Thread: Offensive Vs Defensive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Offensive Vs Defensive

Nooby here, and just started playing over a month. My two toons started off from different routes, one was built more for offensive (high on Att/Dmg/DPS) and the other was inclined toward defense (Def/HP) and they both eventually reach lvl21. I feel there are vast differences between the two game plays in 3D missions as well as in PvP.

Offensive minded
    - Power skills seems to be much more powerful, a charged VS can easily kill enemies even before doing the leap.
    - Power re-charge (or you call it cooling off time or something like that) seems to be faster
    - Finish off enemies/ bosses in double time (This is a huge advantage)
    - Feeding during the mission is a must. Miss on one feed, I am dead. So re-running same solo mission and knowing the feeding points make completing the mission a walk in the park
    - Fare slightly better in PvP (I feel that I recovered from stun faster)
    - Attack button (i.e. wielding of weapons) is very responsive

Defensive minded
    - Power skill seems to do less damage, a fully charged VS + Leap normally kills the enemies but not everytime...must follow up with FB or Hellblades
    - Cooling off took quite long...ended up with no power available for use and have to make a quick get away from the enemies
    - HP Regen is fast
    - Need not worry about when to feed or missing one feeding point
    - Takes longer time to kill enemies in both PvE and PvP (so in PvP, i died before i could kill my opp lol)
    - Slaughtered to the bone in PvP everytime (or perhaps its just me...no skill)
    - Attack button is very sluggish...seriously

I thought at first it was the tablet but I tried changing weapons from Electric Headsman to Firebrand and notice that attack button is more responsive when using firebrand...so does DPS value affect the sluggishness of the attack button? Is everyone experiencing the same thing or its just my lousy tablet

What puzzle me the most is that...is there any relationship between the offensive built and the damage caused by the power skills?

Thanks to Dev team...i enjoy the game. keep up the good work

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Considering 1 attack gives you a +0.0556 damage plus +0.0556 skill damage plus +0.0909 DPS bonus as well as an unknown critical rate bonus, coupled with the fact that the damage to skill damage ratio is 1:1 (every 1 damage gives you an increase of 1 damage in every skill), an attack-based build is tremendously stronger than a defense-based build. The trade-off for the attack-based build in any game however would be survivability, i.e. increased HP potion consumption. I'm unsure where you're getting the difference in skill cool-down and the responsiveness of your attack button, though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Physiologic For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Two handed weapons have a lower DPS because they swing slower. Duel wield weapons swing a lot faster so the attack button can be spammed. At least that is my thought. Other threads mention this as well. So it is either hit hard but slowly or hit lightly but quickly.
    PL Characters: Azumel Hapexamendios Dazamo
    SL Characters: Azumel Hapexamendios Dazamo
    DL Characters: Azumel Lilit

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazamo For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stout View Post
    Nooby here, and just started playing over a month. My two toons started off from different routes, one was built more for offensive (high on Att/Dmg/DPS) and the other was inclined toward defense (Def/HP) and they both eventually reach lvl21. I feel there are vast differences between the two game plays in 3D missions as well as in PvP.

Offensive minded
    - Power skills seems to be much more powerful, a charged VS can easily kill enemies even before doing the leap.
    - Power re-charge (or you call it cooling off time or something like that) seems to be faster
    - Finish off enemies/ bosses in double time (This is a huge advantage)
    - Feeding during the mission is a must. Miss on one feed, I am dead. So re-running same solo mission and knowing the feeding points make completing the mission a walk in the park
    - Fare slightly better in PvP (I feel that I recovered from stun faster)
    - Attack button (i.e. wielding of weapons) is very responsive

Defensive minded
    - Power skill seems to do less damage, a fully charged VS + Leap normally kills the enemies but not everytime...must follow up with FB or Hellblades
    - Cooling off took quite long...ended up with no power available for use and have to make a quick get away from the enemies
    - HP Regen is fast
    - Need not worry about when to feed or missing one feeding point
    - Takes longer time to kill enemies in both PvE and PvP (so in PvP, i died before i could kill my opp lol)
    - Slaughtered to the bone in PvP everytime (or perhaps its just me...no skill)
    - Attack button is very sluggish...seriously

I thought at first it was the tablet but I tried changing weapons from Electric Headsman to Firebrand and notice that attack button is more responsive when using firebrand...so does DPS value affect the sluggishness of the attack button? Is everyone experiencing the same thing or its just my lousy tablet

What puzzle me the most is that...is there any relationship between the offensive built and the damage caused by the power skills?

Thanks to Dev team...i enjoy the game. keep up the good work
    I have noticed that with my regular headsman, although the electric one does give a lot more hp than the regular one. It feels much slower than using a two handed, at this point I think I prefer the higher dps weapons just because it feels much faster. I would go all vitality/grit crystals then probably firebrand for the weapon as mentioned by chilango in his guide. But then again the extra hp is a huge benefit on the headsman.

If you still are not getting it.
    DPS is damage per second. Lets make it simple say the firebrand does 5 damage every 0.5 seconds. Thats 10 damage per second. While the headsman does lets say 7 damage every second. That is 7 damage every second. The cooldown time for the firebrand is much smaller than for the headsman. Therefore you are allowed to strike much faster on the firebrand than the headsman.
    Last edited by Prestige; 05-25-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Dark Legends: Fear- Level 31
    Star Legends: Decay- Level 46 Operative
    Pocket Legends: Prestige- Level 53 Bird

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Prestige For This Useful Post: