Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you make it a bit harder to level?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Can you make it a bit harder to level?

Honestly, you raise the level cap, and that same night, I'm seeing 28-30s running around towne talking about starting their uberguild. Since we're not paying a monthly fee, I don't see the harm in making it harder to gain XP.

And just so I don't sound like a complainer, I've got a 25 mage and a 27 archer. Didn't anyone play Ultima Online? This reminds me of early UO, and back then, a 7X GM actually meant something. Anyone can hit level 30 in this game with a little effort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I'm not saying make this super easy, but I don't need a WoW experience where it takes forever (unless you avoid work, life, etc) to level to 80. I like going through the content quickly, leveling up my 3 chars, and then going back to get better loot.
    PL acct 4/7/10 - Setec Lvl 52 STR Bear | SL acct 8/29/11 - Setec Lvl 10 Commando | DL acct created 9/16/12 - Setec Lvl 17 Male | AL acct 3/28/13 - Setec Lvl 9 Warrior | iOS 8 on iPad Mini 2/iPhone 6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by setec View Post
    I'm not saying make this super easy, but I don't need a WoW experience where it takes forever (unless you avoid work, life, etc) to level to 80. I like going through the content quickly, leveling up my 3 chars, and then going back to get better loot.
    Oh no, not comparing it to WOW (or DAOC, if anyone played that), but like I said, if they raise the level cap 5 levels, and people are hitting it within a few hours, then that cap increase is almost arbitrary. Personally, I'm not killing things much quicker (or surviving) 5 levels later, so why not enjoy looting and leveling simultaneously? You can "get better loot" whether you're 25 or 30.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Some people are playing this in a way it wasn't really intended though. This game was/is supposed to be more of a pick it up, play a few levels, leave it at that, come back tomorrow kind of game. People are playing this non-stop for hours and hours (certainly to level up by 5, it DOES take time). I don't think it should take longer to level up, it's just that some are playing this like crazy and just burning straight through any new level pack. If Spacetime changed it and it took twice as long to level up, these guys might still play all the way through a new map non-stop, it's just in their nature it seems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by _ck View Post
    Some people are playing this in a way it wasn't really intended though. This game was/is supposed to be more of a pick it up, play a few levels, leave it at that, come back tomorrow kind of game. People are playing this non-stop for hours and hours (certainly to level up by 5, it DOES take time). I don't think it should take longer to level up, it's just that some are playing this like crazy and just burning straight through any new level pack. If Spacetime changed it and it took twice as long to level up, these guys might still play all the way through a new map non-stop, it's just in their nature it seems.
    This is true. Our clan had at least 12 people in chat ALL DAY. And many of them were the same 12.

These types of games attract the hardcore and they will always be ahead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I like the way it is now. I can play it for hours at a time or I can put it down for days. It's even great for killing time if you only have 5 minutes. And whether you play for hours or minutes, it's fun. I don't want to loose the fun factor.
    PL acct 4/7/10 - Setec Lvl 52 STR Bear | SL acct 8/29/11 - Setec Lvl 10 Commando | DL acct created 9/16/12 - Setec Lvl 17 Male | AL acct 3/28/13 - Setec Lvl 9 Warrior | iOS 8 on iPad Mini 2/iPhone 6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't leveled to high levels yet.
    But I certainly don't want a Knight Online like leveling experience in a handheld device I maybe play max 1h a day or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just because a select handful of people who are playing 24 hours a day and max leveling is no reason to make leveling harder.. This would just reward them for already beating the curve and hurt everyone else whose not already level 30
    Level 35 archer - kronicdecay
    level 31 enchantress - beaneater

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have to agree with Kronic.
    I think there are better ways to separate the hardcore and the causal then just make harder to find xp.

One separation that is arguably doing this is paid content, people that wants to pick up this game to have a good time doesn't need to buy anything if they do not wish. The people that wants more out of this game will support the devs and pay for the extra maps.

That said, the game isn't terribly all that interesting. In no disrespect to the devs, if you stand back and look at this and compare this to any other successful mmo's on the PC. This is just another typical hack and slash, xp grinding MMO.
    The only grab for me personally is that this is the a typical hack and slash, xp grinding MMO IN MY POCKET. Done right! (caplocks and bold o show how stocked I am!)

I would personally see some sorta challenging and intuitive game play mechanics.

I have a few ideas but I dont want to say anything til I see "end game".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrai View Post
    I would personally see some sorta challenging and intuitive game play mechanics.
    I completely agree with that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is why I was selective with my wording. "A bit harder" does not equate to "twice as long" or hours and hours". There is some tweaking that should be made. It's slower to level initially, but once you're around 10-15 and hunting in appropriate dungeons, it doesn't take 24 hour a day play to start leveling.

The fun factor is specific to everyone. The players trying to hit the new cap immediately will always be the hardcore players, and as it stands, it's too easy. The casual pick-up-and-play players shouldn't be concerned with max level (I have plenty of friends in this category) and will have their fun hunting at low-mid levels with like-minded players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doot View Post
    This is why I was selective with my wording. "A bit harder" does not equate to "twice as long" or hours and hours". There is some tweaking that should be made. It's slower to level initially, but once you're around 10-15 and hunting in appropriate dungeons, it doesn't take 24 hour a day play to start leveling.

The fun factor is specific to everyone. The players trying to hit the new cap immediately will always be the hardcore players, and as it stands, it's too easy. The casual pick-up-and-play players shouldn't be concerned with max level (I have plenty of friends in this category) and will have their fun hunting at low-mid levels with like-minded players.
    Well hardcore doesn't always mean that your a powerleveler, or in this case powergrinder :P
    I used to play wow wow too much, and when the expansion from 70-80 came, I didn't powerlevel at all, I thought it was boring and when i finally reached 80 I started playing too much again.
    I just don't like stuff that is repetitive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Personally I agree with doot that you should make it harder to level. Way to many people reach max level with no effort. It would also work if you raised the level cap a lot more (like 10 to 15 levels) per expansion.
    Deathshock: Level 30 Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How can making it harder to level benefit anyone? This brings me back to my original point above, you'd be hurting the people who are not already at level 30. Also the casual players who don't play often will have to play even longer to level up. Not a good idea IMO

edit : also I've been playing the game in my freetime in and off work since release and I'm only level 24, so how can you say it's too easy to level? Only for those who are playing 8+ hours a day
    Level 35 archer - kronicdecay
    level 31 enchantress - beaneater

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Slowing lv progression won't do anything for this game.
    The problem is that this game that doesn't have much to go by.

New maps and lvs are the only way atm they can drag out the longevity of the game. In essence, given a set amount of time, anyone: soft, mid?, hard-core players will eventually react a lv cap; be it lv 30 or lv 100. Prolonging that progression only makes it an annoyance.

In terms of game mechanics, I think lving is a bit out of date. Sure you need a meter stick to give measure to players a sense of progression but IMO, thats the only thing it is good for. "I am this lv now, I am skilled enough to go do something with these lvs" is what it is met to be used for. (think of roller coaster rides, "you have to be this tall to ride this ride")

A good design would giving the player something to do with these lvs and abilities.

This game is new. give it time. I'm willing to give this a benefit of a doubt. I bought these map packs, I'd enjoyed it. I just hope the next 1.99 I spend isn't another lv cap increase and more "same old" mobs and instances I've been playing for 30 lvs.
    Last edited by Shinrai; 04-17-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KronicDecay View Post
    How can making it harder to level benefit anyone? This brings me back to my original point above, you'd be hurting the people who are not already at level 30. Also the casual players who don't play often will have to play even longer to level up. Not a good idea IMO

edit : also I've been playing the game in my freetime in and off work since release and I'm only level 24, so how can you say it's too easy to level? Only for those who are playing 8+ hours a day
    And how is it hurting people to extend the value of a game for players with something to reach for? This game is a grindfest. Let's be realistic. Casual players don't care about hitting the level cap. If they did, they wouldn't be casual players.

Your free time is relative. How long did it take you to hit 24?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrai View Post
    Slowing lv progression won't do anything for this game.
    The problem is that this game that doesn't have much to go by.

New maps and lvs are the only way atm they can drag out the longevity of the game. In essence, given a set amount of time, anyone: soft, mid?, hard-core players will eventually react a lv cap; be it lv 30 or lv 100. Prolonging that progression only makes it an annoyance.

In terms of game mechanics, I think lving is a bit out of date. Sure you need a meter stick to give measure to players a sense of progression but IMO, thats the only thing it is good for. "I am this lv now, I am skilled enough to go do something with these lvs" is what it is met to be used for. (think of roller coaster rides, "you have to be this tall to ride this ride")

A good design would giving the player something to do with these lvs and abilities.

This game is new. give it time. I'm willing to give this a benefit of a doubt. I bought these map packs, I'd enjoyed it. I just hope the next 1.99 I spend isn't another lv cap increase and more "same old" mobs and instances I've been playing for 30 lvs.
    You're sure that slowing level progression won't do anything for this game. You're solely speaking for yourself, you realize?

At the moment, yes, slowing level progression will absolutely extend the longevity of the game. At this stage in the game's lifespan, it's one of the few things you can do to extend the longevity of the game. Do you expect the devs to implement new maps daily? Weekly? Grinding is an annoyance to you, but not to the millions of people that have purchased RPGs over the years. It's an absolute joy to others, and if you don't believe that, you are naive.

Your idea about doing away with leveling has nothing to do with my post and is a very strange idea. New levels are obviously a treat for everyone, and the devs have been knocking them out, in my opinion.

This game is new. Give it time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Shinrai is not wrong about levels being out of date. Using the ever cliche example of WoW, WoW had a rather small level cap for a mmorpg, but yet it was insanely popular. This was due to the content they had outside of grinding for exp.

But frankly, this is not WoW. This is a iPhone game, its not meant for hardcore gaming, and if I have to spend 1 hour playing to see my exp bar move by a pixel, it is stupid. I think the leveling rate is fine as it is. Saying that slowing leveling to stretch out the playability, is a rather naive method of thinking. Should look to other areas to improve playability, rather then make it more tedious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do agree it takes a while, but tbh i wouldnt mind it taking twice as long because you dont need to play a bunch. If you play wisely. My melee dps archer kills mobs really quickly and i solo most dungeons making it ez for me to level rather quickly, plus since i solo i get all the gear. Ill leave it at that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Splurd View Post
    Shinrai is not wrong about levels being out of date. Using the ever cliche example of WoW, WoW had a rather small level cap for a mmorpg, but yet it was insanely popular. This was due to the content they had outside of grinding for exp.

But frankly, this is not WoW. This is a iPhone game, its not meant for hardcore gaming, and if I have to spend 1 hour playing to see my exp bar move by a pixel, it is stupid. I think the leveling rate is fine as it is. Saying that slowing leveling to stretch out the playability, is a rather naive method of thinking. Should look to other areas to improve playability, rather then make it more tedious.

You are correct. This is not WOW. It will never be WOW, so stop using it as a point of comparison. That is stupid.

To say that an iPhone game cannot be meant for hardcore gaming is rather naive. Why can't hardcore gaming exist on a device that is more capable than a DS with publishers that develop hardcore games for other platforms?

Does it really take you an hour to move a pixel? No, really? PM me for tips on basic gameplay.

Nothing in your post makes sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doot View Post
    You are correct. This is not WOW. It will never be WOW, so stop using it as a point of comparison. That is stupid.

To say that an iPhone game cannot be meant for hardcore gaming is rather naive. Why can't hardcore gaming exist on a device that is more capable than a DS with publishers that develop hardcore games for other platforms?

Does it really take you an hour to move a pixel? No, really? PM me for tips on basic gameplay.

Nothing in your post makes sense.

Well arnt you a bundle of joy.

Yes, I said this is not WoW. But that does not mean we cannot compare it. Give me a reason why we cant compare two mmorpgs together? Hmmm?

Like I said. WoW was popular despite not being a exp grindfest. It is an example how a game can be fun without the focus on grinding for exp and levels. My point is, a game can still be fun even if its not about grinding for levels. If this example is too complex for your closed mindset to handle, I cannot help you.

As to why do I say the iPhone is not meant for hardcore gaming.

Because its an iPhone.

The battery life cannot last a day. Playing this game for an hour or two will sap it down to red. And then what, you have a near flat phone for the rest of the day.

And no, read carefully. I said if it gets to a point where I have to spend an hour to get a pixel's worth of exp, the game has reached a level of stupidity. We're not there yet. And I hope we never will.

And lighten up, will you. Whats up with the bee in your bonnet.