Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My beef with SL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Default My beef with SL

So, I'm kind of new to Star Legends. Well, I played quite a bit when it was first released, but stopped after capping at 26. Recently, I tried picking it up again while waiting for the new PL content to take a break from constant fang runs.

I have some major, IMO, complaints about the dynamic in SL. I'll list them:

1. The economy in SL is terrible. Credits are very hard to come by making simple things like buying stims way too difficult. At level 40 I don't think I should have a dilemma when it comes to whether or not purchase stims. This has to be fixed IMO. At least give better value for liquidating items.

2. The drop rate for valuable items are way too low.

3. Voleria is a huge bust. And not because the content is bad. Its because of the people playing it. I'm not sure, maybe this has something to do with the gear that is available (i.e. farming options), but it is near impossible to join a game in Inner Core or Planetary Mantle that is looking to finish the map. Probably 29 of the last 30 games I joined run through the first leg and remake to grind XP.

4. Grinding 28K xp is harder in Voleria than 100k in Mt Fang in Pocket Legends. Why? Because its so boring due to item 3. I just can't bring myself to grind the XP. Sure, grinding by definition is boring, but when there is the possibility of maybe picking up some good gear it can be interesting.

5. Crafting gear is near impossible for a lot of people because the cost is such a limitation. 35k credits for 1 recipe? Come on. You know how long it takes to build up 35k credits? I feel sorry for the folks that are selling this gear for less than cost of the recipe. Still, not enough ig currency.

These 5 things, I've found, are the things that are really limited the enjoyment of the game. If you want the game to thrive, you need to address the fringe fan more so than the hardcore fan. That's an unfortunate truth. And as it stands now, its not that much fun for the fringe fan.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rare For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Honestly, like you've said, I've been dealing with just the L40 sets and they are fine. And its not so much the crafting part that bothers me. Really, what got me to post this thread was the overall dissatisfaction with Voleria. Maybe people don't like the layout. Like I mentioned, I don't think its the campaign, I think its the people playing. I think its pretty cool. A little "Numa"-esque... but still cool. But its just a grind map. Rarely are there ever any groups that will fight the boss.

Edit: I'm not sure how the popularity of the game is going. It won best MMMORPG. So it must be doing alright. But it seems like its really empty most of the time. Hardly any end game runs going other than to grind.
    Last edited by Rare; 02-20-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atlannie:574409
    2. The drop rate for valuable items are way too low.
    Seen the Vularia drop rates? If you are talking about the legendary gear that's supposed to be legendary in rarity, then I disagree.

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

I still do boss runs with my guildies. If you want a run or two... Or 50, add Abekrie

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cahaun View Post
    Seen the Vularia drop rates? If you are talking about the legendary gear that's supposed to be legendary in rarity, then I disagree.
    I haven't seen a single legendary (pink) drop in Voleria. Of course, that's probably because I've only been able to kill the bosses a few times. I've seen epic drops (purple) every run.

But I wasn't referring to those. I'm referring to valuable items in general. Whether they be green, pink, purple, or vanity. Of course, increasing the drop rates will lower the value of the item. The best solution is to add more credits to the economy by increasing the value of liquidated gear. Allow people to build up a little wealth so they can buy more stims and not break the bank every time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Honestly the only reason I don't play SL is because I can't afford stim health packs... I like the game and the way everything looks but yeah I'm dying simply because I can't afford health packs & I don't like that so I don't play...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Well, maybe i'm reading forums too much but all this 'oh, SL suxx because..' whining starts getting on my nerves..

Hey, Atlannie, you can not earn money on the stims?! O, rly? Don't make my slippers laugh.. There're TONS of ways to solve the situation even without using miners luck elix. Here we go:

1. Find yourself a good friend engie to make runs. If you can't find friend, then join a decent guild. I mean it. We have Yulich in Jedi Council, who is so cool, that even on Voleria i seldom use stims (i don't use them AT ALL on first two maps)

2. You found an engie, but he/she is not THAT cool? Then slow down yo pace! Let the engie heal u twice b4 going to next mob

3. Still can not find an engie? Then make an engie alt especially for farming!

4. You need credits? Go to lower levels and farm there for greens or even orange items for 6-17 lvls. SELL them at the market. Yes, it IS repetitive and YES, sometimes nobody buyes anything, but if yoy plan your timing wise you can get from 200 to 500 creds for oranges and from 1000 to 5000 for greens

5. Make runs on SY boss to get a pink (yes it's rare, but still possible) or purples. Sell them

6. Make runs on second Slouch-o map to get purple armor for 35. Sell it

I can really go on...

The SL economy is terrible?? I don't think so. Inflation is not good thing as in real, so in virtual economies. The amount of zeroes won't solve anything

The droprate of valuables is low? That's why they are valuable! Check the prices for lvl40 armor and you can see what will happen if droprates will b high

Voleria is a bust?? Only because you can't form yo own team and keep joining to grinding pugs? This is just ridiculous

Grinding is boring? YES! Grinding IS boring. The motivation is the cap-vanity-armor. Decide if u want it or not

Crafting recipies are expensive? Yes, they are, but as you noticed you can get already-crafted gear cheaper than the recipies. Also, recipies are being sold on market cheaper. Just have to go there and check often

Play the game more and with diversity. Also use 'search' option on forums to get tips and tricks on doing that and then it will not be that hard to succeed

Peace
    click my sig to join

Got a SCAMMER to REPORT? DO it HERE!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to flashbackflip For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CodyBearr:574438
    Honestly the only reason I don't play SL is because I can't afford stim health packs... I like the game and the way everything looks but yeah I'm dying simply because I can't afford health packs & I don't like that so I don't play...
    Get a good engie and you don't need stims

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cahaun For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

A pl player with beef about xp runs seems silly to me. AO3 had the tomb and all of the shadow cave lvls are rarely finished. Everything else u complained about are the main differences between the two games. I like the economy the way it is. I like that legendary means legendary and not maybe worthless (ao3 pinks). Stim packs ARE more expensive making the game more difficult and frustrating, and for me, more fun. Sounds like u need another pl alt. try lvling with no pots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

All great points flash.

The reason know one does full runs on V1 is because there are no items worth farming on any of the levels. Save for the guns that thyra zael drops. The armors drop all the time if you are level 40. All you need is a good engie to stay alive just like you need a good mage in pocketlegends the same rules apply.

I agree with you Vanity drop rates are to low. Been grinding for 3-4 months and put 30 hours in in the last 4 days and got no reward.

There are no pink drops in voleria. The only known pinks in the game are The Guttersnipe, Nova Blaster, and Electro razor. Something I hope they change in V2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CodyBearr View Post
    Same reason I don't play.....seems it is designed to need plat to survive as I can never afford stims. This is the main thing that drove me away from SL and I guess I'm not the only one <(^_^)>v and good luck to everyone

Engelhard lvl 85 Engelbird lvl 85 Engelbear lvl 85 Engelrhino lvl 85 Engelfox lvl 85 Drahlegne lvl 10 Engeltwink lvl 10 Kitco lvl 10 Engelone lvl 1. And 12 mystery toons <(^_^)>v

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

There is no inflation in SL. STS controls the money. EDIT: "The fractional reserve is used by the US government to change inflation values." You are just seeing the demand, supply, and spending power graph in the game. Simple XYZ chart.

Demand for everything, but stims, is fulfilled forever once the item is received. The market depends on how many new people need that it, not repeat customers.

Supply is purely dictated upon the drop tables.

Spending power is how many credits a player has on hand. Less if they are already saving up for something. Their inventory's value does not mean anything because you liquidate as soon as possible.

Figure out the values, plug them into the graph, and you get a very volatile market that has bubbles, with every expansion, that pop either before, or with luck when, the next expansion occurs.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Dazamo; 02-20-2012 at 06:20 PM.
    PL Characters: Azumel Hapexamendios Dazamo
    SL Characters: Azumel Hapexamendios Dazamo
    DL Characters: Azumel Lilit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aculeas View Post
    There are no pink drops in voleria. The only known pinks in the game are The Guttersnipe, Nova Blaster, and Electro razor. Something I hope they change in V2.
    There r three pinks that drop in slocho. A helm, chestpiece, and boot or gloves I think. All r class specific.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to krazii For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolves:574507
    A pl player with beef about xp runs seems silly to me. AO3 had the tomb and all of the shadow cave lvls are rarely finished. Everything else u complained about are the main differences between the two games. I like the economy the way it is. I like that legendary means legendary and not maybe worthless (ao3 pinks). Stim packs ARE more expensive making the game more difficult and frustrating, and for me, more fun. Sounds like u need another pl alt. try lvling with no pots.
    First, no need to get so defensive.

This is a discussion. If you can't handle criticism of the game, you should leave this thread.

maybe you don't agree with my opinions. That's ok. You're entitled to that. In PL pinks are more common and still very valuable. Nobody said they have to be 80% drop.

Lastly, I don't know you, so don't pretend you know me or how i go about gaming

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flashbackflip:574493
    Well, maybe i'm reading forums too much but all this 'oh, SL suxx because..' whining starts getting on my nerves..
    My suggestion to you is to stop reading them

To elaborate, I never said Star Legends sucks. In fact, i think it could be a great game. If i didn't, I wouldn't waste my time posting here. I would just delete it.

I understand what you are saying and your suggestions. However, as I mentioned in my op, the objective of a successful business is to reach/satisfy the fringe or casual fan. Not JUST the hardcore fan. The casual fan is not interested I'm paying a game that is frustrating to no end.

I have more to say on the subject but no time
    Last edited by Rare; 02-20-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atlannie View Post
    Well, i hope my suggestions will help u to stop 'beefing' them

And since u edited yo post, i'll add some points too:

I did not see any usefull suggestions to make game better - just a bunch of complaints, that's what caused my reaction

Casual fans are not paying that much platinum as hardcore ones, so we have a topic about business objectives to dispute here

Also, casual players aren't bothered by lvl cap. If you do so - you tend to be hardcore. And if you tend to be hardcore, then you better read all those great guides in 'players guides' section of the forums. There you will find much more info than i gave in the post

And anytime you have the time, please take yo time and post smth great in 'suggestions' section where we will disscuss your ideas and will help to make this game better
    Last edited by flashbackflip; 02-20-2012 at 08:42 PM.
    click my sig to join

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flashbackflip:574740
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlannie View Post
    Well, i hope my suggestions will help u to stop 'beefing' them

And since u edited yo post, i'll add some points too:

I did not see any usefull suggestions to make game better - just a bunch of complaints, that's what caused my reaction

Casual fans are not paying that much platinum as hardcore ones, so we have a topic about business objectives to dispute here

Also, casual players aren't bothered by lvl cap. If you do so - you tend to be hardcore. And if you tend to be hardcore, then you better read all those great guides in 'players guides' section of the forums. There you will find much more info than i gave in the post

And anytime you have the time, please take yo time and post smth great in 'suggestions' section where we will disscuss your ideas and will help to make this game better
    Actually, I did provide a simple solution. Increase the liquidation value. Simple.

To your other point, what pays more? 100 people buying 165 play each or one player buying 2000 plat? I'd be willing to bet that ratio is about right.

You mentioned the level cap. That was only a small part of the overall problem I'm talking about. However, i don't think 28k in what? 8 Weeks is very hardcore. Unless you are in voleria where it is dreadfully boring doing runs. I hit the cap during numa (before vanity rewards) and it was a lot more entertaining

This thread wasn't about making a specific suggestion to sts, rather to discuss what others might feel are some shortcomings in the game. That's what we are doing. You don't agree. That's fine.

If i have a suggestion that i want to make, I will certainly post it in the suggestions forum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Yeah, i got it now i guess!

But the increasing liquidation value will help you only with stims.. And that is the least problem.. In fact, no problem at all..

All other prices will go sky in no time reacting to new standarts

And about the math u did: 165x100 is bigger than 2000x1, but why 1? I guess it looks more like 165x100 < 2000x50

Anyway, the dialogue seems to get in loops, so lets hear what others say indeed
    click my sig to join

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flashbackflip:574838

And about the math u did: 165x100 is bigger than 2000x1, but why 1? I guess it looks more like 165x100 < 2000x50
    The reason i said 100-1 is because that seems like a fair ratio. As a casual player, you'd be willing to dish out 20 for 165 plat. not many non hardcore player will dish out 80 for 2000. In fact many hardcore players wouldn't.

So those were just guesses. but i have a feeling its a lot closer to that than 2/1.
    Last edited by Rare; 02-20-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

The current situation with #3 is the same as PL when everyone was waiting for the next cap after lvl 56.
    When I joined (it was a bit late) so everyone had already capped or were farming,
    It was impossible to find a run for those maps where people wanted to finish the whole map
    It was only the first map that was run for XP,
    The rest were not even played or rarely. (These maps were the ones that included bandit king+queen, raid roach, gold fever, I just forgot the name)

So I'd guess its just the natural gaming life cycle, as people find ways to get quick XP, they don't really care about the full map.
    I myself am at fult at that. But when you're working and at uni, I didn't much time to do the full map.
    Other than that, the issue of credits in sl, I fully agree with. I'm guessing its another way sts pushes people to buy stims with platinum.
    I hope you do find a group to do runs with, I often do that with my guild
    If you are ever on, add me on 'Hellcharger' I'll be more than glad to do some runs with you!

the way to change the world is by doing one act of kindness at a time, care to buy some cookies?

PL: Zaltiar Lvl66| SL: Hellcharger/Alibi Lvl 41Com|Zaltiar Lvl38 Op| Warbringer 38