Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Suggestion: Make the next expansion 100% PvP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,191 Posts

Many years ago before starting Spacetime, one of my most critically-acclaimed games featured a required "PVP" component. The 'last level' of the game was all about beating each other up (in space). My development team had millions in resources, months of time to build, and we wound up creating one of the most finely balanced multiplayer space combat games that's ever existed. Unfortunately none of that mattered because the rest of the game was almost entirely PVE, and only a small percentage of the game population would accept PVP performance dictating their PVE success. Facing massive backlash from the majority population of the game management insisted that we revert the "PVP" requirements for endgame. Looking back, I'm dumb for making this effort (in "Star Wars: Jump to Lightspeed") because some friends of mine had done a similar thing with another older game and it had flopped in the exact same way. They warned me and back then I didn't listen. As a general rule, MMO players en masse prefer PVP success based on PVE content consumption and not the other way 'round.

Also, to be clear: expansions are a business effort (driving player retention and long-term revenue). I would not green-light a PVP-focused expansion that didn't effectively monetize all of the components in such a way as to make up for the deliberate absence of PVE revenues. My guess is that these monetization changes would sour even the most dedicated player as they would go far beyond what we currently have in our largely PVE-focused game.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cinco For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinco View Post
    Many years ago...
    That’s understandable! However, would looking into adding a new gamemode or two be out of the question? I’m no developer so I have no inkling of how this would cut into the focus on PvE but it would be something fresh for current PvP while also giving you another avenue to add onto in later expansions (in the spirit of content consumption).

Thanks for the reply.