Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you make it a bit harder to level?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doot View Post
    And how is it hurting people to extend the value of a game for players with something to reach for? This game is a grindfest. Let's be realistic. Casual players don't care about hitting the level cap. If they did, they wouldn't be casual players.

Your free time is relative. How long did it take you to hit 24?
    What or who gave you the power to dictate whether or not a casual player wants to hit lv cap? I play 1/2 hours a day during lunch (slack off at work to post on forums) and I want to react lv cap, does that mean I'm a hardcore player? Moreover, how do you define a "casual player"? Does posting on this forum make me hardcore because I care to make my opinions heard?

And yes, some of us are being sensible and realistic. This game is a grindfest. Some of us don't particular care for this type of gameplay. IMO, its lazy design. It's been tried and done to death. Just because something works doesn't mean it is "fun". ("fun is relative to the user experience, I get that)

Take trasportation for example: since the dawn of time, we've been able to move about just fine on our own two legs. Why then did we find the need to invent the wheel? It was because we needed to get around using other methods, we relied on our wits to enriched a very mundane action. Innovation thru the use of intelligence was what seperated us from the animals.

"Design" in itself borrows from this very same principal. You can't re-invent the wheel, but nothing is stopping you from improving upon it.

You're sure that slowing level progression won't do anything for this game. You're solely speaking for yourself, you realize?
    You're sure that making level progression slower will do anything for this game. You're solely speaking for yourself, you realize?

What was your point again? lol

At the moment, yes, slowing level progression will absolutely extend the longevity of the game. At this stage in the game's lifespan, it's one of the few things you can do to extend the longevity of the game. Do you expect the devs to implement new maps daily? Weekly? Grinding is an annoyance to you, but not to the millions of people that have purchased RPGs over the years. It's an absolute joy to others, and if you don't believe that, you are naive.

Your idea about doing away with leveling has nothing to do with my post and is a very strange idea. New levels are obviously a treat for everyone, and the devs have been knocking them out, in my opinion.

This game is new. Give it time.
    I think it was back in 97' when I first got my hands on a Kr Beta MMO called Lineage. For weeks, I sat infront of my CRT monitor for a unhealthy period of time starring at the rationation emitting device, grinding mobs to react an unattanable lv cap. (because there was none) It was a joy...a decade ago.

And please pardon my inability to explain anything, I thought I said that leveling is still required because it gives the player some sort of progression. I didnt say to do away with it, I just think it's irrelevant. Personally, I am not smart enough to find or design a better system to replace it.

And also, based on your suggestion and feedback, I came up with a new concept for Monopoly:

Don't give anyone any money at the start of the game.
    Roll "pass go" for a few hours til someone is rich enough to buy a property.
    When you land on someone's property, u only pay 10% of the cost of the land value.
    Rinse. Repeat. Lather (if needed)

Good times.

In your words, grinding in itself is a tried and true mechanic that "millions of people" have previously enjoyed. I believe it. Not a tedious nor mundane thing to do. My previous comments were totally naive.

Do you expect the devs to implement new maps daily? Weekly?
    No, I don't want new maps everyday/week. I want to know that the next map pack I buy is thought out. I want my next map pack to implement more then a re-skinned dungeon with the same types of enemies. I want more then just another lv cap increase or a better weapon. I want something different, not something I've done already. I expect that the boss at the end of the stage looks and play different.

Did I make myself crystal clear?
    Last edited by Shinrai; 04-19-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: to make myself crystal clear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm good at the current progression of leveling. After work, spend an hour or two and level up by 3 levels and im good with that. Looking for a party at the expansion maps is hard on its own. So i dont think making it hard to level will be beneficial unless you want to jack your phone up and play it non-stop. If that's the case then have yourself an MMORPG that's meant to be played on a PC if you'll be spending this tad amount of time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still at this huh? I still agree with the current progression of levels and will fight to the bitter end that you will be screwing everyone over by doing this. It took me two weeks of "casual play" to hit level 30 and I'm very proud of it. Making level progression harder is a very stupid idea IMO
    Level 35 archer - kronicdecay
    level 31 enchantress - beaneater

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

And the fact that the level cap is still only level 30 so it should be getting alot harder. Not that hard to understand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by KronicDecay View Post
    Still at this huh? I still agree with the current progression of levels and will fight to the bitter end that you will be screwing everyone over by doing this. It took me two weeks of "casual play" to hit level 30 and I'm very proud of it. Making level progression harder is a very stupid idea IMO
    ftw to what he says
    Archer. maxvegas
    Warrior. loonee
    Enchantress. zephyrs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Banned View Post
    And the fact that the level cap is still only level 30 so it should be getting alot harder. Not that hard to understand.
    They obviously plan to raise it. If you look in the itunes store for archers, I see a heavy crossbow for lvl 30 - 50's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It seems to me that it took about the same time to level from 25-30 as it did from 20-25, which is 4-5 hours. I dunno, I think that the level cap raise should take a little longer than that...
    Deathshock: Level 30 Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Splurd View Post
    They obviously plan to raise it. If you look in the itunes store for archers, I see a heavy crossbow for lvl 30 - 50's.
    I know. Like I said, the level cap is still only at level 30 so it will be getting alot harder. Higher level cap= harder enemies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well arnt you a bundle of joy.
    And aren't you quite the speller. See how easy this is? Stay on topic.

Yes, I said this is not WoW. But that does not mean we cannot compare it. Give me a reason why we cant compare two mmorpgs together? Hmmm?

Like I said. WoW was popular despite not being a exp grindfest. It is an example how a game can be fun without the focus on grinding for exp and levels. My point is, a game can still be fun even if its not about grinding for levels. If this example is too complex for your closed mindset to handle, I cannot help you.
    And this is why I took that tone with you. That and the naive comment you made.

We can compare PL to Tetris, and it would make just as much sense. For example, "Tetris can be fun if it is not about grinding for levels".

It's an rpg. Grinding happens. At this stage in the game's lifespan, it's a huge part of it. I'm sure you have a million fun suggestions on how to make this game better. Be patient, and maybe they will come.

As to why do I say the iPhone is not meant for hardcore gaming.

Because its an iPhone.

The battery life cannot last a day. Playing this game for an hour or two will sap it down to red. And then what, you have a near flat phone for the rest of the day.

And no, read carefully. I said if it gets to a point where I have to spend an hour to get a pixel's worth of exp, the game has reached a level of stupidity. We're not there yet. And I hope we never will.

And lighten up, will you. Whats up with the bee in your bonnet.
    Nope, still not making any sense. I guess we all have our own idea of what hardcore gaming is. If yours is based solely on a device's battery life, then I don't know what to tell you. That's a very strange opinion to me.

Condescending and then asking the other party to lighten up always makes me laugh. Maybe if you make the font even bigger and use more smilies, I'll see the light.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrai View Post
    Too much to read.
    I had to go back and re-read the thread because I forgot who you were. Did you really just write me a book and throw some weird Monopoly reference in there?

I'll just say that I agree with you, because I don't want to read it all..

And I think we've hunted together. I find that funny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

My simple point is that grinding for exp is not the only way a game can be entertaining. I used WoW as an example of an MMORPG which has entertainment, even outside of gridning. Both PL and WoW are MMORPGs. Tetris is not a MMORPG. So what is the problem with comparing them? Yes, they are on different consoles so we cannot expect the same standards of a game, but are the core, both games follow the same style of gameplay. It makes sense. Comparing Tetris do not make sense, and neither do you.

The reason why I mention the iPhones battery life is because,
    tell me how many hours do you think it will take to get from level 20-25?
    And can the iPhone battery last through that gaming session? And still function as a phone for the rest of the day.
    So this is why I say the iPhone is not meant for such strenuous gaming.

Now, other then saying "oh your opinion is naive or strange" is there anything constructive you can say about justifying an exp reduction?

And if I think I'm condescending, well I cannot really change that. I add the smiles in a attempt to lighten the post, but if you still take offence then so be it. I'm not going to be some internet carebear just so someone can go bashing on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My simple point is that grinding for exp is not the only way a game can be entertaining. I used WoW as an example of an MMORPG which has entertainment, even outside of gridning. Both PL and WoW are MMORPGs. Tetris is not a MMORPG. So what is the problem with comparing them? Yes, they are on different consoles so we cannot expect the same standards of a game, but are the core, both games follow the same style of gameplay. It makes sense. Comparing Tetris do not make sense, and neither do you.

The reason why I mention the iPhones battery life is because,
    tell me how many hours do you think it will take to get from level 20-25?
    And can the iPhone battery last through that gaming session? And still function as a phone for the rest of the day.
    So this is why I say the iPhone is not meant for such strenuous gaming.

Now, other then saying "oh your opinion is naive or strange" is there anything constructive you can say about justifying an exp reduction?

And if I think I'm condescending, well I cannot really change that. I add the smiles in a attempt to lighten the post, but if you still take offence then so be it. I'm not going to be some internet carebear just so someone can go bashing on.
    Please try to be more of an internet carebear by adding more smilies because you're really hurting my feelings You are one tough mofo!

Hey, let's agree that neither of us make sense to each other since I'm not sure English is your first or second language, anyway. I'd rather you just add me (dootbird) so we can grind for hours together asap.

See you in game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good thing you settled your differences. let's just enjoy what the game is offering us. let's not waste time debating and let's just hunt for those motherf**ing rare loots!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

God it's finally over! That took me almost an hour reading! Anyways, for the original topic, I like the current level up speed. If it were slower, it would literally become a five hour grindfest that I would rather spend time doing stunts on a motorbike with rockets attached, even if it's a death sentence! (see what I did there? I'd rather be dead IMO!). So, harder leveling, bad idea for the current basis of how this game operates. The only reason I find it fun is because of the looting, broken down. Mmo's in general, all have the same flaw in essence, eventually the grindfest becomes too apparent, and the lack of diversity is too noticeable. That is when people say, "why in gods name did I spend money on this?" and quit. So, if anything, the leveling time should be shortened, but I like it how it is. Frankly, if only maplestory was this easy to level in, by grinding I mean...

Things I think would improve the experience are first off, quests... with loot.
    Second, the dlc give you increments of +10-15 levels per campaign, instead of five. This way the fun stops less abruptly.
    Third, a free loot and random loot toggle button. That way you get what you kill. I have never played an mmo where people invite me to a party and I reject because they don't have free loot toggled on.
    Fourth, a few faster instances.
    Finally, after buying dlc, the level limit shouldn't be there, really, I hate that IMO.