Thread: Set Bonus, what does this entail?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Set Bonus, what does this entail?

As the title states, I'm sort of lost and confused as to the regard of set bonuses. As I can imagine, having all 5 pieces of custom armor will yield a set bonus. I'm assuming that the sparks and such that some toons have would be the "visual" part of the set bonus, but are their stat bonuses as well, or just the aesthetics?

On a related note, I've heard talk about Blackstar shields (or any legendary for that matter) and Nova Blasters (once again, any legendary I assume). Having a pair of legendary items such as blaster/shield will also yield a "set bonus." Can anybody verify this, if so, does anyone know precisely what the bonus entails? I don't wanna save for a Nova forever only to find out that I could have had stats that would almost be as good with a Custom Chaos Breather and the "pink set bonus" is just a rumor or hoax.

So in review:

What does an armor set bonus entail?

Anyone able to shed some light on the Blaster/shield legendary set talk that's going around?

Thanks for the read.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to doomednoob For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

First, yes. You get the visual aspect of the set bonus and then there is also a small stat increase. This will vary depending on the set.

Second, there is the weapon/shield, but it only works with the legendary lvl 35 shields and the legendary lvl 35 pistols. I'm not sure of the names of the shields, except blackstar shield, but they can be bought with 5 platinum in the platinum store. The pistols, however, are a rare drop from the mysterious figure. Thes are the guttersnipe, electrorazer and nova blaster
    Nothing related to any players or drug references because they already got me into trouble

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Matutd For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matutd View Post
    First, yes. You get the visual aspect of the set bonus and then there is also a small stat increase. This will vary depending on the set.

Second, there is the weapon/shield, but it only works with the legendary lvl 35 shields and the legendary lvl 35 pistols. I'm not sure of the names of the shields, except blackstar shield, but they can be bought with 5 platinum in the platinum store. The pistols, however, are a rare drop from the mysterious figure. Thes are the guttersnipe, electrorazer and nova blaster

Point A, thanks, that makes some sense.

Now as far as point B, I'm familiar with the 3 weapons in question, as well as own my very own Blackstar shield. Is it safe to assume that there is a teensy-weensy stat increase whist having at least a pair of the items in question equipped?
    Doomednoob - LvL 41 Engineer
    Dooomednoob - LvL 11 Operative
    <Vengeance>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doomednoob View Post
    As the title states, I'm sort of lost and confused as to the regard of set bonuses. As I can imagine, having all 5 pieces of custom armor will yield a set bonus. I'm assuming that the sparks and such that some toons have would be the "visual" part of the set bonus, but are their stat bonuses as well, or just the aesthetics?

On a related note, I've heard talk about Blackstar shields (or any legendary for that matter) and Nova Blasters (once again, any legendary I assume). Having a pair of legendary items such as blaster/shield will also yield a "set bonus." Can anybody verify this, if so, does anyone know precisely what the bonus entails? I don't wanna save for a Nova forever only to find out that I could have had stats that would almost be as good with a Custom Chaos Breather and the "pink set bonus" is just a rumor or hoax.

So in review:

What does an armor set bonus entail?

Anyone able to shed some light on the Blaster/shield legendary set talk that's going around?

Thanks for the read.
    Hi Doomed, To answer your Q's, Yes, the 5 custom pieces will combine to create both a visual effect and a stat boost for a bonus. While the bonus is rather small, it can make a difference. I'm not sure of the bonus as it varies from class to class, i know operative bonus is something like 5 base dmg, a small crit boost, plus the health/mana bonus from the crafted armor itself. If you don't PvP I wouldn't bother, unless you got some extra credits kickin around.

As for the Legendary pistol/shield bonus, it is not a myth, you get *another* visual bonus (small green sparks) and also another slight boost in stats. I compared custom Chaos Breather/Blackstar Shield to Nova Blaster/Blackstar Shield, and it is very close, but Nova with the bonus still edges out the Breather by a few points. Again, unless you PvP, just stick with a custom (or even regular) Chaos Breather. You won't notice much of a difference in campaign runs.

Also, the Nova will no longer be the king of the hill come next cap raise, which is not all that far off. I'd say maybe another month, month and a half, so save your money for the nice snazzy new gears and just stick with the regular gear unless you plan on PvPing lots or enjoy looking super awesome with all the bonus effects.

Hope I helped ya out.

P.S. It is only my opinion that Nova is king, as. Some people prefer the other legendary 35 pistols for their faster speed. It's all preference.

Edit: Dang, took too long typing that out. Ninja'd by Matutd XD
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ebalere For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Ahhh, this is all starting to make a bit more sense as of now. Shweet. I hadn't even thought about the next cap raise, taking that into consideration and the fact I'm not swimming in X-Rays and Devourer helms, I think I might just choose the Electrorazor over the Nova and snag my custom Runetech instead. I appreciate the input. Very helpful.
    Doomednoob - LvL 41 Engineer
    Dooomednoob - LvL 11 Operative
    <Vengeance>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doomednoob View Post
    Ahhh, this is all starting to make a bit more sense as of now. Shweet. I hadn't even thought about the next cap raise, taking that into consideration and the fact I'm not swimming in X-Rays and Devourer helms, I think I might just choose the Electrorazor over the Nova and snag my custom Runetech instead. I appreciate the input. Very helpful.
    My pleasure. Electrorazer goes nicely with the purple custom too!
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums