Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ripper's definition of F2P - how does it apply to Dark Legends?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    I do agree that it would be good to have one definition of the term F2P. I think you are being too restrictive. To me, and I bet to most of the people who use the term, it does not mean that plat gear has to be inferior to gear that drops. I do like it that way, but it's not part of the definition of F2P.

For most people, I think it just has to be possible to reach level cap for free.
    That's definitely simpler, and I think it's probably accurate, but what is it that lets you reach the level cap for free? No content content roped off, no levels blocked for non-paying members and not being forced to purchase items. Can you reach the level cap in Dark Legends for free? We'll have to see, but it would appear so. In the examples of the other "F2P" games I gave, that is most definitely not the case, yet their developers/studios market them as "f2p". Alganon forces you to pay to advance past level 30 and Wizard101 forces you to pay in order to even fully complete the initial "world", much less access any of the other worlds. According to their developers/studios, simply being able to "play" free, regardless what you're playing, makes their games F2P.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Yeah, they are just allowing you to sample their games. That's not the same.

STS is pretty cool this way. But they used to only let you play PL to level 13, then you had to pay. Elixir sales must be pretty good.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper McGee View Post
    Now that in-game gear is comparable to plat gear, can anybody really argue that DL is pay-to-win? It seems like the game meets all three of my criteria for being a true F2P.
    Items are not comparable in the end game. The only way to get lvl 21 pinks is through plat...you can't farm it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blaquehaaart View Post
    Items are not comparable in the end game. The only way to get lvl 21 pinks is through plat...you can't farm it.
    Is that simply because there's only level 1 - 20 content and gear, currently? Once you hit level 21, do you continue to earn experience? Are none of the items you loot level 21?