Thread: Why don't I see...? (archer combos discussion)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why don't I see...? (archer combos discussion)

...more archers using self combos?

I'm new to the game, been playing for about 2 weeks. My son and I play together, and we started out with chanters. We pretty quickly learned that if you cast the level 12 ice AE and follow it up immediately with the level 10 fire AE, you get a combo on every mob around in you range. I would run in and drop my combo, he'd run in and drop his, and most everything would be dead.

So our thoughts turned to...how do we capitalize on staying alive with gazillions of mobs around us to combo on? Answer: Paladins. So we respecced and rocked it hard for days, had a great time with it.

Then came time for a change. We rolled Birds and went about looking for the combo. Took us a day, but we figured out that the two screams chained together followed by the AE attack (level 6 skill i think?) resulted in a solo combo. 3 skills instead of the two that it takes with the chanter, but not that big a deal.

Problem was, we couldn't get it to repeat often with bowbirds until we figured out that only the mobs who are affected by *both* screams get the combo on them. Answer to that? Get into melee range to unleash the chain of three skills resulting in the combo.

The result? We're both rocking dagger birds, pure dex, wing shields...pretty high survivability, and incredibly awesome damage, especially combined with the combos every 13 seconds.

So why is it that when we group up with others, we are the only archers we ever see doing their own combos? I know we didn't come across anything particularly new here...so why not? Why is it that all of the threads out there about the differences between bows and daggers (and talons for that matter) never mention that using a dagger means that you can combo more mobs every time you drop it?

Does no one care about combos?

TLDR; I combo, most people don't, I don't know why, /cry please feed me info on why they suck and I rock!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It becomes immensely harder as you get to higher lvls to just run in and start dropping screams. Also lots of people prefer the range bows give therefore less dying. As well people want to spend less on mana pots even with mediation I'm assuming you burn through a lot of pots.
    Birdfy- 45 archer
    Elfffy- 25 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah! Well I didn't know, kinda suspected there was some solo combo's, nice to know!

But right, running into a group of high-level mobs with a Dex Bird is suicide -- I use range for survivability. I DO however use dagger/wing when I'm power-leveling in a lower campaign! And I'm totally gonna go rock this combo out tonight!

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

copied from various threads...

I also put the weapon proc notes, since you can combo them, too. I can stomp after my axe frosts them and get a combo. I am still trying to find other weapon proc/skill combos. It doesn't seem to work with staff procs. I can't seem to get a combo between the ice bolt staff and a stomp, for instance.

Shattered = Ice skill (frostbite/Ice storm) + Stomp
    Nature Strike = Root skill + Lightning
    Cruel Blast = ? + Blast shot
    Hot Flash = Ice skill + Firestorm
    Ice melted = Ice skill + Regular Mage attack =/

Frostbite (Enchantress)+Stomp(Warrior)= Shattered
    Root trap(Archer)+ Firestorm(enchantress)= (unknown name)
    Frostbite/icestorm+firestorm=hot flash
    Thorn trap/thorn wall + lightning strike=force of nature

Frostbite/icestorm+firestorm=hot flash
    Thorn trap/thorn wall + lightning strike=force of nature
    ice storm+stomp = shattered
    something(archer) + something (either archer or enchantress) = cruel blow

Weapon Procs

Spears/Tridents - Armour break
    Dark weapons - Nightmare
    Plasma swords - Lightning
    All blasters(?) - Lightning
    Daggers - Bleed DoT
    Hammers - Stun

Lightning/Nightmare - Armour debuff
    Fire - Fire damage(over time?)
    Ice - Freeze

Lightning (plasma swords), break armor (spears and tridents), and nightmare (some dark weapons) all seem to be armor debuffs.
    Fire damage does seem to do damage over time, but like bmc I'm not certain (might be just 1 time damage added on top of weapon damage).
    Freeze freezes
    Bleed (daggers) causes damage over time.
    Stun (hammers, etc) causes temporary incapacitation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

I just recently got Shattering Scream (arm/dmg debuff) to level 5 on my pure Avian and would like to correct something.

Shattering Scream + Blast Shot = "Cruel Blast"

Cruel Blast inflicts sick damage and does NOT require Avian Scream. Also, Avian Scream and Blast Shot alone yeilds no combo. In short: you do not need both screams to combo. And only Shattering works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Right, but do keep 1 level of Avian Scream because you may need it at times to stun and run, especially if they are swarming and they break your armor. Then your only hope to survive is Avian Scream and run like the dickens!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Why don't I see...? (archer combos discussion)

Use Avian scream-Shattering-Then blast shot for good AoE attack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

LOOK AT THE DATE
    pls

Worst sig EU, got bored

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Motivating For This Useful Post: