Thread: My opinions on Dark Legends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Default My opinions on Dark Legends

Let me first say that I am an avid fan of Spacetime Studios and their "Legends" games. Now to cut through the rest of the bull I can't say how disappointed I am with Dark Legends. This isn't supposed to be a flaming thread as I genuinely want to hear feedback that dispels some major problems I have with the game.

Lets talk about money. I mean after all, thats what its all about, right? Who would dispute that? I'm sure the employees of STS LOVE what they do but something tells me they wouldn't do it for free. ;D Now as a player, I have spent amounts of money large enough to make me feel sheepishly embarrassed for myself. I've never regretted a dime I've spent and have always enjoyed the games.

Whats with the energy thing? I guess the question is: What purpose does it serve? I can't imagine its purpose would be to slow players down. Anyone in their right mind could understand what a horrendous concept that would be. I mean after all, if you have to slow players down then that's like boldly telling your audience you don't have enough material for them to play. Besides, you can't pace progression within a player community evenly and except it to be agreeable for the players. Some people can spend more time (unlike me) and shouldn't have content witheld as a result. But alas, this is a problem easily solved with platinum, right?

Playing the game, you almost get the sense that the user interface was created around selling the game rather than playing the game. The ease in which things can be purchased from the AI goes beyond convenient. Frankly, it goes beyond pushy. There's a "+" sign at the end of EVERY bar at the top of the screen! Energy, coins, platinum, geez...even EXPERIENCE!

What's up with the whole map screen itself? Why are we doing this arbitrary connect the dots, do a click-mission, put me on time-out sort of thing? Where people offering feedback that suggested that simply playing the game, killing creatures, and gathering treasure was a little to arduous for their style? Again....what...is its purpose, and what does it bring to the game?

Also, unless I'm mistaken there is only one playable class in the game? One class, one wielding style, one skill tree.

I dunno. I wanna believe that this game is some sort of breakthrough but perhaps I'm misunderstanding. As of right now it just feels like any other dollar grinding game like GLU makes; its just wearing a STS T-shirt.

so far..so disappointed.
    Last edited by Justg; 04-19-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Now with less drama!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

This game is about selling.

Although, it's a really cool concept on how it syncs with android and chrome. It's not amazing or anything but I think it's innovative of how it works together with the web and mobile, and really think this game is a great step in app development.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

You only see "extortion" because you want to rush the game and use every pay option you can, and you want those options to be cheaper...

You hate the energy system because you play these games like they were a crack-pipe, and if you are not getting your fix a soon as you want it, then that is a big problem for you...

Well, you can enjoy this game for free very nicely. And if you learn to manage your energy properly, you can play the 3d missions for a long, long time running while still advancing your overall plot...

Personally, I love this game, the feel of it, the slowly advancing plot, the mature feel of the story..... Everything!

Thanks STS !

PS- when I said "you" I didn't mean you personally. More of an overall you...

in game name: GIMBOID lvl 66 Archer Yeah, I'm SRINGY, Get over it!
    Totally indifferent member of FAIL
    INHALE RAGE EXHALE VENGEANCE...THERE IS NO FNORD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

umm, it's hard to reply here without knowing how much you have played dark legends itself and how familiar you have got to game itself.
    Did choose couple main points from your post where would like to tell my personal opinion what's pretty much answering your questions and something you could over think.

What's up with the whole map screen itself? Why are we doing this arbitrary connect the dots, do a click-mission, put me on time-out sort of thing? Where people offering feedback that suggested that simply playing the game, killing creatures, and gathering treasure was a little to arduous for their style? Again....what...is its purpose, and what does it bring to the game?

Also, unless I'm mistaken there is only one playable class in the game? I mean this is where I want to be embarrassed for being so wrong, but seriously? One class, one wielding style, one skill tree.
    non playable missions were bit weird and annoying for me too, for a first couple days. Now on I have learned use them effectively.
    you ask what's purpose and what the bring to game... For me they bring possibility to level up while im at work, I can quickly tap instant missions instead of playing longer game sessions. Same would go anyone who is at school, work or any other activity what you need to be in and can't play game or least not for long.

One class only you said, one skill tree you said.... Well reason behind one class is skill tree for sure. It's one skill tree, but every player have possibility build their skill tree up with usable and passive skills. At the end builds will be similar because of pvp but still gives lot of different kind if builds you can create, mainly because of passive skills.
    Pocket legends: Eagle (Endgame Bird), Magic (endgame mage), Getnuked (voodoo mage)
    Star legends: Eng (Engineer), Rapid (operative)
    Dark legends: Sucker (vampire queen)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

The energy is exactlly about slowing players down. Why? Because they want the casual to midcore player to enjoy the game. Because lets face it, the hardcore gamer is the small minority. For a successful business you want to attack the largest portion of fanbase, which is the middle. Nobody wants to play a game where its near impossible to be on the same playing field as other players.

Now, for hardcore gamers, they have the option of spending a little extra to advance faster.

This is the way it should be if you want to be successful.

Let me also add this, I consider myself a hardcore gamer when it comes to the three STS titles (or at least 2, PL and DL). I have had no problem with energy in Dark Legends. Granted, I can't sit there and play for 5 straight hours without spending plat, but I don't do that anyway. I can play for an hour or two with ease. Take a break, then come back and do it again. Its really about using your energy wisely. Again, I have no problem with it and actually love the system.

As Darkfader said above me, the non-mission actions can be used to take advantage of your energy when you don't have a lot of time to play. I think this was genius from STS. For example, in PL, I could log on and do a couple runs, but it doesn't do anything for me. I'm not going to earn much playing 10 minutes and doing one or two runs. In Dark Legends, I can complete almost as much experience wise in 5 minutes that I can in an hour. I think its great.
    Last edited by Rare; 04-19-2012 at 08:15 AM.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rare For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfader View Post
    non playable missions were bit weird and annoying for me too, for a first couple days. Now on I have learned use them effectively.
    you ask what's purpose and what the bring to game... For me they bring possibility to level up while im at work, I can quickly tap instant missions instead of playing longer game sessions. Same would go anyone who is at school, work or any other activity what you need to be in and can't play game or least not for long.
    This hit's the nail on the head for me. I work a lot during the week, but I always have 2 mins. To click auto missions.
    This last week, I have been doing just that, each day I have about 35 automissions ready to be collected. Then when I am ready to play I run 2 map missions to reduce energy, then start harvesting the automissions. by stopping when I get a couple enhancers,(like 15min 2x damage, 2x armor, 5mis run speed etc.) then using it upon a map mission again, my free to play experience increased significantly. I can get 2-3 hours of map mission play, and about 1000 xp a day like that, with a small investment of my time compared to the grinding of the other games.

And lets face a fact, do we really want another full time game like PL or SL? I don't have time for 2 full time games. DL offers a flexibility that SL and PL do not IMO. I didn't like it at first but since playing it a while I have found ways to use it to my advantage.

As far as the other issues you have it is perspective I think. The only thing I think I really will need plat for is to complete the acheivements.
    Clothes, multiple auction listings, just to name a couple off the top of my head right now, require platinum to complete.
    For that I guess I will need to save up from the free offers.

IMO, this is great for a 2nd game to play along with SL or PL, but at least for me, it's not a replacement for either.

KillaSkillz- my guess 8312

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfader View Post
    ... with usable and passive skills.
    Speaking of the passive skills. Those are great. I remember suggesting in the chatbox that STS should have done something like that. I said "Man, they should have passive skills". Then someone said, "Hey Aedenos, you idiot, its already there." And I was like "Oh cool"... to paraphrase.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

I really enjoy logging on in the morning to spend energy and then going off to do RL stuff during the day while all those missions tick down so I can get some buffs later when I'm ready to collect.

Love it.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Killaskills said it perfect.

I have a full time career and a family to take care of. With this energy system and mix of auto and playable missions I don't miss out on anything. People like myself can't invest hours and hours into grinding for experience because of real life priorities. Dark Legends caters to the hardcore and casual crowd.

I think they hit the nail on the head with DL and will have my long term support. Thanks!
    Last edited by Exar0s; 04-19-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Dark Legends - Exaros - Level 18

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

DL is different from sl and pl and they did a good job

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

I appreciate everyone's feedback though I remain baffled. I guess I just don't understand how removing gameplay is an acceptable substitute for playing the game. Caffeine pills won't replace coffee in my lifetime because I enjoy the act of drinking the coffee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

I take the pills and the coffee!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DontNerfMeBro View Post
    I appreciate everyone's feedback though I remain baffled. I guess I just don't understand how removing gameplay is an acceptable substitute for playing the game. Caffeine pills won't replace coffee in my lifetime because I enjoy the act of drinking the coffee.
    What you don't realize is DL is more leaning towards to Adult community, a quick-game on the go. Like Farmville or other Zynga titles. I know a lot of friends that have transferred from the old Zynga games to STS just for DL and they love the fact you can do all these things and interact with the community. Something Zynga will never offer. Not is DL just about getting max level but it's more a social community to unite players and talk about random things or if you're always busy it's great game to pop up and waste time with.

And like many others said, I'm a hardcore gamer myself I only play MMOs and it's not usually the mobile MMO's I play I'm on about the Asian grind fest games. Games purely for PC, And to be honest with you. DL is a great break from stressing out my fingers grinding all day for 0.05% exp or some other percentage at least I know I can actually gain a level in a day and not take a month to get one level or just half a bar.
    So no, Energy is not the issue. nor is platinum. DL is built to be a game on the go. Not a game you sit down and play 5 to 10 hours a day to get somewhere.
    Last edited by Shuri; 04-21-2012 at 12:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shuri View Post
    What you don't realize is DL is more leaning towards to Adult community, a quick-game on the go. Like Farmville or other Zynga titles. I know a lot of friends that have transferred from the old Zynga games to STS just for DL and they love the fact you can do all these things and interact with the community. Something Zynga will never offer. Not is DL just about getting max level but it's more a social community to unite players and talk about random things or if you're always busy it's great game to pop up and waste time with.

And like many others said, I'm a hardcore gamer myself I only play MMOs and it's not usually the mobile MMO's I play I'm on about the Asian grind fest games. Games purely for PC, And to be honest with you. DL is a great break from stressing out my fingers grinding all day for 0.05% exp or some other percentage at least I know I can actually gain a level in a day and not take a month to get one level or just half a bar.
    So no, Energy is not the issue. nor is platinum. DL is built to be a game on the go. Not a game you sit down and play 5 to 10 hours a day to get somewhere.
    Hmm...a quick-game on the go? Well, I guess if you just can't stand those pesky micro-moments during the day that occur between injections of impulsive self stimulation, this game is perfect. They really shouldn't have named the game in accordance to the Legends line because it's a grave disappointment if you're expecting that sort of depth.

I'd love to hear the developers explanation of why they've piggy backed off of their popular, familiar titles and released this completely skeletonized, stripped down, lazy, and vanity-mall driven replica without warning the faithful.
    One class? ONE skill tree? Geez people...wake up.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DontNerfMeBro For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Lol at the gain a lvl in a day comment..
    You do realize that these are just the starting lvls right?
    Do you actually expect that you will be able to gain lvls this easy once the cap gets raised a few times?

And yeah, if you like dating sites then this community is great, the few times that I've been ingame I got the standard asl questions from a multitude of people.

So no, energy is not an issue.. for now..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

Hmm...a quick-game on the go? Well, I guess if you just can't stand those pesky micro-moments during the day that occur between injections of impulsive self stimulation, this game is perfect. They really shouldn't have named the game in accordance to the Legends line because it's a grave disappointment if you're expecting that sort of depth.

I'd love to hear the developers explanation of why they've piggy backed off of their popular, familiar titles and released this completely skeletonized, stripped down, lazy, and vanity-mall driven replica without warning the faithful.
    If you don't like it, uninstall and go to alterra....
    Pocket legends: Eagle (Endgame Bird), Magic (endgame mage), Getnuked (voodoo mage)
    Star legends: Eng (Engineer), Rapid (operative)
    Dark legends: Sucker (vampire queen)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkfader For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

One class one skill?
    You don't realize that this game has a "gem" Feature what enables you to be more than one class I think you're looking for race specific not class. there is no actual class in this it's player choice depending on gem location, as for the one skill system that makes completely no sense, I understand you dislike the fact you can only be a vampire but the fact of the matter is. This game is still new and in development and not completely out of BETA yet.
    And what I'm talking about when I say gem system is that different gems will allow you to act differently in game. I.E. if you go full attack gems you're clearly wanting to be a high damage low health class. DPS, if you go full health gems you'll become a tank. It's a simple mechanic that gaming developers use when they don't want a game to be so armour dependant and allow the player free choice instead of having a piece of gear that adds X amount to a stat it's gems. However you don't need to use high level gems to be able to play your role.

I understand your mall-driven argument however everything apart from platinum items can be gained without spending money in-game although platinum items can also be gained if you desire to get that free and fill your phone with things. As for it being not accordance to the 'Legends' title, STS did say they're trying to branch off into new games and this is clearly one of the branches, Just because it has the honourable title of legend doesn't mean it won't go anywhere or let down the legends title. Again, Still in development so you never know what STS could do with DL.

Not trying to argue or flame but more to the point that this games in BETA and all BETA games start somewhere and don't always come complete off the bat.

And Exion, With proper energy management, It's possible. And I know these are the starting levels. I'm on about levels 1 to 20 it's possible considering at 20 things start getting enjoyable so after that obviously the game will slow down, All MMO games do it just to show you what it has to offer.