Thread: Toshiba Qosmio X500 or F60?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Question Toshiba Qosmio X500 or F60?

Hey guys, I was planning to get an affordable, mid range gaming laptop and can't decide between the two.
    I mainly want to get one that can handle games without getting framerates, doesnt overheat too much.
    An okay vide card, processor+ram suitable for the video card. These laptops have been around for 1-2 years
    If there are some tech-y peepz/ or you have owned these laptops, please tell me your thoughts

Here's a few specifications of the two laptops

Qosmio X500
    Qosmio F60
    Processor- Intel Corei7
    Processor Speed- 1.6Ghz
    Hard Drive- 2 x 500GB @ 5400RPM
    RAM- 4GB
    Screen Size- 18.4" (1920x1080)
    Graphics Card- NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M
    OS Windows 7
    Price- More expensive than F60
    Processor- Intel Corei7
    Processor Speed- 3.4Ghz
    Hard Drive- 1 x 500GB @ 5400RPM
    RAM- 4GB
    Screen Size- 15.6" (1366x768)
    Graphics Card- NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    OS Windows 7
    Keyboard- Backlit

Both laptops have older dated graphics card, but are still in class 2 and can take on games
    such as COD4 & WoW at high with 45+ frame rates. I will mainly play LoL and BF3
    The X500 has a larger screen +resolution, has a larger RAM and better graphics card.
    But the processor is slower than the F60, + F60= cheaper and more portable :P
    Currently leaning more to the x500 for its greater performance qualities...but its just so
    darn large, I wont possibly be taking it anywhere. And the 1.6Ghz processor looks like a downer
    Absolutely any comment is appreciated as I will be making the decision quite soon.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Zaltiar; 03-14-2012 at 12:10 AM.

the way to change the world is by doing one act of kindness at a time, care to buy some cookies?

PL: Zaltiar Lvl66| SL: Hellcharger/Alibi Lvl 41Com|Zaltiar Lvl38 Op| Warbringer 38

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

I'll post it on both threads haha. Toshiba isn't great but, I'd say Qosmio, but if you're gaming, I suggest getting a tower and hooking it up to your tv instead of a laptop. You can find an even better more amazing build on NewEgg/TigerDirect for the same price. And when you build it yourself, you have more respect and love for it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

I disagree about Toshiba not being great. Toshiba has been around for a lonnng time, and they put a lot of effort into their laptops. About a year ago I did some research into the leading laptop manufacturing, and toshiba sunk more profits into Research and Development than any other manufacturer. Something like 4% (as opposed to the 1% from Dell/HP). This may not sound like a huge deal, but then take a look at the return rate of each company. Toshiba laptops have THE lowest return rate out of all manufacturers. They are solid and great computers.

Where Toshiba fails however, is in their bloatware. If you buy a Toshiba computer, you can bank on having a task bar absolutely filled up with all sorts of junk that you are not sure if you can remove or not. It is a PITA. But if you just take some time to clean all that crap out, or reimage it yourself, you will be fine.

For me, I would shy away from the processor of the x500 (especially for the higher price), but I do a lot of graphic design, modeling and rendering. If you are just going to be gaming, the speed should be adequate.

Also, based on your comments, the size is a pain point for you. When buying a computer, you need to rely on identifying your pain points. If there is something nagging at the back of your mind when about to purchase a computer... that is a pain point. Something that is really important to you in a computer, but is subtle enough to be able to look over in the moment.

Throw all this together, and I would recommend you buy the Qosmio F60. It has the more optimal size you are looking for. It is cheaper. It has a better graphics card for your games. It has a much faster processor. While a slower processor on the x500 might not affect your games...a lower graphics card will. Qosmio F60
    Last edited by morfic; 03-14-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Let's make it SPARKLE!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to morfic For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Since you can't upgrade the graphics card in most laptops, I would recommend getting the best graphics chip available at the time (that you can afford). Also, you can get away with a slower processor like a 2nd Gen I5 rather than I7 to save money. Don't skimp on memory, get 8GB plus, since 64bit is becoming mainstream. Save some money on the HD and get the smallest capacity you can live with, but shoot for 7200rpm or an SSD if you can afford it. Also an LED LCD display is much nicer and easier on your eyes, plus it uses less electricity.
    Growwle - My guess is 1050

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Thanks for all your responses guys

@Wounded- I'd rather not get a tower right now since I'm not a very uh...computer-y person lol. I do, however, do a lottt of research before purchasing electronics but I would say I'd fall flat on my face if I had to make my own build. Also, a laptop would do okay for me at the moment as I'd want to be able to use it around the house/outside. Bottom line, I dont have the knowledge or time to build a tower desktop, I would love to, but maybe sometime in the future I see myself using a laptop more for its portability. And sorry for double posting the thread from my AOK forum account, lol I hadn't realized I was logged with it.

@Morfic, thanks for the awesome feedback!, I actually thought the graphics card on the F60 fared worse than the x500,
    the x500 has 96 cores (still nothing compared to the super high end graphics cards) while the F60 only has 48 cores. The reason I was stuck on deciding from the two was the fact that although they have similar specs, one has a faster processor (F60 with 3.4) while the other has a better graphics card (x500, if you click on the embedded link, you can find the stats of each card, the GTS20M fares better frame rates on popular games than the GT330M). I also don't mind the size, 18" seems quite large, and if I find it so, I can always keep it as a gaming/home laptop and use my older hp laptop for portability. I'm just worried the processor might affect the gameplay (and if it does, by how much?).
    *Also, on the topic of Toshiba, I've read a lot of reviews stating their customer service is, sorry for my language in adv. sh*t, lol. While they pump out great laptops, if you happen to run into any problems, customer service blows you off, or blows you with $$$ for repairs. This I got from numerous customer reviews, I'm not quite sure it is the same for Australia though.*

So bottom line, (Which I should have mentioned earlier). Should I opt for the better graphics card or the faster processor.
    I looked around for the answer, but never got a straight answer. Depending on the situation, which should I be picking?

@Growwle
    What exactly the 7200rpm signify? I've read many reviews where they say go for it but since I dont know what that affects/does, I didnt really focus on it.

BTW guys, I do my main research on notebookcheck.net it has reviews of every component/laptop and you can benchmark with others easily.

the way to change the world is by doing one act of kindness at a time, care to buy some cookies?

PL: Zaltiar Lvl66| SL: Hellcharger/Alibi Lvl 41Com|Zaltiar Lvl38 Op| Warbringer 38

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by morfic View Post
    I disagree about Toshiba not being great. Toshiba has been around for a lonnng time, and they put a lot of effort into their laptops. About a year ago I did some research into the leading laptop manufacturing, and toshiba sunk more profits into Research and Development than any other manufacturer. Something like 4% (as opposed to the 1% from Dell/HP). This may not sound like a huge deal, but then take a look at the return rate of each company. Toshiba laptops have THE lowest return rate out of all manufacturers. They are solid and great computers.

Where Toshiba fails however, is in their bloatware. If you buy a Toshiba computer, you can bank on having a task bar absolutely filled up with all sorts of junk that you are not sure if you can remove or not. It is a PITA. But if you just take some time to clean all that crap out, or reimage it yourself, you will be fine.

For me, I would shy away from the processor of the x500 (especially for the higher price), but I do a lot of graphic design, modeling and rendering. If you are just going to be gaming, the speed should be adequate.

Also, based on your comments, the size is a pain point for you. When buying a computer, you need to rely on identifying your pain points. If there is something nagging at the back of your mind when about to purchase a computer... that is a pain point. Something that is really important to you in a computer, but is subtle enough to be able to look over in the moment.

Throw all this together, and I would recommend you buy the Qosmio F60. It has the more optimal size you are looking for. It is cheaper. It has a better graphics card for your games. It has a much faster processor. While a slower processor on the x500 might not affect your games...a lower graphics card will. Qosmio F60
    That may be true, but I have seen many Toshiba and from, at least my experience, they have an awful life span (the newer models anyway) and kid of a junk motherboard....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

sorry for the ridiculous amounts of questions guys , I really do appreciate the feedback since I dont want to spend my saved up moneyz on a cruddy laptop bahaha, one of the main reasons I stayed back the summer and worked my butt off. If anyone owns a bike (as in motorcycles), I'll be bombarding you with questions on specs and what not soon hohoho

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WoundedEagle View Post
    That may be true, but I have seen many Toshiba and from, at least my experience, they have an awful life span (the newer models anyway) and kid of a junk motherboard....
    In your perspective, what laptop (brand) would you say gives the best bang for your buck? or that you can rely on.
    Personally I've only ever bought HP laptops, and from experience, it was pretty crappy. Every laptop always overheated so fast, had to take them to the repairs numerous times. It has a nice shiny fancy name, but its just that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

7200 rpm is how fast the plates in your HD spin, basically it means that the HD can transfer more data, faster than a 5400 rpm HD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zaltiar View Post
    In your perspective, what laptop (brand) would you say gives the best bang for your buck? or that you can rely on.
    Personally I've only ever bought HP laptops, and from experience, it was pretty crappy. Every laptop always overheated so fast, had to take them to the repairs numerous times. It has a nice shiny fancy name, but its just that.
    I completely agree. The HP I currently own always has a processor overheating issue. Though I have a nifty little air compressor to cool it off haha. The only time I see it get hot is when it is sleeping for days at a time, always plugged in.

You will be gaming, correct? Then I suggest Asus. They have the best 'bang for your buck' when it comes to gaming. I messed around with the Asus G74SX. The thing is a behemoth at everything. It's insane, but they have a huge selection of gaming laptops. My point is gaming laptops are built to last, and game. And of course for gaming, you need a good battery, a high-def screen, a fast processor, a epic graphics card, and a nice sound card. Just saying, check them out:

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/

Unfortunately, consumers often mistake Asus, with Acer. COMPletely different (see what I did there?).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

I would agree with Wounded on the Asus laptops. Everything they do is awesome. They also make THE best motherboards (imo).

Let's make it SPARKLE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

So....after taking everyone's advice into consideration. I went and searched for another laptop, Wounded, the G74SX hurts my pocket a little more than I would like to, and I still havent bout this semester's uni books :0. Although looking at the specs, it does seem like it has great standards. There's another laptop I'm keeping my eye on, its the Asus N61 or the N53TA

N61 has-
    Video Card: ATI HD5730M (which is far better than both the Toshiba X500 and F60) stands somewhere in the upper class 2 graphic cards.
    Processor- Corei5 @ 2.26GHz, it is still a 5400rpm HD though
    and is 16"

Lol, so its exactly a mix between the X500 and F60 in terms of performance. Although I must admit, it doesnt look as sexy.
    What do you guys think? Still got my eye on the toshiba beauties though =_=

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

That is the graphics card right? Hm, I might but then again, I don't want to take apart the laptop, mess something up and pay for a new one again :/

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

To be honest, I wouldn't buy something for looks. If you want looks, buy a Mac . The N61 sounds nice. I'll look it up when I get home. you could always have a professional do the graphics card replacement.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to WoundedEagle For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zaltiar:591566
    So....after taking everyone's advice into consideration. I went and searched for another laptop, Wounded, the G74SX hurts my pocket a little more than I would like to, and I still havent bout this semester's uni books :0. Although looking at the specs, it does seem like it has great standards. There's another laptop I'm keeping my eye on, its the Asus N61 or the N53TA

N61 has-
    Video Card: ATI HD5730M (which is far better than both the Toshiba X500 and F60) stands somewhere in the upper class 2 graphic cards.
    Processor- Corei5 @ 2.26GHz, it is still a 5400rpm HD though
    and is 16"

Lol, so its exactly a mix between the X500 and F60 in terms of performance. Although I must admit, it doesnt look as sexy.
    What do you guys think? Still got my eye on the toshiba beauties though =_=
    Make sure it has 8GB RAM, otherwise it looks good, wish I had cash for one.

Also, 5400 rpm is not too bad, just means things will load more slowly, but more RAM will make it so the computer does not need to access the HD as often and will help make up for this.
    Last edited by Growwle; 03-15-2012 at 10:55 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Growwle For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Righto! Thanks for all the feedback guys :) really helped me pick out my choice
    decided to go with the F60 (I might try to change the graphics card and ram), course, I bought the N61 aswell for my sister lmao (hopefully she never uses it so I can have two laptops >:D)
    <3