Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Official Dark Legends Feedback Thread - Energy Mechanic (increased drop rates coming)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The increased drop rates have helped. Thank you.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

The long timers impede your progress and they are always toward the end to add insult to injury. It would be much better if you could have access to all of the missions as soon as you enter a new campaign instead of only seeing up to 4 at a time; that way you could get the long timers going first thing instead of having to slowly unlock each short section. In the Outskirts, for instance, you have to spend 26 energy plus a 5 min wait in order unlock the next four missions. The second block (3 missions only), requires 16 energy and a 2h 30m wait. Block 3 needs 22 energy and 9h. Finally, you get to block four and realize that there is a mission that requires a day to finish.

I just don't really enjoy the way that it's set up currently. I understand that the idea is to make the game play as a natural progression of things, examine items and find clues in order to move on to the next task sort of Scooby-Doo in nature (jinkies) but having to watch a timer tick down before moving on to the next set of task is tedious. Didn't PL get away from the locked levels in the campaigns for a reason, why bring it back now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cjon View Post
    Definitely true. Yesterday I started grinding with 5 energy, and ended up playing for a good 45-60min before my energy ran out. Today I got 9 energy just from one mission.
    9 energy. ur just dam lucky. the most i got out of it is 4 energy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gluttony View Post
    The long timers impede your progress and they are always toward the end to add insult to injury. It would be much better if you could have access to all of the missions as soon as you enter a new campaign instead of only seeing up to 4 at a time; that way you could get the long timers going first thing instead of having to slowly unlock each short section. In the Outskirts, for instance, you have to spend 26 energy plus a 5 min wait in order unlock the next four missions. The second block (3 missions only), requires 16 energy and a 2h 30m wait. Block 3 needs 22 energy and 9h. Finally, you get to block four and realize that there is a mission that requires a day to finish.

I just don't really enjoy the way that it's set up currently. I understand that the idea is to make the game play as a natural progression of things, examine items and find clues in order to move on to the next task sort of Scooby-Doo in nature (jinkies) but having to watch a timer tick down before moving on to the next set of task is tedious. Didn't PL get away from the locked levels in the campaigns for a reason, why bring it back now?
    I can understand ur point but u got PL and SL a similar game. DL is totally different, i like it. This way u have to grind for items and money or else u cant progress any further cos ur too weak in items and also in lvl. You end up getting stuck in 1 map and u probably end up getting frustrated and piss cos u couldnt progress and keep on dying. Then u probably end up quitting the game cos of unbalance then u probably complaint to the forum about all this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Or to help pace the game, make the 3d maps cost no energy, but increase the amount of energy it costs to do the cut scenes to unlock more maps. This would mean only being able to do a few that cost energy and then being able to farm previous maps waiting for your timers to run out, essentially pacing the game to a slower standard, and allowing us to level more efficiently, keeping players in the game. If this were the case I would have no problems with the high plat prices, lol I enjoy playing so much I'd gladly spend money for vanities, weapons, bloodpacks, or whatever else there is.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RaijinSama View Post
    I can understand ur point but u got PL and SL a similar game. DL is totally different, i like it. This way u have to grind for items and money or else u cant progress any further cos ur too weak in items and also in lvl. You end up getting stuck in 1 map and u probably end up getting frustrated and piss cos u couldnt progress and keep on dying. Then u probably end up quitting the game cos of unbalance then u probably complaint to the forum about all this.
    Depends on your definition of grind, a player could actually level all the way to cap without having to enter a dungeon at all. Sure they would have to spend plat to bypass the dungeon type missions but other than that, they can start the timers and just sit back and watch the exp roll in. Also, the enemies scale with the player, so a L3 will face easier enemies than a L12 no matter the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Coltongadkins View Post
    Or to help pace the game, make the 3d maps cost no energy, but increase the amount of energy it costs to do the cut scenes to unlock more maps. This would mean only being able to do a few that cost energy and then being able to farm previous maps waiting for your timers to run out, essentially pacing the game to a slower standard, and allowing us to level more efficiently, keeping players in the game. If this were the case I would have no problems with the high plat prices, lol I enjoy playing so much I'd gladly spend money for vanities, weapons, bloodpacks, or whatever else there is.
    They increased the amount of energy that drops, the 3D maps only cost 3 energy to enter and I have played for hours starting with only 10 energy and still didn't run out in the end. I know that may not be the case for everyone, but the change certainly did help the playability imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    Hey folks,

We realize that the Energy mechanic is controversial, but it is designed to do many things, and is core to this game.

Part of the design is to pace the game, and part of it is to bring you back to towne to socialize between tearing humans to shreds.

That being said, we know you'd like more, so tomorrow morning we will be increasing the drop rate of energy 5X in the 3D dungeons.

We'd like to continue the energy discussion here, and thank you for keeping it constructive.

- g

PS: We'd also love your feedback on what else to do in towne while you recharge: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...trict-feedback).
    If the purpose of the energy mechanic is to pace the game and to bring players back to town to social and is core to the game why is more energy available for plat?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Generally speaking, I'm not having as many issues with Energy anymore. Yes, I still blow through it quickly, but I've adjusted my play style to farm combat missions, pvp and then advance when mission timers are up. I'm having so much fun now (especially with pvp), I've bought plat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper McGee View Post
    Generally speaking, I'm not having as many issues with Energy anymore. Yes, I still blow through it quickly, but I've adjusted my play style to farm combat missions, pvp and then advance when mission timers are up. I'm having so much fun now (especially with pvp), I've bought plat.
    Completely agree. It takes a bit of adjustment, but I have no significant issues with the energy mechanic. I feel like they did an amazing job on the energy mechanic.
    Cjon - Lvl 21!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

I feel ripped off...When I am in a dungeon with bad lag, I cannot leave because then I lose my energy. When my ping is below 100, as soon as I step into combat, it lags. and guess what? I DIE AND MISS THE BOSS Racking up deaths and losing possible pink drops:/

Proud Member of AEO (PL) and Sparkling Pwnies (SL)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beanmachine:622076
    I feel ripped off...When I am in a dungeon with bad lag, I cannot leave because then I lose my energy. When my ping is below 100, as soon as I step into combat, it lags. and guess what? I DIE AND MISS THE BOSS Racking up deaths and losing possible pink drops:/

Don't worry, the drop rate for pinks is abysmally low. Getting upset about losing a chance for a pink drop is like getting upset that you did not win the lottery, or that Bill Gates did not come to your door and hand you a million dollar check, just because.
    Growwle - My guess is 1050

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beanmachine View Post
    iam pretty sure they looking into about drop outs and energy wastage. maybe next patch will help us on that. they did awesome job on helping us with energy very quickly so, very soon they will fix the drop out problem.

GOOD JOB AWESOME GAME

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elyseon View Post
    Maybe increase players energy max as they level?
    I agree as you level your energy cap would raise a few points

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RaijinSama View Post
    That kind of ignorance is why micromanagement in video games even exists. While there are incredible amounts to be said, even casual games can be played specifically one way for hours if chosen to be.

While my contemplations for an adequate refinement of dark legends system is not yet complete, the energy MECHANIC itself is not a problem. However, its implementation hinders the general satisfaction of the game and a true solution is needed in the future.
    Last edited by Zil; 04-19-2012 at 01:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

after not really beeing convinced at first im starting to really enjoy it. The missions usually drop energie and some other ones do too so i still have the chance to play a lil longer if i want to, and if i dont i can just let them do their work for 2 hours and come back when i have time again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

energy mechanic is the best idea evar. only thing is it should make you wanna wait

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Thumbs up

I have absolutely no problem with the energy system in general, energy recharge wait times nor the longer non-combat (what I call passive missions or passives) waits. I think STS has done a great job there, I love the way DL plays in these regards. My main, Nyx is 20, will hit the cap in no more than a week or two and only has 3 more areas to finish - what's so terribly slow and painful about that?

I'm glad it's not like PL and SL where kids and people who don't work full time can obsessively play 24 hours a day and be the 'elite' because they have absolutely no life (quoting from South Park again.)

There is strategy to how you use the passives (what everyone else calls 'cutscenes') versus the combat missions - that was missing in PL/SL, those games are just about spamming 24x365 and I haven't played them since DL came out (and didn't play much in the few months before because I was losing interest.)

I noticed the increased drop rate but thought I was just getting lucky, good job on that STS. (Seems like pink drop rate has decreased lately though, too bad.)

If I were going to suggest anything about energy I'd say let us keep the energy from drops when we're maxed. It could be in the form of your energy total temporarily increasing beyond 25 or non-tradable, non-stashable (but not counting against inventory slots) energy pots you can use as needed.) Many people have complained about getting an energy drop when they are full, being able to not lose the drop is the only place I think the energy system could use a change. My guild co-leader made a suggestion I think is great also - any energy beyond your max that you have when you log out is lost, you have to use it in your current session.

For the long passives - maybe there could be an elite optional mission for the 1 day waits where you could potentially avoid the wait, if you can beat the elite mission?

(And I want a vampire banana! )

For some background - I've had a great time playing many games where similar energy systems were in place, like Castle Age on Facebook. That system has consumable energy and stamina that are used for all sorts of missions. I started playing that game less because it became less interesting - not because of the energy system but because it is all static graphics, no action/animation and no compelling storyline. Plus it goes on for hundreds of levels - my character there is something like level 300 - and just gets boring playing a homogenous, actionless game that goes on forever.

For DL I could see it going on to several hundred levels so long as story line and character development go with it - the action, graphics, storyline, powers, etc. make all the difference.
    2.718281828459045235360287471352662497757247093699 95957496696762772407663035354759457138217852516642 74274663919320030599218174135966290435729003342952 60595630738132328

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Energy is not really a problem. The worst case scenerio is that you wait 15 minutes between runs.

You can run a 25/25 meter 8 times back to back...well 9 time really considering it would take at least 10 minutes to run that which would recover the additional points to run it the extra time.

The energy mechanic is fine. DL wasn't intended for the hardcore gamer. There are other games for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

I don't have any problems with the energy system. For one thing, it forces people to take a break from gaming. You can't blame DL if you didn't get something done, because you can do your stuff (homework, bills, etc) while waiting for energy.

I do like the long timers. It took me about a month to get from level 1 to 21 and unlock all the campaigns. Without the timers and with unlimited energy, I would be done it in a couple of days.

The other alternative is to give tiny amounts of experience, and expect you to grind 24/7. Do you really want that?