to say - all hidden deeds will become clear sooner or later anyway))

Also, most importantly - it's a personal choice - to scam or not. And if this choice is stable and becomes habitual - such person will suffer consequances in real life later, which is really sad

So maybe it's a good chance to follow temptation here, get a hard lesson learned and remember it.. Especially, assuming lots of players are kids.. Personally, i'd advise to report such cases openly to GMs to teach this lesson and will do so if it ever happens to me again without taking any 'sorries'
    click my sig to join