Thread: Tap water Vs. Bottled water

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Tap water Vs. Bottled water

So... I have to do a 5-7 minute speech on whether or not Bottled water is a scam. I say it's NOT! *dramatic music*. Yes, I know about 95% of the people you ask will say that they ARE a scam, but I’ve decided to take the challenge and try to prove how they are not a scam because frankly, I just don’t see HOW they are a scam, and are infact, lifesaving. Here are my reasons as to why they're not a scam:

Reason A - Top priority of water bottles - used for emergencies such as earthquakes or various storms.

Reason B - Cleaner water source than tap water going through rusty pipes.

Reason C - They’re recyclable, which means they are not a total threat to the Earth. (Yes, some people don’t recycle but if a recycling commercial keeps going on the television, more and more people will start to get motivated and recycle, it’s a win-win situation! <---- this fact linked with counter argument B)

Reason D (Linked with Counter-argument A) - “Do not refill” sign is WRONG on the water bottle facts. Can be refilled several times, but not for a month let’s say.

Reason E - Less expense (Water filter, water bill, etc)

Reason F - Tap water CAN contain many chemicals such as fluoride and chlorine (drains that lead to lakes, oceans, etc). They were originally put in tap water to kill germs, but it still remains in the water.

Reason G - Calcium and Magnesium are needed within your body, and certain water bottle companies provide those elements into their product, which means it’s not a total scam. (They provide more than tap water!)

Counter-argument A - Continuous refilling of a water bottle can lead to low sperm count and increased risk of breast and/or prostate cancer.

Counter-argument B - Unrecycled water bottles can harm the earth.

Counter-argument C - How much oil or gas is used creating and carrying those water bottles across the world, and how much smoke is produced. Creating = 15 million barrels of oil per year to make all of the plastic water bottles in America

Did you guys know about 1/3 of the Americans use bottled water as their primary source of water? That should tell us something lol. So please give your opinions. YOu dont have to post where you get the opinions from (you dont have to post your sources), just tell me what you guys think THANKS I APPRECIATE IT. ^__^
    List of Insults! Found by me.
    THIS IS!!!!!!!.....sparta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

I've always drank outta the tap, and the garden hose outside. Don't get any better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Sometimes I find little rocks when I unscrew the filter thing from the sink... So tap water is never entirely clean?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Default .

I think that your teacher had nothing better to do and felt like being entertained by ramblings about bottled water for a period o.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Default .

Quote Originally Posted by Ayc2000 View Post
    Sometimes I find little rocks when I unscrew the filter thing from the sink... So tap water is never entirely clean?
    Most tap water filters use carbon or gravel to filter out impurities. That's normal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Haha thanks for the responses also filters never 100% FILTER out the chemicals or germs in the water...im not saying that you're always drinking water with those kinds of things but very rarely chemicals or germs will survive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

hmm its mostly reason G, tap water and bottled water is more or less the same thing, treated, with things in them to kill germs (chlorine), and stripped of natural minerals... a lot of bottled water is treated as well, say oxygenated lol... mineral water is fundamentally different, its water coming from natural springs and many times it has a distinct taste depending on where its from, and is full of - uh - minerals (magnesium, calcium, sodium etc), and its not put in there by the companies, its already in the water
    Your points differentiate between water that comes out of taps and water that is transported in bottles, as against treated and untreated water
    donno how much of 1/3 bottled water is mineral, dont really think it makes much of a difference

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

I will keep this one clean. If tap water were that bad, would you bathe or shower in it? I rest my case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

Actually, tap water IS cleaner.

When the bottled water is first added to the bottle it is cleaner than tap water, but, by the time it's been bottled, moved to the shop etc. it ends up DIRTIER than tap water.

My dad actually cleans and tests water systems as his job. One of his work colleagues tried to cheat a job and used bottled water for his samples. The lab turned down the bottled water and said, 'it's the worst test we've ever had'
    Nothing related to any players or drug references because they already got me into trouble

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

hmm donno about the brands there, but say Aquafina is tap water, literally means water that comes from a garden hose, and Evian is mineral water from one particular natural source in Geneva ... both of them come in bottles
    tap water has no taste and smell or has a chemical taste or smell, mineral water is sweet or salty or some other distinct taste

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

It depends where you live. Water quality is different from region to region as well as the standards to which it is tested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

It also depends on who you are with and where you are going.
    Last edited by Bronxman2012; 01-16-2012 at 05:05 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bronxman2012 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

...I'm screwed.