Thread: [DEVS] Fixing The Name Stealing Problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default [DEVS] Fixing The Name Stealing Problem

This goes to everyone that has experienced deleting a good name, trying to recreate it and finding out someone has taken that name. It is definitely scary deleting a good name and then trying to make it again as fast as possible before someone takes it, especially if you own a 3 letter name. I remember transfering all of my items from my alt Censoring into my stash getting ready to delete it. When I tried to create it, someone took the name. My "simple" solution to this is to bind the name to the account for 30 minutes, an hour, or two, after that account has deleted the name. If the account hasn't recreated a character with the name, then unbind the name from the account so that someone can take it if they want it.

Another way to do this with less worry is to have a second device on the character creation screen, type in the name you are trying to recreate on any class, and create it as soon as you delete it on your main account. Once you do this, take the name this time on your main account of course and choose the class you want to use, delete the name on the 2nd account, and then instantly create the name on your main account. This is obviously to give someone enough time to make their character again if they want without having to worry about someone stealing their name. I hope the first solution will be applied to the game as soon as possible if it is possible to do so.

- Ifarmplasma

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeast View Post
    This goes to everyone that has experienced deleting a good name, trying to recreate it and finding out someone has taken that name. It is definitely scary deleting a good name and then trying to make it again as fast as possible before someone takes it, especially if you own a 3 letter name. I remember transfering all of my items from my alt Censoring into my stash getting ready to delete it. When I tried to create it, someone took the name. My "simple" solution to this is to bind the name to the account for 30 minutes, an hour, or two, after that account has deleted the name. If the account hasn't recreated a character with the name, then unbind the name from the account so that someone can take it if they want it.

Another way to do this with less worry is to have a second device on the character creation screen, type in the name you are trying to recreate on any class, and create it as soon as you delete it on your main account. Once you do this, take the name this time on your main account of course and choose the class you want to use, delete the name on the 2nd account, and then instantly create the name on your main account. This is obviously to give someone enough time to make their character again if they want without having to worry about someone stealing their name. I hope the first solution will be applied to the game as soon as possible if it is possible to do so.

- Ifarmplasma
    Shouldve been done years ago but its too much work obviously

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

I fail to understand how someone would know to snipe a name they are unaware is available. I have moved/renamed toons multiple times and never had this issue.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonTider For This Useful Post:

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    I fail to understand how someone would know to snipe a name they are unaware is available. I have moved/renamed toons multiple times and never had this issue.
    I've seen it happen before. Some (unfortunately) clever black marketers will write up algorithms to sweep names the second they're deleted.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to XghostzX For This Useful Post:

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XghostzX View Post
    I've seen it happen before. Some (unfortunately) clever black marketers will write up algorithms to sweep names the second they're deleted.
    Guess I'm lucky my names were undesirable.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

You have to make a script that snipes your own name back on to your own account. It's a pathetic work around to a niche problem, but it can be necessary at times.
    raid that roach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Someone people that are minding their own business would see a random go up to stash and take off all of their stuff and leave. If they see that and wanted their name they would try to take it before the original owner of the name creates it. The person who stole the name would then not get on it for maybe a week or two hoping the original owner of the name somehow forgets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

That’s good info bro thanks ... I’ve always heard the term “name sniping” ... now have a better understanding.
    Sounds easy enough to fix .. So the real question that deserves an answer is ... why after 10 yrs of PL hasn’t something been done ?