Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Patch Coming This Week and Changes to Mount Fang Boss Gauntlet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Snake, I have not tried that because I avoid eating dairy. But good point. LOL!
    Luchta LvL 65 Archer • Phone: HTC Nexus One w/ Stock Gingerbread
    Pinoy Pocket Legends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Looking forward to that 1 vs 1 map
    umm.. 1v1?? It'll be cool to have another map but.... Taking time to make it is useless. That's why their are locks for other maps. I see no point to making 1v1.
    Last edited by Jugernugett; 01-09-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    Jugernuget (66) Proud Member of Hella Good
    <a href=http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=63456&dateline=1329747605 target=_blank>http://www.spacetimestudios.com/imag...ine=1329747605</a>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    139 Posts

Tuesday? *goes to cry in a corner*

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

*joins nick in corner and cries to*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jugernuget wants back View Post
    umm.. 1v1?? It'll be cool to have another map but.... Taking time to make it is useless. That's why their are locks for other maps. I see no point to making 1v1.
    If they implement it as has been suggested (immediate respawn and full health/mana after each kill), I definitely see a LOT of use for it. No more waiting endlessly (low level PvP) until your health and/or mana is regenerated.. Doesn't that sound like a win to you?

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    In general this concept eludes me... If I used to have to pay for extra cheese at Subway and beginning today the extra cheese is free, can I really ask Subway to refund all my previous extra cheese purchases? I think they would laugh at me.
    But what if they came up to your table after you bought a sub and told you there was now going to be a per bite charge to eat it?

Any way, to the people trying to compare this move to zynga or wow or xbox live, well none of them have a pay each use model. If you want something to compare, you need to go back about ten years, because STS is trying to turn your device into a coin arcade.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Whats a coin arcade? Sounds so prmitive. Lol jk those words will be said in 10 years when they have cyber technology! Maybe compare it to food (second best subject in the world) its per can of coke like say a buck. But you could just stay home and drink water right? Thats more accurate than the pay per bite thing i think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Fluff, your take on my question misses the point. Nobody in Subway is going to walk up to me and make me pay-per-bite. I'm talking about EXTRA cheese. Starbucks charges for an extra shot. If they decided that three shots is now standard, you seriously can not expect them to reimburse you for all the add shots you paid for.

My device already IS a coin-op machine, practically. That's how Steve Jobs made it. I can get music, videos, and games for money on my device. I pay to use it. If I want more data, I pay for that, too. If I didn't have the unlimited text option it would cost the equivalent of 1 plat per text message, even.

STS made PL for profit. It was free but we paid for higher levels. Then we paid for bonus areas. Then we paid for hats. Some people said they'd never buy a hat. Now everyone has hats. You were there, and you know what I mean. What fool would turn this down? If they'll pay for hats, make more. If they'll pay for vanities, make more vanities. Then they had the Cinco Loco event and all elixirs went plat but the main spine went free. Someone asked, what is the best way to get the most money yet increase the player base? That was the answer and it worked. More people played AND more people spent plat! Well, you'd have to be a died-in-the-wool commie like me not to milk that for all it's worth.

But you can't milk a dead cow, so I am sure the main spine will always be free. (Unless they change their paradigm completely.)

And as for pay-to-play in boss brawls, well... I am still hoping that leads to the boss brawls getting deleted to make room for better content.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snakespeare For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff:535466
    But what if they came up to your table after you bought a sub and told you there was now going to be a per bite charge to eat it?

Any way, to the people trying to compare this move to zynga or wow or xbox live, well none of them have a pay each use model. If you want something to compare, you need to go back about ten years, because STS is trying to turn your device into a coin arcade.
    There is no subscription plan to eat at Subway. Subway sells sandwhiches one sandwhich at a time. This is a business model that has been used for centuries and will continue to be used.

We buy one sandwhich at a time. Likewise, we now get to buy one OPTIONAL boss gauntlet in hopes to get a better chance at pinks.

If someone wanted to get ridic and suggest that this is like Subway selling one bite at a time. The equal analogy to that would be a video game suggesting a charge per every minion/trash mob killed.

There are 20 minions to a boss like 20 bites to a sandwhich.

But, there is no subscription to Subway saying that you can go there as many times as you want for one flat fee. It doesn't work that way. Why? Because it wouldn't work that way.

Zynga made $829 million dollars in nine months in 2010. ALMOST ALL OF IT was from in-app purchases.
    This is why virutually the whole video game industry is moving to free-to-play.

Zynga's FarmVille, millions are buying crops, seed, farming equipment, repairs, fertilizers, etc. Zinga's CityVille has tons of things to buy for a player's city.

WoW is now a free-to-play/pay-to-play hybrid. Most analysts believe they are going to vastly expand their free-to-play options. WoW has in-game purchases and apparently real money trading.

And the only comparison to x-box that I was making was to say that the console market is hurting and hurting bad. Because most gamers just flat out don't want to pay a subscription for anything.

As far as the coin-op things goes. It's hysterical that you brought it up. Cause actually, that is exactly the buzz going around the industry. Developers realize that we all got a lot to learn from coin-op.

The only reason why more people aren't playing pinball machines is:

The future is:

Free-to-play
    Digital
    Social (e.g. Facebook)
    Cloud (thin-client)
    "How Wude! Mesa your humble Servant."
    "You can argue with me, but you can't aruge with the math." Foghorn Leghorn, 20th Century American Philospher

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drewcapu:535277
    How many of their games can you actually chat with someone

For me, chatting is a big part of gaming. It's what keeps me coming back.
    Drewcapu, I'm really, really not trying to say that Zynga's games are great. I'm just using Zynga as an example of how and why the industry is moving in the direction they are.

I was schooled as a youngin not to bash other people's game choices. Just cause I play Game A, doesn't mean there is anything "wrong" with Games B - Z.

So, I am not saying there is anything wrong with their games, but as far as I can tell, they wouldn't exactly interest me a lot.

The gaming industry is moving at rocket speed towards free-to-play because it's hard to argue with:

Just Zynga:

$820 million dollars in nine months

60 million players a day, EVERYDAY

416 million interactions 'tween those players EVERYDAY.

Other Game:

6% increase in the user base EVERYDAY

85% of logins = returning players EVERYDAY

700% increase in daily revenues EVERYDAY
    Last edited by Aikiebo; 01-09-2012 at 07:51 PM.
    "You can argue with me, but you can't aruge with the math." Foghorn Leghorn, 20th Century American Philospher

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

@ Aikiebo: What's your take on this http://www.onlive.com/ ?

Also: The gaming industry is constantly reinventing itself. Zynga was a pioneer (not the first but the first truly successful) in it's genre. No.2 never gets the prize. The key is to find the next big thing not to be a happy 2nd.
    Last edited by StompArtist; 01-09-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

In still on the fence with this one. Either way PL will still be my favorite game

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

I don't bash Zynga (much). I know a couple people who work for Zynga, one of whom I actually encouraged to do so while Zynga was still "young".

STS is already on the right track as they are doing something even Zynga doesn't do which is mass appeal on multiple platforms on a standalone basis (ie, not riding on the coattails of facebook). And now with PL/SL on Chrome, they've shown they can get their games to work beautifully on browsers.

All I'm saying is that:
    A) Zynga apps aren't truly very social anymore. It's glorified spamming. Even spammers bow down to Zynga
    B) If STS finds a way to integrate into facebook, watch out (and I mean Zynga watch out).

Facebook is the obvious next step for STS (even getting 10 friends to "help" on daily quests for gold/credits shouldn't be that complicated for STS devs). But it has its definite dangers. If they decide to go that route, they'd have to defend against a lot of people who come up with exploits and hacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to drewcapu For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

I thought we were going to get it today... Eh o well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drewcapu View Post
    I don't bash Zynga (much). I know a couple people who work for Zynga, one of whom I actually encouraged to do so while Zynga was still "young".

STS is already on the right track as they are doing something even Zynga doesn't do which is mass appeal on multiple platforms on a standalone basis (ie, not riding on the coattails of facebook). And now with PL/SL on Chrome, they've shown they can get their games to work beautifully on browsers.

All I'm saying is that:
    A) Zynga apps aren't truly very social anymore. It's glorified spamming. Even spammers bow down to Zynga
    B) If STS finds a way to integrate into facebook, watch out (and I mean Zynga watch out).

Facebook is the obvious next step for STS (even getting 10 friends to "help" on daily quests for gold/credits shouldn't be that complicated for STS devs). But it has its definite dangers. If they decide to go that route, they'd have to defend against a lot of people who come up with exploits and hacks.
    Sorry for double post, and this might seem selfish, but I'm not sure I would want all of Facebook on pl im not sure that would be good for community... Eh it probably won't happen (at least for a while) anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

[QUOTE=Samhayne] We are human afterall.[/QUOTE
    :O

AL: Horror- rogue
    Myth- warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist:535540
    @ Aikiebo: What's your take on this http://www.onlive.com/ ?

Also: The gaming industry is constantly reinventing itself.

The key is to find the next big thing not to be a happy 2nd.
    Omg! You are so right. The key is finding the next big thing:

Next big thing = free-to-play.

Next big thing = mobile

Next big thing = cloud/thin client (e.g onlive/gaikai/valve's steam)

Next big thing = social (e.g. Facebook)

Yes, it is reinventing itself right now. That is why consoles are taking a hit. As I have said, a gazillion times is in this thread and other threads, yes, the gaming industry is in upheaval and is changing almost COMPLETELY to the four things above.

I am writing more about this stuff as I can.
    Last edited by Aikiebo; 01-10-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drewcapu:535573
    All I'm saying is that:

Drewcapu, hmm... Drewcapu. You are missing my point. You are saying that Zynga's game are not "truely social" that they are glorified spam.

I am saying, that that, has nothing to do with my point about Zynga.

In a way, I don't care if their games are truely social or not. I am only using Zynga as one of many examples of:

;;;; drum roll ;;;;

;;;; cymbols slam together ;;;;

;;;; gong bangs;;;;

;;;; birds stop singing ;;;;

;;;; fish stop swimming ;;;;

The main, most important reason why virtually the entire gaming industry is changing to FREE-2-PLAY.

Zynga is just one of dozens examples of why virtualy the entire gaming industry is changing to FREE-2-PLAY.

I am bringing this stuff up so that people can see why STS is doing the things that they do.

I don't have a lot of interest in Zynga. I am not saying they are good or bad. I am saying, that they know why FREE-2-PLAY is basically the only way to go for almost every game.

You say, they aren't very social. That it's all basically a bunch of spam, is that what you mean? (If not, I apologize)

I don't know about that.

60 million people are playing Zynga games every day.
    They are interacting with each other 416 million times every day.

What on earth makes you think that you know what these 60 million people are doing?

60 million people are having a lot of fun 416 million times a day. Something got to be good somewhere!

The stuff about Zynga in my first two posts in this thread comes from the big wigs, the brainiacs, the major players of the financial world. I didn't make it up.

So, maybe you're right, maybe not. Maybe these 416 MILLION interactions EVERYDAY is nothing more than spam. Not too many others seems to think so. But, hey, maybe so.

But, it has nothing to do with what I am talking about. It is a separate subject. Completely irrelevant to what I am saying.

I am just saying, Zynga is one of MANY examples of why free-2-play is:

;;;; drum roll ;;;;

;;;; cymbols slam together ;;;;

;;;; gong bangs ;;;;

;;;; birds stop singing ;;;;

;;;; fish stop swimming ;;;;

The next BIG THING!!!!!
    Last edited by Aikiebo; 01-09-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The next big thing would probably be PL and SL in one game. I mean seriously, that's how it's going to be. All these free stuff and paid for stuff will be in that one game and we're all going to chant our own mantras while we wait for pink loots.
    Luchta LvL 65 Archer • Phone: HTC Nexus One w/ Stock Gingerbread
    Pinoy Pocket Legends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Your fb games and all that might be a big hit but you looking at the wrong age group id never give my son a credit card for that junk we were all lured into pl and sl and as they progressed more content became free and more people came and they progressed further no they have lots of people and are starting to nickle and dime people making it really annoying yes u say free to play but what's the point if u don't accomplish anything without having to buy plat you lvl at a crawl you can't make any money cause junking items doesn't add up at all and all the plat players will have already flooded the market with pinks so there foes making money to afford a recipe to get custom gear you'd get booted from games for having low gear or low lvl cause your still trying to lvl to where you can get the decent gear normal runs in general will go down cause plat users will elixer to cap then move to pay per play your farming time will be cut cause you wont have to do as many runs anymore either so that's less time you have to play then you just sit there capped and fully geared with nothing more to do I do think that plat gear should be separate from main spine gear why not just use the plat gear for the pay to play instances that way u have something extra to go after your already have an edge using plat to get pinks if you get the pinks faster how much longer after that are u gonna play I mean most of y'all cap out on gear and lvl then start complaining about when will new lvls come out how about giving them pay to play quests and expand the story line a bit im pretty sure most of y'all know nothing about the story line