Thread: Too much dodge/armor and not enough health?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Too much dodge/armor and not enough health?

So basically this is the problem I see and I hope others agree. While tanking, I use evade and iron blood. These last I believe 20 seconds, but have around a 30 sec cool down or refresh. The problem I have is once these wear off I become very squishy, sometimes being 2 shotted while having on full isis + 1 thoth item.

I don't think Evade/Iron blood work very well for tanking because of this reason. Being invulnerable for 20 seconds is just silly. Being very squishy as a tank for 10 remaining seconds is even sillier in my opinion.

Spacetimestudios Devs, my suggestion is that if these npc will continue to hit like trucks, then please give everyone some +health stats on all Classes gear. However Str gear should give a substantial amount of health more. For instance, each Mynas Isis piece should have about +45 hp on it while each Scorpion Isis should have about +25. This way tanks can have a good bit more hp while keeping the armor scaling that is already in place.

Another thing is that iron blood/evade need to be reworked. They give too much of a boost. I say nerf each one's bonus to dodge and armor but buff the amount of time it remains or lower the cool down rate.

I feel like I just run in with a divine sheild on, and once it drops, I am easily toast.

I'd rather be spamming pots every 4 or 5 seconds than being two shotted. Is anyone else with me on this?
    Kavanah: "Cinco, would you rather be in a Norma Jean or As I Lay Dying mosh pit?"
    Cinco: "Norma Jean, in that case /mosh"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is no reason you can't alternate iron blood and evade. When one drops fire the other. Each adds a significant boost to your tanking ability. Much less time with no buff then. Make the job a little more hands on, which in my opinion is a good thing.
    GAVRY - LEVEL 50 TANK | BAVIAN - LEVEL 50 CASTER
    Gavry's Great Ideas Thread | Pocket Legends Manual Thread | Skill Overhaul Document | Quest Overhaul Document
    To my friends, thanks for the good times. Goodbye

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

We've been talking about this for a long time (as far as pvp is concerned). The fact that a player is buffed almost all the time is an issue (along with several others regarding the games combat system) that i don't see getting resolved..

There is just a limit to how much feedback the player base can make until it starts to feel pointless.

Ogrim-lvl 50-Ursan Alta-lvl 45-Enchantress Broke-lvl 45-Avian
    Venom Website: http://venom.forumn.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gavry View Post
    There is no reason you can't alternate iron blood and evade. When one drops fire the other. Each adds a significant boost to your tanking ability. Much less time with no buff then. Make the job a little more hands on, which in my opinion is a good thing.
    The problem gavry is that even with evade and a 70% dodge, if two succesful good hits come through that dodge, you're toast. It's just too much "burst" damage in my opinin and needs to be more of a sustained damage intake. I mean its useless for enchanters to even try to heal now...
    Kavanah: "Cinco, would you rather be in a Norma Jean or As I Lay Dying mosh pit?"

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

It seems these issues had a lot to do with a bug in the current system where crits and damage multipliers were ignoring armor. I predict with the fix in 1.3 the damage taken is going to be greatly muted and be less dependent on being buffed.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    It seems these issues had a lot to do with a bug in the current system where crits and damage multipliers were ignoring armor. I predict with the fix in 1.3 the damage taken is going to be greatly muted and be less dependent on being buffed.
    I hope I read that correctly as well in the patch notes. I still think +health items would be cool to intergrate when AO3 comes out. Ive had the same HP since lvl 1 basically. Would like to see that increase =P

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kavanah View Post
    I hope I read that correctly as well in the patch notes. I still think +health items would be cool to intergrate when AO3 comes out. Ive had the same HP since lvl 1 basically. Would like to see that increase =P
    That does not make sense at all as a tank. I am assuming you are using Warrior Equipment, and at Lvl 45 that means a minimum of 142 Str. That means you should have about 142 more hp then at level 1. Also, a lot of Tanks go full Strength, which at Lvl 45 would be 225 More Hp then Lvl 1. Are you going all Dex?

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That does not make sense at all as a tank. I am assuming you are using Warrior Equipment, and at Lvl 45 that means a minimum of 142 Str. That means you should have about 142 more hp then at level 1. Also, a lot of Tanks go full Strength, which at Lvl 45 would be 225 More Hp then Lvl 1. Are you going all Dex?
    I started with 301 health at lvl 1 with default items

With full isis + 1 thoth item I have 372 health.

I have 143 str (accidently pressed one too many)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

|-----Iron Blood-----|
    ||||||||||||||||-------Evade--------|
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||-----Iron Blood-----|
    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||-------Evade--------| , etc.

edit:
    You only have to count the time once, then re-buff when each becomes available.

Say you have a weapon speed of 2.0, and it takes maybe 1 second to cast Iron Blood, simply cast it, swing the sword 7 times, then cast Evade. After that you can just keep swinging the sword and tapping each buff as it refreshes. Out of each minute, 1/3rd of the time (20 seconds), both buffs will be active. The other 2/3rds of the time (40 secs), one or the other buff will be active.

The way you are doing it right now, both buffs are active 2/3rds of the time making you feel invincible, then you are vulnerable the other 1/3rd of the time probably right when you have waded into their killbox, resulting in a high deathrate... unless you can stomp and run away!
    Last edited by Snakespeare; 07-29-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

I am assuming you are using Warrior Equipment, and at Lvl 45 that means a minimum of 142 Str. That means you should have about 142 more hp then at level 1. Also, a lot of Tanks go full Strength, which at Lvl 45 would be 225 More Hp then Lvl 1.
    You get only 2 points of health for every 4 attribute points you put in Str
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    |-----Iron Blood-----|
    ||||||||||||||||-------Evade--------|
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||-----Iron Blood-----|
    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||-------Evade--------| , etc.

edit:
    You only have to count the time once, then re-buff when each becomes available.

Say you have a weapon speed of 2.0, and it takes maybe 1 second to cast Iron Blood, simply cast it, swing the sword 7 times, then cast Evade. After that you can just keep swinging the sword and tapping each buff as it refreshes. Out of each minute, 1/3rd of the time (20 seconds), both buffs will be active. The other 2/3rds of the time (40 secs), one or the other buff will be active.

The way you are doing it right now, both buffs are active 2/3rds of the time making you feel invincible, then you are vulnerable the other 1/3rd of the time probably right when you have waded into their killbox, resulting in a high deathrate... unless you can stomp and run away!
    This was good information, and I started doing just this, but I still stand by the revamp of mechanics haha. Or at least progressive work towards less burst damage from npcs as the game progresses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Str is completely worthless. Infact stats in general are worthless except dex. We all knew as the game progressed in level, the class/stat/skill/combat system would become more ridiculous. There are so many problems, that small changes will NEVER fix overall pvp, party pve combat, and the classes.

The whole system needs to be completely revamped. The devs aren't going to do it (or atleast for a very long time). Once that sinks into players minds, one by one we just give up. We stop playing as much... We stop posting on the forums... And eventually we stop paying and quit.

As far as i can tell, the devs are working on a new project. Maybe they are on vacation. As far a im concerned, 1.3 is underwhelming for end game players. The quests will get finished in less than a day and and the towns dont actually improve gameplay, it just adds to it.

Maybe im complaining, and maybe the next update will be better but my point is that the suggestions forum is an excersize in futility. 99% of good ideas have already been posted and most if not all will never be implemented. And people wonder why the OGs are quiting.
    Last edited by Azrael; 07-29-2010 at 06:06 PM.

Ogrim-lvl 50-Ursan Alta-lvl 45-Enchantress Broke-lvl 45-Avian
    Venom Website: http://venom.forumn.net

Junior Member MusicalYoshi (Opold)'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have to agree with some of the points mentioned.

It would be more ideal to have heath modifiers on armour rather than stat modifiers whose affects are not significant.

Occasionally, I do wonder why I can still lose 3/4 of my health from one shot of an archer enemy whilst I wear high quality armour w/ wing shield and 280 health total.
    Opold/Avian Talon Thrower/ Lv45

My VG Music Performance Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/musicalyoshi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Ranged Bosses rule. The only thing I have found (at middle levels at least) is to visit Ellie before trying to fight a ranged boss, and then keep one thumb over the healing potion button. Every time it drops even a quarter of the way, I quaff a pot. Sometimes it requires that I quaff two before I can hit the attack button again. So it looks like this: evade, attack, attack, quaff, attack, quaff, attack, iron blood, quaff, attack, attack, quaff, quaff, stomp, attack, attack, quaff, rage, attack, attack, quaff, ... etc. until he's dead.

The only problem is, other players don't do it. If you're in a group, they all die and you are left to quaff down 30 healing pots in order to take out the ranged boss.

If everyone in the group were doing it, he would take 4 shots at you, turn to the others, and take four shots at each of them. In the end you would all drink about 5 to 10 healing pots, and all survive, and all get a chance for a pink or purple.

Not to mention how the team mates all respawn at different times and go in to die again. ( I mean, seriously, there is a huge lack of strategy in random groups!!! What's the rush? We could slow down and do it right...)

Gold has no other purpose than to buy potions, I think, so why not use them?
    Last edited by Snakespeare; 07-30-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    Every time it drops even a quarter of the way, I quaff a pot. Sometimes it requires that I quaff two before I can hit the attack button again.
    You don't like the auto attack feature? I've been using it and love it!

Junior Member MusicalYoshi (Opold)'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kavanah View Post
    the auto attack feature
    Yes, the auto attack is ideal. It allows you to do other functions while attacking at the same time. Suitable for boss fights... suitable for general use, period.
    Opold/Avian Talon Thrower/ Lv45

My VG Music Performance Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/musicalyoshi