Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Patch Coming This Week and Changes to Mount Fang Boss Gauntlet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Any clue what time this thing is expected today?
    Sometimes I can't stop the shaking, but at least I know I'm not dead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aikiebo View Post
    Omg! You are so right. The key is finding the next big thing:

Next big thing = free-to-play.

Next big thing = mobile

Next big thing = cloud/thin client (e.g onlive/gaikai/valve's steam)

Next big thing = social (e.g. Facebook)

Yes, it is reinventing itself right now. That is why consoles are taking a hit. As I have said, a gazillion times is in this thread and other threads, yes, the gaming industry is in upheaval and is changing almost COMPLETELY to the four things above.

I am writing more about this stuff as I can.

I do believe that in your apparent eagerness you are failing to see the following points:

- None of these are the "next big thing", they are all existing and successful models.
    - Zynga and social "app" companies are tapping into a previously unexploited user base with games that are usable by anyone on extremely low end devices and strive to attract an older age group which was previously almost absent from the gaming scene. Everyone, even my mum plays or has at least checked out Farmville. Not everyone plays and even considers checking out Mass Effect on the Xbox. Entirely different business model targeted at entirely different groups.
    - Consoles sales are going down simply because the market is saturated and the fact that no new console has been released in almost 10 years.

What's the next big thing? If I had to put my money on something it would be TVs with Onlive and Netflix capabilities built in, but again that's still not the "next big thing". The next big thing will have to entirely bridge the gaps between simple low end everyone can use it type applications (which Zynga currently dominates) and high end PC gaming applications which are currently limited by hardware growth and processor speeds.

I say holograms... But hey, what do I know?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roufus:535903
    but what's the point if u don't accomplish anything without having to buy plat you lvl at a crawl
    It is so funny, but just a few short months ago (a few people still think this way), the majority of the players on this forum would go on endlessly, waxing poetic about how using elixrs 'ruin the experience', 'take your time', 'take it nice and slow', 'got to go slow, real slow, otherwise you're not smart enough to learn your class', 'the game was meant to be played slowly', 'you should play the game the way it was meant to be played'.

OMG, lol lol lol, none of those things are even accurate. But, people went on and on and on for months constantly hating on elixrs, hating on all kinds of stuff. Years and years ago, people used to call people who played games this way - the 'slowbies'. I used to hate that, cuz it was being used as a high insult. There is no reaason to resort to insults. Frankly, if someone wants to take forever to level, or if it takes them longer than other players to learn how to play, there is no reason to ridicule them.

Then last fall STS gives us a bit of time with reduced xp. Almost everyone thought it was great. Then it was announced that the xp requirements to level was gonna be permanent. OMG, one of the most exciting STS announcements ever. Almost everyone who posted loved that.

I can't believe the number of posts I have read since where people are actually critisizing STS for not telling us in advance in that the change was going to be permanent. This is one of the most ridic things I have heard. In this thread someone went so far as to suggest that STS has 'duped us', lol. NO, we have never been duped by STS.

1. They are not OBLIGATED to tell us anything.

2. But, the more open communication is the better for the players and the better for STS.

3. They probably didn't know it was going to be permanent until they ran a test to see if they players were interested and liked the idea.

4. Once, they ran the test, they saw that players loved it, then announced that it was gonna be permanent.

-------------------

This in fact disproves another farce that some players like to say, that supposedly STS doesn't listen to it's players. Obviously, they listen.

1. They came up with an idea to reduce xp requirement.

2. Instead of just instituting it before finding out if players were going to like it, they ran a test.

3. They found out that players love it.

4. They made it permanent.

If they were just using elixirs to be greedy, they wouldn't have reduced the amount of xp to level. They did this to balance out the needs of those who pay and those who don't. Once again, proving how STS thinks ALL their players are valuable.

Also, you can get to cap in about 1/10th time time for many other traditional MMOs. And, I mean w/out elixirs.

People have the nerve to call STS greedy. Saying that elixrs are just a way for STS to make money. STS reduced the xp requirements for ALL players. F2p games, like ours, really want all people to play even if some are not spending very much money.

So, we have a game that originally didn't take that long to level and then to make it even more fun for folks, they reduce the xp needed by a very large amount. You don't need to use elixrs to level to cap. NO ONE does.*** But:

1. I have said like 1,000 times, that elixrs are brilliant idea

2. Because they make the game 1,000 times more fun.

3. For 1,000's and 1,000's and 1,000's and 1,000 players.

4. This means 1000's of players are attracted to the game who wouldn't have been otherwise.

5. This means that 1,000's stick with the game who otherwise wouldn't.

Now, (and during rage fest '11) people are complaining that "it takes forever" to level without elixirs. They are trying to say that this proves that STS is being greedy. NO, duh no, no way, uh uhh, heck no! Plain flat no, NO, that is negatory in at least three languages.

No

Elixirs are brilliant because they make the game more fun. Most people don't want to take forever to level. Most people are not half brain-dead so it doesn't take forever to learn how to play. So, a person is very smart if they use elixirs. HOWEVER, if you don't want to, or if you 'can't' buy plat, you can still have a ton of fun and level faster than most games all the way to cap.

A company wants to make their product as attractive and enticing as possible. When you walk past a bakery case, you don't see a bunch of cakes with nothing but plain, white frosting. You see the cakes all decorated. They are tying to entice you to buy - not repulse you with boring.

So, one of STS's main products is elixirs. They are going to make the idea of using elixirs as attractive and enticing as possible. YOU WOULD TOO if you worked for a video game company. So, yeah, as I have said 1,000 times using elixirs is more fun, but in no way is it 'necessary' to have fun and play the entire game.

It cracks me up when I see people say they are being 'forced' to buy plat.

No

*** The one exception might be for the players who sadly only have a tiny few hours a week to play. I am sorry for those. I wish that people had more time to play. Shoot! I wish I had more time to play.

In three months, any player who has at least 10 hours a week can get thru the 5 levels then to cap with out using elixirs. Frankly, it shouldn't take most that long.

But, a game company can't say, "ok, we'll wait for those few who only got 4 hours a week". It's got to plan its game around the majority of players. I'm sorry for that, but it really can't be helped.
    Last edited by Aikiebo; 01-10-2012 at 12:50 PM.
    "How Wude! Mesa your humble Servant."
    "You can argue with me, but you can't aruge with the math." Foghorn Leghorn, 20th Century American Philospher

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roufus View Post
    Your fb games and all that might be a big hit but you looking at the wrong age group id never give my son a credit card for that junk we were all lured into pl and sl and as they progressed more content became free and more people came and they progressed further no they have lots of people and are starting to nickle and dime people making it really annoying yes u say free to play but what's the point if u don't accomplish anything without having to buy plat you lvl at a crawl you can't make any money cause junking items doesn't add up at all and all the plat players will have already flooded the market with pinks so there foes making money to afford a recipe to get custom gear you'd get booted from games for having low gear or low lvl cause your still trying to lvl to where you can get the decent gear normal runs in general will go down cause plat users will elixer to cap then move to pay per play your farming time will be cut cause you wont have to do as many runs anymore either so that's less time you have to play then you just sit there capped and fully geared with nothing more to do I do think that plat gear should be separate from main spine gear why not just use the plat gear for the pay to play instances that way u have something extra to go after your already have an edge using plat to get pinks if you get the pinks faster how much longer after that are u gonna play I mean most of y'all cap out on gear and lvl then start complaining about when will new lvls come out how about giving them pay to play quests and expand the story line a bit im pretty sure most of y'all know nothing about the story line
    That's the whole post but I will respond to specific phrases, ok?

yes u say free to play but what's the point if u don't accomplish anything without having to buy plat
    This is a classic exaggeration. There are many young players who have never bought plat who have elite items because they reached elite cap. They also spend a lot of time in PvP because they have run out of other things to do.

Here is your list of the reasons why you can't accomplish anything without plat:

you lvl at a crawl
    you can't make any money cause junking items doesn't add up at all
    all the plat players ... have already flooded the market with pinks
    you'd get booted from games for having low gear or low lvl
    They changed the xp required to about 1/2 or 1/3rd of what it used to be. Personally I am grateful for that. You get 170 or 200 gp per item in Fang just for the oranges. A flooded market means lower prices, so if it really is flooded you should be able to buy the pinks. People boot for many reasons, but if it is because of low gear, visit the CS. There's no shame in wearing greens.

Here is your list of things that could go wrong:
    normal runs in general will go down cause plat users will elixer to cap
    then move to pay per play your farming time will be cut cause you wont have to do as many runs anymore
    then you just sit there capped and fully geared with nothing more to do
    if you get the pinks faster how much longer after that are u gonna play
    most of y'all cap out on gear and lvl then start complaining about when will new lvls come out
    The problem here is, the topic. We are discussing the pay-to-play Boss Brawls idea. It doesn't really have anything to do with XP elixirs. But if your point is that those who rush to level cap will not have anything to do because they are kids and they can't afford to pay-to-play in the boss brawls, then don't worry. Those kids will just play another game.

Here are your suggestions:
    plat gear should be separate from main spine gear
    why not just use the plat gear for the pay to play instances
    how about giving them pay to play quests
    Well, plat gear is worse than the gear that drops, by design, so it won't motivate anyone to farm.

Anyhow, you had quite a few interesting points there, but I think most people enjoy it more when you use punctuation. That way they can see each idea and think about it before moving on. I, on the other hand, read poetry a lot and I'm used to this ee cummings style.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snakespeare For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

@Aikiebo

Most of what you say is, in my experience, true. Your style is entertaining, too, in small doses.

But some people WANT to play a game the hardcore way, assuaging the benefits of elixirs. Good for them! I think it's an excessive characterization to say they are "hating on" elixirs. They are simply purists. And the purists in any game have always existed. Of course the problem with purists is they frequently forget where their responsibility for themselves ends and their responsibility for others begins. It can happen that a purist lashes out at non-purists for diluting his experience, but this sort of pattern happens a lot in their lives and they eventually accept the dirty truth, that most people are not as pure as them. But I wouldn't take the whole community to task for the things a few purists have said in the heat of passion.

I think this game does benefit from the purists. They "keep us honest". While I might feel a sense of accomplishment from reaching 65, even though I used a few 4x pots, whenever a purist gets there, I have to acknowledge their accomplishment is greater than mine.

I have advocated a special insignia for the truly hardcore. I made it in suggestions a few times. I was saying that, when they get their first death, they then get to choose to play on as a regular character or delete and remake. Perhaps a similar insignia could exist for the purists. As long as they never sip a single elixir, the badge would be on their avatar page. Even the free daily would blow the insignia away forever. I'd love to see a level 66 player with this honor.

Anyhow, like I say, I mostly agree with you. Just... the purists are part of the game and I like them. I'm proud of them. Guess I went off on a tangent...

[edit] Oh! I remember my point now, LOL! They are a minority. I don't think they speak for us all.
    Last edited by Snakespeare; 01-10-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I remember when the global cool time was announced and it made everyone furious. Before the GCD, the sewers were ran in less than a couple of minutes before the XP elixirs ran out. STS, understood the need to tweak what they think would benefit the players and themselves. Some of the new players didn't even know what multi touching was all about. I just ran across a players with 3 level 66 characters.

My point being is that let's give it a try. The way I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong Sam) that these new dungeons will have slightly weaker bosses with the same loot table. It sounds no different than running a level with all players having 2x/3x combo elixirs. So in other words, there's still no guarantee that you'll get a pink each run since the loot table is the same. It's only a faster way to confront bosses like what we used to do in AO3 VL farming those void/cosmos/rift pinks. To me, it's more like buying elixirs with plat to kill bosses.
    Last edited by Luchta; 01-10-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    Luchta LvL 65 Archer • Phone: HTC Nexus One w/ Stock Gingerbread
    Pinoy Pocket Legends

The Netherlands, posted 8 hours later than forum time.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Question to samhayne: some people say lvl cap is in januari, some people say febuari. I trained 27k xp, in the privious lvl cap 21. Never have enough time for max lvl. I guess you can do nothing to this, but its a bit annoying for me because people in pvp almost always have those bonusses. Just wanted to say, maybe for next lvl cap I dont know.
    Gratz with finishing 1 v 1 map!!!
    -sebastiaanl
    SebastiaaNL 67 mage, IlikePvP 66 bird, DutchTwinkk 56 bear, NoobzGtfo 44 bird, BoomFear 35 mage, moneymakerrr 11 merchant
    Proud member of Influence!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare:536149
    @Aikiebo

1. But some people WANT to play a game the hardcore way, assuaging the benefits of elixirs. Good for them!

2. I think it's an excessive characterization to say they are "hating on" elixirs.

3. But I wouldn't take the whole community to task for the things a few purists have said in the heat of passion.

4. have to acknowledge their accomplishment is greater than mine.

5. As long as they never sip a single elixir, the badge would be on their avatar page. Even the free daily would blow the insignia away forever. I'd love to see a level 66 player with this honor.

6. Anyhow, like I say, I mostly agree with you. Just... the purists are part of the game and I like them. I'm proud of them. Guess I went off on a tangent...

7. [edit] Oh! I remember my point now, LOL! They are a minority. I don't think they speak for us all.
    Hey!

1. Yes, anyone who wants to play without elixirs should be encouraged to do so. If I was in a group and someone was booted for not using elixirs, I would leave after telling the host why I left, then I would try to find the booted player and group with them. I would encourage them to host their own games so they don't have to deal with that sort of donkey, lol. (The same holds true for the reverse situ.)

2. Now, c'mon! Lol, Not to long ago, in the Dark Ages i.e. the days before Vinny the Merchant, I was about the only one who commented more than one time about the sheer brilliance (hehe) of elixirs. For the few that agreed, they were usually shunned, lol. Well, I was too, but I persisted, lol. But, I think anyone who was around then remembers the ridic threads and comments about our poor, sweet, misunderstood and maligned little Vinny, lol. And even before Vinny, very few kinds words for elixirs and very many harsh ones, lol.

3. In the post you are quoting, I am just talking about elixirs cuz a few in this thread and during rage fest complained about how 'it takes forever to level' if you don't use elixirs. And somehow saying this suppossedly proves that STS is greedy. No.

So, I was just doing a compare and contrast kinda thing. Technically, elixirs are off topic for this thread. Other than to say stuff like, these new boss gauntlets are optional just like elixirs are, etc.

So, when I brought up the Dark Ages, I wasn't really trying to address that, the only people I was talking to (not trying to take anyone to task, just responding) were the one's complaining today about how they feel 'forced' to buy plat or 'can't have fun' if they don't. It was just a compare/contrast dealio.

4. I see what you mean, but, it's not so much greater as it is totally different. Looonnnggg time ago, in my very first conversation with Whirlzap, I said that I have huge respect for those that level up Old School, with no acceleration. That is how I did it so many times in games with way, way, way longer clilmbs than this one. However, 'greater' is in the eye of the beholder. Some people think it is 'greater' to level smart rather than slow. But, yeah, I know what you mean.

5. Until VERY recently, like the last two weeks, I would have totally agreed with you. Imo, there is no shame in using some acceleration or doing it Old School. Either way is great. And, yeah, I see how some sort of way to tell the difference would be important. And I used to advocate that totally.

But, I have learned, that in the last six months or so, gaming industry leaders and analysts have had reason to believe that would slow down sales of xp accelerators. If so, then, unfortunately, it may not be a good idea. For me, personally, I would have no problem with that at all. But, it might be a bit counter productive.

6. I agree totally. And don't worry about a tangent, not really was one.

7. Agree totally. And you are right when you say everyone is important.

@ StompArtist, I am getting to your questions as soon as I can. Sorry.
    "How Wude! Mesa your humble Servant."
    "You can argue with me, but you can't aruge with the math." Foghorn Leghorn, 20th Century American Philospher

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Dude u got some long post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

[QUOTE=zappaxe;535611]
    Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne
    We are human afterall.[/QUOTE
    :O
    Daft Punk?

IGN (Apocolypze lvl 61 Warrior)(Lvlonewarrior lvl 1 Warrior)(Twinkenstein lvl 10 Dexbear)(Cthulusleeps lvl 17 Dexbear)(Wintertide lvl 26 Mage)(Derpfest lvl 30 Dexbear)(Dodgeyfeet lvl 10 Merchant)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Can u have this argument some other time I Gots a question. What time is update xD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare:536149
    @Aikiebo

1. But some people WANT to play a game the hardcore way, assuaging the benefits of elixirs. Good for them!

2. I think it's an excessive characterization to say they are "hating on" elixirs.

3. But I wouldn't take the whole community to task for the things a few purists have said in the heat of passion.

4. have to acknowledge their accomplishment is greater than mine.

5. As long as they never sip a single elixir, the badge would be on their avatar page. Even the free daily would blow the insignia away forever. I'd love to see a level 66 player with this honor.

6. Anyhow, like I say, I mostly agree with you. Just... the purists are part of the game and I like them. I'm proud of them. Guess I went off on a tangent...

7. [edit] Oh! I remember my point now, LOL! They are a minority. I don't think they speak for us all.
    Hey!

1. Yes, anyone who wants to play without elixirs should be encouraged to do so. If I was in a group and someone was booted for not using elixirs, I would leave after telling the host why I left, then I would try to find the booted player and group with them. I would encourage them to host their own games so they don't have to deal with that sort of donkey, lol. (The same holds true for the reverse situ.)

2. Now, c'mon! Lol, Not to long ago, in the Dark Ages i.e. the days before Vinny the Merchant, I was about the only one who commented more than one time about the sheer brilliance (hehe) of elixirs. For the few that agreed, they were usually shunned, lol. Well, I was too, but I persisted, lol. But, I think anyone who was around then remembers the ridic threads and comments about our poor, sweet, misunderstood and maligned little Vinny, lol. And even before Vinny, very few kinds words for elixirs and very many harsh ones, lol.

3. In the post you are quoting, I am just talking about elixirs cuz a few in this thread and during rage fest complained about how 'it takes forever to level' if you don't use elixirs. And somehow saying this suppossedly proves that STS is greedy. No.

So, I was just doing a compare and contrast kinda thing. Technically, elixirs are off topic for this thread. Other than to say stuff like, these new boss gauntlets are optional just like elixirs are, etc.

So, when I brought up the Dark Ages, I wasn't really trying to address that, the only people I was talking to (not trying to take anyone to task, just responding) were the one's complaining today about how they feel 'forced' to buy plat or 'can't have fun' if they don't. It was just a compare/contrast dealio.

4. I see what you mean, but, it's not so much greater as it is totally different. Looonnnggg time ago, in my very first conversation with Whirlzap, I said that I have huge respect for those that level up Old School, with no acceleration. That is how I did it so many times in games with way, way, way longer clilmbs than this one. However, 'greater' is in the eye of the beholder. Some people think it is 'greater' to level smart rather than slow. But, yeah, I know what you mean.

5. Until VERY recently, like the last two weeks, I would have totally agreed with you. Imo, there is no shame in using some acceleration or doing it Old School. Either way is great. And, yeah, I see how some sort of way to tell the difference would be important. And I used to advocate that totally.

But, I have learned, that in the last six months or so, gaming industry leaders and analysts have had reason to believe that would slow down sales of xp accelerators. If so, then, unfortunately, it may not be a good idea. For me, personally, I would have no problem with that at all. But, it might be a bit counter productive.

6. I agree totally. And don't worry about a tangent, not really was one.

7. Agree totally. And you are right when you say everyone is important.

@ StompArtist, I am getting to your questions as soon as I can. Sorry.
    u expect me to read this?????
    Jugernuget (66) Proud Member of Hella Good
    <a href=http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=63456&dateline=1329747605 target=_blank>http://www.spacetimestudios.com/imag...ine=1329747605</a>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

O.O what time is the update?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Luchta View Post
    The next big thing would probably be PL and SL in one game. I mean seriously, that's how it's going to be. All these free stuff and paid for stuff will be in that one game and we're all going to chant our own mantras while we wait for pink loots.
    Not very likely. Pl and Sl are two different franchises bringing in more money for STS (which i have no problem with)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Just curious if you have a source on that, even though it's conjecture. Were they quoted in a gaming magazine?

I think if anyone was hardcore enough to turn down the "free daily" all the way to level 66, it would be incredibly rare. I wonder if anyone reading this has NEVER taken the free daily on any of their toons. I doubt it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    Just curious if you have a source on that, even though it's conjecture. Were they quoted in a gaming magazine?
    Appeal to authority is all...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts

I'm just wondering if the title to this thread is going to be changed again to Wednesday, or of we will actually be seeing an update today?

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

Same.

20.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #159
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TANKKAAR View Post
    I'm just wondering if the title to this thread is going to be changed again to Wednesday, or of we will actually be seeing an update today?
    As this my friends is why we generally do not quote specific dates. Another issue with a behind the scenes change is holding up the patch. Wednesday (or after) it is.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

Ok, cool! Can't wait for the 1v1 pvp map.