Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Tie shouldn't exist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    150 Posts

What about people that just run lb for the awards and never consider going for a tie. Now their stuff isnt as rare ect because u got 20 people getting it instead of 10. Thats the worst part about it, and ties should not be allowed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

ahhh oh dear >.<

Everyones been posting this and that but at the end of it all there is only really 2 truths here.

1. In reality there isn't anything wrong with the leaderboards.

2. Only issue here really is yourselves.

(before people get annoyed or salty reading that please read on a bit more)

The reason for the 2 truths above is this, let's say I actually one day choose to get focused, committed, and push through with sheer will and get to 1st position during an event leaderboard. Then I get a pm/housemail from someone who happens to also manage to do exactly the same saying...

"hello bud, we've both tied for 1st position so how about we stop running so we both get 1st"

Now the leaderboard isn't broken because it's representing the effort(of course be it running or paying w/e) that was needed just to get up there. If someone else besides myself has done exactly the same whos to deny them their efforts just because it was a day or two late ?

Why even the top player leaderboards as mentioned already here are fine as it shows everyone who simply made the effort to gain all the apps.

So leaderboards are fine, on to the 2nd truth...

That message I received about tieing for 1st position... I could choose to accept and stop running so we both run, or I take it upon myself to run that much more to make sure I do finish 1st.

Now if I did accept, just like the person messaging me... what guarantees is there that neither of us won't run more? maybe I got the pm to stop me running so I could be overtaken? maybe it is a genuine person?

It all boils down to a gamble.

You could win a friend for the next run or you might lose your leaderboard position that you worked so hard for.

No one is obligated to have to tie with anyone, could call it simply a nice thing to do but at the end of the day but it doesn't mean your not a nice person just because you choose to not tie and want to bear the fruits of your own labor.

So if a gamble didn't work out, bite the bullet, accept your losses and make it be a lesson learned.

Fool me once, shame on you
    Fool me twice, shame on me

So stop wasting your energy on the bad and put it to use on the good ^.^

1 <3
    Godfather of Arlor
    HSGuild.com | HS Thread | H.O.F | HS Store | HS Discord

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BaronB View Post
    ahhh oh dear >.<

Everyones been posting this and that but at the end of it all there is only really 2 truths here.

1. In reality there isn't anything wrong with the leaderboards.

2. Only issue here really is yourselves.

(before people get annoyed or salty reading that please read on a bit more)

The reason for the 2 truths above is this, let's say I actually one day choose to get focused, committed, and push through with sheer will and get to 1st position during an event leaderboard. Then I get a pm/housemail from someone who happens to also manage to do exactly the same saying...

"hello bud, we've both tied for 1st position so how about we stop running so we both get 1st"

Now the leaderboard isn't broken because it's representing the effort(of course be it running or paying w/e) that was needed just to get up there. If someone else besides myself has done exactly the same whos to deny them their efforts just because it was a day or two late ?

Why even the top player leaderboards as mentioned already here are fine as it shows everyone who simply made the effort to gain all the apps.

So leaderboards are fine, on to the 2nd truth...

That message I received about tieing for 1st position... I could choose to accept and stop running so we both run, or I take it upon myself to run that much more to make sure I do finish 1st.

Now if I did accept, just like the person messaging me... what guarantees is there that neither of us won't run more? maybe I got the pm to stop me running so I could be overtaken? maybe it is a genuine person?

It all boils down to a gamble.

You could win a friend for the next run or you might lose your leaderboard position that you worked so hard for.

No one is obligated to have to tie with anyone, could call it simply a nice thing to do but at the end of the day but it doesn't mean your not a nice person just because you choose to not tie and want to bear the fruits of your own labor.

So if a gamble didn't work out, bite the bullet, accept your losses and make it be a lesson learned.

Fool me once, shame on you
    Fool me twice, shame on me

So stop wasting your energy on the bad and put it to use on the good ^.^

1 <3
    Very well said Boss B!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Its not just that. This is an issue needed to fix. The excitement for the leaderboards is one what we need to admit that through time it is fading.

Sent from my vivo 1811 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kennethchiua View Post
    Its not just that. This is an issue needed to fix. The excitement for the leaderboards is one what we need to admit that through time it is fading.

The only "issue that needed fixing" is next time someone pms you saying "oh do you want to tie" just say no.

The only legit argument would be to have "first come first serve" for event leaderboards however what if someone gets a head start because I live in a timezone where getting online start of an event would be at like 2-5am for me?

Not fair. so that's the issue with that so no good.

There is plenty of excitement for leaderboards, if not then no one would bother reading this thread.
    Godfather of Arlor

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BaronB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Default Tie shouldn't exist

It has been like that since the beginning. There’s nothing to fix lol🥱

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

I find it amusing that most people posting on this thread don't run lb events, yes there are some but I don't see the lb players complaining. Why complain if you aren't competing grow up a little
    -Atoned
    The measure of intelligence is the ability to change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

this crusade of eliminating ties keeps popping up post event, if you’re too keen on a “no ties” stand, just make sure to be there every event with your “no ties” pals and crash their party. If you’re not running for LB, the nice thing to do is quit whining and let the LB peeps decide what they wanna do. If sts allows ties, it follows that tieing is not “unethical”. If other games does not allow ties, you cant use that as a standard and impose the same on AL. AL is NOT the other games.
    Up and down, over and through, back around, the jokes on you!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Svvords For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Svvords View Post
    this crusade of eliminating ties keeps popping up post event, if you’re too keen on a “no ties” stand, just make sure to be there every event with your “no ties” pals and crash their party. If you’re not running for LB, the nice thing to do is quit whining and let the LB peeps decide what they wanna do. If sts allows ties, it follows that tieing is not “unethical”. If other games does not allow ties, you cant use that as a standard and impose the same on AL. AL is NOT the other games.
    Very well said papi! I hope the thread maker finally understand the point that AL is AL, dont compare it to real life situations or in any other games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

The only "issue that needed fixing" is next time someone pms you saying "oh do you want to tie" just say no.

The only legit argument would be to have "first come first serve" for event leaderboards however what if someone gets a head start because I live in a timezone where getting online start of an event would be at like 2-5am for me?

Not fair. so that's the issue with that so no good.

There is plenty of excitement for leaderboards, if not then no one would bother reading this thread.
    It has been mentioned to add hidden random decimal places to points.

They would be so small that it won't affect your points much.

If someone has 200.0008 points, and the person below him has 200.0007 points, the person above would be ahead in ranking. Only 200 would be shown, but they won't be tied.

If the person below gets more points, he would jump ahead. There's no way they can tie.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    283 Posts

Fading for who exactly? I already know of 8 others that i met last week who are contesting the next lb top10.
    Not sure who youre aiming at here, leaderboards are becoming harder and more contested especially over the last few events.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by umarrahim View Post
    It has been mentioned to add hidden random decimal places to points.

They would be so small that it won't affect your points much.

If someone has 200.0008 points, and the person below him has 200.0007 points, the person above would be ahead in ranking. Only 200 would be shown, but they won't be tied.

If the person below gets more points, he would jump ahead. There's no way they can tie.

It would still show on the leaderboard who is in the top10 thus making it possible for the people who want to tie to keep opening until theyre all tied, will take longer, even days, but wont stop anyone-

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Spooked For This Useful Post:

Mt. Everest or sometimes under SpaceTimeStudio’s Basement
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spooked View Post
    It would still show on the leaderboard who is in the top10 thus making it possible for the people who want to tie to keep opening until theyre all tied, will take longer, even days, but wont stop anyone-
    Well said. I Tried explaining to that guy but he never understood

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spooked View Post
    How exactly could you tell.

That is as absurd as deliberately tieing with someone in timed lb or in swamp temple, except harder since the precision is upto the ten thousandths place, hidden from the players and every egg/boss provides randomized points.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ilove_Poopoo; 04-10-2021 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

This only reason this tie broke is, warriors points were well below the standards of top 10 which way too many warriors were on the same points, if you look at mages and rogues, it was slightly higher which made it harder for lots of people to reach to that point.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Undershooting For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Undershooting View Post
    This only reason this tie broke is, warriors points were well below the standards of top 10 which way too many warriors were on the same points, if you look at mages and rogues, it was slightly higher which made it harder for lots of people to reach to that point.
    It's not about trust or no trust or points.

There's no need for ties, top 50 spots should only be for top 50 players. No ties

Its not that hard to implement either.

They just need to add hidden random decimal places to the points.

For example:

Green Eggs give points between 1.0005-1.0009 randomly.

The decimal places aren't shown to players, but they make an impact of rankings.

This way players can't tie.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

Ties shouldn’t be allowed in a competitive event. Top 10 is top 10, not top 40-30. Just because STS allows it doesn’t make it right. Lol if top 10 rewards go to 30-40 players, then what is the point of top 25-50 rewards??? If this is the case STS should just remove too 25-50 rewards, they’re useless if everyone just ties.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Alghost For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Here is another example for all those posting "ties shouldn't exist"

As mentioned its not a good comparison to compare AL to things like sports because those are directly player vs player events

Also they would be competing in the same time zones... When have you ever heard of the Olympics being held in multiple countries or people from different countries not actually running along side each other on the same track?

If you want to compare the AL leaderboards to anything its best comparison would be say another game as similar as possible. The largest and best comparison that comes to mind would be "World of Warcraft".

World of Warcraft doesn't even have a leaderboard for PVE related activities in the game. The only leaderboard they seem to have is for Player vs Player Arenas.

So if anything having a leaderboard for PvE is an added bonus given to us in this game, and to save having to make sure everyone has to be playing same time, its enabled so person A from 1 side of the world can get to #1 just the same as person B whos on the other side of the world.

The reason these posts have come up before (rarely) and also why its being talked about again now is because as most are aware a "agreed upon" tie by several warriors was broken by 1 person.

You don't need to add decimal points to scores to try to make it random.

Just need to farm more points than the person next to you or if you happen to be running with a friend you've made who lives other side of the world then you can also do it together. Which if I'm not mistaken is half the point of this game... being social.

This is essentially a thread about being upset a tie was broken.

As I've already said, bite the bullet and let it be a lesson learned.

Next event make sure you secure your position on that leaderboard without holding back!

Simple.

So let's just be grateful the opportunity/option is there to be able to achieve a leaderboard on events with friends IF WE CHOOSE TO. If you choose to do it alone that's great too either way you'll be winning but don't try to get the freedom of choice we have taken away because we're feeling salty over being tricked.

1 <3

edit :

Just to make it more clear WoW is the best comparison, besides the PVP leaderboards they have, do they also have a PvE leaderboard yes... which is for the overall top players... exactly like we have here in AL... and have a look at it yourselves and see if there's any ties or not...

https://www.worldofwargraphs.com/pve-stats/best-players
    Last edited by BaronB; 04-10-2021 at 11:15 AM.
    Godfather of Arlor

25. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Here is another example for all those posting "ties shouldn't exist"

As mentioned its not a good comparison to compare AL to things like sports because those are directly player vs player events

Also they would be competing in the same time zones... When have you ever heard of the Olympics being held in multiple countries or people from different countries not actually running along side each other on the same track?

If you want to compare the AL leaderboards to anything its best comparison would be say another game as similar as possible. The largest and best comparison that comes to mind would be "World of Warcraft".

World of Warcraft doesn't even have a leaderboard for PVE related activities in the game. The only leaderboard they seem to have is for Player vs Player Arenas.

So if anything having a leaderboard for PvE is an added bonus given to us in this game, and to save having to make sure everyone has to be playing same time, its enabled so person A from 1 side of the world can get to #1 just the same as person B whos on the other side of the world.

The reason these posts have come up before (rarely) and also why its being talked about again now is because as most are aware a "agreed upon" tie by several warriors was broken by 1 person.

You don't need to add decimal points to scores to try to make it random.

Just need to farm more points than the person next to you or if you happen to be running with a friend you've made who lives other side of the world then you can also do it together. Which if I'm not mistaken is half the point of this game... being social.

This is essentially a thread about being upset a tie was broken.

As I've already said, bite the bullet and let it be a lesson learned.

Next event make sure you secure your position on that leaderboard without holding back!

Simple.

So let's just be grateful the opportunity/option is there to be able to achieve a leaderboard on events with friends IF WE CHOOSE TO. If you choose to do it alone that's great too either way you'll be winning but don't try to get the freedom of choice we have taken away because we're feeling salty over being tricked.

1 <3

edit :

Just to make it more clear WoW is the best comparison, besides the PVP leaderboards they have, do they also have a PvE leaderboard yes... which is for the overall top players... exactly like we have here in AL... and have a look at it yourselves and see if there's any ties or not...

https://www.worldofwargraphs.com/pve-stats/best-players
    It's plain and simple Baron.

Top 25 spots should be for 25 people, not 50 people.

Cheers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by umarrahim View Post
    It's plain and simple Baron.

Top 25 spots should be for 25 people, not 50 people.

Cheers.

Yeah and if you got X amount of points to get to 25th...

Next day when you go to sleep and some else wakes up and gets exactly the same amount of points to be 25th...

You can either choose to run so you over take them so you finish 25th an they finish 26th, or you stop running or come to a agreement and you might both finish 25th or he/she will over take you and youll be 26th instead.

Plain and simple isnt it ?

Name:  cheers.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  8.3 KB

*sips tea*
    Godfather of Arlor