Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boycott Scatterbears: A short rant by a proper tank.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Boycott Scatterbears: A short rant by a proper tank.

I have been doing lots of balefort sewer runs lately, as I've just hit level 50 recently. I'd like to immediately point out that I'm no pro - clearly I dont have a level 66, I'm not running with uber gear, and I dont know everything there is to know about PL, including tanking. But one of the first things I did when I started playing PL was read the forums.

I noticed that my chosen class (the bear) was probably one of the more difficult classes to play. I didn't do a lot of damage, and really I didnt seem to stay alive THAT much longer than other classes. Dang, I thought to myself, I really chose wrong! I knew the bear was supposed to be a tank and not damage dealer, but it seemed like my poor bear eas useless in both categories. So I turned to the forums around my first week or so of playing, and found (I think it was Tankaar) Tankaar's guide to being a tank in balefort sewers.

Now first off, balefort sewers sounded crazy difficult and complicated. I instantly wanted to be there. But it was a long way off. Still, i thought i could glean some knowledge from the jnfo provided and apply it to the earlier stages. Boy am i glad i did. I learned alot. My idea of what a tank is/was in PL was way off, and it turns out being a tank in PL is just as difficult as your average pc MMO.

Much like other MMO's, being a tank in PL involves constantly being aware of whats going on, always being in the front, and always maintaining control. Unlike other MMO's crowd control and mob placement is solely a bears responsibility. Without a good bear doing what hes supposed to be doing (among other things, chugging potions), high level non-elixired runs quickly turn to s***. I was a little overwhelmed at first, but the concept is relatively simple. Find mobs, taunt, find wall/corner, beckon into it, stomp them into wall/corner, then hellscream. CB the hardest hitting mobs if possible. Repeat if necessary. It took me a little while to get this down consistantly (admittedly I didnt really start doing this until halfway into AO2, and had it down by AO3), but once I did, runs went so smoothly. The mages/birds who knew how to play often thanked me or sent friend requests, and my gameplay experience improved greatly. I finally felt like my bear was worth something, and my many hours of play were paying off. I'd occasionally run into a bear who liked to screw things up, often somehow hitting beckon at the exact moment i did (read: think newtons law, only fubar'd and on aliens), but it seemed few and far between, and often times the offending bear would listen when i explained why we beckon into walls/corners, and either stop screwing off or stop beckoning altogether. Finally i managed to hit level 50, arm myself with mystery armor and helm, and march off to Balefort Sewers, a big grin on my face for finally making it to a REAL run. The horrors i experienced there will leave scars that run deep.

Its not that the sewers are particularly difficult - sure, some of the bosses can be tough, and those dam exploding grates are a pain - but overall the difficulty of the trash mobs is only mediocre. With ironblood, evade, and taunt running, I could survive all but the largest groups of mobs without even downing a potion. Even with ironblood and evade off, taunt, hellscream, a strategically placed cb and a heal from a mage were usually enough to get through any encounter unscathed. Until i met my mortal enemy... The scatterbear.

You've all seen them. You've all read about them. They run around flailing their arms, hitting beckon like a fat kid hits his mother when she wont buy him candy. They spam stomp like they are listening to 'hammer time' and the world will end if they dont stop - spammer time - everytime stomp pops up. They think taunt is a waste of time. Their rntire focus is on doing whatever the hell they want because 'they can play the game their way', which is fine if they are playing solo. But this is like saying you can go into a crowded airport and just start screaming that noise jim carrey makes in dumb and dumber 'because u can'. Sure, you can absolutely do that, but just like in PL, in real life you are part of a society, and generally speaking that society doesnt like obnoxious people. If you did that IRL people would think youre either insane, mentally handicapped, or just plain rude, obnoxious, and dumb. Someone would probably politely ask you to stop, maybe multiple someones, and if you kept going eventually you could even be arrested for causing a disturbance. A minor crime, to be sure, but one that would still require people in uniforms with guns to come and tell you to shut the f*** up. Or some good samaratin with a strong right hook would just knock you out. Whichever came first.

Unfortunately, in PL, the equivalent of the police or a fist in the face is the 'boot' button. Something i rarely have control over as i tend to not host games, it can be hard for me to get a full run going late at night when im usually playing, so i just join one instead. And when that scatterbear walks in, theres nothing i can do. Oftentimes these are pick up games, and there is no host or the host doesnt care. The worst part about the scatterbear is their arrogance. Being ignorant of something is always ok - id never fault someone for genuinely not understanding what they are supposed to be doing - but when someone politely explains to you how to effectively play your class (and lets be honest, bears are really only good at this one thing) and you ignore it, or worse, tell them they are wrong, you cross from ignorance into stupidity. Here are some sample responses ive recieved in my short time in the sewers:
    "shutup noob"

"i can play how i want noob, u just suck"

"f u. Ur bear is awful u dont kno what ur talking about"

And these arent even the worst ones. The guy who made that last comment actually ended up deciding to check out the tank guide. He admitted he didnt want to at first because he didnt need a guide to tell him how to play. And also that he didnt like to read. For some reason, I wasnt surprised.

This has become so common im starting to get frustrated at PL. You may ask why i even care. The simple answer is this: i worked hard to build a bear centered around tanking. I spent many hours learning how to do it properly so that i could make runs move quickly and efficiently, so that everything dies, people earn fast xp, and im the only one chugging potions. For someone to waltz in and utterly fail at their chosen class (most dont even have taunt) and simultaneously ruin the task of mine is very frustrating. Im not trying to say this is the end of the world, and im not some elitest prick who thinks hes better than everyone else (im clearly not), but if youre going to invest hours and hours into getting a character to level 50, i think you should know how to play your class, or gtfo. This s*** wouldnt fly in a traditional MMO, but i think it happens here because this one is free. Also, i feel the average age of the player base is a little younger (im not saying kids are arrogant and stupid its just.... Well, yes, actually im saying that most of them are. I was once 11 too).

Someone please save me. If youre still running balefort sewers, boycott scatterbears. Explain politely how to tank properly, or point them to the tank guide. If they give some smart-assed reply or ignore you, boot them with reason: lrn2tank/read/think/listen/lrn. If this happens enough these idiots will finally get it. In the meantime, if you have a character still running.sewers and need a smart, slightly funny(sometimes), on the ball tank who knows what hes doing, go ahead and send me a request and lets do some leveling-farming. This old grizzly bear would greatly appreciate it (k so im not that old, but having two kids certainly makes me feel that way). And show those scatterbears they need to shape up and listen to the people who know that your underwear goes UNDERNEATH your pants, not over them (unless youre superman, in which case you can do whatever the f*** you want. Or Chuck Norris).

BOYCOTT SCATTERBEARS!!!

IGN:Gotrocks. - 51 Tank
    gotstorms - 35 glass cannon
    gotguns - 5 paper handgun

***edit*** my appologies for typos, i was doing this on my phone so kinda hard to go back and edit spelling. Also, understand that this was meant to be a little overdramatic, or else it wouldnt really be interesting. Scatterbears havent ruined my real life, they are just really, really annoying, and do screw up my enjoyment of the game. Thanks.for reading my 'short' rant
    Last edited by gotrocks420; 03-15-2012 at 07:35 AM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gotrocks420 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Default Boycott Scatterbears: A short rant by a proper tank.

Wow, I'm switching back to bear. I saw a lvl 54 beat clear boggy waters. O.O

"...And may the odds be ever in your favor." ~Effie Trinket

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gotrocks420 View Post
    but if youre going to invest hours and hours into getting a character to level 50, i think you should know how to play your class
    Oh, I wish.

I too started a bear (twice) and each time became so frustrated with others players understanding of what their "jobs" are in combination with a tank, that I abandoned it. I think the bear is the hardest character to play of all of them. I have a love/hate relationship with bears. They can make a run a joyous bloodbath and save my little bird feathers from certain death OR they can scatter the mobs about with such abandonment that I hardly know where I am shooting or what is shooting at me so I end up dead, dead, dead. Long live the scatterbear

One thing I will say is that I think the technique of bears at higher levels seems to be much better. I suspect this is because there are so many good players that won't tolerate a bad tank and they boot them. Or maybe I am just entering PUGs and getting lucky with good bears. But, for certain, lower level maps have too many bad ones. I absolutely cringe when more than one bear enters a dungeon. Certain death awaits. The swamps are an especially bad place to be with more than one scatterbear.

So - keep playing, GotRocks. We need more good tanks! Know that your experience will get better. Feel free to add one of my characters (shhh - add Magykx - level 56 mage - don't tell anyone it's me). I am running the sewers more than usual these days. I like the sewers. Nothing like exploding barrels and fire grates to get the blood stirring

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Actona679 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Thanks guys! And thanks for the thanks. Its good to know that im not the only one that feels thid way

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Last edited by Cytokinesis; 03-15-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Ok well as far as "short rants" go i couldn't read this..lol it's a book

K after reading your post i am on your side, my first char was a bear who is now 57 and dual spec str/dex. I loved tanking with him, and at one time had tons of invites per game for a good tank, i know focus more on my pally getting 56 glyph drops, but i plan on making a return with my bear to show these youngsters how it's done, i'm not saying i'm the best either, and i'm not old enough to call them youngsters haha, but i was a scatterbear at one time (very shortly) too, and i'm glad i could learn the difference. Hey add my pally coltonadkins for sewer runs, i'm trying to farm a raid set for pvp and selling, working on recurve ATM.
    Last edited by Coltona; 03-15-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

I I I I I Scatter bear! We'll when enemy's are in 2 opposite directions anyways. Also whenever I'm in a good group I make an effort not to scatter! Also theres also 2 good bears sometimes and we pull to different corners. Also if u ask me everyone has a little scatter bear in them. Don't hate thread no point we all know we hate scatter bears like me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud Member of:
    <The Community Guild> PL Chars: Sryyoulose L76, swept L10
    SL Chars: Sryyoulose L40, Affair L28, XPLX L20

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cytokinesis View Post

Yes without a doubt LOL (For any newbs reading this DO NOT READ THAT GUIDE!)

And in response to sryyoulose, if there are two bears in a group i really believe there should be a designated tank so that things dont get confusing. The problem with trying to pull mobs into two seperate corners is that it doesnt really work that way. One bear pulls jnto one corner, the other bear tries to pull into another corner and ends up scattering all the mobs in between the two bears. Also, if theres two groups of mobs your party should really only be focusing on one. If you want to pull both groups its better to have one bear run in between the two and pull all the mobs into one corner. If you seperate the two groups youre basically having to divide your attention between the groups, and killing them slower. Or not at all. The bottom line is, you either need to have a designated tank or both tanks need to coordinate where they are going to pull the mobs so they dont end up scattering the mobs everywhere. Basically both bears need to be standing in the same place when they beckon.
    Last edited by gotrocks420; 03-15-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

Rename: A looong rant xD

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elyseon For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

OK, first let me start by saying i only read about half your novel. .

However, I feel your pain. scatter bears give all bears a very bad name. In fact, I've often been booted just for being the second bear. You gotta take the good with the bad.

IMO bears are the funnest class to play. When things go smoothly, it is awesome.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Add me ign: Scatterbear

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StompArtist For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

Shoot me a request, I'll be glad to help you out

-PK

-------AEO-------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts

And in response to sryyoulose, if there are two bears in a group i really believe there should be a designated tank so that things dont get confusing.
    Really the only practical way to handle it is to have only one bear responsible for "first contact" gathering mobs and getting things set up. The other ones need to be cognizant of this and just stay out of the way. Once the mobs are gathered, the other bears could do a second taunt/stomp wave just to add to the stun effect, but basically they're just on mop-up duty at that point finishing the mobs off. At all costs, the other bears have to avoid screwing things up, so really I think the simplest thing to do is just don't ever hit beckon or stomp.

The easiest thing to do is have one bear be the lead for the whole run. If there are two bears who are good at coordinating, they can "leapfrog" each other, taking turns being first into each wave. A good rule for a bear is to keep track of any others and react accordingly. If the other bear is out in front, assume he's handling it and stay out of the way. If you're fortunate enough to have a competent player behind the other bear, he'll do the same when you're out in front. I've found a surprising amount of cooperation with other bears that works just like this, although it wasn't until I got near level cap. So take heart, there are better bears near endgame.

The other trick you can use is to try to stay in front aggressively. Even if you have an incompetent bear in the group, you can make it a point to move ahead to the next area very quickly so you can get things in hand before the other one can arrive and screw things up too badly. If you've already got the mobs collected and stunned before he arrives, odds are better he'll not be able to scatter them as badly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Yay the great pumpkin returns ). Anyway same here bud, hit me up anytime I'll help out. No matter how stringy sewers was to me stronghold is one of my fav maps to tank.

Ign kylardordan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

For me pug running I'll lay back and off tank till I get a feel for my partner then its all realizing ur turn to taunt and help out on becon. N scatter bear situation I do aggressively lead and group before scatter beat can mess up.
    Now n the case of running with friends like necro, hanko, and jj, we all know pretty much where the other is going cause we use most of the same beacon points. So we trade off taunts and double becon everything n the area to the same point. It's awesome to watch two ppl work and pull exact same time and no one n the mob gets away. Total destruction and fast. Those three r some of my favs to run with add my fav mage angel and some good birds, jj being and hanko being that too, and everything is utterly destroyed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Long live scatter bears!!

Pm me ing if u need any questions about tanking: scatterbear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Lol love the name. Know some pretty good scatters myself lol. Mr str being the king lmao

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Op, i full heartedly support you and your wonderful rant.

My main toon is a 45 pure dex bird. I have spent a full two weeks leveling him with no elixers, using PUGs. 5 times out of 5.0001 times, there was a scatterbear. No matter what i told him, asked him, or anything'd (lol) him, they never stopped being a scatterbear. They have slowed down my progress in PL so much, that i honestly think i couldve been 66 and a half if these bears did their job right.

Before i ever play a mmo, i check the forums. Heading to the guides section, i saw guides on how to play each char, and their builds, so i chose which class i wanted by these guides. Looking at the bear, it seemed that he was an severely expert class, that required serious effort. This was not, and may never be the class for me. I knew that if i touched a bear, i would play him wrong, and cause your rant to occur. I knew i would f*** up so many peoples days. So i chose a bird.

That Was a wonderful rant, OP, and deserves a sticky in my honest opinion.
    PL ~ Mrkrone - FluxPlumage - CrushedHope - CrushedDream - CrushedMind ~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

hey... :-/ dont call these guys out it isnt a sin to be a scatter bear :-/ it just isnt a very good strategy. plz edit and delete the names on here
    EVERYONE'S FAVORITE APPLE
    \Down with the Rep!/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Appleisaac:592412

hey... :-/ dont call these guys out it isnt a sin to be a scatter bear :-/ it just isnt a very good strategy. plz edit and delete the names on here
    Gotrocks420, OP, was not calling anyone out. He was putting HIS IGNs.
    PL ~ Mrkrone - FluxPlumage - CrushedHope - CrushedDream - CrushedMind ~