Thread: Suggestion - Area/Level Builder (expanding to Equipment, Weapons and Even Mobs)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Suggestion - Area/Level Builder (expanding to Equipment, Weapons and Even Mobs)

I don't know if it's been suggested before (and forgive me if it has) but it would be very cool to be able to deisgn your own areas/levels and share them with other players. I've seen similar things on a few iDevice apps before so I'm sure it's possible.

If it were implemented, I guess it could be done several ways - firstly just to allow players to make areas/levels and then for them to share them with the world (let's call this the "informal" method), or alternatively for areas created to be sumbitted to a central team of checkers/validators, etc. before it's incorporated in the game (let's call this the "formal" method).

Personally I'd prefer the formal method as it would ensure the quality of areas added. Minimum requirements could obviously be incorporated into both who could create areas/levels but also what is required for it to be considered for use.

I'd also dare to suggest that Spacetime Studios charge a minimal amount for each user added area, just as they do today for their areas, but perhaps keep the price down to the minimum of 0.99c or £0.59 for an area or even group of areas.

I'm sure there are many of us out there with ideas of area/level designs using existing mobs, bosses and gold chests and it would be an excellent way to keep the game moving along, as I'm sure there is a balance for the developers thinking "do we add feature X, Y and Z?" or "do we make a new area/level?".

Over time this could even be expanded to enable users to create/develop equiment and weapons and perhaps even mobs, again with appropriate checking for suitableness.

As a final thought, perhaps if the concept is thought to be good, but not the idea of allowing almost any user to get involved, perhaps the developers could seek out a few key interested parties simply to create areas/levels on their behalf - unpaid work, but with the understanding that the areas are to be implemented into the game at a minimal cost.

I don't know about you, but I like the idea.
    AL: Aardzol (lvl 25 Sorcerer) | PL: Spiritualist (lvl 50 Mage)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

map design is a lot more intricate than you think; I have developed maps on the source engine of half life 2 for team fortress 2 using hammer software. if this idea is implemented the devs would have to create an internal software so map making can be done by anyone, and most of the stuff will have to be preset. I can't see this working successfully on pocket legends in the next 3 years.
    My Name is Vulgarstrike, SilentCries, Ordinary, Attractive, Investment
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    you should be able to have some fun
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnInfinity View Post
    Ahhhhhh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But how do the devs make maps today?
    AL: Aardzol (lvl 25 Sorcerer) | PL: Spiritualist (lvl 50 Mage)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualist View Post
    But how do the devs make maps today?
    very intently focused for days and possibly weeks, and with professionals like cinco
    My Name is Vulgarstrike, SilentCries, Ordinary, Attractive, Investment
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    you should be able to have some fun
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnInfinity View Post
    Ahhhhhh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The developers would have their own form of not-so-user-friendly map making software, to adapt it/write one for customers to use would take time. Plus you would have all of the added work load from checking submissions, many of which are sure to be unacceptable.

Spawn placement would take time, and if it was left up to the player could be unbalanced.

Not to mention the amount of clutter to the campaign screen from various submissions. Personally I'd rather have maps from the developers, but perhaps some competitions for level design (drawn or modeled; not requiring a mapping kit).

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

I don't know if it's been suggested before (and forgive me if it has) but it would be very cool to be able to deisgn your own areas/levels and share them with other players. I've seen similar things on a few iDevice apps before so I'm sure it's possible.
    The maps you are referring to are individual files that stand alone program would lode. Pocket Legends maps are hosted on and loaded from the central server, and it would be far to dangerous to give users the power to design something with that kind of access and reach.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

I don't know if it's been suggested before (and forgive me if it has)
    You are forgiven
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...-Zone-Builders
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.