Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: CareFree Forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Lightbulb CareFree Forums

In a world where “97 percent of teenagers play video games” (Sieberg, 2011) you just can’t ignore the younger crowd and expose them to language and other elements that could very well harm the growth of your company and therefore you must take that into account when deciding whether to restrict the language and content that is presented.

SpaceTime Studios continues to do a marvelous job in keeping their forums and game a safe haven for the younger crowd, they are quick to delete posts with vulgar language, sexually oriented content, and otherwise not suitable topics for the younger crowd to view.

Unfortunately, what SpaceTime Studios has not taken into account is that although a percentage of their player base is in fact kids, many are not. According to the ESA (Entertainment Software Association) “Eighty-two percent of gamers are 18 years of age or older” And with “Ninety-three percent of people who make the actual purchase of video games being 18 years of age or older” (ESA) SpaceTime Studios can ill-afford to ignore the older audience.

Without having to constantly police the forums (thus chasing away older clients), how can they keep the younger safe? In my opinion, the best method for going about solving this problem would be to make a separate “adults only” forum to discuss the game and be able to talk freely and express opinions in practically any way that satisfies the adult player.

And I have done just that, I have created a separate forum that is age restricted (18+). In this way, adult gamers of the SpaceTime studios games will be able to go and talk freely without having to worry about what they say and whether it might not be appropriate for the younger audience.

And not unlike the SpaceTime Studios forums, I don’t want a vulgar experience either, so you are asked to respect others, never reveal your personal information, etc (very much like the STS forums rules).

For those of you SpaceTime Studios adult gamers who feel that they need an adult friendly environment in which to chat about STS games, I invite you to join us at www.CareFreeForums.com!!!

Bibliography
    ESA, E. S. (n.d.). Gaming Industry Facts. Retrieved February 23, 2012, from The Entertainment Software Association: http://www.theesa.com/facts/
    Sieberg, D. (2011). Are Video Games Actually Good For Kids? CBS News , 1.

P.S. STS, in no way is this a jab at you guys, rather this is fansite that will let the older members talk freely without having to worry.
    P.P.S. The forums have been privatized, you will now need to signup to view the content (this should take care of any problems Airrie )
    Last edited by DanielRH; 02-24-2012 at 03:21 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DanielRH For This Useful Post:

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

How do you intend to ensure that only an 18 and older audience will have access? I mean that is the real issue here. Having a birthday being a required field will only allow others to lie about their ages. For example, Gamespot asks for birthday to be entered before viewing a video but you can enter anything without proof or otherwise required. I enter January 1, 1901 all the time without any issues. So unless a scan of one’s ID is required as payment for admission, it'll be hard to police this policy. Just as STS only banned users who entered ages under their limit or admitted they are underage, you won't know until it's too late.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Really cool idea! And I am eligible to enter w00t!

I can like say a bad word over there? I can talk how much I drank last night and how crazy stuff I made? I can put Oysters and the-weapon-which-shall-not-be-mentioned everywhere without getting haters?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gluttony View Post
    How do you intend to ensure that only an 18 and older audience will have access? I mean that is the real issue here. Having a birthday being a required field will only allow others to lie about their ages. For example, Gamespot asks for birthday to be entered before viewing a video but you can enter anything without proof or otherwise required. I enter January 1, 1901 all the time without any issues. So unless a scan of one’s ID is required as payment for admission, it'll be hard to police this policy. Just as STS only banned users who entered ages under their limit or admitted they are underage, you won't know until it's too late.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Good idea bro.

EDIT: Doesn't really matter if the people there are truly 18+. Seems like it's just a mature fansite.

Let's make it SPARKLE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Gluttony you make a valid point and all I can say is there is no way to Inforce it besides removing people you find are under the age of 18.

Like any place on the web that are for adults only, there is no way to make sure, you rely on the users truthfulness.

And dudetus, we don't want it to be a forum full of people swearing, so we encourage you not to use vulgar language but it is allowed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

honestly, I don't think separating the community is a good idea. That's just me though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wvhills For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

It won't be seperating the community, just providing a safe haven for the older crowd to chat in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Not a fan of this idea. I think we should all just need to grow up and get along with each other on the STS forums. Just follow this rule....Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Problem Solved.
    (Yes I killed a dev)
    Don't screw with the pew! (not literally) lol
    Active Toons: MoarPewPew,Enrages,PewPewJr
    I award Pew Points.(Keep Track!)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoarPewPew For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I like this.
    I dont think one needs a 18+ cutoff strictly speaking, I empathize with mature teens...
    Certainly, maturity is a greater factor.

I love this.
    so much.

My solutions. Forever.

The issue is the Helicopter Mom role that STS has adopted, an I believe this is a very fair compromise.
    My Name is Vulgarstrike, SilentCries, Ordinary, Attractive, Investment
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    you should be able to have some fun
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnInfinity View Post
    Ahhhhhh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DanielRH View Post
    Gluttony you make a valid point and all I can say is there is no way to Inforce it besides removing people you find are under the age of 18.

Like any place on the web that are for adults only, there is no way to make sure, you rely on the users truthfulness.

And dudetus, we don't want it to be a forum full of people swearing, so we encourage you not to use vulgar language but it is allowed.
    That's what the *BLEEP* I'm *BLEEEEEP* talkin about. *BLEEP* yeah.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MoarPewPew View Post
    Not a fan of this idea. I think we should all just need to grow up and get along with each other on the STS forums. Just follow this rule....Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Problem Solved.
    Your sorta missing the point, the point of this is not so we can be nasty to each other, in fact anyone who does will be removed (that's the one rule I'm inforcing).

But people need a place to let loose and i can understand why sts does not want that on their official forums, but that does not eliminate the need.

And vulgar, I may stick in the thing so that if a kid under 18 can have their parents send in a consent form then he/she can sign up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DanielRH View Post
    In a world where “97 percent of teenagers play video games” (Sieberg, 2011) you just can’t ignore the younger crowd and expose them to language and other elements that could very well harm the growth of your company and therefore you must take that into account when deciding whether to restrict the language and content that is presented.

According to the ESA (Entertainment Software Association) “Eighty-two percent of gamers are 18 years of age or older” And with “Ninety-three percent of people who make the actual purchase of video games being 18 years of age or older” (ESA) SpaceTime Studios can ill-afford to ignore the older audience.
    This entire quote should be added to that age thread in the DL forums haha

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRyder For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Hey Daniel, saw you commenting on that forum also. Wasn't it supposed to be an 18+ forum? Not trying to sound offensive or anything, it was just something that surprised me a bit

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Hey Daniel, saw you commenting on that forum also. Wasn't it supposed to be an 18+ forum? Not trying to sound offensive or anything, it was just something that surprised me a bit
    Yes, and i have my parents consent, they have no problem with it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DanielRH For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

So...what exactly would be the difference? I'm an adult and all but do I want to read a bunch of other adults swearing/saying and posting vulgar things about not getting a drop, a rusher in PvP, etc? On the other hand, I do see it as a way to cut out those who don't carry discussions well, but by separating the communities it's preventing the "less mature" from being taught how to conduct themselves on the forums. I think it's a nice niche community you'll be catering to, but it's not my cup of <insert beverage>

Proud Member of Eclipse
    PL: Rocshana[main, lvl 75]
    AL: Roc [warrior] with my trusty puppy Crescent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roc View Post
    So...what exactly would be the difference? I'm an adult and all but do I want to read a bunch of other adults swearing/saying and posting vulgar things about not getting a drop, a rusher in PvP, etc? On the other hand, I do see it as a way to cut out those who don't carry discussions well, but by separating the communities it's preventing the "less mature" from being taught how to conduct themselves on the forums. I think it's a nice niche community you'll be catering to, but it's not my cup of <insert beverage>
    Haha that's nit really the point, I don't want the vulgar language anymore than you do, but I would like to be able to post my opinions without be shut up. And since I can't do that here, ill do it over there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Let me see if I've got it right...
    Opinions that might be interpreted as negative and/or criticism - Over there.
    Y U No Memes - here.

Am I trackin'?

MimeRifle-Comm/40 | Radaroreilly-Eng/40
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." G.B. Shaw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Haha sorta I s'pose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts

It's fun there. I can say what's on my mind without worrying (:
    Bow Down to a Goddess 👑