Thread: Exposing Vs Reporting ign in forum trades

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

Default Exposing Vs Reporting ign in forum trades

How does one draw the line between "Exposing" and "Reporting/Sharing" an ign you saw?
    (Has it been made clear by the forum community manager in the past?)

I would try to answer my own question, and also follow up with a doubt I have. That said, I would greatly appreciate any further inputs from anyone (especially the forum manager) as it has been quite confusing to me as to what is explicitly allowed and what is explicitly not allowed in forum with multiple people telling me different views. So here's my attempt.

In the context of trading:

Exposing = you are revealing a player's ign about a particular trade or transaction that has never been shared in the "public" (or could it extend to "anyone"?) where everyone could see clearly at what price some items are sold for or bought for and the igns involved for example in a forum's thread. Instead, they are all done in private both in game or in forum. Exposing the igns means an individual reveals these never before shared igns to the public.

Reporting = you are only "resharing" the ign that has already been made known to the public willingly by the ign owner himself/herself, it would not be revealing any new information that has not been shared publicly before, this could be found in forum traders' market, forum discussions, YT videos showing a trade etc.

If the above definitions are accurate (if not, please feel free to add your input on them), my doubt is this:

"(Let's make up an example) While I'm afk in towns, I see people buying and selling a particular item, so I asked the buyer what price are you buying it for and the seller what price are you selling it for. Then, once the seller replies me that particular item is sold, I will then ask who bought the item (ign disclosed to me) and the same thing I will pm the buyer, did you buy at this price? The buyer reply yes.

Now I'm carrying this information (igns) that's willingly been shared by BOTH the seller and the buyer and let's say I share the igns in a forum traders market thread."

Would I be consider as exposing/reporting an ign that has been willingly shared by BOTH/ALL of the owner of these igns, it may not be to the public but say, to a few individuals?
    Last edited by Analytical; 08-03-2020 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Typing mistake

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    334 Posts

Simply ask if you may publicize such for ethical reasons such as confidentiality to an extent.

The situation could be that the seller/buyer would only confirm such to anyone that asks, but wouldn't want it widely shared since the following may happen:

- False accusations for manipulating/being called out for past behavior
    - Being bombarded by pms
    - Being involved with future arguements
    - Unwanted attention or unecessary drama in general

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ilove_Poopoo; 08-03-2020 at 06:48 AM.