Thread: Is the best gear in this game going to come from real money purchases?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Default Is the best gear in this game going to come from real money purchases?

Just curious...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Way too early to tell. Currently the best weapons are obtained by platinum chests but that is not a real indicator of the future. The game is young, a lot of features have not been implemented (guilds, iOS release, level increase etc.). If it is anything like SL and PL then no. At the same time though, DL cators to a different kind of crowd so who knows? STS is a business, but they are a business who appears to care about their customer relations, so I have faith that they will do what is best for us, them, and DL in the long term.

Dark Legends - Exaros - Level 18

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Does it matter? Since this isn't a game in which competition really matters, such as a straight up PvP game, it's not like it's pay-to-win. Heck, I've got a plat legendary weapon and I have my head handed to me in PvP and PvE on a regular basis.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper McGee View Post
    Does it matter? Since this isn't a game in which competition really matters, such as a straight up PvP game, it's not like it's pay-to-win. Heck, I've got a plat legendary weapon and I have my head handed to me in PvP and PvE on a regular basis.
    Well that's kinda what I'm getting at. If pvp becomes competitive is it going to be pay-to-win? Making the best gear available for real money purchase has always been a criticism in mmos, because it undermines the efforts of those who earn the loot through in-game accomplishments. If they do make the best gear only accessible for purchase, then a ton of people will just play energy rotation on the non-playable mission till max level then buy the best gear. Also, it'd kill the in-game economy because it'd just easier, and better, to take the 30 seconds to buy the gear superior to guy that's been grinding for weeks to build his set, then pwn the crap out of him.

Making the best gear purchasable would totally cheapen the game, and really just takes the point out of the endgame.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blaquehaaart For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blaquehaaart View Post
    Well that's kinda what I'm getting at. If pvp becomes competitive is it going to be pay-to-win? Making the best gear available for real money purchase has always been a criticism in mmos, because it undermines the efforts of those who earn the loot through in-game accomplishments. If they do make the best gear only accessible for purchase, then a ton of people will just play energy rotation on the non-playable mission till max level then buy the best gear. Also, it'd kill the in-game economy because it'd just easier, and better, to take the 30 seconds to buy the gear superior to guy that's been grinding for weeks to build his set, then pwn the crap out of him.

Making the best gear purchasable would totally cheapen the game, and really just takes the point out of the endgame.
    Words of wisdom right there my friend. Since STS has already dished out tons of plat equipment now, I think that for the next level cap raise, they should get rid of the OP plat gear.

Proud Member of AEO (PL) and Sparkling Pwnies (SL)!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Yeah, I just bought some and it's a huge difference. Currently, you can't be competitive without it. Maybe make the best gear lootable, but make the missions that are required to get it very difficult to get without it.