Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PvP Events - Your thoughts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default PvP Events - Your thoughts

Hi Folks!

If you don't know me by now, I'm Firéad, one of the moderators here on the forums, and I'm looking to help make PvP fantastic! First off, I do ask that you all be patient, as this is going to be an ever evolving thing.

While we realize PvP isn't for everyone, we would like to get some regular PvP events going. That's where you guys come in - I want to hear from you, the Pvpers, with ideas of things you would like to see/do!

I'd like to get a League going (in Pocket Legends first) with regular tournaments (probably 3v3 Capture the Flag or maybe 5v5, though teams of 5 seem to be harder to get going) where the points from the tournament play contribute to standing in the ladder. On a regular basis (monthly, ideally) we review the standing of the ladder and grant the top team (or teams, depending on the range of participation) a prize.

Once we've got some ideas thrown about, I'd like to work to solidify some rules for these tourneys. That won't affect anything you all set up on your own, just these tournaments. If you have an idea or concern you are really not comfortable bringing up in front of everyone (IMO there are NO silly ideas, though!!), please feel free to PM me, and I'll make a note of it.

I look forward to seeing what you guys have to say!

Tournament & Ladder Leader AbsolutePally's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

First

Ladder does sound cool, maybe if something like a point based tournament. Where officially registered players can fight each other under specifically made games, maybe have a special password. These games would go towards their standings in a ladder that can only increase a players rank. The more matches you play the more points you get, including losses.
    This would promote playing matches/matching up, but mods will be in place so that a person can not increase his/her rank by constantly killing lower ranking players. You get more points for beating a player with equal or higher rank compared to winning against a lower ranked participant.
    Once the time frame expires the person with the highest rank/score wins.

To break it down let us use some examples:
    Everyone starts at "Rank D" and you move up for wins against other "D" people. In order to increase rank you need to beat one person thus becoming a "C -" (minus)
    The ranks will go D, C-, C, C+, B-, B, B+, A-, A, A+
    If a C fights a B, the B can gain some points for winning (as he/she should be able to win) but if the C wins he gets A LOT more points.
    So 3/1* point ratio, 3 points for a win against an equal rank and 1 for a loss. This remains the rule as long as you play within + or - 1 of your rank. The ratio flips if you play a whole rank above or below, so 1/3. Meaning the higher ranked person has the same chance to gain for a win as he does to gain if he loses. Therefore the higher reward goes to the player that is lower.
    Anything higher is a 0.5/5, you stand to gain only 0.5 points if you beat a player more than one rank below, so a C vs an A-, if the C wins he can gain 5 points and if A- wins he gains just 0.5 points.
    Hopefully this makes sense. I played VGT Starcraft and we had a set up like this. All we did was submit the matches w a replay and declare win or loss and specify the player you beat or lost to. We could do it more manually with typing and screenshots to accomplish the same outcome.
    Last edited by AbsolutePally; 01-21-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    Retired: Alwaysdt 71 Mage. Legends never die, they just fade away.

Revelation

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

3/3 sound good more people would have chance to play. And games be alot faster. League would be nice winning tourn will get you points and top ranking teams should be rewarded. Alot people play 3/3 more so we should start with that map.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Hey i think we should do pvp tournaments like 2 times a month for different lvl ranges starting at 1-10 then 2 weeks later is 11-15 and up till cap then restart.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Ranking and points will give people a reason to be active in pvp and play more. Everyone wants to be known. Cleaver idea to start a real ranking system. I support your idea fire. Good luck

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Variety is key also. In the case of CTF tourneys, not only have teams where classes are chosen by the members but have selective tourneys like mage, bear, or bird only. This would allow all classes to be more involved because, as we all know, birds and MAGES make the majority of the population.

I think gear specific games would be fun as well. For example: Host a 61-66 tourney using only Cyber sets and no vanities, or a 50-55 tourney with only Swamp gear. This would allow those who cannot afford the high end gear a chance to partcipate.

Just a few of my thoughts.... will update as my old brain spits out new ideas.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonTider For This Useful Post:

The Netherlands, posted 8 hours later than forum time.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I would like to see the kills and deaths, during the game, not only kills at the end
    SebastiaaNL 67 mage, IlikePvP 66 bird, DutchTwinkk 56 bear, NoobzGtfo 44 bird, BoomFear 35 mage, moneymakerrr 11 merchant
    Proud member of Influence!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I know this is not a event :/
    SebastiaaNL 67 mage, IlikePvP 66 bird, DutchTwinkk 56 bear, NoobzGtfo 44 bird, BoomFear 35 mage, moneymakerrr 11 merchant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I think that a rating system would give people something to strive for. Either ABCDE class system or something similar to chess, where your rating is a number that goes up or down based on the result, but the amount it goes up or down is based on their rating. If you beat someone with a good rating you get more rating points than if you beat someone with a much lower rating. I think to implement this you would have to have "rated maps" and "unrated maps" so that players know they are staking some of their ranking points when they go in to such a map.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

(Question)
    Would this be for end game players only? Because there are so many that play lower lvls?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by topskillz View Post
    (Question)
    Would this be for end game players only? Because there are so many that play lower lvls?
    True, but arena is (almost) always no FFA. Because of this, tourneys can be 1 v 1 only, or FFA but builds are not made for FFA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Talking

If you want more players to fight in PvP then you should hold 2v2 or 3v3 tournaments and let the prize be a vanity. IMO, when someone hears that the prize is a vanity they want to be a part of it and have a chance to possibly win one. Its like with the skull and crossbones shield vanity, I want one, doesn't everyone? Also, I think you should hold more than one tournament at a time on a single day limiting the levels of entry to the more active levels of PvP. ( 26, 30-35, 19-23, 10-15, 60-66, 50-56 etc..) I'm not sure what the actual group of PvP levels is for each, but you get my point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

I like the ranking system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts

like once a month the devs should host a tourney for all in a certain lvl with a never before seen vanity? this way it will attract lots of attention to the monthly dev tourney and the exclusive vanity with a good prize with it.
    i was thinking a tourney should not be like pvp but more intresting way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swords View Post
    like once a month the devs should host a tourney for all in a certain lvl with a never before seen vanity? this way it will attract lots of attention to the monthly dev tourney and the exclusive vanity with a good prize with it.
    i was thinking a tourney should not be like pvp but more intresting way.
    Almost exactly what I said.. A new vanity attracts a lot of attention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Thumbs up

Very nice ideas I am hearing here I like dtf's ranking system this would encourage people to actually play pvp to increase their rank, also give everyone a chance to start fresh, all start at D and move up. The idea of gear specific tourneys would be alot of fun as well. As for the idea of showing the deaths as well as kills would be a nice simple addition. On another note I think it was amyxrose or awwmang not sure which one, that gave the idea in an earlier post about gaining exp from pvp kills and flag captures. Now I realize that this would be hard to implement because there are those who would spawn kill to get pinks/exp or make private games with two devises and spawn themselves. It whould take alot of work but could be well worth it would be very nice not to have to lvl up/farm in dungeons as most true pvpers would not if they did not have too. Thanks for looking after us and making a great game even better. THUMBS UP FIREAD!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Keep the ideas coming - I love them!

I see a lot of mention of vanity items, so I'll see what can be done on that front (we do already have the Skull & Crossbones shield).

Quote Originally Posted by topskillz View Post
    (Question)
    Ideally, we get something going for tiers of players; everyone should be able to have fun, not just the end gamers!

If you folks hold tourneys of your own (I know you do!), I'd like you to PM me a link to the thread for it, so i can see the progression, and let me know if something worked really well or just went poorly. It'll help us streamline this and coordinate with you all on prizes and the like.

Thanks for all your info, and patience!

Firéad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aratreoybae View Post
    Very nice ideas I am hearing here I like dtf's ranking system this would encourage people to actually play pvp to increase their rank, also give everyone a chance to start fresh, all start at D and move up. The idea of gear specific tourneys would be alot of fun as well. As for the idea of showing the deaths as well as kills would be a nice simple addition. On another note I think it was amyxrose or awwmang not sure which one, that gave the idea in an earlier post about gaining exp from pvp kills and flag captures. Now I realize that this would be hard to implement because there are those who would spawn kill to get pinks/exp or make private games with two devises and spawn themselves. It whould take alot of work but could be well worth it would be very nice not to have to lvl up/farm in dungeons as most true pvpers would not if they did not have too. Thanks for looking after us and making a great game even better. THUMBS UP FIREAD!
    The idea of getting xp for pvp/ctf kills was my idea ... Like 3 months ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

For twinks: disable xp gain.
    Against farmers: their have to be 4 people in a game.
    My idea!!! (at suggestions)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Imsebastiaanl View Post
    The idea of getting xp for pvp/ctf kills was my idea ... Like 3 months ago.
    And somebody had it before that, Amy, I think?
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List