Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public appeal for Rep removal

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Default Public appeal for Rep removal

Reputation system is destroying these forums.

At the beginning I thought it was a fun system: I was able to express if I liked someone's post. We all were all excited about it in the beginning. But to what direction it has been steering these forums nowadays...

Rep seems to be all that matters nowadays. For some it means thing to be pursued for. And some hunt down the ones to whom the rep matters while do-gooders (not trying to offend) come and defend the thread maker hoping for improvement and encouraging the maker most commonly without any hope. By this I mean this:

Guy X makes a ridiculous guide/list clearly just to earn himself some spare thanks. Guy Z comes in and states the real purpose of the "guide" and after that Guy C comes and defends Guy X. Then comes the flame war...

Besides this fact reputation system makes newcomers harder to be accustomed with others and to be heared. Rep system favors those with more thanks and those without any of them remain often unnoticed and unheared. Like if I say some idea in a thread and just after me a newcomer says even better idea, it's most likely my thread would get more views and overall attention than some new one's better thread about the same excact thing. Not the best example but I am sure u get the point.

But the biggest problem is the pursue of reputation and thanks by some. When I daily scroll down the General Discussion section there must be at least 2 guides which are usually not that much of a use. This is done most likely to pursue GoA or AoA as an example but some see the rep system as a bypass to fame. Take a look of DL forums: On the very first day of DL release we had full page of diffirent guides and item lists on general discussion. On the very first day! It took months for PL forums to develop that many guides/lists.

There'll be more...
    Last edited by dudetus; 04-17-2012 at 01:38 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dudetus For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

GoA, SG and the future DL community reward systems give the wrong image of the meaning of the forums. They are things to pursue for some alongside with the reputation system. If it was up to me, I would just bury them. If ppl r willing to help, they will, even though they were not rewarded. But for me the Reputation system is a bigger "threat".

What I want u to do is to comment this thread if u want to help me pursuing the change. If the thread causes enough of discussion it will be noticed and hopefully my idea gets reviewed and the changes will come

I know all of u agree with me if ur intentions are right here in the forums. If u disagree it only shows ur real intentions to be here...

And yes, don't u dare to thank me.
    Last edited by dudetus; 04-17-2012 at 01:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

*gives rep*

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Otukura For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

Yup, it needs to go.

"Annie are you okay? Are you okay? Are you okay Annie?" - The King of Pop, Michael Jackson
    Down With the Rep

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lowlyspy For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

I sign this ever important petition to remove reputation points from the STS forums!
    L15 Mage - Certificates. L12 Behr - Certificate. L15 Teamer Mage - Duuq

THE DUUQS WILL RULE.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ninjaduck For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Rep was never the problem and never will be. I don't sign the petition...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMicah For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah:622137
    Rep was never the problem and never will be. I don't sign the petition...
    Well tell me what is the problem? If there is any from ur pov.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Well, if people keep making junk-as guides, let them. Let them waste their time. What's an extra thread for a forum of thousands?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorBlitz:622156
    Well, if people keep making junk-as guides, let them. Let them waste their time. What's an extra thread for a forum of thousands?
    The problem are not the junk guides but the discussion which they cause. Flame wars always hurt the atmosphere of the community and nowadays ppl r seemingly frustrated and reveal their true opinions instead of just ignoring. Enough is enough for all of us it seems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Just signed it by saying this. It needs to go if it can fix the forums.

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

@Dudetus flame wars don't come from bad threads built in an attempt to get rep. They come from people who argue. People will always argue regardless of a rep system.

This is the same argument as "guns don't kill people. People kill people."

You are removing the gun. That won't solve much.

~MM

Edit: not trying to troll lol just so many people have said the same thing about the rep and I can't disagree more strongly.
    Last edited by MightyMicah; 04-17-2012 at 05:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dudetus View Post
    Reputation system is destroying these forums.

At the beginning I thought it was a fun system: I was able to express if I liked someone's post. We all were all excited about it in the beginning. But to what direction it has been steering these forums nowadays...

Rep seems to be all that matters nowadays. For some it means thing to be pursued for. And some hunt down the ones to whom the rep matters while do-gooders (not trying to offend) come and defend the thread maker hoping for improvement and encouraging the maker most commonly without any hope. By this I mean this:

Guy X makes a ridiculous guide/list clearly just to earn himself some spare thanks. Guy Z comes in and states the real purpose of the "guide" and after that Guy C comes and defends Guy X. Then comes the flame war...

Besides this fact reputation system makes newcomers harder to be accustomed with others and to be heared. Rep system favors those with more thanks and those without any of them remain often unnoticed and unheared. Like if I say some idea in a thread and just after me a newcomer says even better idea, it's most likely my thread would get more views and overall attention than some new one's better thread about the same excact thing. Not the best example but I am sure u get the point.

But the biggest problem is the pursue of reputation and thanks by some. When I daily scroll down the General Discussion section there must be at least 2 guides which are usually not that much of a use. This is done most likely to pursue GoA or AoA as an example but some see the rep system as a bypass to fame. Take a look of DL forums: On the very first day of DL release we had full page of diffirent guides and item lists on general discussion. On the very first day! It took months for PL forums to develop that many guides/lists.

There'll be more...
    I like few points such as a new member with better idea are likely to be ignored.But on the point on guides etc. i would say yes some people just want to be famous or out of the crowd.I mean no one needs a list for pinks and wepons etc.,they all are already shown on the each map and also with % of drops.DL does not need a guide atleast not now.People like those will always make sure that their voice is more loud.I dont comment on those threads unless i see any use.

On the other hand some people are only helping and nothing else.Reputation points and thanks does not matter to me.I will still help if i can wether i get any 'thanks' or not.So it doesnt matter if its removed or not.

There are lot more people who want to make an opinion or simply help than the people who post for a 'thank'.

+1 for you,i am out of thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

People are making useless/unneeded threads only for the motivation of rep. Also, the same people post boost, and ask for thanks.

What is the motivation? Do you really think they want to help people with NO self-benefit?
    L15 Mage - Certificates. L12 Behr - Certificate. L15 Teamer Mage - Duuq

THE DUUQS WILL RULE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah View Post
    @Dudetus flame wars don't come from bad threads built in an attempt to get rep. They come from people who argue. People will always argue regardless of a rep system.

~MM

Edit: not trying to troll lol just so many people have said the same thing about the rep and I can't disagree more strongly.
    Haha Well said

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaduck View Post
    People are making useless/unneeded threads only for the motivation of rep. Also, the same people post boost, and ask for thanks.

What is the motivation? Do you really think they want to help people with NO self-benefit?
    Many people do help w/o self-benefit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

I was about to give you rep... :P but what would that mean in a thread like this? O.o
    EVERYONE'S FAVORITE APPLE
    \Down with the Rep!/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

While I generally agree, I don't think rep is the entirety of the problem. If rep were removed there would still be the idea of GOA AOA AOB (not that I'm calling these a prob.), or simply attention for attentions sake. Its a human nature thing, one in the group would like the rest to be looking (that's not directed at anyone in pertic.)
    Last edited by Suentous PO; 04-17-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah:622179

~MM

Bad guides give ppl a reason to start a an argue. Yes, some would keep on arguing even though there wasn't reputation system. But I've seen renowned forum users and players to be part of these argues which is REALLY uncommon for them to do so. As I've already said enough is enough for all of us.

As for ur metaphore, I have to disagree.

I am not trying to remove a gun, I am trying to stop pouring gasoline into flames.

Reputation system causes more damage to the community than it's removal could ever cause.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    313 Posts

I could do with our without the rep system. I only use the forum app now, so I can't see rep anyways.

posts that are looking for thanks used to bug me a lot more. especially around the time when sts announced they were bringing more people into the aoa program. Idk. Maybe I'm numb to it now, but when I see a "rep boosting" post, I just kinda laugh and move on.
    gf.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Suentous PO:622309
    While I generally agree, I don't think rep is the entirety of the problem. If rep were removed there would still be the idea of GOA AOA AOB (not that I'm calling these a prob.), or simply attention for attentions sake. Its a human nature thing, one in the group would like the rest to be looking (that's not directed at anyone in pertic.)
    Yes, reputation system is not the only thing that can be blaimed. Reputation system still is the major thing that should be removed because it harms the community most.

GoA and SG give wrong image of the forums. They seem to offer something to pursue which normally implements as diffirent bad guides and so fort.

AoA and AoB are important programs and they should not be removed. Helping new players is a humble cause and those programs have my full support.